PDA

View Full Version : Road tax on cyclists

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:01
A road tax on cyclists being a cyclist myself I’m all for it just to get respect from other road users, this is being considered by Scottish Government civil servants. The prospect of cyclist paying a charge, like motorist may annoy many cyclists but I think everybody using the road should be in the same boat regardless of vehicle, 10 per cent of all journeys in Scotland are by bike. This also raises the question of how much should the charge be for cyclists and how could it be enforced? Well all cyclists over 17 of age using the road will have to carry some form of identification similar to a driving licence card, kids under the age of 16 some sort of cycling proficiency course should be implemented in Scottish schools. Any cyclist over 17 on the road without any tax the same rules should apply when motorists are caught with no tax but policing this is another matter.

golach
04-Feb-12, 18:05
A road tax on cyclists being a cyclist myself I’m all for it just to get respect from other road users, this is being considered by Scottish Government civil servants. The prospect of cyclist paying a charge, like motorist may annoy many cyclists but I think everybody using the road should be in the same boat regardless of vehicle, 10 per cent of all journeys in Scotland are by bike. This also raises the question of how much should the charge be for cyclists and how could it be enforced? Well all cyclists over 17 of age using the road will have to carry some form of identification similar to a driving licence card, kids under the age of 16 some sort of cycling proficiency course should be implemented in Scottish schools. Any cyclist over 17 on the road without any tax the same rules should apply when motorists are caught with no tax but policing this is another matter.

Is this your own thoughts or are you cherry picking off the internet, then cutting and posting on here for the hell of it? [disgust]

dozy
04-Feb-12, 18:08
Road tax for a push bike is pushing it ,but having proper road users insurance would get my vote.

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:16
Is this your own thoughts or are you cherry picking off the internet, then cutting and posting on here for the hell of it? [disgust]

I'm a keen cyclist commuting 5 days a week these are my own thoughts written office word 2003!

Corrie 3
04-Feb-12, 18:18
Probably a bit of both golach. We have seen 2 threads started by this new user and both of them C&P. And, both of them can be classed as contentious!!
Never mind, .....cyclists and wind turbines make a change from the BBC going overboard today that England is going to have a bit of snow!! I have never known such silly reporting over a wee bit of snow!! My God, it's January, it's winter, expect snow and ice for God's sake. I don't like using the term "Southern Softies" but in this case today, watching the BBC news channel go hysterical over a wee bit of snow has made me ashamed to be called British. What a load of Wimps we have in London and the South East of England. Heathrow has cancelled loads of flights tomorrow and the snow hasn't even hit there yet, talk about giving up!!!!!!
OK, rant over.....I just hope there will be some interesting news tomorrow.
And yes, cyclists should be charged for using the roads and wind turbines are useless!!!

C3.............;);)

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:26
In Holland cyclists are first before cars, in Scotland and the rest of the UK cyclists are treated like scum by other road users so road tax or some sort of licence scheme would be a good idea for cyclists.

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 18:27
Probably a bit of both golach. We have seen 2 threads started by this new user and both of them C&P. And, both of them can be classed as contentious!!
Never mind, .....cyclists and wind turbines make a change from the BBC going overboard today that England is going to have a bit of snow!! I have never known such silly reporting over a wee bit of snow!! My God, it's January, it's winter, expect snow and ice for God's sake. I don't like using the term "Southern Softies" but in this case today, watching the BBC news channel go hysterical over a wee bit of snow has made me ashamed to be called British. What a load of Wimps we have in London and the South East of England. Heathrow has cancelled loads of flights tomorrow and the snow hasn't even hit there yet, talk about giving up!!!!!!
OK, rant over.....I just hope there will be some interesting news tomorrow.
And yes, cyclists should be charged for using the roads and wind turbines are useless!!!

C3.............;);)

I also use spell checker!

Corrie 3
04-Feb-12, 18:30
I also use spell checker!
Well done, good for you !!!
You didn't pay attention at school then?

C3.............:roll::roll:;)

Gronnuck
04-Feb-12, 19:10
In Holland cyclists are first before cars, in Scotland and the rest of the UK cyclists are treated like scum by other road users so road tax or some sort of licence scheme would be a good idea for cyclists.

