PDA

View Full Version : Best location to learn to drive?

Alrock
06-Feb-12, 18:21
Planning on learning to drive but before getting my provisional & insurance so that I can hit the road I would like to be able to learn the basics & get the feel for the car off the public highway somewhere. Was thinking about Castletown airfield but I believe that it is in pretty bad condition these days....
Any recommendations for alternative spots, preferably large enough to get used to going up & down the gearbox.

Corrie 3
06-Feb-12, 18:45
Planning on learning to drive but before getting my provisional & insurance so that I can hit the road I would like to be able to learn the basics & get the feel for the car off the public highway somewhere. Was thinking about Castletown airfield but I believe that it is in pretty bad condition these days....
Any recommendations for alternative spots, preferably large enough to get used to going up & down the gearbox.
"Hit the road" ???? ......... Lets hope it's not your nose that hits the road first!!!!
Best Location?......... Miles away from me, how about Shetland?
Get yourself a driving Instructor like everyone else, they will show you how to "Go up and down the gearbox"...even if you choose an automatic !!!
God help us Alrock, you young ones scare me to death when it comes to driving!!!

C3......................:eek::eek::roll:

billmoseley
06-Feb-12, 19:36
god corrie is only having a laugh, they got i before i could

Corrie 3
06-Feb-12, 19:41
Good grief "Corrie 3" - do you, honestly, just scan the General Forum so as you can take the "mickey" outta someone (certainly looks like it !!! ) ..... [evil]

Sorry Iffy......It's the "hitting the road" bit that worried me before he has even gone up and down the gears!!!!!!! I just hope Alrock doesn't become a statistic up here in his enthusiasm. Best get a proper Instructor is my message, it sounds as though Alrock already has a car and I can just see the temptation to take it out on the road before he has taken his test which is a bit worrying!! We get 7/8 year old's on the road where I live on their quad bikes, no licence, no insurance, an off road vehicle and Parents that dont give a ****
The roads are becoming dangerous places, do it properly Alrock!!!

C3..............[disgust][disgust]

Alrock
06-Feb-12, 21:05
Ahhh.... Business as usual on e org I see....
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

On a more serious note....

A: I am not a (potential) boy racer (I'm in my 40's).
B: My partner has a car & I would like to learn so as to do my share of the driving.
C: I would still have to drive on the road before my test even if I did take lessons from day one, hence why I would like to get some confidence & feel for it before hitting (OK bad terminology) the road.

So...
Any serious suggestions?

starfish
06-Feb-12, 21:18
good for you alrock goes to show corrie 3 not alway right in her judgement she had you down for some kid not someone who is more mature good luck to you hope you find somewhere to have a go to see if driving suit you

Alrock
06-Feb-12, 21:20
good for you alrock goes to show corrie 3 not alway right in her judgement she had you down for some kid not someone who is more mature good luck to you hope you find somewhere to have a go to see if driving suit you

Thank You...
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/021/9/d/devil_ok_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

Phill
06-Feb-12, 22:14
Just find a quiet road out the way somewhere and get your partner to take you out. Once you've been up n' down the box a few times you'll soon get the swing of handbrake turns, racing starts and high speed reversing manoeuvres.

(that last bit is a joke, just in case the humour polis are aboot)

It's worth getting an instructor to get you out for your first run, stop any bad habits starting and you get to knacker someone else box 'till you get it right.

Eilanboy
07-Feb-12, 17:25
I took grand-daughter up to Wick Airport Industrial estate before she went to a driving instructor just to give her a bit of confidence in moving off and stopping.Large area in the middle beside Caithness Creels is ideal,

john winters
08-Feb-12, 20:50
i would say the m1 motoway its in a straight line theres no roundabouts on that hardley saying that you could get no easyer than caithness 1 round about sorry sleeping bobby but they still get confussed .com not much traffic , no major traffic lights and people wants easy, er roads come on if you pass your test up ere by law you can not drive further south, because it is a caithness license ,,,lololol,,,

highlander2222
08-Feb-12, 20:51
I took grand-daughter up to Wick Airport Industrial estate before she went to a driving instructor just to give her a bit of confidence in moving off and stopping.Large area in the middle beside Caithness Creels is ideal,

You still need a provisional+ Insurance to drive there

john winters
08-Feb-12, 22:26
i can tell your from up ere you can not drive with a provicional licence on the m1 lololol so i would consider goin further south for your retest pal