PDA

View Full Version : Wind Turbines total waste of money

Osbacky
04-Feb-12, 02:41
Wind turbines can’t operate at 100 percent efficiency because the structure itself impedes the flow of the wind. The structure also exerts back pressure on the turbine blades as they act like an air foil like a wing on an airplane. Efficiency depends on the actual wind speed. The maximum efficiency of 44 percent is reached in winds of 18 mph and falls sharply at higher wind speeds. For a reasonable range of winds, the average efficiency is around 20 percent. Why? Simply put, the power capacity in the wind will greatly exceed that which can be obtained by the generator. Bottom line turbines are not cost efficient or affective and would be a waste of money. It would better investing the money in the new generation of safe nuclear power plants and are extremely efficient. One nuclear power plant can service about 500,000 homes, a lot more than a cluster of wind turbines dotted all over Scotland causing impact to the environment and wildlife just erecting the coarsely things.

Phill
04-Feb-12, 10:37
Welcome to the lions den!

:evil

norfolkboy14
04-Feb-12, 10:51
Are you disillusioned by rising electricity prices, over dependence on the "green" dream [especially uneconomical and inefficient wind farms] and the destruction of our countryside then please register your objection to the Government by googling "petition 22958" and following the link.

Please pass this message on to Councillors, members of your community and anyone else you know to persuade them to sign up too. If you are really concerned about wind turbines please write a letter promoting this petition to the Editors of your local newspapers and also mention it when blogging.

golach
04-Feb-12, 10:54
Another nutty Professor, thats all 'e Org needs [lol]

bekisman
04-Feb-12, 12:06
Counting down to 'can of worms'...

sids
04-Feb-12, 13:25
I'm shocked to hear that they waste valuable wind!

Don't you know how much nuclear energy is wasted by antineutrino emission?

secrets in symmetry
04-Feb-12, 14:07
Wind turbines can’t operate at 100 percent efficiency because the structure itself impedes the flow of the wind. The structure also exerts back pressure on the turbine blades as they act like an air foil like a wing on an airplane. Efficiency depends on the actual wind speed. The maximum efficiency of 44 percent is reached in winds of 18 mph and falls sharply at higher wind speeds. For a reasonable range of winds, the average efficiency is around 20 percent. Why? Simply put, the power capacity in the wind will greatly exceed that which can be obtained by the generator.The part of the OP that I quoted is copied from this forum post (http://www.pauatahanui.com/Forum/tabid/148/aff/25/aft/309/afv/topic/Default.aspx). (The unusual font gives it away.)

There is nothing new or enlightening in the quoted part. There is no rational argument in the rest of the post. End of discussion.

Another nutty ProfessorI doubt that. The OP hasn't displayed any scientific or technical knowledge, or any ability for rational argument.

Don't you know how much nuclear energy is wasted by antineutrino emission?Lol!

I haven't tried to work it out, but I'd imagine the answer is "not very much". I have more worries about the wasted wind lol!

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 14:57
Any energy generation (nuclear, coal) that uses the steam cycle typically have energy efficiencies of just 35%. That is an awful waste of energy. Whereas modern wind turbines actually closely approach the Betz limit of 59% at wind speeds up to the optimum but due to engineering/safety constraints they are designed to reach a maximum output at a lower wind speed to the one that they are meant to shutdown, ~55 mph. So mathematically, at higher wind speeds, they do lose significant 'efficiency' with respect to the 'energy in/energy out' calculation. But then we are not actually buying the wind so it does not matter anyway so the assumption that they are not economical is false.

sids
04-Feb-12, 15:11
Why on Earth would it matter how much energy is not extracted from passing wind (parp)? Some more will come along.
Aren't we more concerned with cost effectiveness and capability of supplying our needs? If windmills can't do that then 500% efficiency won't stop them being useless.

Conversely, if they are cheap and effective at supplying power, who cares about the "efficiency" that someone has calculated?

secrets in symmetry
04-Feb-12, 16:15
Whereas modern wind turbines actually closely approach the Betz limit of 59% at wind speeds up to the optimum but due to engineering/safety constraints they are designed to reach a maximum output at a lower wind speed to the one that they are meant to shutdown, ~55 mph.Not only that, it makes sense to design turbines to be most efficient at lower wind speeds - because we have lower winds speeds most of the time! Turbines that are also efficient at high wind speeds would be good if we had an extensive energy storage system, but we don't - yet....

Sids' comment about antineutrinos made me think about matter versus antimatter. Unless I'm missing something - which is quite likely lol - the reason for considering the electron to be matter (as opposed to antimatter) is not the obvious one. Interesting....

Phill
04-Feb-12, 17:25
Methinky OP is an SP, does that antimatter?

Corrie 3
04-Feb-12, 18:31
I agree Phill!!!

C3..........:cool::eek::roll:

weezer 316
04-Feb-12, 20:21
I read once Fossil fuels are at soemthing like 0.5% in terms of their efficency. Is this true?

I think some of these eejits who moan about windpower will complain anti-matter is to efficent when we get a power plant working on it.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Feb-12, 20:27

Just the slightest hint of a troll too.

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 20:48
I'm a bit dismayed that John Thurso was not considered as the new Secretary of State for Energy and climate Change. He has expressed his support for nuclear and what with his constituency so rich in matters of energy, nuclear, wind, tidal, oil and gas etc I thought his credentials would have been fitting for the role. Unfortunately he called for a moratorium on wind farm development a few years ago so that may have gone against him.

Bill Fernie
04-Feb-12, 21:59
Notice to Osbacky and norfolkboy14

It would be helpful if you are copying items to start a thread or joining in if you give the links where they come from and why you are reposting on here.

I have begun tracking some of your items but have better things to do so please assist.

Thanks

bekisman
05-Feb-12, 08:40
The worm might just be turning?

'More than 100 Conservatives are among MPs who have written to the prime minister calling on him to slash subsidies for onshore wind turbines. The MPs also want planning rules changed to make it easier for local people to object to their construction.

The Tories and politicians from other parties expressed concerns over the level of taxpayers' money going to the sector.

The government said it had commissioned a review of subsidy levels.

Hundreds of millions of pounds are spent on subsidising wind farms each year as the government strives to meet legally binding targets to reduce carbon emissions.

State help for wind farms is being cut under plans set out by ministers last year, however MPs have demanded an acceleration.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16893018