If you've lived and worked in The Netherlands you will know that the roads etc were built to include the use of bicycles. This goes back many years. Cycling has always been popular in The Netherlands as it is a fairly flat country with just a few hills in Zuid-Limburg. Remember too that after the war much of the transport infastructure had to be rebuilt so facilities for cyclists were included.
To say that cyclists are first before cars is erroneous; the country has motorways, dual carrigeways and main roads just the same as the UK. The difference is that there is often a parallel and quite seperate cycle path. Cyclists are not allowed to use the road where a cycle path is provided. Cyclists are also encouraged to have public liability insurance, this is mandatory if the cyclist uses an electric bicycle.
Contrast cycling in Amsterdam with say Edinburgh. Amsterdam has cycle routes to seperate cyclists and car drivers, some of their streets are given over exclusively to cyclists but when they do come together they are managed in a similar manner to any of our cities. Edinburgh is an old city built on hills with no room for cyclists so they're allowed to use the 'Greenways'; a very poor compromise. As far as I can remember there are only two or three dedicated cycle routes in the city.
As with any mode of transport you're going to get good and bad useers; I've seen both in The Netherlands, Germany and Begium as well as in the UK.

Beat Bug
04-Feb-12, 19:18
Road tax for a push bike is pushing it ,but having proper road users insurance would get my vote.
I agree! Cyclists SHOULD be insured.

pat
04-Feb-12, 19:20
Corrie 3
Re the weather comment on post 5 - it is not January it is 4th February, not surprised to see snow in the south getting all the headlines they are not interested in what happens north of Watford.

billmoseley
04-Feb-12, 19:32
how about targets on cyclists :cool::eek:

Phill
04-Feb-12, 19:32
Oswacky, can we have some thoughts from 'you' on Independence, religion, conspiracy theories and what time Tesco opens please?
:cool:

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 19:37

You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more.How many times do you see cyclists riding side by side on the Dounreay road when there are 100's of cars passing them.
Thats either ignorance or arrogance.Surely they are aware they should not be doing that on a busy road.
When cars are stationary at traffic lights how many times do you see a cyclist sneak by on the inside,pass everything in front of him/her and ignore the red light.
Even seen them go up onto pavements to get by a line of stationary traffic.

You have to earn respect,you dont get it.

Corrie 3
04-Feb-12, 19:41
Corrie 3
Re the weather comment on post 5 - it is not January it is 4th February, not surprised to see snow in the south getting all the headlines they are not interested in what happens north of Watford.
No Pat, it's still January. I work on Caithness time and am always a month behind everyone else in the world!!
And............the BBC website is just full of snow stories from doon soooth...Aaaaaarrrrrgh!!!

C3............[disgust]:roll:;)

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 19:45
You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more.How many times do you see cyclists riding side by side on the Dounreay road when there are 100's of cars passing them.
Thats either ignorance or arrogance.Surely they are aware they should not be doing that on a busy road.
When cars are stationary at traffic lights how many times do you see a cyclist sneak by on the inside,pass everything in front of him/her and ignore the red light.
Even seen them go up onto pavements to get by a line of stationary traffic.

You have to earn respect,you dont get it.

Does a solo cyclist who rides on the Dounreay road get your respect?

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 20:08
Does a solo cyclist who rides on the Dounreay road get your respect?

I didnt say anything against solo cyclists on the Dounreay road did i?

weezer 316
04-Feb-12, 20:10
There should be road tax o uis for sure. Not like the motorists have, that would be uninforcable, but a sinlg epayment added onto the purchase of a bike. We clearly dot do nay damage reallly to the roads but we should pay for their creation and upkeep.

Oh and a copy of the highway code to each driver too in that price. They couldnt give a damn about people on a bike.

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 20:30
I didnt say anything against solo cyclists on the Dounreay road did i?

No you didn't, I was just asking you a question which you haven't answered yet.

Do you just disrespect the cyclists that ride 2 abreast on the Dounreay road and the ones who undertake standing traffic?

