PDA

View Full Version : aggressive driving !!!

danc1ngwitch
02-Nov-06, 19:47
are you an aggressive driver??? Do you express your emotions when somebody
does something silly, or drives to slow infront of you.
I was infront of a car the other day who was tail gating me,
I slowed down instead of doing what he wanted and that was to
make me go faster..lol... Yep most men mumble under their breaths at woman drivers.
But who is the idiot at the end of it when they fail to control the temper.?

footie chick
02-Nov-06, 19:51
Must admit I lost it today a bus driver, who along with taxi drivers think that they own the roads, kept swinging the bus out to the middle of the road and wouldn't let me overtake. I seriously thought about reporting him.:mad:

burstbucker
02-Nov-06, 20:04
I find that most drivers who drive over the 30 speed limit in Wick are by far mostly women drivers.

emszxr
02-Nov-06, 20:31
i do get annoyed with the standard of driving on the roads, some of it is stupid and some is dangerous.
people who cant go round a roundabout and people who dont indicate really annoy me.
and i have to say some women drivers are pretty bad, but so are men. there was an old lady the other day in inverness parking her huge volvo when she could see a lorry needed that space to swing out of a junction to get turned, at the back of woolies. but she was obviously determined she was having that space so the lorry had to do a lot of shunting back and fore to get out.
and the car drivers that only look about 3 feet in front of them and dont look out for bikers.
i could go on forever what annoys me on the roads but i be her for a long time.

percy toboggan
02-Nov-06, 21:01
I drive for a living and have done so for thirtry years or more. I seldom get animated, beyond a curse. Let it all wash over you and just look down upon the inferior , the over cautious, and the recklessly over confident. Maintain your stopping distances, concentrate 90 per cent of your mind to the task and let the rest of 'em go hang.
The car is a cocoon, it's carpetted, with stereo sound and warm air but never forget it's a lethal weapon.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. It's delights will last a little more than a century unless the scientists get their act together so make the most of it.

This is the oil age - it has its price.

JAWS
02-Nov-06, 21:01
Women Driver? Those are two words that are impossible to put together an any sensible way! :lol:

Calm down ladies, put your handbags down, I was only joking.

The Women Drivers thing stems from the days when the man was automatically the driver just as it was the man who was the one who went out to work.

The "Little Lady" got the car on the odd day in the year when "The Man" did not have the car and was not around to take his rightful place in the drivers seat.
That meant that most women were never able to drive often enough to gain a lot of experience.

As far as I am concerned those days disappeared thirty or more years ago. I think most women who drive nowadays do so as often as men and as a result get the same amount of experience and skills.

There you are folks, I've been nice for once. Now I'm going to lie down to recover! :Razz

Tugmistress
02-Nov-06, 21:52
Jaws,
are you feeling well? do you have a temperature? :lol:[lol]

JAWS
03-Nov-06, 00:26
Jaws,
are you feeling well? do you have a temperature? :lol:[lol]Decency is a recurring problem which hits me about twice a year. Fortunately it usually passes off very quickly.
It has, in the past, been known to have unfortunate effects on others, some of whom have been known to collapse from shock.

j4bberw0ck
03-Nov-06, 09:27
I was infront of a car the other day who was tail gating me,
I slowed down instead of doing what he wanted and that was to
make me go faster..lol...

And who's the idiot who, when driving a ton and a half of steel, deliberately tries to wind up the "aggressive" driver behind her? The two of you were as bad as one another; the possibility that the driver behind you was muttering about women drivers doesn't make him or her aggressive, any more than the passive aggression you demonstrated makes you an angel.

If you're being tailgated, pull over and let the idiot past. Don't descend to a similar level of idiocy which can result in people being killed or injured. I hope you didn't have your kids in the car.....

paris
03-Nov-06, 09:32
Must admit ive ....lost it .... sometimes while driving. Im a motorcyclist aswell and car drives dont look enough, many of our friends have come of after being hit by car drivers, even hubby.! jan x

dozerboy
03-Nov-06, 10:13
I find in my daily commute to Aberdeen, that while bad driving, undertaking, weaving all over the road etc are annoying and dangerous, the worst thing so far has been 2 vehicles within 10 days with no back lights on at all while driving along at 6 am in the pitch dark, on a dual carriageway!! One was an artic, who only had the near side headlight working (not another light on the whole rig), and this morning a land rover with not a tail light showing. How dangerous is that?? The men in blue should also crack down on this sort of bad maintenance..

squidge
03-Nov-06, 10:52
I have recently driven to france and back. Well i took a ferry part of the way. The bad driving i saw appalled me. The cutting in - a white van nearly took my front end off swapping around lanes in slow moving traffic on the M6 - no indicator he just pulled out in front of me into a space no bigger than a mini! then he did exactly the same thing to a volvo pulling a caravan in the middle lane as he pulled back cos that lane was moving quicker. The speed that some drivers drive at in rain and failing light - the M74 wasnt that busy but it was raining so hard i had to slow down and pull over into the slow lane cos it wasnt clearing my windscreen. A guy in a vectra came past like a bat out of hell - spray everywhere and then he nearly lost it. Crikey i held my breath!!!!

