PDA

View Full Version : attract more tourists to Caithness

Mr P Cannop
02-Nov-06, 20:51
Its claimed moves to attract more tourists to Caithness could be blown off course by a 35 million pound wind farm development that's being planned at Dunbeath. Dunbeath Wind Energy limited wants to put up 22 turbines on moorland near the A9 in the south of the county.

willowbankbear
02-Nov-06, 23:04
Its claimed moves to attract more tourists to Caithness could be blown off course by a 35 million pound wind farm development that's being planned at Dunbeath. Dunbeath Wind Energy limited wants to put up 22 turbines on moorland near the A9 in the south of the county.

Erm why`s that then? Its not as if hey havnt got windfarms any where else in the world, dont you think its scaremongering Mr P?

dozy
03-Nov-06, 00:02
It was over 18 monthes ago i posted a warning on the ORG that Caithness was to be carpet bombed the the turbine companies .Caithness is known in Windturbine circles as the" WHORE " .Its and easy lay for companies to get them up in .The word is that Planning Councilliers can be easily rolled over and that they dont even know what the EIA is about .The Environmental Impact Accessment is a study that allows companies to ask the questions and give the answers...ITS A FARCE ....Caithness now has more turbines per head than ...

calish6
03-Nov-06, 00:26
At this moment in time, Blacklaw near bathgate has the biggest windfarm of 54 turbines in this country, with rather alot of sites nearby within a 100 mile radius. I would say approx. one dozen.
All of these sites have at least a dozen turbines. Some as many as 52 (Hadyard Hill).
Next year, construction starts on Eaglesham moor "Whitelees" (south of Glasgow) of 140 turbines.
That would take the total so far to between 250 and 300 turbines in the south of Scotland if not more.

We have have within 100 miles approx. 80 turbines with plans for another 80 or so.

Who is the turbine "whore" ???

Mr P Cannop
03-Nov-06, 09:14
got this from the mfr news page

willowbankbear
03-Nov-06, 09:41
At this moment in time, Blacklaw near bathgate has the biggest windfarm of 54 turbines in this country, with rather alot of sites nearby within a 100 mile radius. I would say approx. one dozen.
All of these sites have at least a dozen turbines. Some as many as 52 (Hadyard Hill).
Next year, construction starts on Eaglesham moor "Whitelees" (south of Glasgow) of 140 turbines.
That would take the total so far to between 250 and 300 turbines in the south of Scotland if not more.

We have have within 100 miles approx. 80 turbines with plans for another 80 or so.

At least its clean energy, if scientists discover a way to harness tidal power then these wind farms can be removed & all knowledge of them ever existing will be.
The same however can not be said about Dounreay can it??;)

dozy
03-Nov-06, 10:50
I would like to put the record straight .Electricity produced by Windturbines are in the publics eye CLEAN ENERGY,well it is and it's not .The companies use the energy from renewables to get green units called ROC's .They take these units which you would say are nice clean pollution free units and offset them against the station that are bellowing out CO2.There is "NO" ...Environmental benefit in wind turbines ,these units (ROC's) are traded around the world and have great value and raise alot of money .
So the next time you see a wind turbine that has destroyed the country side that it should be protecting ,remember its not there for your or the planets benefit. It's there BECAUSE the companies HAVE to fill there conditions to the Government . It's the poor child in some far off place that is breathing in the pollution from a dirty power station that is paying the real price of the TURBINES that you think ARE so great . We can all sleep easy THINKING we are doing our bit to save the Planet ....Turbines ain't the answer ...
I have sat in many meeting with the Turbine installers and the Energy Companies and know what they think for the Environment and the People (communities) that the Turbines will impact on ..and its SAD the contempt they have ...

calish6
03-Nov-06, 11:16
Turbines do not destroy the country side, they are built with the greatest respect to mother nature.
Land that has been used during construction is restored to the way it was.
Turbines are not built in peoples 'back gardens' and if they have an affect on
people nearby, everything is done to compensate these people even before
the turbines are constructed. (Farr, south of Inverness is an example and they cant even see the ruddy things)
Wind energy is a necessary evil to help bring down the carbon emissions that other power stations pump out. I agree that Turbines are not the answer and there is no way on earth could you build enough to power everybodys needs but if you want to stop the storms and flooding getting worse, we need to help in anyway that is possible to reduce carbon emissions and build as many of these things as possible until another better source for power is found.
As said by willowbankbear, these turbines can be removed very easily at a later date, and none of them are designed to be permanent fixtures anyway.

