PDA

View Full Version : Chris Huhne, Speeding Tickets and a question

bekisman
02-Feb-12, 17:16
Did he/Didn't he? Seems Chris Huhne's former wife 'might' have taken the rap for his speeding in an offence committed in 2003.. we will find out at 10.00 tomorrow as to whether he/she will be done..

Now, Mrs Beks received a speeding penalty - the usual; driving along the same speed as everyone else, but she got a ticket; £60 and three penalty points. Her three years are up this August, and yet it will not be removed from her licence for another whole year.

Why?

Phill
02-Feb-12, 18:55
I think it actually works the other way round. The points go on for 4 years but only qualify for the 'totting' up for 3 years. (stress, I think)

Rheghead
02-Feb-12, 19:09
good grief, this is a case going back 9 years. If the police had good evidence then they should be sure who was driving back then. There is no public interest in prosecuting anyone for such a minor thing after all this time.

billmoseley
02-Feb-12, 19:12
If he did wrong then he should be prosecuted and so should his ex for covering for him. he should also resign his post

gerry4
02-Feb-12, 19:17
If he did wrong then he should be prosecuted and so should his ex for covering for him. he should also resign his post

I agree but isn't it odd that something only happened when he became a cabinet minister? Silence until then from all quarters.

Corrie 3
02-Feb-12, 19:26
I agree but isn't it odd that something only happened when he became a cabinet minister? Silence until then from all quarters.
"Hell hath no fury like a scorned Woman" as the saying goes.......A scorned Woman will always get revenge!!! His time is up, he is finished!!

C3.............:roll:;)

Phill
02-Feb-12, 20:03
There is no public interest in prosecuting anyone for such a minor thing after all this time.Quite right. BUT, there is a political one!

Anyway, I don't see the big issue. I've managed to get rid of all my points to the kids, the dog and even managed a Polish Irishman to take a few.

bekisman
02-Feb-12, 20:33
I think it actually works the other way round. The points go on for 4 years but only qualify for the 'totting' up for 3 years. (stress, I think)
You're right Phill - ta. 'Offence codes SP10 to SP50 must stay on a driving licence for four years from date of offence'.
(she was done under SP30)

Interesting link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_10022425
I note that: 'Causing death through careless driving when unfit through drink' you can get 3-11 penalty points.. Hmmm :~(

Phill
03-Feb-12, 12:10
Well,apparently he did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16866127

RecQuery
03-Feb-12, 12:33
I've said before that I found it odd the way driving offences are deemed to be a lesser non-existent crime with the exception of drunk driving/driving under the influence. Someone convicted of shop-lifting or burglary is potentially much less of a public danger than someone convicted of dangerous driving or speeding. Yet driving offences don't stop you getting jobs as much as other types.

EDIT: I'm not making any value judgements on either, just always found it interesting.

linnie612
03-Feb-12, 12:43
It would depend on the job I suppose - if you're applying to work in a shop or a place where you would be handling money, prospective employers would probably be more concerned about

an inclination towards lightfingered-ness.

RecQuery
03-Feb-12, 12:49
It would depend on the job I suppose - if you're applying to work in a shop or a place where you would be handling money, prospective employers would probably be more concerned about

an inclination towards lightfingered-ness.

That's true, I didn't mention that, I was just speaking in a general sense. There's also more stigma attached to the former.

Disclosure: I have no convictions, so it's not a personal thing. I'm just commenting on social perception.

Nick Noble
03-Feb-12, 12:49
If the issue was simply one of speeding then I feel fairly confident that interest in the matter would have died many years since.

Unfortunately perverting the course of justice is a very serious matter carrying a maximum sentence of life imprionment, as that is the charge Chris Huhne has, quite rightly, resigned his office of Secretary of State.

I wish him every success in establishing his innocence in the courts, and would hope that when (as he insists) that happens the Government will be as quick at finding him a new position in Government as he is a very able Secretary of State.

RecQuery
03-Feb-12, 12:52
If the issue was simply one of speeding then I feel fairly confident that interest in the matter would have died many years since.

Unfortunately perverting the course of justice is a very serious matter carrying a maximum sentence of life imprionment, as that is the charge Chris Huhne has, quite rightly, resigned his office of Secretary of State.

I wish him every success in establishing his innocence in the courts, and would hope that when (as he insists) that happens the Government will be as quick at finding him a new position in Government as he is a very able Secretary of State.

You're right that's the problem, similar if lesser example of what happened to Clinton. I feel something should happen to his wife also, she was happy to lie about it at the start but is being vindictive now that their personal situation has changed.

Phill
03-Feb-12, 13:03
They are both getting charged so I would think she'll get the same sentence if found guilty.

2little2late
03-Feb-12, 13:09
Unless she pleads guilty. Which I reckon she will, possibly getting a lesser sentence.

Rheghead
03-Feb-12, 13:19
I would imagine that if the police can't prove who was speeding that day beyond reasonable doubt then it must follow that they can't prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt who is perverting the course of justice so both will be acquitted.