And while we are on the subject, if you don't respect the cyclists that are 2 abreast on the Dounreat road, how do you display that disrespect?

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 21:29
No you didn't, I was just asking you a question which you haven't answered yet.

Do you just disrespect the cyclists that ride 2 abreast on the Dounreay road and the ones who undertake standing traffic?

And while we are on the subject, if you don't respect the cyclists that are 2 abreast on the Dounreat road, how do you display that disrespect?

I'm not answering your stupid, pointless question because i dont have any issues with them be disrespectful about.
I have no problems whatsoever with them.

How do i display my disrespect to 2 abreast cyclists?what do you want me to say? I beep my horn at them or drive by really close to them as i overtake them and put them in danger?
You would love that to be the answer but sadly for you i dont drive a car,never have done.
So i'm not one of those drivers who show cyclist no respect or drive dangerously close to them.
Sorry to disappoint you on that.

I made the point that there are some cyclist who ignore the highway code and deliberately ignore red lights so its little wonder some people dont treat them with respect,especially
when they moan about not getting respect themselves.
It had nothing to do with disrespect,just an observation.

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 21:32
Obviously I hit a raw nerve.

But MPH said

"You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more"

and then went on to back track

"I made the point that there are some cyclist who ignore the highway code"

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 21:50
The time for riding two abreast when the roads are less busy like Sunday morning with hardly any traffic on the road, I think its total stupid and dangerous cycling two abreast in heavy traffic when everybody trying to get to and from work especially on the Dounreay to Thurso road. Its supercilious I'm so clever I don't care Dounreay worker attitude oh look at me I'm cycling two abreast holding up all the traffic not considering for one minute the potential danger to themselves and others. On principle I never cycle two abreast when traffic condition ain't fit and dangerous, strong words are given to cyclists who tries cycle along side in these conditions, I leave two abreast for Sunday mornings!

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 22:00
How many vehicles per minute constitutes 'busy'? Busy compared to what?

offcomedun
04-Feb-12, 22:10
I think insurance is a good idea as most drivers seem to ignore the presence of cyclists and accidents are common.....I also think it should be compulsory for drivers to have to slow down to 20mph when passing cyclists...and for all cars to be fitted with camera's which record the driving standards of the person behind the wheel.
The sentences for careless driving when a car collides with a cyclist should be increased if the cameras show poor driving .

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 22:45
Obviously I hit a raw nerve.

But MPH said

"You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more"

and then went on to back track

"I made the point that there are some cyclist who ignore the highway code"

Rheghead said

"Do you just disrespect the cyclists that ride 2 abreast on the Dounreay road and the ones who undertake standing traffic?"

How have you hit a raw nerve?I never at any stage said i had disrespect for them, if some of them ,and yes i should have said some of them in the first place,
if some of them chose to deliberately ignore the laws of the road then they wont get treated with respect from other road users who are respectful of others.

I said it was an observation,since when does that mean i'm being disrespectful?
You asked how i displayed that disrespect,i've answered.I've none to display.Nit pick away.

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 23:10
I said it was an observation,since when does that mean i'm being disrespectful?
You asked how i displayed that disrespect,i've answered.I've none to display.Nit pick away.

Why say "You have to earn respect,you dont get it. " when directed to cyclists in general.

It is obvious from your posts in this thread that you gave me enough cause for me to think that you don't respect cyclists. You grouped all cyclists together and now you are trying to weedle your way out of it. How cowardly, say what you mean, it is afterall a message forum, why hold back?

David B
04-Feb-12, 23:23
Winston Churchill abolished Road Tax in 1937.

Motorists pay VED which is based on emissions.

Cyclists would fall in to the zero rate (as many fuel efficient motor vehicles already do).

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 23:27
Why say "You have to earn respect,you dont get it. " when directed to cyclists in general.

It is obvious from your posts in this thread that you gave me enough cause for me to think that you don't respect cyclists. You grouped all cyclists together and now you are trying to weedle your way out of it. How cowardly, say what you mean, it is afterall a message forum, why hold back?

Well to put in a nutshell mate I hate cyclists who act like idiots on the road taring other cyclist with the same brush. I tell you this now I'm no coward I'll back this up all the way!