The other solution is, don't use any electricity. Have cold coffee, warm beer and start hunting for your food. :-)

willowbankbear
03-Nov-06, 13:06
[quote=dozy;155876
I have sat in many meeting with the Turbine installers and the Energy Companies and know what they think for the Environment and the People (communities) that the Turbines will impact on ..and its SAD the contempt they have ...[/quote]

Isn`t this the case with Dounreay & nuclear power? Utter contempt for locals, eternal pollution, denials of pollution, smacks of 6 & 2 3`s dont you think?:eek:

Cattach
03-Nov-06, 13:40
At least its clean energy, if scientists discover a way to harness tidal power then these wind farms can be removed & all knowledge of them ever existing will be.
The same however can not be said about Dounreay can it??;)

In 30 years tiime we will have to have Nuclear power if we have not all been killed off by global warming - there is no real alterantive to the energy crisis and while renewables are worth developing they will never come anywhere near to filling the gap. The other major countries of the world are all extending their nuclear provision - even Japan with its history of suffering caused by nuclear. Oil from the middle east, gas from Russia, electricity (produced by nuclear power) from France. What is happening to this country?

ywindy
04-Nov-06, 20:39

Windfarm Activity In Caithness today

Existing

21 at Causewaymire
2 at Forss
15 at Buolfruich (Latheron)

With planning permission but not built

3 at Bilbster
3 at Achairn
4 at Forss
3 more at Causewaymire

Applied for but not determined

15 at Baillie
About 20 at Camster
5 at Shebster

In the system but not applied for

48 at Scoolary (On top of the hill between Gills and Lyth)
About 20 more at "Burn of Whilk" ( Yarrows Archaeologicla Trail to you!)

Turned down by the Council but expected to be appealed

12 at Stroupster

Planning permission just lodged

2 at Lieurary
22 at Dunbeath, and these are monsters

Within a radius of 30 kilometres.

Sutherland

Hundreds more

Sorry Calish6, I dont think you have got the picture.

ywindy

ywindy
04-Nov-06, 20:43
Where does your electricity come from when the wind isnt blowing? And what happens to that source of power when the wind starts again?
ywindy

Rheghead
04-Nov-06, 20:54
Where does your electricity come from when the wind isnt blowing? And what happens to that source of power when the wind starts again?
ywindy

You tell us what you think and then I will tell you if you are right.:Razz

kas
04-Nov-06, 21:02
Isn`t this the case with Dounreay & nuclear power? Utter contempt for locals, eternal pollution, denials of pollution, smacks of 6 & 2 3`s dont you think?:eek:

Maybe, but..

How much have the people of Caithness benefited from windfarrms??
Apart from a few landowners getting money, Nothing.

How have the people of Caithness benefited from Dounreay??
Where does the list end, in fact what would Caithness be, if it were not for Dounreay.

willowbankbear
05-Nov-06, 06:17
Maybe, but..

How have the people of Caithness benefited from Dounreay??
Where does the list end, in fact what would Caithness be, if it were not for Dounreay.

Caiithness would be empty like Sutherland. Financially we have including me from Dounreay, that is a good point BUT what are the unseen health factors ? for future generations, no-one knows? Thats what Im worried about

Ricco
05-Nov-06, 10:01
I think that the jury is out when it comes to deciding whether wind farms affect tourism adversely. There are a number of wind farms in Cornwall and Yorkshire and my experience is that a lot of tourists actually like to go and see them. Perhaps Caithness should actually take this in a proactive manner and actually sell the idea and the nation's prime leading county in the fight for green energy. :cool:

calish6
05-Nov-06, 11:58
Hi there ywindy, I was only throwing some guesstimates into the picture.
I would however appreciate the remark about not getting the picture taken back, because if I could be bothered starting a debate, I could get all the information you could ever want as I have spent long enough constructing these ruddy goliaths.

