PDA

View Full Version : starter motor

kwbrown111
22-Dec-04, 16:53
does anyone know someone who can repair car starter motors

XR2
22-Dec-04, 17:18
Theres a bloke out at Achscrabster that does it but I am afraid I don't know his name or have his number.

buggyracer
22-Dec-04, 17:36
Gordon Morisson , Morisson auto eletcricals wick is about the best there is for this type of thing.

highlander2222
22-Dec-04, 18:17
Alan ross newton hill now does auto eletcricals as gordon morisson is closed

linzy222
22-Dec-04, 19:37
The man at Achscrabster is called John Berrisford and if u go to motorway tyres they will give u his number he charges roughly £30

George Brims
22-Dec-04, 19:40
My advice on this repair is "DON'T". It's usually better to just get a new one. The only time I would try a repair is if the solenoid is on the side and a kit is available for that.

Mr P Cannop
22-Dec-04, 20:25
John Berrisford drives the buses

kwbrown111
22-Dec-04, 23:19
many thanks everyone, i went out to see John Beresford and it ended up it there wasn't anything wrong with the starter it was the alternator. very reasonable price for repair

daviddd
29-Dec-04, 16:56
yes, John is OK, he did mine some time back, his workshop is something to behold too, hundreds of motors (if you like that kind of thing! :roll: ). He's easy to find, 3rd house on left about half a mile down the Achscrabster turn-off.

EDDIE
30-Dec-04, 01:06
You tend to find fixing starter motors is false econemy and will not last very long and your better to renew it than run the risk of repairing it and 6 months down the road the starter motor jams in causing more damage to the flywheel ring gear.The only time u see people repairing staror motors if its lorrys or buses were the starter motor is in the hundreds and then its cheaper to get it overhauled properly than to buy

Caledonia
30-Dec-04, 01:31
Aye but the advantage in going to an auto electrical guy for a starter motor repair is that he will tell you if that is what is faulty, so for an inexperienced mech it is probably a wise move.

Personally, you should blow £15 on a Haynes manual and have a go yourself eother way, and buy whatever you need, you will know it is new and you will get to know your car, you win in the long run either way.

;)