PDA

View Full Version : secondhand baby shop

tracie7
26-Jan-12, 22:14
just thinking about opening up a secondhand baby shop it would be from clothes to prams, pushchairs, cots etc. would their be a demand for it. please give me your veiws:)

mi16
26-Jan-12, 22:30
just thinking about opening up a secondhand baby shop. would their be a demand for it. please give me your veiws:)

Secondhand babies?
I think it is both legally and morally wrong.
Out of curiosity how much for an average boy

starfish
26-Jan-12, 22:32
apart from someones witty remarks i think it would be a good idea if and when you do i wish you good luck

Bobinovich
26-Jan-12, 23:16
While not wishing to discourage new business ventures, by the time you take shop rent, rates, etc. into account I doubt there will be a decent profit/income from 2nd hand goods to make it worthwhile. Charity shops are gifted items to sell on, but they also qualify for reduced rates as well as grants towards staff and other costs, hence they can make it pay.

Nick Noble
26-Jan-12, 23:30
Well fourteen years ago when we had our first child and money was rather tight (how some things don't change!) we were fortunate enough to live not too far away from a shop with the wonderful(?) name of "The Stork Exchange" they started off purely with second hand baby items, many of which they sold on an agency basis, thus keeping down there investment in stock. Over time they started selling some new goods too.

Just had a look on google, and though they don't have a website they would appear to still be trading.

The shop is in Grassington, a small village in the Yorkshire Dales.

So I would say it is certainly a viable business model, and if you decide to take the plunge I wish you every success.

Phill
27-Jan-12, 02:27
Whilst I don't want to be negative and it should be something that should be supported (Green, Recycling etc.) I think too many people are 'funny' about second hand things, especially baby stuff.
Plus the likes of Tesco's & Asda et al flogging stuff for pennies in some cases doesn't help.

We had bundles of stuff including proper nappies, clothes, clobber, prams, guards, toys and general paraphernalia that we tried to sell (not for much, just pennies really), in the end it all went in the skip or recycling tins. We literally couldn't give it away, apart from the pram/pushchair.

EDDIE
27-Jan-12, 08:03
Whilst I don't want to be negative and it should be something that should be supported (Green, Recycling etc.) I think too many people are 'funny' about second hand things, especially baby stuff.
Plus the likes of Tesco's & Asda et al flogging stuff for pennies in some cases doesn't help.

We had bundles of stuff including proper nappies, clothes, clobber, prams, guards, toys and general paraphernalia that we tried to sell (not for much, just pennies really), in the end it all went in the skip or recycling tins. We literally couldn't give it away, apart from the pram/pushchair.
I agree especially with babys if ure thinking about going ahead and selling second hand baby cloths i would try an ebay shop to test the water and it would be a lot cheaper than a shop

JammyDodger69
27-Jan-12, 10:28
hi I work in one of the charity shops and i find that we dont get that many young people coming in to buy clothes Good luck if you do go ahead

tracie7
27-Jan-12, 12:16
hi it's not just baby clothes i would be selling. it would be prams, pushchairs, cots, blankets highchairs. etc

fallen_angel
27-Jan-12, 20:38
I think clothes wise I totally agree with what has already been said, with eBay and other budget shops baby clothes can be extremely affordable these days. People usually have friends and family with black bags full of clothes that have been stuck up in the loft just in case.Prams etc you would need to be careful with, if the item turned out to be defective at a later date you could be opening a can of worms. Another thing to bear in mind is that from my experience when selling my second hand baby equipment is that people are usually willing to pay very little and as previously said give very little profit for electric, rent etc.I would certainly do a little market research first and as also mentioned maybe set up an eBay shop before making more of a commitment. But good luck if you do decide to go ahead!

lisagrace
27-Jan-12, 22:52
How would it work as in getting the stock? would you be running it has a charity shop or buying stuff from people and selling it for a profit or selling it on their behalf and taking a percentage? I doubt people would donate things if it was just for you to profit and also you would be in competition with the many charity shops we have. The baby clothes shop in Thurso didn't last long and I think its because people prefer to buy from large shops