My opinoin is that I would rather a turbine than a nuclear plant next to my home, but I do appreciate the fact that turbines don't bring employment and Dounreay has done a lot for Caithness the last 50 years, but I would rather the security of my health. If jobs were so bad here, I can still move with my health.

Kingetter
05-Nov-06, 12:18
The fact that Tourism doesn't believe visitors are around in Thurso during the winter (TIC closed over the winter) is to me more indicative of a reason than Windfarms. Tourists arrive (maybe not many admittedly) to find no Tourism advice so leave with an impression maybe that nobody cares?

calish6
05-Nov-06, 12:45
In the north of France alongside the motorway, they have picnic benches underneath the turbines. Everytime I go past a Windfarm, there is usually (80% of the time) people looking at the turbines and taking photo's.
I don't think the tourist industry would be affected in anyway, as these monsters are an attraction in themselves.

dozy
05-Nov-06, 15:25
What is Caithness's biggest Tourist Attraction ??????????

Seabird
05-Nov-06, 17:32

Scrabster as a gateway to Orkney and Caithness wildlife, ie seals and Puffins the tourist can't see enough of them.
It's Pitifull for a county with so much to offer.

Rheghead
05-Nov-06, 18:17
There is "NO" ...Environmental benefit in wind turbines..

Is there an alternative that fairs better?

Anyway, let us put the story right, the biggest reason that caithnessians are against windfarms is that they don't want the 'over populated' south to exploit the people of the north for no obvious benefit like out of some psuedo comparison to the clearances, as opposed to a desire to preserve the pristine nature of the countryside.

ywindy
05-Nov-06, 19:36
You tell us what you think and then I will tell you if you are right.:Razz

It was my question Rheghead. I am happy to learn from one so knowledgeable, but what is the answer?
ywindy

Kingetter
05-Nov-06, 19:57

Why not do a poll on this - might prove interesting?

ywindy
05-Nov-06, 19:58
Hi there ywindy, I was only throwing some guesstimates into the picture.
I would however appreciate the remark about not getting the picture taken back, because if I could be bothered starting a debate, I could get all the information you could ever want as I have spent long enough constructing these ruddy goliaths.

My opinoin is that I would rather a turbine than a nuclear plant next to my home, but I do appreciate the fact that turbines don't bring employment and Dounreay has done a lot for Caithness the last 50 years, but I would rather the security of my health. If jobs were so bad here, I can still move with my health.

Hi calish6
Thanks. I was using facts, not guesstimates.
ywindy

Rheghead
05-Nov-06, 19:59
It was my question Rheghead. I am happy to learn from one so knowledgeable, but what is the answer?
ywindy

I think you'll find it comes from the same sources when any other generator has an outage.

ywindy
05-Nov-06, 20:13
I think you'll find it comes from the same sources when any other generator has an outage.
Thanks Rheghead, but what are the sources? By the way, how frequently do generators have outages?
ywindy

Rheghead
05-Nov-06, 20:38
Thanks Rheghead, but what are the sources? By the way, how frequently do generators have outages?
ywindy

As you know already, it varies from generator to generator.

maverick
05-Nov-06, 20:40

cheap housing prices....

oldmarine
06-Nov-06, 04:43
It was over 18 monthes ago i posted a warning on the ORG that Caithness was to be carpet bombed the the turbine companies .Caithness is known in Windturbine circles as the" WHORE " .Its and easy lay for companies to get them up in .The word is that Planning Councilliers can be easily rolled over and that they dont even know what the EIA is about .The Environmental Impact Accessment is a study that allows companies to ask the questions and give the answers...ITS A FARCE ....Caithness now has more turbines per head than ...

Has that scared off the tourists?