Phill
04-Feb-12, 23:48
Well to put in a nutshell mate I hate car drivers who act like idiots on the road taring other car drivers with the same brush. I tell you this now I'm no coward I'll back this up all the way!
Well said!!

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 23:50
Well to put in a nutshell mate I hate cyclists who act like idiots on the road taring other cyclist with the same brush. I tell you this now I'm no coward I'll back this up all the way!

I hate motorists who act like idiots.

changilass
04-Feb-12, 23:55
As usual, in all walks of life, its the few that knack it up for the many.

Its life, get over it.

Mystical Potato Head
05-Feb-12, 00:03

I'm not weedling my way out of anything.I'm not being cowardly,I'm not holding back and i have said what i meant and i'm certainly not rising to your baiting,you carry on proving what a troll you really are.
I've admitted i should have said some cyclists but thats not enough for you. You said i gave you enough cause for you to THINK that i dont respect cyclists.Think what you wish.
I've told you i dont drive,how do you think i used to get around in my younger days,yes a bloody bike.So i used to cycle myself,including cycling to Dounreay occassionaly in the summer during the early to mid
1980's. Dont have to prove it to you because the people who know me and those that i used to work with know i used to do it.

Like i said, think what you want to,stir it up all you want.

Rheghead
05-Feb-12, 00:24
I'm not weedling my way out of anything.I'm not being cowardly,I'm not holding back and i have said what i meant and i'm certainly not rising to your baiting,you carry on proving what a troll you really are.
I've admitted i should have said some cyclists but thats not enough for you. You said i gave you enough cause for you to THINK that i dont respect cyclists.Think what you wish.
I've told you i dont drive,how do you think i used to get around in my younger days,yes a bloody bike.So i used to cycle myself,including cycling to Dounreay occassionaly in the summer during the early to mid
1980's. Dont have to prove it to you because the people who know me and those that i used to work with know i used to do it.

Like i said, think what you want to,stir it up all you want.

Bang comes the trolling accusation, I might have known, it gets very predictable that one. I've only tried to get you to clarify your assertion that all cyclists need to earn respect when it is obvious you think they don't.

You are contradicting yourself, you are rising to the bait by constantly trying to deny that you hate cyclists. lol All I've done is to ask questions and you are tying yourself in knots.

And it is quite rich of you to accuse me of trolling you when you were obviously after a reaction. You never admitted that you should have said some cyclists contravene the Highway code until I pulled you up on your prejudice because I quote :-
"You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more". That is a matter of public record in this thread.

All you needed to say was that you never intended to generalise and that would have been the end of the matter as far as I was concerned. pfft

linnie612
05-Feb-12, 00:34
gentlemen - stop 'weedling', start wheedling

John Little
05-Feb-12, 00:37
Or settle it with a bike race; Thurso- Dounreay.

May the best man win.

Rheghead
05-Feb-12, 00:42
Or settle it with a bike race; Thurso- Dounreay.

May the best man win.

Perhaps that is not a bad idea.

Phill
05-Feb-12, 00:45
Cycle fight! Cycle fight! Cycle fight! Cycle fight!

linnie612
05-Feb-12, 00:45
They might be competitively matched and end up racing two abreast...

John Little
05-Feb-12, 00:47
They might be competitively matched and end up racing two abreast...

I have my doubts...

Mystical Potato Head
05-Feb-12, 01:08
Bang comes the trolling accusation, I might have known, it gets very predictable that one. I've only tried to get you to clarify your assertion that all cyclists need to earn respect when it is obvious you think they don't.

You are contradicting yourself, you are rising to the bait by constantly trying to deny that you hate cyclists. lol All I've done is to ask questions and you are tying yourself in knots.

And it is quite rich of you to accuse me of trolling you when you were obviously after a reaction. You never admitted that you should have said some cyclists contravene the Highway code until I pulled you up on your prejudice because I quote :-
"You and your fellow cyclists might get more respect if you adhered to the highway code a bit more". That is a matter of public record in this thread.

All you needed to say was that you never intended to generalise and that would have been the end of the matter as far as I was concerned. pfft

I did admit i was wrong and that i should have said some cyclists,even if it was after you pulled me up about it i still admitted it was wrong.

