PDA

View Full Version : Prince William and the Falklands?

billmoseley
02-Feb-12, 19:09
I see Prince William has flow out to the Falklands and the Argies are kicking up a fuss they are saying we are provoking them. I don't see it like just a routine deployment. I think we all realise that most of the dispute over the Falklands is oil but the people who live there are British and we should defend them as we would anyone who lives on the home lands. i would be interested in your thoughts?

Rheghead
02-Feb-12, 19:28
I see Prince William has flow out to the Falklands and the Argies are kicking up a fuss they are saying we are provoking them. I don't see it like just a routine deployment. I think we all realise that most of the dispute over the Falklands is oil but the people who live there are British and we should defend them as we would anyone who lives on the home lands. i would be interested in your thoughts?

Can it be possible to express a progressive view on the future of the Falklands without this thread descending into a slanging match from ex-service personnel and/or patriotic persons?

Corrie 3
02-Feb-12, 19:33
I think sending the future King of England is a bit provocative at this early stage, but then again, we might as well send him because we haven't many ships and planes to send have we? If the Falklands are British, and the people who live there are British and want to remain British and carry on living there then there is no way the Argies can try and take it over. I would have thought they would have learnt from last time but obviously not!!

C3.............:roll:;)

billmoseley
02-Feb-12, 19:36
Can it be possible to express a progressive view on the future of the Falklands without this thread descending into a slanging match from ex-service personnel and/or patriotic persons?
i suspect not but lets see.

annemarie482
02-Feb-12, 21:15
erm i've just sent my oh to the falklands to his oilrig, he gets there sat!
maybe i'm provoking them too?! lol

eriba47
02-Feb-12, 21:20
If oil is discovered there, I wonder if the Falklands National Party (FNP) will be wanting an independance refurendum!

billmoseley
02-Feb-12, 21:30
well at least we know who to point the finger at now if war breaks out

annemarie482
02-Feb-12, 21:32
well at least we know who to point the finger at now if war breaks out

*hangs head in shame* lol

billmoseley
02-Feb-12, 21:34
*hangs head in shame* lol
off to the naughty step with you

tonkatojo
03-Feb-12, 10:22

By "progressive" do you mean hand them over, if so that can only inflame the thoughts of ex service and patriotic's.

david
03-Feb-12, 11:18
If oil is discovered there, I wonder if the Falklands National Party (FNP) will be wanting an independance refurendum!

Oil has been found there-look out for Rockhopper Share price!! And also Desire.

Kenn
03-Feb-12, 12:28
I may be wrong and no doubt will be promptly corrected but has the matter of title not been questioned many times and the right to sovereignity been established within international law?
At a time when Scotland has a hot debate about whether or not to sucede from the union, should we not be jealous of the right of The Falklanders to determine their own future too?
With regard to the prince being there that is a complete red herring as he is a serving member of the armed forces and what he may become should be irrelevant to the matter.

Nick Noble
03-Feb-12, 13:05
I cannot believe that the political ramifications of his deployment have not been discussed at length, and found to be beneficial to the cause of clearly demonstrating the commitment of the UK in maintaining British Sovereignty of the Falklands in line with the clearly and often declared wishes of the Falkland Islands.

Provocation is a 2 way process, when countries close their ports to the boats of a small Island Group located off their coasts it sends a message to those people. Naturally it makes them nervous, and quite rightly they seek the assistance of their Government is sending a clear message to the world of the status of those islands.

Thankfully this time around the UK Government have acted in a very positive way, stressing that the status of the Islands is not up for discussion until such time as the people of the Falklands indicate otherwise. Deciding to deploy a highly advanced £1billion Destroyer capable of targetting 300 incoming threats at once, and sending the Heir to the Throne to what would be the frontline if hostilities broke out is a very clear message.

Compare this to the pre 1982 situation when Britain was informally discussing the political situation of the Falklands and also planning on withdrawing HMS Endurance from service in 1982, those signals resulted in a short but bloody war in which over 900 people were killed.

I am hopeful that the obvious lessons learned from that episode will ensure that the current diplomatic signals will be acted upon by all sides. No more blood should be spilled over this issue in the 21st Century.

Rheghead
03-Feb-12, 13:22
By "progressive" do you mean hand them over, if so that can only inflame the thoughts of ex service and patriotic's.

No I don't mean 'progressive' to mean 'handing over'. It means much more than that. The islanders must have the right of self determination.

