PDA

View Full Version : The BBC about as fair and impartial as Fox News

RecQuery
25-Jan-12, 09:07
Paxman with Alex Salmond on Newsnight - [7:50] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfN7bO_2Bc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfN7bO_2Bc

After you've listened to/watched the impartial BBC allowing one of its star presenters to compare Alex Salmond with Robert Mugabe, make a note to tune in to the Newsnight Referendum Special tonight at 10.35 on BBC2, where Nicola Sturgeon will be outnumbered three to one by unionists.

Also Paxman just talks over Salmond the whole time.

Paxman's body language was also interesting: arms folded, legs crossed, slightly turned away. He came across as a hysterical drag queen - does he do panto? Is there something about about BBC people named Jeremy (Clarkson & Paxman) that forces them to be annoying. It's almost as though they are playing the double bluff.

hastings
25-Jan-12, 09:55
Had to switch t v off. Found myself wanting to shout at t v,

Phill
25-Jan-12, 10:30
Paxman's just a knob. I stopped watching the idiot years ago with his 'style' of interviews i.e. just talking crap over people. Anne Robinson does the same on Watchthebogusbuilderdogthing, gets a representative from a Company in to answer questions and give their version of events, in reality she just shouts at and berates them for 30 seconds.

There is a huge difference between Clarkson & Paxman, Clarkson behaves like a knob for entertainment. I find him funny, some take him seriously and miss the humour. Paxman is supposed to be a serious journo'? Not actually sure thinking about it. Panto dame fits the mark though.
But again part of what he does is an act, as Salmond well knows. (Don't forget many S/E/MP's etc. get media training on how to handle interviews)

But it all does detract from from the BBC and makes the likes of Newsnight as valid as Trigger Happy TV as an informative program.

(do you know how many 'descriptive' words I had to use for Paxman before the forum stopped deleting them?)

RecQuery
25-Jan-12, 10:38
Paxman's just a knob. I stopped watching the idiot years ago with his 'style' of interviews i.e. just talking crap over people. Anne Robinson does the same on Watchthebogusbuilderdogthing, gets a representative from a Company in to answer questions and give their version of events, in reality she just shouts at and berates them for 30 seconds.

There is a huge difference between Clarkson & Paxman, Clarkson behaves like a knob for entertainment. I find him funny, some take him seriously and miss the humour. Paxman is supposed to be a serious journo'? Not actually sure thinking about it. Panto dame fits the mark though.
But again part of what he does is an act, as Salmond well knows. (Don't forget many S/E/MP's etc. get media training on how to handle interviews)

But it all does detract from from the BBC and makes the likes of Newsnight as valid as Trigger Happy TV as an informative program.

(do you know how many 'descriptive' words I had to use for Paxman before the forum stopped deleting them?)

The Clarkson comment was really just a throwaway he doesn't really annoy me (see previous thread on here about him). Paxman has always irritated me though, particularly his bullying dismissive attitude about things he can't understand.

Corrie 3
25-Jan-12, 10:59
Paxman's attitude always reminds me of S-i-S (aka T-i-T) on our beloved .Org Forum.

It's a "I know better than you" ..."I am the greatest"..."There's no one better than me" ..."I am a Big Head" attitude.

Perhaps Paxman and S-i-S (aka T-i-T) should have a head to head on climate change and then lets see who has the biggest ego!

C3..................:roll::roll:;)

bekisman
25-Jan-12, 12:04
Thanks for that; quite enjoyable, but to ask if it was Fair and impartial?

I remember the drubbing Paxman gave the Tory Michael Howard (did you) and also George Galloway - he was easy on Salmond.

"Also Paxman just talks over Salmond the whole time". - what's new - course he does, that's the way he treats them all, I'm sure Salmond enjoyed it as much as I did..

RecQuery
25-Jan-12, 12:07
Thanks for that; quite enjoyable, but to ask if it was Fair and impartial?

I remember the drubbing Paxman gave the Tory Michael Howard (did you) and also George Galloway - he was easy on Salmond.

"Also Paxman just talks over Salmond the whole time". - what's new - course he does, that's the way he treats them all, I'm sure Salmond enjoyed it as much as I did..