Where you get the hate thing from though i have no idea, I never said i hated cyclists or implyed that i did so its little wonder i'm denying it.

Rheghead
05-Feb-12, 01:10
like a puppet on a string

Mystical Potato Head
05-Feb-12, 01:15
Could you answer the question please,where did i mention hate?

Mystical Potato Head
05-Feb-12, 01:20
A puppet on a string is better than a sock puppet that only works when someone stuffs their hand up you're arse.

Rheghead
05-Feb-12, 01:23
Could you answer the question please,where did i mention hate?

You didn't but I know that people don't need to say the word 'hate' to express their true feelings. You need to learn that it is better to stop digging when you are in a hole. We are more appreciable of someone who admits they have faux paxed, it is not so bad. I do not hate you btw just as much the same way that you don't have any bad feelings towards me lol It is just a bit of ribbing at the end of the day. :)

Corrie 3
05-Feb-12, 10:31
Well to put in a nutshell mate I hate members who act like sock puppets on the .org tarring other Trolls with the same brush. I tell you this now I'm a coward I'll back up all the way!

:eek::eek::eek:

Flynn
27-Oct-12, 17:47
Winston Churchill abolished Road Tax in 1937.

Motorists pay VED which is based on emissions.

Cyclists would fall in to the zero rate (as many fuel efficient motor vehicles already do).

Precisely. Not only fuel efficient vehicles but also electric vehicles, in fact a great many vehicles are entirely exempt from VED, read more here: http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/who-pays-road-tax/

Roads are paid for through council tax, income tax, VAT etc. all of which is also paid by cyclists. Plus some 85% of cyclists also drive, so they also pay VED and fuel duty.

I saw someone mention cameras to record bad cycling/driving, well many cyclists already record their journeys. One well known example would be Magnatom of Glasgow: http://www.youtube.com/user/magnatom Helmet/bike mounted cameras are almost standard equipment for many cyclists these days.

Apologies for commenting in an old thread, but I had to clarify that 'road tax' misconception.

Errogie
27-Oct-12, 22:26
Surely a relevant consideration here is that only a small part of road and fuel tax is spent on our roads whether for cars, cycles or pedestrians. I wouldn't mind some cycle tax if I thought it gave us a stronger voice for segregated lanes and other improvements as found in many other european countries.

One of the problems which bikes and motor cyclists have is that car drivers often just do not see or recogniise them, somehow or other their brains are prioritised to expect cars and larger vehicles, hence so many accidents at T junctions when the two wheeler has right of way. So riding two abreast in a more defensive manner can be a good tactic some of the time.

changilass
29-Oct-12, 13:11
I suppose its all the car drivers fault, nothing to do with the two wheelers weaving in and out of traffic on a whim?

Two wheelers will get more respect when they stop believing its one rule for the rest of us and a different rule for them.

Rheghead
29-Oct-12, 15:23
I suppose its all the car drivers fault, nothing to do with the two wheelers weaving in and out of traffic on a whim?

Two wheelers will get more respect when they stop believing its one rule for the rest of us and a different rule for them.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing illegal with weaving in and out of traffic if it is safe to do so, in fact I would have thought that is one of the more positive aspects of cycling in traffic which is of benefit to both motorist and cyclist alike.

Obviously if cyclists are jumping lights or causing accidents then that is another matter. Not all cyclists jump lights or turn left on a red just the same as not all motorists routinely break the speed limit yet somehow the speeders seem to think the law doesn't apply to them either. :)

golach
29-Oct-12, 15:30

Four wheelers will get respect when they stop breaking the speed limits, two wheelers cannot get up to speeds over the limit

Flynn
29-Oct-12, 16:38

You're almost correct. Most road collisions are the fault of drivers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19746515

Jerrico
29-Oct-12, 18:25
Tax on almost everything why not cyclists, also some cyclist should re-learn how to ride a bike, I think some cyclists should have proper lights instead of something barely brighter than a lit match.

