PDA

View Full Version : TV advertising

nightowl
27-Jan-12, 18:25
I know that some are fantastically clever and some are fantastically annoying, but which ones work best for you. Are you attracted to the product of the slick or the silly?
I am prompted to ask this because of the current Febreze ad which is doing my head in. I must look away whenever it comes on and if I even spy Febreze on the shelf at the supermarket I feel I want to “boak”!! So if they wanted my custom, I'm afraid they've shot themselves in foot as I don't think I'll ever buy Febreze again.........

poppett
27-Jan-12, 18:56
We record everything on Sky+ to watch at our leisure so edit out the adverts.

pmcd
27-Jan-12, 20:28
Same as Poppett! But if by some oversight our screen is polluted by patronising, sexist, infantile, pathetic, greed-mongering,or envy-inducing ads (quite a few!) the solution is simple. They are entered into the "No Go List", and we will never buy the product or service. I will NOT be sold at in my own home.

linnie612
28-Jan-12, 02:40
I hate the toothpaste ads that are filmed at a 'jaunty' angle, with the supposed dentist speaking away from the camera. Grrr

Gronnuck
28-Jan-12, 08:25
IMO advertising is killing conventional TV viewing. They disrupt the storyline and spoil the viewer's concentration. Over the years there has been an increase in time given over to advertising. Where once there was three or four ads, there are now a dozen or more. There was a huge outcry when Downton Abbey had an advertising break six minutes from the end of a major episode. Increasingly people are becoming disenchanted and are recording the program so they can watch it at their leisure and skip the breaks.