Phill
03-Feb-12, 14:05
I cannot believe that the political ramifications of his deployment have not been discussed at length, and found to be beneficial to the cause of clearly demonstrating the commitment of the UK in maintaining British Sovereignty of the Falklands in line with the clearly and often declared wishes of the Falkland Islands.

Provocation is a 2 way process, when countries close their ports to the boats of a small Island Group located off their coasts it sends a message to those people. Naturally it makes them nervous, and quite rightly they seek the assistance of their Government is sending a clear message to the world of the status of those islands.

Thankfully this time around the UK Government have acted in a very positive way, stressing that the status of the Islands is not up for discussion until such time as the people of the Falklands indicate otherwise. Deciding to deploy a highly advanced £1billion Destroyer capable of targetting 300 incoming threats at once, and sending the Heir to the Throne to what would be the frontline if hostilities broke out is a very clear message.

Compare this to the pre 1982 situation when Britain was informally discussing the political situation of the Falklands and also planning on withdrawing HMS Endurance from service in 1982, those signals resulted in a short but bloody war in which over 900 people were killed.

I am hopeful that the obvious lessons learned from that episode will ensure that the current diplomatic signals will be acted upon by all sides. No more blood should be spilled over this issue in the 21st Century.
In addition, I suspect this is a lot of political posturing and media spin for both Govt's. The Argentine wifey gets to be seen as strong and patriotic and it diverts attention from other issues on the political agenda there.
The UK sending a new boat which sounds all singing & all dancing again diverts attention from the fact we couldn't defend the islands with aircraft carriers. And the Falkland issue distracts attention from Davey Cameron being a numpty.
And HM Willy the chopper jocky being one half of the nations current sweethearts is again front page news here, so helping the 'British' feel good factor.

As far as an armed conflict, I doubt that very much. But, one smart well planned, or lucky, strike could see us in Checkmate.

tonkatojo
04-Feb-12, 13:06
No I don't mean 'progressive' to mean 'handing over'. It means much more than that. The islanders must have the right of self determination.

You have me confused (it doesn't take much) of course it was the ex service folk who gave the islanders the right to self determination, so why deny them a voice on here ?.

DeHaviLand
04-Feb-12, 13:44

You've SENT him? A real man wouldn't take those kind of orders from a woman!

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 13:53
You have me confused (it doesn't take much) of course it was the ex service folk who gave the islanders the right to self determination, so why deny them a voice on here ?.

Now you have me confused. Where did I say someone was trying to deny ex-service personnel a voice? They can have their voice on here. But I can see that someone who has a different opinion than theirs would decline to express it if those ex-service persons resort to personal attack as so often has happened in the past when this subject crops up. You can bet money on it. Those particular ex-service persons are not happy enough to express their own view but to slag anyone off that disagrees with them as well.

Nick Noble
04-Feb-12, 13:56
Now you have me confused. Where did I say someone was trying to deny ex-service personnel a voice? They can have their voice on here. But I can see that someone who has a different opinion than theirs would decline to express it if those ex-service persons resort to personal attack as so often has happened in the past when this subject crops up. You can bet money on it. The ex-service persons are not happy enough to express their own view but to slag anyone off that disagrees with them as well.

Well you certainly didn't put this ex-service person off expressing his opinion :)

annemarie482
04-Feb-12, 17:08
You've SENT him? A real man wouldn't take those kind of orders from a woman!

lol thats him there now! 6 flights later!

billmoseley
04-Feb-12, 19:34
lol thats him there now! 6 flights later!
i take he not 2 on 2 off lolololol

annemarie482
04-Feb-12, 20:09
ha ha ha no!

4 & 4 lol

Rheghead
04-Feb-12, 23:49
Would we be happy if the Falklander's collective opinion changed in 20 years time to one of wanting to be a part of a Argentine/South American economic zone?

tonkatojo
05-Feb-12, 11:43
Would we be happy if the Falklander's collective opinion changed in 20 years time to one of wanting to be a part of a Argentine/South American economic zone?

I presume the democratic process will be the same as what is happening in Scotland.

oldmarine
05-Feb-12, 18:24
Probably not. Having been there to assist the Brits as a supporting Electronics Engineer while working satellite communications system, I will speak for those troops who took back the Falklands at risk to their own lives. Ask those patriotic ex-service people who were there.