Flynn
29-Oct-12, 18:46
Tax on almost everything why not cyclists, also some cyclist should re-learn how to ride a bike, I think some cyclists should have proper lights instead of something barely brighter than a lit match.

You might as well say, "Why not tax pedestrians?" What would cyclists be taxed for? They're already taxed on the purchase of the bike, the purchase of any clothing, the purchase of spares and repairs. You can't tax them for using the roads because no-one else is taxed for using roads so such a tax on cyclists would be discriminatory. You can't tax them like cars - on emissions - because a bicycle is a zero emission vehicle and therefore - like all of these (http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/who-pays-road-tax/) - exempt from vehicle excise duty. Just like everyone else cyclists pay council tax, income tax, VAT, national insurance etc. so adding to that just because they cycle would be discriminatory too. Plus a cyclist on the road is reducing congestion by one less car, reducing pollution by one less car, reducing the costs to the NHS by keeping themselves fit and healthy. So generally cyclists are saving the economy money while contributing just as much as everyone else.

Maybe cyclists should be getting rebates. ;)

Rheghead
29-Oct-12, 18:51
I think motorists who break the law should be restricted to driving a vehicle that commands zero road tax so that they can reap the benefits of cheaper driving.

Flynn
29-Oct-12, 18:56
I think motorists who break the law should be restricted to driving a vehicle that commands zero road tax so that they can reap the benefits of cheaper driving.

If you said a vehicle that commands zero Vehicle Excise Duty, I would agree, but restricting bad drivers to cars that don't require 'road tax' means they could use any vehicle they want because 'road tax' was abolished seventy-five years ago. ;)

mi16
29-Oct-12, 21:53

Going on the presumption that you mean Vehicle Exise Duty what benefit would your suggestion bring to anyone?

weezer 316
29-Oct-12, 22:50
Yes we should be taxed. Its utterly unenforcable bar a 1 off charge when you buy a new bike though. £30 maybe. I may very well already pay with my car but I want roads to drive on after all! I should pay for them

mi16
29-Oct-12, 23:23
Yes we should be taxed. Its utterly unenforcable bar a 1 off charge when you buy a new bike though. £30 maybe. I may very well already pay with my car but I want roads to drive on after all! I should pay for them

Would this tax be waived if you declared your bike for off road use only?

Southern-Gal
29-Oct-12, 23:55
I think all road users should have third party liability insurance. But I think taxing cyclists for using the road is not a good idea. Anything that helps the health of the population and is environmentally friendly should be encouraged not taxed.
And anyone living in sight of a windmill should get reduced price electric as they are the ones who have to live with the turbines :P

Flynn
30-Oct-12, 01:20

But taxed for what? You pay VAT when you buy the bike. VED does NOT pay for roads. Roads are paid for through council tax, income tax, VAT, fuel duty, tobacco duty, alcohol duty and every other tax paid in the UK. Why should cyclists be a special case and have to pay an extra tax on top when no-one else does? There is only one hypothecated tax in the UK, and that is the TV Licence.
No-one refers to tobacco and alcohol duties as 'hospital tax', so why do motorists insist on perpetuating this myth of 'road tax' and call Vehicle Excise Duty 'road tax', when it is nothing of the sort? Vehicle Excise Duty is a tax on car ownership through a banding system which changes according to either engine size or CO2/km emissions. VED is entirely avoidable by using a low or zero emission vehicle. In effect VED is a lifestyle tax which confers no special rights or priorities on anyone to use roads. The UK road network - with the exception of a couple of toll roads/bridges/tunnels - is entirely free for anyone to use.

In fact motorists should be thanking cyclists, because it was cyclists who first campaigned for and won a nationalised, good quality, hard-surfaced road system. And they did it decades before the car arrived.

changilass
30-Oct-12, 10:43
They should pay cycle tax.

They are not a special case that have to pay an extra tax that no one else does, they would just be contributing to the payment of cycle lanes - after all, they are the only ones that can use them.

Why should everyone pay towards the cost of these cycle tracks and lanes when only the cyclists are allowed to use them.

weezer 316
30-Oct-12, 10:57
Taxed for use of the roads? I DO like a road network and I DO think we, the poeple who use it, should pay for its upkeep. I pay all those taxes ou mention as a driver I would add, and I still should pay for a road system to use.

