PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the new council offices For wick look ugly and out-of-place

RecQuery
23-Jan-12, 10:25
Pictures and article here (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=2760)

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/image_cache/na2760.jpg

I'm all for a modern design but it just looks ugly and out-of-place to me.

EDIT: I just want to say that this isn't an attack on the modern. I like the modern, I just think that in this case it doesn't look good.

Phill
23-Jan-12, 10:46
£8.5m !! Some bliddy offices! :eek:

Having worked for a redevelopment / property company working with listed, old / period buildings I can say that bold contrasts do work. I've not looked into these plans only the picture above so difficult to comment properly.

The only thing I have to say is that during the design process have the council really questioned (and pummelled) the architects on material and finishes for the project? Without proper forethought and input from experienced property maintenance peeps some of these bold follies from architects end up looking, well, shite after a few years because they are difficult to maintain to a good standard.

demac-artist
23-Jan-12, 10:57
i am all for revamping old buildings etc but that is so ugly and will stick out like a sore thumb considering all the rest of the buildings have lovely features and classic looks Weatherspoons for example with the stone detailing

phil1958
23-Jan-12, 11:15
i too agree the buildings thats on plan look out off contrast with the town and surrunding buildings and would like to know how they agreed to it cos if you ..joe blogg that is try to build something diffrent in a housing estate or street where old buildings stand you would be refused also would be better if its rebuilt to it original condition as new someone should start up a petition against it cos nothing was done when they took our A9 ROAD from us we just sit back and let them waste money same as the millions on glass factory and water plant ..yet town centre is dead ...

Trajan
23-Jan-12, 11:36
Looks like a multi storey car park conversion in concrete. dropped in beside some lovely buildings, how did they get planning perm for that.
8.5m for that monstrosity, do we really need it, i think not, 8.5m would go a long way to keeping jobs in this county.

gillsbay
23-Jan-12, 11:46
Do you all think that the 1950s building which they are knocking down looks good? Yes it would be great if they could build the replacement in a style which matches the High Street facade or 'spoons but that would cost even more.

RecQuery
23-Jan-12, 11:46
Looks like a multi storey car park conversion in concrete. dropped in beside some lovely buildings, how did they get planning perm for that.
8.5m for that monstrosity, do we really need it, i think not, 8.5m would go a long way to keeping jobs in this county.

I did think it was amazing how the council magically had money for projects they like, but not for other things.

webmannie
23-Jan-12, 13:41
There are more pictures on Caithness.org home page. It is not in keeping with the existing buildings/area is it? wonder what Prince Charles would say? I also thought it looked like a multi-story car park.

I note it is lit up like a christmas tree at night, just like the cooncil offices at Golspie is all weekend every weekend. Cost cutting exercises? Seems like it applies to people and not till buildings!

Kodiak
23-Jan-12, 13:41
When it comes to spending money a Council ALWAYS have funds if it is for themselves. Like building expensive new Council Offices. :eek:

spurtle
23-Jan-12, 13:44
Has 1960s brutalism come back into fashion?

RecQuery
23-Jan-12, 14:00
Here's a link to the gallery (http://www.caithness.org/fpb/2012/january/gallery.php?gallery=7&start=0), with some more concept photos posted below.

http://www.caithness.org/photos/fpb/2012/january/new_wick_council_offices/office104.jpg

http://www.caithness.org/photos/fpb/2012/january/new_wick_council_offices/office103.jpg

john w
23-Jan-12, 14:10
Just look at the mess they made of High Street when it was re-developped, how can this building be seen as ugly.

Blackbird
23-Jan-12, 14:29
It's like something George Orwell would be proud of in '1984!'

embow
23-Jan-12, 14:51
"A monstrous carbuncle" could not do this mess justice. Brutal!

mi16
23-Jan-12, 14:59
looks great

starfish
23-Jan-12, 15:01
the council flatten places like this in essex. Years ago as they sad they were old fashion and modernised the towns . this building is a real eyesore .