Im not angel - my driving can be good but it can also be bad - ask the guy i didnt see on the roundabout last night :roll:.

JAWS
03-Nov-06, 11:31
Squidge, you are describing two entirely different things.

I've never come across a driver yet who has never had a lapse of concentration at some time or has never made an error of judgement, other than those who would have you believe that they are perfect at everything and we all know what they are.

There is a huge difference between that and those drivers who know exactly what they are doing and do so without any regard for other drivers or anybody else for that matter.

badger
03-Nov-06, 13:07
I do an awful lot of underbreath muttering as don't think I have ever been out without being overtaken by someone breaking the speed limit. Why do so many drivers, male and female, think driving within limits is only for wimps? I did actually hoot someone overtaking me through Bower the other day, which has a 40 mph limit, but I know I shouldn't have. Just made me so cross.

Also wonder how much unnecessary flood damage was caused by selfish driving through water. I know houses that were flooded by the continual wash from the road which wouldn't have happened if drivers had slowed right down and there was an Orkney man on tv who said his shop was ruined by the same thing.

Most bad driving just boils down to selfishness.

j4bberw0ck
03-Nov-06, 13:38
there was an Orkney man on tv who said his shop was ruined by the same thing

He wasn't alone; a number of houses had sandbags enough to stop the worst of the floodwater, but idiots running vans, trucks and 4x4's through created waves which went right over the sandbags, or washed them away. At least one driver has been charged with careless driving, I'm happy to say.

Dusty
03-Nov-06, 14:07
And who's the idiot who, when driving a ton and a half of steel, deliberately tries to wind up the "aggressive" driver behind her? The two of you were as bad as one another; the possibility that the driver behind you was muttering about women drivers doesn't make him or her aggressive, any more than the passive aggression you demonstrated makes you an angel.

If you're being tailgated, pull over and let the idiot past. Don't descend to a similar level of idiocy which can result in people being killed or injured. I hope you didn't have your kids in the car.....

The IAM and police defensive driving courses advise that in such a situation you slow down to attempt to restore something like the corect braking distance for the driver tailgating i.e. going slower equals more thinking/reaction time so it was the safe thing to do (although maybe not done for that reason).

Returning to the main topic I feel that the myth perpetrated by insurance companies that women are better drivers has resulted in a spate of overconfident "Girl Racers". Women make less insurance claims because in the main they cover less miles annually than the average male driver and as the majority of their driving is done in the urban environment, any accidents they are involved in tend to be at lower speeds and therefore cause less damage, ergo they are a better risk to insure. IMO this perception will change as the likes of Diamond and Shiela's Wheels get hit with claims for more write offs.
Just to save the bother of anyone writing in about their aunt who covers 36000000 miler per year and their grandad who does 200 metres a month, I know that there are exceptions.

j4bberw0ck
03-Nov-06, 14:26
The IAM and police defensive driving courses advise that in such a situation you slow down to attempt to restore something like the corect braking distance for the driver tailgating i.e. going slower equals more thinking/reaction time so it was the safe thing to do (although maybe not done for that reason).

IAM don't quite say that - they say if you can't move over or allow an overtake, create additional braking distance for yourself so if you have to brake, you can do it more gently and give the tailgater more time to react and so avoid being rear-ended. But I don't want to appear nitpicking :lol: .

badger
03-Nov-06, 16:17
Just got my copy of today's Groat and the Letters page has a picture of a white van driving through Halkirk and soaking everyone standing nearby. The writer has quoted the van's reg.no. which in any case is clear in the photo. It would be nice to think that seeing themselves in print might shame the driver and his passenger but since apparently they though it very funny it seems unlikely. Any chance the police might take action?

squidge
03-Nov-06, 16:20
Still it could be worse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/6113132.stm

poor woman

j4bberw0ck
03-Nov-06, 16:46
Poor woman, indeed; but should she pass a driving test again before being allowed to drive?

katarina
03-Nov-06, 16:47
I find that most drivers who drive over the 30 speed limit in Wick are by far mostly women drivers.