And mentioining that something is free to use....what has that got to do with anything? Its not free to build and maintain is it? And the people who use it regularly should pay for it.

I must stress I drive and cycle. So I can see both sides here.

What I would say is I would like cycle lanes on the main county roads.

Flynn
30-Oct-12, 11:34
They should pay cycle tax.

They are not a special case that have to pay an extra tax that no one else does, they would just be contributing to the payment of cycle lanes - after all, they are the only ones that can use them.

Why should everyone pay towards the cost of these cycle tracks and lanes when only the cyclists are allowed to use them.

Why do you assume cyclists do not contribute? Cycle lanes, roads, pavements, ALL are paid for through funds from the central exchequer, with revenue from council tax, income tax, VAT etc. and guess what? People who cycle pay all those taxes, so they DO pay for cycle facilities.

Anyone on a bicycle is allowed to use cycle lanes. There is nothing at all stopping you using a bicycle. If you choose not to use a provided facility is that the fault of those who do take advantage of that facility, or is it your own fault?

By your logic: why should everyone pay towards the cost of hospitals when only ill people use them? Why should everyone pay towards the cost of schools when only children use them? Why should everyone pay towards the cost of libraries when not everyone uses them? Why should everyone pay towards the cost of pavements when only pedestrians use them? Why should everyone pay towards the cost of swimming pools when not everybody swims? Etc.

Flynn
30-Oct-12, 11:36
Taxed for use of the roads? I DO like a road network and I DO think we, the poeple who use it, should pay for its upkeep. I pay all those taxes ou mention as a driver I would add, and I still should pay for a road system to use.

And mentioining that something is free to use....what has that got to do with anything? Its not free to build and maintain is it? And the people who use it regularly should pay for it.

I must stress I drive and cycle. So I can see both sides here.

What I would say is I would like cycle lanes on the main county roads.

ALL taxpayers in the UK already pay for the construction and upkeep of the UK's road system, as I have clearly explained several times now. And you want to pay more on top?

weezer 316
30-Oct-12, 15:15
ALL taxpayers in the UK already pay for the construction and upkeep of the UK's road system, as I have clearly explained several times now. And you want to pay more on top?

Yes, quite simply. We are up to our eyeballs in debt and in a large deficit because the govt has constantly spend more than it has received. Yet people moan constantly about the state of the roads (they aint that bad ) and that there aint money to fix them. The users, regular users that is, should bare the brunt of the cost. The millions of miles of road that need to be maintained.

Your cycle facilities comment is so wide of the mark its untrue. Lets say we build a cycle lane both ways on the side of the road between thurso and wick? By my reckoning it would cost several million pounds. How many people will actaully use that? maybe 20 in a week at most. I have cycled that road umpteen times and I almost never see a cyclist. You cannot possibly justify the fact I pay tax, and no where near enough to cover that let alone all the other things my tax provides as well. So no....I dont pay for it and neither do you. But I am prepared to or at least something towards it.

Flynn
30-Oct-12, 20:44
Yes, quite simply. We are up to our eyeballs in debt and in a large deficit because the govt has constantly spend more than it has received. Yet people moan constantly about the state of the roads (they aint that bad ) and that there aint money to fix them. The users, regular users that is, should bare the brunt of the cost. The millions of miles of road that need to be maintained.

Your cycle facilities comment is so wide of the mark its untrue. Lets say we build a cycle lane both ways on the side of the road between thurso and wick? By my reckoning it would cost several million pounds. How many people will actaully use that? maybe 20 in a week at most. I have cycled that road umpteen times and I almost never see a cyclist. You cannot possibly justify the fact I pay tax, and no where near enough to cover that let alone all the other things my tax provides as well. So no....I dont pay for it and neither do you. But I am prepared to or at least something towards it.

Of course I pay for them! I pay my taxes, therefore anything paid for by government departments - whether that's the dept for transport or the dept for health or the dept for education the dept for defence etc - I have paid for. I've never used the Skye bridge, but as a taxpayer I paid for it. There are hundreds of thousands of roads I have never used, but as a taxpayer I paid for them. I've never driven a military tank or fired a soldier's gun but I paid for them. We pay money to the government - tax - the government then distributes that money to its various departments who then spend that money as they see fit. That's how it works.

