PDA

View Full Version : Oil Central Heating

Marty McFly
24-Jan-12, 21:20
We seem to be going through an awful lot of oil just now to keep our house warm, and we haven't really had a 'proper' winter yet!

We've not long moved to this house, and the heating is proving to be much more expensive than we anticipated despite cutting back and insulating. And there seems to be only one oil supplier in Caithness, which is not good.

Anyone else finding they're going through heating oil like there's no tomorrow? :eek:

Whitewater
24-Jan-12, 23:22
Could be your house, perhaps it needs more insulaton. We have had oil heating for about 20yrs now and the amount I burn seems to be very consistant, I use 2400 litres over approx 16months + or - a week or two depending on the type of winter.
If the house you have moved into is an older stone built type it is perhaps in need of pointing as water can enter between the stonework particularly with the type of weather we have been getting recently i.e strong winds and driving rain and sleet. Also if it is larger it is perhaps nothing more having a few more rooms to heat.

I have always used Simpsons they seem to be fair, they were the cheapest at one time as there was another that operated out of Scrabster I think it was called Scottish Oils but I'm not too sure. I didn't realise there was only one now.

Tilly Teckel
25-Jan-12, 00:58
Check your tank. I thought I was going through an awful amount of oil too, then happened to notice my tank had a leak!

david
25-Jan-12, 13:19
We seem to be going through an awful lot of oil just now to keep our house warm, and we haven't really had a 'proper' winter yet!

We've not long moved to this house, and the heating is proving to be much more expensive than we anticipated despite cutting back and insulating. And there seems to be only one oil supplier in Caithness, which is not good.

Anyone else finding they're going through heating oil like there's no tomorrow? :eek:

I use about 1500ltrs a year, however we supplement that with peat in our woodburning stove. Its good in the spring and summer when there is no need for the underfloor heating on but you still have cold nights.

aidipi
25-Jan-12, 13:50
There are still two sources for oil. Scottish Fuels and Simpsons. We got ours from Scottish Fuels after calling both companies for a price comparison.

gerry4
25-Jan-12, 14:28
aidipi, when was that. i stopped comparing as Simpsons was always cheapest. I have just paid 64.55p for 1,000 litres. Up from last october.

DeHaviLand
25-Jan-12, 15:06
Its cheaper in Caithness than Inverness at the moment then. It was 69.7p down here this week, with 5% vat to be added to that.

aidipi
25-Jan-12, 23:22
I just checked it was last September.

silverfox57
26-Jan-12, 09:43
Have been with Scottish fuels for many years.and last year this same debate came up on here,so phoned Simpson's oil in wick.to check price.

and was the same as Scottish fuels.we try to save on oil by turning thermostat down from 20 to 15 house is still hot but save on oil.PS as this has been the warmest winter
in years we saved on oil so far this winter.