PDA

View Full Version : Poor Grammar The Way To Go On The Org

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:44
I'm new to caithness.org forum just posting 4 threads and I've notice if your grammar is spot on no spelling mistakes you get accused of copying stuff of the web, well if you've got a problem with the way I write/type that's your prerogative, you'll won't make me feel bad due to jealousy or whatever!

Phill
04-Feb-12, 18:57
Oooh, could this be the start of some comedy?

Gud grammer and spellink on the org, never! No outrage yet?

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:59
Oooh, could this be the start of some comedy?

Good grammar and spelling on the org, never! No outrage yet?

Could be depends on the community on the org!Lol

starfish
04-Feb-12, 19:00
I'm new to caithness.org forum just posting 4 threads and I've notice if your grammar is spot on no spelling mistakes you get accused of copying stuff of the web, well if you've got a problem with the way I write/type that's your prerogative, you'll won't make me feel bad due to jealousy or whatever! i wood not woory if you spell thing wrong or do not use CAPITAL LETTERS or us full stop you get the same reaction

Phill
04-Feb-12, 19:09
A GOOD RANTY ALWAYS GOES DOWN WELL ESPECIALLY IF YOU LEAVE OUT ANY PUNKTUASHUN AND THRO IN SUM MISPELLED WORDS RAMBLE ON A BIT ABOUT SOMETHING BARELY RELEVANT AND DO IT ALL IT CAPS AND THREATEN TO LEAVE IN A HISSY FIT

There, fixed it.

Corrie 3
04-Feb-12, 19:15
I'm new to caithness.org forum just posting 4 threads and I've notice if your grammar is spot on no spelling mistakes you get accused of copying stuff of the web, well if you've got a problem with the way I write/type that's your prerogative, you'll won't make me feel bad due to jealousy or whatever!
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!!!
You have just told me that you use spellchecker, was it broke when you typed this? It's strange how your C&P posts have no spelling mistakes whatsoever and yet your other posts which are not C&P have mistakes in them. At the end of the day does it matter, we all make mistakes!!!
Get a grip Man, chucking toys out of prams get a bit boring after a while !!

C3........:roll::roll:

Dog-eared
04-Feb-12, 20:30
Eh ! fits iss aboot thin ??

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 20:43
A GOOD RANTY ALWAYS GOES DOWN WELL ESPECIALLY IF YOU LEAVE OUT ANY PUNKTUASHUN AND THRO IN SUM MISPELLED WORDS RAMBLE ON A BIT ABOUT SOMETHING BARELY RELEVANT AND DO IT ALL IT CAPS AND THREATEN TO LEAVE IN A HISSY FIT

There, fixed it.

and for those who continually write in small letters without using puntuation and go on and on changing to a different sentence or subject without so much as a dot its up to
them if they are happy sometimes it really helps to make things more understand but if they want to right in won long winded waffly sentence but it cant be a sentence because there is no start or end to it so maybe its just
others to blame for not being understand this owever it may be the laziness of people or maybe they is just doing it because they is thrawn and the more people menshun it then the more they wont change and woodnt hit teh caps lock button if theyre life depended on it the phones ringing so i better answer it left window open and its raining so maybe better answer phone quick before too much rayne gets in or shut the window firts then answer the phone oh sod it teh phones stopped ringing no rush to shut the window then

John Little
04-Feb-12, 22:25
I blame Dr Johnson.

Tilly Teckel
05-Feb-12, 03:00
I blame Dr Johnson.

He did say this... "He that has abilities to conceive perfection will not easily be content without it; and, since perfection cannot be reached, will lose the opportunity of doing well in the vain hope of unattainable excellence."... however I think even he would have been vexed by the use of the English language on 'e org!

Aaldtimer
05-Feb-12, 04:09
He did say this... "He that has abilities to conceive perfection will not easily be content without it; and, since perfection cannot be reached, will lose the opportunity of doing well in the vain hope of unattainable excellence."... however I think even he would have been vexed by the use of the English language on 'e org!

Aw! Bliddy shame eh?:)

Blackbird
05-Feb-12, 08:24
Another thing, at the risk of hi-jacking the thread, whatever you do don't go agreeing too much with another post or a sock puppet you may become ;)

Never heard of that phrase until I came onto here. Must be outside too much !

John Little
05-Feb-12, 09:36

Aye - but the fact is that he would have had no grounds to be vexed. The spelling of many of our words is completely arbitrary and without rationality and they are spelled that way because that is how he put them in his dictionary.

He concentrated entirely on the etymology of words and not their pronunciation - in fact I think not at all. As long as the meaning was correct, according to his understanding, how it was said mattered not a jot to him.

So much of how 'proper' spelling is done is purely because of his own ideas and in many cases I think he was having a laugh.

catran
05-Feb-12, 20:57
Well, soon the younger generation will not be able to write. Full stop, so used to their laptops, handwriting will soon be extinct.

catran
05-Feb-12, 21:19
Never mind the grammar and spelling, will the youngsters be able to handwrite?

Tilly Teckel
05-Feb-12, 23:35
That bothers me too catran. My son is 14 and he will always type rather than handwrite wherever possible. His writing has never been the best and I always thought that it would improve with time but unless he uses it, it won't!

secrets in symmetry
06-Feb-12, 00:01
He concentrated entirely on the etymology of words and not their pronunciation - in fact I think not at all. As long as the meaning was correct, according to his understanding, how it was said mattered not a jot to him.Thank you for that. It explains a lot!

RecQuery
06-Feb-12, 08:46
Well, soon the younger generation will not be able to write. Full stop, so used to their laptops, handwriting will soon be extinct.

That bothers me too catran. My son is 14 and he will always type rather than handwrite wherever possible. His writing has never been the best and I always thought that it would improve with time but unless he uses it, it won't!

I still lament the loss of the ability to carve stone tablets or even write on wax tablets. Kids today eh?

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-12, 08:57
My Grandad told me many years ago that in his day at school if you could write on a slate with a piece of chalk "coal is black and brittle and easily got" you had enough education to last you your working life.

How times have changed.

catran
07-Feb-12, 00:11

maybe it will come to him in time and as far as punctuation, well that is a laugh, the educated amongst us think it is Etonian to have inverted comas, hyphens, commas and all the rest of the jargon when they do not even understand. We were always told "When in doubt, leave it out" I must agree, sensible.

ducati
07-Feb-12, 00:31
I did the art of comminication a great service when I gave up Stylus for Keyboard

TAFKAL
07-Feb-12, 01:33
maybe it will come to him in time and as far as punctuation, well that is a laugh, the educated amongst us think it is Etonian to have inverted comas, hyphens, commas and all the rest of the jargon when they do not even understand. We were always told "When in doubt, leave it out" I must agree, sensible.I was told to put a comma where you pause for breath in a ramble... Never to leave one out.