Rheghead
30-Oct-12, 21:24
I hope there are cycle lanes provided in Caithness, especially between Dounreay and Thurso. We are in a unique position in Caithness because the Lands End to John O'Groats event brings thousands to our county and yet we never seem to showcase its importance. By providing cycle lanes on the north route we would improve road safety and journey times during peak traffic times.

Also we need to get the next generation of youngster cycling safely, regularly and responsibly but too often they and their parents are put off by motorists driving like the clappers on relatively traffic free roads.

weezer 316
30-Oct-12, 22:36
Of course I pay for them! I pay my taxes, therefore anything paid for by government departments - whether that's the dept for transport or the dept for health or the dept for education the dept for defence etc - I have paid for. I've never used the Skye bridge, but as a taxpayer I paid for it. There are hundreds of thousands of roads I have never used, but as a taxpayer I paid for them. I've never driven a military tank or fired a soldier's gun but I paid for them. We pay money to the government - tax - the government then distributes that money to its various departments who then spend that money as they see fit. That's how it works.

urgh! It's like talking to the wall!

Im not talking about the govt paying for it, if it does then of course you have paid towards it. My point I though was pretty clear but I will restate.....you cannot justify the cost of something like cycle lanes on most of the roads, and probably all roads up here. You cant do it. Asking for a one off road tax on new bike purchases means you could justify the cost, it would raise tens of millions every year that could go to fund such expenditure....as the people buying the bikes hve provided capital to do so.

Does that make sense? You cant spend £10m on something that 20 people a week will use. If you think you can then Im gonna guess your name is Gordon brown!

And before you respond please DONT hark on about that you have paid for it. You may very well but you haevnt really, have you?!?!

Flynn
30-Oct-12, 23:05
urgh! It's like talking to the wall!

Im not talking about the govt paying for it, if it does then of course you have paid towards it. My point I though was pretty clear but I will restate.....you cannot justify the cost of something like cycle lanes on most of the roads, and probably all roads up here. You cant do it. Asking for a one off road tax on new bike purchases means you could justify the cost, it would raise tens of millions every year that could go to fund such expenditure....as the people buying the bikes hve provided capital to do so.

Does that make sense? You cant spend £10m on something that 20 people a week will use. If you think you can then Im gonna guess your name is Gordon brown!

And before you respond please DONT hark on about that you have paid for it. You may very well but you haevnt really, have you?!?!

Good grief! I'll spell it out as you obviously have not picked up on this yet:

THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. ROAD. TAX.

It does not exist. It has not existed for SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS. It was abolished in 1937 by one Winston Churchill.

So why do you continue to say cyclists should 'pay a road tax' when 1, road tax is a myth, it does not exist, and 2. NO-ONE PAYS TAX TO USE ROADS!

One other point. Where, in any of my posts, have I said I want cycle lanes?

Moira
30-Oct-12, 23:29
I hope there are cycle lanes provided in Caithness, especially between Dounreay and Thurso. We are in a unique position in Caithness because the Lands End to John O'Groats event brings thousands to our county and yet we never seem to showcase its importance. By providing cycle lanes on the north route we would improve road safety and journey times during peak traffic times.

Also we need to get the next generation of youngster cycling safely, regularly and responsibly but too often they and their parents are put off by motorists driving like the clappers on relatively traffic free roads.

I hope so too. I gave up cycling around Caithness many years ago because of the safety issues.

The "North Highland Way" for cyclists & walkers alike could be a reality if the right people were prepared to take it forward. I was involved in a very tentative project a few years ago which never got off the ground. I know budgets are being squeezed even more now but different funding streams are also opening up for different projects.

I hate to mention the run-down of Dounreay & the Windfarms but the fact is that some funding for local projects may well come from both of these sources. I really hope the right people step forward to maximise the benefits from all of the available funding sources. I'll not be putting myself in the firing line this time around but would wish anyone willing to take on the project all the best.