Even Chance
23-Jan-12, 15:18
looks great

Im with you. Looks kinda funky.:cool:

Even Chance
23-Jan-12, 15:22
When it comes to spending money a Council ALWAYS have funds if it is for themselves. Like building expensive new Council Offices. :eek:

If you'd have seen the state of the building as it stands now instead of spouting keich you'd realise that a replacement building is something thats been overdue for some considerable time. Theyve held on as long as they can I reckon. And no , I dinna work for e cooncil.....

mi16
23-Jan-12, 15:26
If you'd have seen the state of the building as it stands now instead of spouting keich you'd realise that a replacement building is something thats been overdue for some considerable time. Theyve held on as long as they can I reckon. And no , I dinna work for e cooncil.....

relax mate, we all know you are a speech therapist!!

Gronnuck
23-Jan-12, 15:31
It is obviously cheaper to demolish and rebuild than to cobble together and refurbish an old building. Change happens all the time. My only concern is that it's awful square looking, as if the architect learnt his/her craft with a big box of Lego.
Do you think we'll all be able to see the clock on the top of it?

Corrie 3
23-Jan-12, 15:48
It's nice to see the Council bringing Wick into the 1960's !!!!

I wonder if we will get Gene Hunt at Northern Constabulary as well!!!

C3..................:roll::roll:

Even Chance
23-Jan-12, 16:10
relax mate, we all know you are a speech therapist!!

LOL!!!! Ye ken I choost canna speak right. Too many years spent listenin til you!!

phil1958
23-Jan-12, 16:23
i must say i had enough trouble getting permission to put a shed up so how the hell can they allow something like that to pass throu red tape and why have we not be able to give our vote as the towns people on it i know the old building is in state off repair but not to be replace with that ..think its time to take this up with my mp vicount john thurso to see if he can get this changed ....

mi16
23-Jan-12, 16:38
yes he is a very useful chap isn't he?

ducati
23-Jan-12, 16:53
So if you read Bill's article on Newsbot he seems quite pleased with it. Not just for the aesthetic, but for the efficiency and cost saving it will make for the council. I kind of like it, but it will depend on what the stone facing looks like. It reminds me of some of the new retail buildings in Edinburgh and Manchester. It is replacing a pretty nasty building don't forget.

roadbowler
23-Jan-12, 16:58
what red tape? Highland council applies to itself then gives itself planning permission. That how it works. Maybe, just maybe that building will look no too bad for a year or two but, these types of buildings don't wear well in my opinion. It will be all stained up with dirt and watermarks within a few years and look terrible. On par with a parking ramp as mentioned above. Would it have killed them to stone face the thing? Maybe add arches in the windows and other design details to ditch the "box" effect? Isn't this the very type of development the planning people always complain about, not keeping within the Caithness character?

roadbowler
23-Jan-12, 17:01
oh, they stone facing it? Pic i saw looked like just plain ol white render. Well, we can only wait and see what like.

mi16
23-Jan-12, 17:04
To keep with Caithness character a 100m wind turbine would have been more appropriate

roadbowler
23-Jan-12, 17:10
To keep with Caithness character a 100m wind turbine would have been more appropriate lol, yes, a bit surprised they no putting a wind turbine up the top. Lol

RecQuery
23-Jan-12, 17:18
If we're taking suggestions perhaps something like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLpwpRH6PA

We can even put a wind turbine on top or something.

badger
24-Jan-12, 17:23
Looks hideous, especially with that quite unnecessary clock tower. What's that all about? Also there will be no privacy for anyone working there or visiting with those huge windows. You would think they might have learned from the disaster of the Scottish Parliament but seems not. How did they get planning permission? Did it go through the usual channels because I don't remember.

Eilanboy
24-Jan-12, 17:35
Looks hideous, especially with that quite unnecessary clock tower. What's that all about? Also there will be no privacy for anyone working there or visiting with those huge windows. You would think they might have learned from the disaster of the Scottish Parliament but seems not. How did they get planning permission? Did it go through the usual channels because I don't remember.

Have you never heard of window blinds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upolian
24-Jan-12, 18:32
I like :-)

Rheghead
24-Jan-12, 18:56
We may think it is a carbuncle but in the right location it won't look too out of place so I'm cautiously giving it the thumbs up.

ducati
24-Jan-12, 20:11
Looks hideous, especially with that quite unnecessary clock tower. What's that all about?

The clock?

ducati
26-Jan-12, 15:59
I must say, looking at the concept photos' I think at the same time they must mean to introduce a new dress code for all Wick Towncentians. :eek:

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 16:07
Walter Gropius has a lot to answer for.