PDA

View Full Version : Asking the impossible.

cuddlepop
31-Jan-12, 18:17
Well he's gone and done it now that "hairy lump" has torn ligaments in his left thigh and its now strict rest.

How do you restrict a big beardie from jumping,running,bouncing,diving,swimming,scrounchi ng...he's on a diet,for two weeks.

He's on tablets that will help with the pain but somehow even although he cant really put weight on his back left its not registering and he wants "fun".

Apparently its an old injury that hasnt healed properly and he's torn it again.

Scorries only 4 in March but may be on arthritic pain killers for life.

And how do you get the weight down if its only 5minute short lead walks.?
Half measures at meal times and he,s eyeing up the cats food next door lol.

carasmam
31-Jan-12, 18:29
If it is an NSAID such as rimadyl, metacam or other such brand name, make sure blood tests are done. Some dogs can have a very quick an severe reaction to that type of medicine. In particular watch for blood in his poo and get a vets advice asap. The liver sometimes cannot cope with it and the consequences are devastating :(

Getting an active dog to rest is very difficult unless he is used to a crate.

cuddlepop
31-Jan-12, 18:58
Its Carprieve 50mg two tablets a day,which we give morning and night.

Scorrie was never one to sit still ,even in his sleep his legs are running.:roll:

Budgies are celebrating though as they can now eat from the bird table uninterupted.

we were joking about sedating him for a fortnight,now we,re serious.;)
Thanks for the heads up about blood tests.:D

Liz
31-Jan-12, 19:44
Aw poor Scorrie and poor you! :(

I doubt whether you will be able to stop such an active dog from moving so just get him to have as much rest as possible. Swimming would be great for him! If you could confine him to a crate for periods of the day that would help a lot. Benjy has one and just loves it!
Benjy badly damaged a leg when he was a year old and wasn't allowed any exercise for quite a long time. It was a nightmare tryng to stop him jumping up on the bed etc but a vet told me that him jumping down would cause more damage as, obviously, there would be more weight on his legs landing on the floor. So we just used to make sure we lifted him down at all times.

Weight gain will be an issue and you'll have to feed less to compensate for less exercise. Sorry Scorrie! Try filling him up on veg such as broccoli and carrots. Also, spread his meals throughout the day and put the food in a Kong so it will take longer to eat and pass the time as well. You could get a couple and hide them somewhere in the house so he had to look for them. Just keep them at floor level so he doesn't jump up!

I agree with Carasmam re the painkiller. Benjy was on Metacalm which he did need for a while as he had a pin fitted and was in a lot of pain the poor wee soul. After a while on this he has the most terrible diarrohea with blood in it!

I was told that he might have a slight limp after surgery and, initially, he was quite stiff when getting up after rest and after exercise. However, I got him a great natural remedy called Mobilise (www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com (http://www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com)) along with a herbal remedy from www.csjK9.com (http://www.csjK9.com) and this has made such a difference! You would never know he had anything wrong with him at all now and he'll be 10 this year.

You could try the homeopathic remedy Arnica as this helps heal injuries.

Good luck!

cuddlepop
31-Jan-12, 20:14
Aw poor Scorrie and poor you! :(

I doubt whether you will be able to stop such an active dog from moving so just get him to have as much rest as possible. Swimming would be great for him! If you could confine him to a crate for periods of the day that would help a lot. Benjy has one and just loves it!
Benjy badly damaged a leg when he was a year old and wasn't allowed any exercise for quite a long time. It was a nightmare tryng to stop him jumping up on the bed etc but a vet told me that him jumping down would cause more damage as, obviously, there would be more weight on his legs landing on the floor. So we just used to make sure we lifted him down at all times.

Weight gain will be an issue and you'll have to feed less to compensate for less exercise. Sorry Scorrie! Try filling him up on veg such as broccoli and carrots. Also, spread his meals throughout the day and put the food in a Kong so it will take longer to eat and pass the time as well. You could get a couple and hide them somewhere in the house so he had to look for them. Just keep them at floor level so he doesn't jump up!

I agree with Carasmam re the painkiller. Benjy was on Metacalm which he did need for a while as he had a pin fitted and was in a lot of pain the poor wee soul. After a while on this he has the most terrible diarrohea with blood in it!

