PDA

View Full Version : wedding help

bingocrazy
01-Feb-12, 14:14
Hi i am looking into some enquires about having my wedding in a church does anyone know any information about this, i.e price, numbers, any other info i'll need?

also looking to hire a car for my wedding if anyone can help

Torvaig
01-Feb-12, 17:17
I presume you will get married in your local church/the one you attend, so just ask the minister about details of costs, booking of personnel etc. I'm sure it varies from parish to parish.

As for a wedding car, take a look in the business section here on the org where many businesses advertise themselves.

Good luck!

Corrie 3
01-Feb-12, 18:06
Hi i am looking into some enquires about having my wedding in a church does anyone know any information about this, i.e price, numbers, any other info i'll need?

also looking to hire a car for my wedding if anyone can help
Next time you pray to your God just ask him how much it will all cost. I am sure he will be able to give you some idea on the price!!

C3............:confused:confused

Gronnuck
01-Feb-12, 18:17
Your local Minister or Priest will be the best place to start. Maybe a good idea to catch them after the service on Sunday and arrange to see them during the week when they'll have time to listen to your plans.

bingocrazy
01-Feb-12, 18:21
thanks for the comments

cptdodger
02-Feb-12, 00:59
I would advise you (if you're not already) to start attending your local church now, especially if it's a Church Of Scotland you wish to get married in. When I got married a few years back I was a member of The Church Of England (Episcopalian) we had decided to get married in my husbands church, which was Church of Scotland because his father was an elder there, and his family were regular church goers, which mine were not, I was told by the minister I would have to join his church, or he would not marry us. As I did not want to upset my future in-laws by refusing, I went along with it, I was'nt happy about it then, and I'm still not. However, hopefully things have changed now, but I would'nt leave it too long, if I were you, to find out.

Torvaig
02-Feb-12, 08:42
I think that was a bit unfair especially as you were a member of a Church already. I thought that the ministry would respect other churches other their own; not a very Christian attitude was it? Let's hope "bingocrazy" doesn't meet the same intolerance.

I had better wish the o.p. "Good Luck" again!

BRIE
02-Feb-12, 12:04
I would advise you (if you're not already) to start attending your local church now, especially if it's a Church Of Scotland you wish to get married in. When I got married a few years back I was a member of The Church Of England (Episcopalian) we had decided to get married in my husbands church, which was Church of Scotland because his father was an elder there, and his family were regular church goers, which mine were not, I was told by the minister I would have to join his church, or he would not marry us. As I did not want to upset my future in-laws by refusing, I went along with it, I was'nt happy about it then, and I'm still not. However, hopefully things have changed now, but I would'nt leave it too long, if I were you, to find out.

Thankfully things have changed & most Minister are now quite accommodating. We are getting married in the Church of Scotland which isn't my Church & it also isn't in our parish but the minister was more than happy to marry us, he did ring the minister of our parish first to check he had no problems with this too. It used to be a necessity that you attended the church for several weeks before your wedding to but we were told we didn't need to do this either. Im sure I will get to meet the minister before the wedding though!

cptdodger
02-Feb-12, 14:29
Thankfully things have changed & most Minister are now quite accommodating. We are getting married in the Church of Scotland which isn't my Church & it also isn't in our parish but the minister was more than happy to marry us, he did ring the minister of our parish first to check he had no problems with this too. It used to be a necessity that you attended the church for several weeks before your wedding to but we were told we didn't need to do this either. Im sure I will get to meet the minister before the wedding though!

I'm pleased to hear that. I got married in 1982 when I was a young (by today's standards!!) 18 yr old and would'nt say boo to a goose! To me, not to put a fine point on it, I was blackmailed into getting married in that church. That was bad enough, then my brother in law decided to join the Church Of Scotland as a minister, and attended Robert Gordon's University studying theology for 4 or 5 yrs (can't quite remember now) While there he met the person who would become his wife. The wedding was organised for 1986, two days before the wedding, the people from the Home Office descended and stopped the wedding (my sister in law was Argentinian and we were technically still at war with them) they had to make sure this was not an arranged marriarge. To cut a long story short, they moved in together, because they already had the house and she had nowhere else to go. They eventually married in 1987, however, because they had lived together, before marrying, the church would not accept my brother in law as a minister, which for him was very sad. My sister in law was a minister in her own right and would go on to become the first female Professor of Theology at Edinburgh University. She sadly passed away in Feb. 2009 from cancer. I have little regard for The Church Of Scotland, and I just hope for the church's sake they have moved on.

_Ju_
02-Feb-12, 17:58
I find churches to be very hypocritical and intransigent with certain things ( a personal opinion only!!!), which has totally soured my view to organized religion. As an example, I would have prefered my child not to have been baptised when a baby, but allow him to develop his own beliefs ( which would probably have had a Christian slant because this is what I was brought up in and know best). But I succumbed to emtional blackmail by his grandad and a roma Catholic baptism was organized. His aunt and uncle were to be his godparents. Even though Uncle was not Catholic but Protestant, the Priest said it was still ok. Until he found out they had cohabited for a few years before marrying. Then he could no longer be a godparent- yet my sister could? And worse than that, who stepped in as Godfather? Grandad who was twice divorced at the time ( For thos of you unfamiliar with catholocism, divorce is a sacriledge and until fairly recently resulted in excommunication from the church!).
But this is (a little?) off topic. Good luck with your wedding. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Koi
02-Feb-12, 23:23
Why not get married in a hotel or hall? Or even a free church?
I personally do not understand why religion is important to 2 people tying the knot. Personally i'd go abroad and get married in the sun wearing a summer dress lol.
Weddings cost too much already why make it more expensive?

mama2
04-Feb-12, 18:11
I got married in a local Church of Scotland church 11 years ago of which I had never attended regularly since I had been in primary school! None of mine or my husbands family are regular church goers either. We also lived together and the minister at no point ever told us we had to attend church before the wedding or put any pressure on us to attend. He was very friendly and told me that the church was there for us should we need it. I think it generaly depends on the minister in the parish.

cptdodger
05-Feb-12, 01:30
In my case, I got married in a city, and in probably the oldest Church in that city (it dates back to the 15th century). The minister (since left) was well known in Church Of Scotland circles. In my brother in law's case it was down to the General Assembly that stopped him becoming a minister, because he and his partner (as I said, through no fault of their own) had lived together before they were married. It had nothing to do with his local minister. It seems the Church of Scotland ministers in this area, are a lot easier going than where I'm from. Having said that, I would'nt know, I have never stepped back inside a Church Of Scotland since the day I got married in 1982, my children were christened in my own church, although my husband's parents did not attend, but that was their choice. What happened to me was tantamount to blackmail, and by the time I had my children, I was older and no longer willing to put up with that behaviour from a minister.

pat
05-Feb-12, 10:20
Just back from a wonderful wedding in Crawfordsburn, nr Belfast - wedding was conducted by a registrar who came to the hotel. 90 guests present and everything about the wedding felt personal and appropriate to the young couple getting married.
Why not contact The Happy Humanist on the org who I think is eligible to marry people in a civil ceremony and it would be a very personal service, worth thinking about.