PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Offshore :o(

victoria-pattie
31-Jan-12, 18:01
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any advice on how I can help my husband get work offshore?
We've heard that people can wait months/years to get off-shore - which typically we don't have as we have been faced with reality today as my husband will be made redundant at the end of February :o(
We paid the £1200 for him to complete the BOSIET and MIST training last week - money we struggled to find, given that he will be out of a job at the end of a month, however felt it would help put him in a better position to get off-shore.
We've emailed literally 100s of recruitment agencies and applied for a few jobs, however everyone seems to want off-shore experience - something he's not going to get until an opportunity comes along - it's so frustrating!
Sadly it seems as if the phrase, 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' could really be true ;o(
If anyone has any other tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
My husband is a bricklayer by trade, although currently works in the manufacturing industry. He is willing to do ANY job off-shore - it's just getting off-shore that seems to be the problem!
Thanks everyone xxxxx

david
31-Jan-12, 19:08
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any advice on how I can help my husband get work offshore?
We've heard that people can wait months/years to get off-shore - which typically we don't have as we have been faced with reality today as my husband will be made redundant at the end of February :o(
We paid the £1200 for him to complete the BOSIET and MIST training last week - money we struggled to find, given that he will be out of a job at the end of a month, however felt it would help put him in a better position to get off-shore.
We've emailed literally 100s of recruitment agencies and applied for a few jobs, however everyone seems to want off-shore experience - something he's not going to get until an opportunity comes along - it's so frustrating!
Sadly it seems as if the phrase, 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' could really be true ;o(
If anyone has any other tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
My husband is a bricklayer by trade, although currently works in the manufacturing industry. He is willing to do ANY job off-shore - it's just getting off-shore that seems to be the problem!
Thanks everyone xxxxx

"its not what you know , it's who you know" Yep your in Caithness now...

mi16
31-Jan-12, 19:10
Sometimes a wee white lie that he has been offsore before will help.
Say he did a couple of trips 10 years ago for wood group or something.

What manufacturing industry is he in?
has he any process or chemicals experience?

annemarie482
31-Jan-12, 20:39
we also found that being a "fisherman" on your cv at some point in your past also helped as it let them know you were used to working away from home for long periods.
hobbies that are mechanically minded also help.
good luck, all i can say is to phone phone phone chasing up your cv's and applications. do so to the point every one in that office knows your name.

worked for my other half 9 years ago, who went offshore after being a machine operator (digger driver)

and once your out there you slogg your guts out to prove you should stay there.

lisagrace
31-Jan-12, 22:33
rather than going through recruitment agencies which are probably over subscribed why don't you try to find out companies that take on work off shore and contact them directly, I think there is one based in Ross-shire

lisagrace
31-Jan-12, 22:37
search rigblast, they have 4 jobs advertised

lisagrace
31-Jan-12, 22:40
sorry i'm getting out of hand now, salamis is another one that has several vacancies

mi16
31-Jan-12, 23:12
Try the following firms:
Rigblast, BIS Salamis, BJ Services, Q Serve, Wood Group PSN, Petrofac, Orion Engineering.

mi16
31-Jan-12, 23:14
there are also other courses he could take to gain an advantage i.e the greenhands course
He could also do his level 1 rope access training that may be a help too.

All these courses dont come cheap unfortunately.

annemarie482
31-Jan-12, 23:20
forgot to say, otherhalf got offshore with atlantic resources. he got a trip offshore on 3 trips trial and was then employed :)

victoria-pattie
01-Feb-12, 10:32
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your prompt replies! All of which is VERY helpful - it's much appreciated!
My husband is a bricklayer by trade, although currently works as a process operator on an Aluminium Smelter, he's also a trained fireproofer which had him working away from home at weeks at a time (UK based though) and I've put that on to his CV.
I think if we just keep applying and applying, we will eventually get lucky! Maybe the saying is 'right place, right time :o)'.

Think we are going to look at more courses for him to do too - although with redundancy looming at the end of the month we could be tightening purse strings - be all worth it if he gets offshore though :o)
Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all informed if he manages to get offshore xxxx

mi16
01-Feb-12, 11:32
Do case still pay a portion of course costs for unemployed people?
May be worth a follow up to find out!!

Phill
01-Feb-12, 12:20
General tip for CV's - make them fit the job your pitching it for. Tweak it so your showing the skill set the job requires. A little 'exaggeration' in some areas shouldn't do much harm either ;) (out & out BS won't get you very far though)
Careful use of the trade lingo may help (just make sure your OH does understand it though so he doesn't look a twerp at any interviews!).

camor
01-Feb-12, 12:52
If he is looking for a proccess operators position, mention he has worked in Macdonalds, thet always works[lol]

mi16
02-Feb-12, 10:12
If he is looking for a proccess operators position, mention he has worked in Macdonalds, thet always works[lol]

what a helpful and informative post!

locini
03-Feb-12, 08:08
Hi,

Sounds like you Husband would maybe be best suited as a Production Technician?

Only thing I can suggest is completing the petrolium open learning course. I had to do them as part of my OPITO Apprentaship for an Instrument tech. They give you an in depth knowlege of most parts of the process train out here, and there is properly adjudicated exams at the end.

I do know tho that anyone wishing to switch trade from say Mechanical to Process operator out here has to go through their petrolium open learning, and the course is very highly thought off by the Companies

Im not sure how much it is, but had a quick scan on the net:
http://www.petroleumopenlearning.com/content/view/73/61/

3rd one down, he would be interested in...

If you need any help just give me a PM..

victoria-pattie
06-Feb-12, 11:45
Hi,
Thanks again everyone.
Bad news is that we still have had no luck - I can't tell you how many companies around the world have been emailed anf the amount of companies my husband has rang. The companies that have been friendly enough to give advice (RBG/Stork especially) have basically said that he needs someone in the industry/already out there to hand his CV in for him as no one these days takes on 'Joe Bloggs' with no off shore experience unless his best friend works for a company already :-(
Typical eh!
That course you've mentioned abouve looks pricey - but I'll speak to my husband as he might think it's a good idea to do it too. I think morale down at the mo though as Kris (my husband) is getting more and more demoralised by all the 'No's' he's receiving :o( - and what def doesn't help is that it's been confirmed that he will be made redundant at the end of Feb - so we are going to have to get looking for any job for him soon, nevermind offshore.
Thanks for all your help though everyone! Can't wait until I message a post with good news :o)
xxx