Have you been following me then?

danc1ngwitch
03-Nov-06, 18:46
j4bberw0ck ...I am proud oh u !!! in less than a few posts u have done ur quote thing a few times... good man/woman ...lol ops!!! <<<Turns eyes to the right, lowers head and Grins... respond to this lmao...[lol]

Rheghead
03-Nov-06, 20:58
Must admit I lost it today a bus driver, who along with taxi drivers think that they own the roads, kept swinging the bus out to the middle of the road and wouldn't let me overtake. I seriously thought about reporting him.:mad:

My biggest gripe is with people who think that they have an absolute right or duty to overtake. What is wrong with just taking your time behind a large vehicle? It sound like someone else thinks she owns the road!:lol:

j4bberw0ck
03-Nov-06, 21:53
<<<<<<<raises a glass heavenwards and describes a circle, widdershins, in the hope that whichever planet dancingw1tch is on is included in the toast>>>>>>>> :lol::lol:

danc1ngwitch
04-Nov-06, 17:34
<<<<<<<raises a glass heavenwards and describes a circle, widdershins, in the hope that whichever planet dancingw1tch is on is included in the toast>>>>>>>> :lol::lol:

u have 13 all gathered from different countries...wow... i'd still raise a glass wea u but i know wot would be in it .lol x

dozerboy
21-Nov-06, 14:01
My biggest gripe is with people who think that they have an absolute right or duty to overtake.

I agree with this one - I get really annoyed when in the fast lane, overtaking, you get some muppet coming up behind you and flashing their headlights for you to move back in. This often happens when in the middle of overtaking something or just as soon as you are clear of the vehicle you have overtaken. Do they not think that to be safe, I want to give at least a two second gap between tha car I have just overtaken, and me when I pull back in?

They seem to think they have a God given right to a journey at whatever speed they fancy, and to hang with anybody else!! A very unsafe practice and it does wind people up.

Better to arrive late than not at all - more people need to remember that.

garycs
21-Nov-06, 14:16
You have a right to overtake safely, but you do not have the right to drive in manner that causes undue inconvenience to other road users. Therefore a driver who is driving slowly and willfully preventing others overtaking could be prosecuted under the road traffic act 1991 where there is a clause stating.

"If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence."

In my experience those who waft along in national speed limit areas at 40mph, do exactly the same speed through 20 and 30 mph limits, which is exactly where most road deaths occur.

JAWS
21-Nov-06, 14:23
What happened to the good old technique. If they are in your way, put them in a ditch! :lol:

mi16
21-Nov-06, 15:48
Agreed that people both blocking others from overtaking and tailgating/flashing lights to get a driver to move out of the way is dangerous.
But what really gets my goat is people who drive along on the middle or outside lanes of the dual carriageway/motorway when they are not overtaking anything.
Some of these people will drive along quite happlily for miles on end with a queue forming behind them.
You should always be in the left hand lane unless overtaking or getting into a slip road.

Rheghead
22-Nov-06, 01:03
If the world only allowed drivers who were pregnant, do you think there would be no/fewer accidents? Oh dear, my hormones must be up...:roll:

danc1ngwitch
22-Nov-06, 14:24
i went to over take a truck typed thing and it was goin about 40 miles an hour... as soon as i got along side it i noticed the speed was way high the driver was laughing i shoulda put it in the damed ditch by flashing at the old git[lol] and no my kids were not in the car at the time or i would have been pissed..ops ..

johno
02-Dec-06, 23:30
hi, if some one is driving behind me tooting horns & flashing their lights and they are not the ambulance or the police i then assume that they have an emergency on their hands i will allow them to pass at the next safest opertunity, however if they are just showing aggression ,well it doe snt bother me in the least let them toot & let them flash their lights sooner or later a passing police car will pick up on them. any way its not going to give me a heart attack, no way. road rage has no place behind the wheel.

:cool: :roll:

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 00:35
I agree with this one - I get really annoyed when in the fast lane, overtaking, you get some muppet coming up behind you and flashing their headlights for you to move back in. This often happens when in the middle of overtaking something or just as soon as you are clear of the vehicle you have overtaken. Do they not think that to be safe, I want to give at least a two second gap between tha car I have just overtaken, and me when I pull back in?

They seem to think they have a God given right to a journey at whatever speed they fancy, and to hang with anybody else!! A very unsafe practice and it does wind people up.

Better to arrive late than not at all - more people need to remember that.
hi, where is the "fast" lane? i noticed Squidge mentioned the "slow" lane in an earlier post. Im a bit confused, could someone tell me the speed limit in each of these lanes.

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 00:39
I don't go fast but I'm totally aware of everyone on the road and if someone wants to pass me or go in front or whatever I let them go and get on with it. I mind coming up from Aberdeen once and a guy going like crazy behing me overtook and when I got outside Elgin he was dead!

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 00:52
I don't go fast but I'm totally aware of everyone on the road and if someone wants to pass me or go in front or whatever I let them go and get on with it. I mind coming up from Aberdeen once and a guy going like crazy behing me overtook and when I got outside Elgin he was dead!
I had a car like that once, took me forever to get up the road.