You don't justify bad behaviour by pointing to worse though or by saying 'that's the way it's always been done'. There's a difference between someone refusing to answer a question and just being a dick and Paxman is being a dick.

I did actually think he was too harsh on Michael Howard but every-man-and-his-dog points to it as how great Paxman is.

Gronnuck
25-Jan-12, 12:16
Much as I disagree with independence I have to acknowledge Wee Eck handled the knob Paxman quite well. If anyone made a prat of themself it was Paxman.

bekisman
25-Jan-12, 12:19
I've never said he's great, (and I've no dog) - the man's a prat, I just like the way he 'interviews'. I like to watch the squirming as his 'guests' try to avoid direct questioning..
Trying to read something into Paxmans 'body language' in his chair is irrelevant, that's the way he always acts.

Presumably you don't watch Paxman, so would be unaware that's normal..

John Little
25-Jan-12, 12:24
You don't justify bad behaviour by pointing to worse though or by saying 'that's the way it's always been done'. There's a difference between someone refusing to answer a question and just being a dick and Paxman is being a dick.

I did actually think he was too harsh on Michael Howard but every-man-and-his-dog points to it as how great Paxman is.

Paxman is supercilious, condescending and arrogant; always has been and always will be.

Having said that, it's his job to give politicians a hard time otherwise they get a free ride. He does that; and in fairness I think he does it with all, not just Salmond.

But just think - how would it have been with John Humphries?

golach
25-Jan-12, 12:49
I consider Eck is supercilious, condescending and arrogant; always has been and always will be.
Thanks J Little, I borrowed your words.

Green_not_greed
25-Jan-12, 13:21
Paxman's attitude always reminds me of S-i-S (aka T-i-T) on our beloved .Org Forum.

It's a "I know better than you" ..."I am the greatest"..."There's no one better than me" ..."I am a Big Head" attitude.

Perhaps Paxman and S-i-S (aka T-i-T) should have a head to head on climate change and then lets see who has the biggest ego!

C3..................:roll::roll:;)

I'd say that Paxman and Wee Eck are equally matched in terms of ego, ..."I am the greatest"..."There's no one better than me", etc etc....

Torvaig
25-Jan-12, 13:36
"Paxman's body language was also interesting: arms folded, legs crossed, slightly turned away."

I believe Paxman was turning away to read a prompt of some sort in order to help him through the interview rather than deliberate attempts at denigrating Salmond. I take all these interviews with several pinches of salt; many of the participants/showmen enjoy the banter as do many here on the org!

All part of life's rich pageantry!

bekisman
25-Jan-12, 14:59
So THE question will be:
"Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?"

Phill
25-Jan-12, 15:19
Full speech here: http://www.snp.org/blog/post/2012/jan/your-scotland-your-referendum

Rheghead
25-Jan-12, 15:51
So THE question will be:
"Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?"

It's like one of those daft opinion poll questions where the options are

1. I fully agree
2. I agree
3. I neither agree or disagree
4. I disagree
5. I fully disagree

squidge
25-Jan-12, 16:08
Whatever your thoughts on Paxman apparently following the interview 96 people signed up to join the SNP. Its a poor show for those that are still on the fence and would like a sensible interview probing some of the real issues to hear jeremy Paxman ask how they will move the gold. Its about time that Unionists and those responsible for putting forward the Unionist position with regards to the benefits of being in the Union started to take this referendum seriously and stop treating it like an annoying little dog which if they pat it or give it a kick will send it away. I want to hear some REAL in depth serious discussion not some patronising question about armoured trucks.

Phill
25-Jan-12, 17:27
Having said that, it's his job to give politicians a hard time otherwise they get a free ride.Giving them a hard time is fair crack, make them spell out in detail how they propose to make their policies work etc. but just to be rude and talk over them doesn't do any good. Just wastes everybody's time and licence fee. As you said he's a superknob!
Its a poor show for those that are still on the fence and would like a sensible interview probing some of the real issues to hear jeremy Paxman ask how they will move the gold. 'xactly! If anything it played into Salmonds hands, water off a ducks back, he just laughed it off.