I was told that he might have a slight limp after surgery and, initially, he was quite stiff when getting up after rest and after exercise. However, I got him a great natural remedy called Mobilise (www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com (http://www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com)) along with a herbal remedy from www.csjK9.com (http://www.csjK9.com) and this has made such a difference! You would never know he had anything wrong with him at all now and he'll be 10 this year.

You could try the homeopathic remedy Arnica as this helps heal injuries.

Good luck!

Oh poor benjy that must have been hard for you both.

I think the vets waiting to see if strict rest for almost a month heals the muscle/tendon and if it doesnt will need to look at option b,which is top secret lol.

Wish someone would tell the birds its a no fly zoon round our place as Scorrie just loves to chase.Weathers beautiful so he wants out all the time which is ok if it was warm but its freezing.

dads working away so I'll do the tough love,he just gives into those pleading eyes.

Liz
31-Jan-12, 23:45
It was really tough Cuddlepop but I have to say Benjy was wonderful during it all and such a brave boy!

Actually I think I got it the wrong way round re the Vet's advice. It was jumping up which caused the problems as it was his back leg which was injured and so he was putting more pressure on it by standing up.

It was impossible to make him rest completely but he still healed really well so sure it will be the same for Scorrie. Even if it does mean a 'top secret' op. lol

It will be okay to take him out as long as it's on the lead. We had to take Benjy out on the lead every time he needed out to the toilet.

We took Benjy to a local person for Reiki and it made a real difference! Even if you don't have a Reiki practitioner locally it can be sent from a distance.

Also, there are so many natural products to choose from nowadays which is great as we no longer have to rely soley on pharmaceuticals. Don't get me wrong they have their place and can do absolute wonders!

Another product I use on Benjy is a wrap from Back On Track. His leg is worse during the colder weather so we put this on it, whenever he is resting, all through the winter and it has worked wonders!

He used to struggle to get up sometimes from lying down but now he just jumps up like a young pup and is the same on walks.

You'll have to put blinkers on so he can't see the birdies!lol

Good luck and I really hope that he makes a complete recovery. xxx

Dadie
01-Feb-12, 00:08
Crate him!
cant do anything then and when released for comfort breaks leash him!
Kongs filled with low fat cheese or 0 % mayo might help with the boredom and to stop the weight going on try a older dog/low fat food..so he gets the same amount in his tum but less cals!
Plan B is scary!
Very scary ...and expensive ...Benson did his knee ligaments in and they were going to try to swap the ligaments round ....he didnt survive the pre med, but he was 14yo the other op was more scary as it involved cutting and turning a bone round and pinning it so the ligaments worked differently and supported the knee as if before..and it was over £2500 at the time!

cuddlepop
01-Feb-12, 10:01
Crate him!
cant do anything then and when released for comfort breaks leash him!
Kongs filled with low fat cheese or 0 % mayo might help with the boredom and to stop the weight going on try a older dog/low fat food..so he gets the same amount in his tum but less cals!
Plan B is scary!
Very scary ...and expensive ...Benson did his knee ligaments in and they were going to try to swap the ligaments round ....he didnt survive the pre med, but he was 14yo the other op was more scary as it involved cutting and turning a bone round and pinning it so the ligaments worked differently and supported the knee as if before..and it was over £2500 at the time!

Yikes,yikes and trible yikes.
Oh was joking he'd sell the car if it was needed doesnt look like he was joking.

Well "muppet" is outside as if nothing was wrong with him.Thats the think though in the morning before he's gone anywhere its "normal",if a beardie is ever normal.lol

Another gorgeous day here and its a 5minute walk on the lead .

He'l think he,s been punished.

Well as mammy use to say,"you got to be cruel to be kind."

I'll look into alternative remedies too Liz,thanks.

therealducati
01-Feb-12, 13:16
OMG, I can’t imagine Baz (otherwise known as KWK9’s Mr February) keeping still for 5 seconds, never mind 2 weeks. The only time he stops moving is when he is lying on my lap (he seems to think he is the same size as the cats!) and even then he chases things (probably seagulls) in his sleep.
Talking of which, the bird obsession must be a Beardie trait as Baz will chase seagulls until he is exhausted.
Good luck with Scorrie and I hope the op isn’t needed.