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 00:58
I had a car like that once, took me forever to get up the road.
There is nothing wrong with my car, it can go fast if it wants too. :lol:

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 01:01
There is nothing wrong with my car, it can go fast if it wants too. :lol:
i meant the guy had died of old age, doesnt anyone north of the border have a sense of humour, why is everyone on the defensive all time?

oldmarine
03-Dec-06, 01:15

I am happy to report that my wife and 3 daughters are safe drivers and carefully follow the rules of the road. None of them have ever received traffic tickets for violations. That is more than I can say for myself who has received tickets for traffic violations. And so, not all women drivers fit into this accusation.

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 01:18
I am happy to report that my wife and 3 daughters are safe drivers and carefully follow the rules of the road. None of them have ever received traffic tickets for violations. That is more than I can say for myself who has received tickets for traffic violations. And so, not all women drivers fit into this accusation.
ok, but im guessing they aint driving the family tractor, spilling diesel and mud all over the road with buckled wheels and faulty lights, im right aint i? thats the traffic violations your talkin about.

oldmarine
03-Dec-06, 01:30
ok, but im guessing they aint driving the family tractor, spilling diesel and mud all over the road with buckled wheels and faulty lights, im right aint i? thats the traffic violations your talkin about.

No, I am referring to common curtesy and following the general rules of the road for driving.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-06, 19:50
coming up to Xmas I guess we will all have to be a bit more careful as you will not know who might have a drink in them.

bobsgirl
03-Dec-06, 21:28
coming up to Xmas I guess we will all have to be a bit more careful as you will not know who might have a drink in them.

That is very true.
I cannot stand people that slow down for the sake of someone coming up behind them fast, everyone should be doing the speed limit so no need for rage drivers! If everyone drove properly then there wouldnt be a problem would there!

DarkAngel
03-Dec-06, 23:38
Im quite a calm driver.But when it come to roundabouts and people dont use their indicators..Really really gets up my hump, I end up cursing and swearing!!!!:roll:

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 23:46
Im quite a calm driver.But when it come to roundabouts and people dont use their indicators..Really really gets up my hump, I end up cursing and swearing!!!!:roll:

Not using indicators at roundabouts........this is something that I notice happening a lot not just at roundabouts. I remember when I was first learning to drive in and around Wick and my driving instructor told me that should the car in front suddenly stop and the driver get out.....consider it parked.:confused
We had a good laugh at this but I suppose its true in some cases.

dozerboy
04-Dec-06, 13:45
hi, where is the "fast" lane? i noticed Squidge mentioned the "slow" lane in an earlier post. Im a bit confused, could someone tell me the speed limit in each of these lanes.

The "fast" lane is just another word for the overtaking lane. The outside lane of a 2 lane carriageway, or the 3 rd lane of a 3 lane carriageway. The "slow" lane is always the inside lane.

We should always return to the left as soon as it's safe to do so after an overtaking manoevre. That doesn't mean hanging in the middle lane of a 3 laner either!!

Perhaps we should all be doing the advanced driving test, to improve our knowledge and skills. No-one is perfect - not even the DOT's ADI's!!

changilass
04-Dec-06, 14:31
I would love to do the advanced driving test is there anywhere up here that run the courses???

johno
04-Dec-06, 15:27
I would love to do the advanced driving test is there anywhere up here that run the courses???
Think that the police might be able to help you there ,im pretty sure that someone told me that they do advanced driving courses. worth enquiring if your really interested

Through
04-Dec-06, 17:49
I have no confidence in reporting drivers to the police. Not that long ago, I called them to report a clear case of dangerous driving involving the same driver indulging in three moves that contravened clear road signs. This was a first for me, since everyone makes a mistake now and then, so why report everything you see? However, this was fairly serious. I included several witnesses. I was hesitantly told that it would be passed on to the desk Sergeant who would decide whether they might do something about it or not.

Through
05-Dec-06, 12:34
This morning I was driving past Mount Pleasant School. The lights were flashing, so I was sitting at 20 like you are obliged to do. Looking in my mirror, I saw a big 4X4 thing coming up fast. He swooped past me and although I have no way of knowing just what speed he was doing, it seemed like more than 30 to me. It was a couple in a Hyundai Terracan or something.

Later on, outside Thurso on the 60 MPH stretch, I caught up with them. They were doing (a presumably nice, safe) 50.

Does this make sense to anyone?

dozerboy
05-Dec-06, 20:56

I would suggest getting in touch with an ADI, and they should be able to tell you where you could do an advanced driving course. It should enable you to get cheaper insurance when you gain a qualification like that. A bit like the pass plus does for new drivers now.