Rheghead
25-Jan-12, 18:02
I'm afraid that anyone who actually listens to the debate over the actual benefits of independence will be enticed by Salmond's positive campaign, that is why I will constantly indulge myself in bullying, name calling and cheap political shots to anyone listens to him. :lol::roll:

<tongue firmly in cheek>

bekisman
25-Jan-12, 19:23
It's started this lot off again now:
http://www.welshindependence.net/

Green_not_greed
25-Jan-12, 20:25
It's like one of those daft opinion poll questions where the options are

1. I fully agree
2. I agree
3. I neither agree or disagree
4. I disagree
5. I fully disagree

And...

6. All of the above.

George Brims
25-Jan-12, 20:56
I've never said he's great, (and I've no dog) - the man's a prat, I just like the way he 'interviews'. I like to watch the squirming as his 'guests' try to avoid direct questioning..
Trying to read something into Paxmans 'body language' in his chair is irrelevant, that's the way he always acts.

Presumably you don't watch Paxman, so would be unaware that's normal..
We don't get Paxman on American telly. He wouldn't be allowed on here. He doesn't suck up to people. That said, the one I miss is Robin Day, sorry SIR Robin Day. Loved the interview where he corrected M. Thatcher for calling him "Mr Day".

RecQuery
26-Jan-12, 08:44
This seems like the best place to say this rather than opening a new thread.

I wonder if the BBC have been told by the powers-that-be to mention Scottish stuff more. I'm hearing a lot more about Burns Night this year than I have in previous years. Perhaps trying to make themselves appear less anglocentric in response to the independence stuff.

John Little
26-Jan-12, 09:45
I would not have thought so - BBC Scotland are a fairly large organisation and presumably capable of exercising some measure of independence...

RecQuery
26-Jan-12, 10:10
I would not have thought so - BBC Scotland are a fairly large organisation and presumably capable of exercising some measure of independence...

This was mainstream broadcast to the entire country BBC not BBC Scotland I was talking about, the local coverage is a joke. They count traffic and weather reports as local coverage and their news and current affairs are laughable they seem to be fasincated by football and sectarianism, ignoring much better and influential stories in favour of those. Beyond that you get the odd bad guy or hard man on a BBC programme with a Scottish accent or crap like River City.

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 10:44
I find Reporting Scotland's policy of putting a kilt on the news for everything a bit irritating.

John Little
26-Jan-12, 17:27
This was mainstream broadcast to the entire country BBC not BBC Scotland I was talking about, the local coverage is a joke. They count traffic and weather reports as local coverage and their news and current affairs are laughable they seem to be fasincated by football and sectarianism, ignoring much better and influential stories in favour of those. Beyond that you get the odd bad guy or hard man on a BBC programme with a Scottish accent or crap like River City.

LOL! It's the same here you know! Most of the news is London based because that's where the government is based.

And I live near Midsomer Norton. My wife actually watches Midsomer murders - you would not get me going there if the mayhem on that show were owt like real!

But your description of Scottish telly is just like the BBC's other divisions too. There ain't that many regional accents there either.

Phill
26-Jan-12, 17:47
My wife actually watches Midsomer murdersShe's not just trying to keep one step ahead of the rozzers is she!!! :eek:

John Little
26-Jan-12, 19:42
She's not just trying to keep one step ahead of the rozzers is she!!! :eek:

Nah - she always has a hankering for the dodgy but always stays on the right side of the law. She'd be a great criminal mastermind though...

RecQuery
26-Jan-12, 19:49
LOL! It's the same here you know! Most of the news is London based because that's where the government is based.

And I live near Midsomer Norton. My wife actually watches Midsomer murders - you would not get me going there if the mayhem on that show were owt like real!

But your description of Scottish telly is just like the BBC's other divisions too. There ain't that many regional accents there either.

They should do a more realistic episode where Barnaby has to deal with a farming dispute over a cow or borders or something (I'm not a farmer how should I should know).

I've heard the London-centric stuff from a few people in different regions I realise it's the same I just thought - without coming off as self entitled if possible - that as Scotland is/was a different country that it would get some better treatment than a region of England.

Gizmo
26-Jan-12, 20:12
Paxman has always been a smug git, and I thought Alex Salmond did a pretty good job of handling the smug gits attitude.