PDA

View Full Version : This Morning STV

wilma
01-Nov-06, 15:47
Watching this programme today and was shocked at the guest who was addicted to sunbeds. She was in her early 30's but looked more 60.
They showed her how her skin was actually affected by this and the age of her skin was that of a 50 year old.
She had a skin cancer scare and was in the least bothered and still continues to use them.
As long as she felt healthly with tanned skin she was not phased by this.

paris
01-Nov-06, 16:41
I also know someone who when ever possible goes on the dreaded sunbeds, even brought her own and yes she looks like a dried up old prune at only 22yrs old. Trouble is she thinks she looks good aswell but by going what the lads say they hate the way she looks, they thing its to false and tackie. jan x

Whitewater
01-Nov-06, 16:52
Too much sun is very damaging to the skin, I lived in a warm sunny country for many years where many of the 25 to 30 year olds looked like dried out prunes, you would think they were at least 50. The facial wrinkles were even worse in the smokers, they looked like 60+. Having said that I'm not knocking our aging population (myself included), many have very beautiful skin, that may be thanks to our pleasant climate, (although we do gurn about it most of the time).

Niall Fernie
01-Nov-06, 19:11
I suffer mildly from excema and psoriasis so I go to the new standup tanning in Wick now that its opened (used to go the the one in Thurso). I find that going once a week for a few weeks really helps the condition of my skin but I would never go as far as some people seem to. Also for anyone interested in doing the same, I find that if I get mild sunburn from a session, I get the best results when it clears up. Also for the time that my skin is burnt, my normal itch goes completely and as the redness dies away so does most of the broken skin.

I got the idea from my wee sis who was sent to her local hospital for UV treatment for the same conditions, although I don't get the treatment on the NHS I do get some of the benefits of unbroken skin for a few months.

unicorn
01-Nov-06, 19:17
I went to the tan cabin a few times but last time I got burnt as the person before me had turned the fan off and I was too wee to reach the button to put it back on lol and too lazy to get dressed to ask someone to turn it on for me :)

scorrie
01-Nov-06, 19:40
I suffer mildly from excema and psoriasis so I go to the new standup tanning in Wick now that its opened (used to go the the one in Thurso). I find that going once a week for a few weeks really helps the condition of my skin but I would never go as far as some people seem to. Also for anyone interested in doing the same, I find that if I get mild sunburn from a session, I get the best results when it clears up. Also for the time that my skin is burnt, my normal itch goes completely and as the redness dies away so does most of the broken skin.

I got the idea from my wee sis who was sent to her local hospital for UV treatment for the same conditions, although I don't get the treatment on the NHS I do get some of the benefits of unbroken skin for a few months.

Do you think the standup tanning would help posters who suffer from being very thin-skinned? ;o)

Fran
02-Nov-06, 02:07
Did you see the programme on tv tonight - Wednesday - tanning worshippers. They get spray tans done at home, tanning machines, wipe on tans and real sun tans. One man goes about in his garden naked every day to get a tan and there was a woman of 70 who gets spray tanned each week. It was an interesting programme, but they were like addicts to get brown!!

canuck
02-Nov-06, 02:15
Watching this programme today and was shocked at the guest who was addicted to sunbeds. She was in her early 30's but looked more 60.
They showed her how her skin was actually affected by this and the age of her skin was that of a 50 year old.

I have 50 year old skin and it seems to work just fine.

Moira
02-Nov-06, 02:36
I'm not admitting the age of my skin here but I've never understood the fascination of some people with the "bronze thing", disregarding all the health advice of using appropriate sun-creams etc. I remain pale & interesting ;)

angela5
02-Nov-06, 10:16
Did you see the programme on tv tonight - Wednesday - tanning worshippers. They get spray tans done at home, tanning machines, wipe on tans and real sun tans. One man goes about in his garden naked every day to get a tan and there was a woman of 70 who gets spray tanned each week. It was an interesting programme, but they were like addicts to get brown!!

The 70 year old woman was Nora who worshipped Fake Tan and Elvis. I thought she looked pretty good for her age.
Amazing what stuff in a bottle can do to you.:lol:
The young red-headed girl who organised celebrity parties thought too much of herself, going on about how good she had to look, i just hope before she went to one of the parties she waxed her armpits.:eek:
The naked man Sid, he was just a wrinkly prune.

katarina
02-Nov-06, 10:50

Why do so many people strive to get as dark skin as possible, yet I wonder how many are prejudice against people with naturally dark skin?

Kingetter
02-Nov-06, 10:57
Why do so many people strive to get as dark skin as possible, yet I wonder how many are prejudice against people with naturally dark skin?

Years ago, in the original version of the film, Oceans 11, Sammy Davis Jr and Frank Sinatra are sitting in a truck, and Sinatra has been 'darkening' his face for disguise, Davis makes the point "Mine's natural". Natural is hard to beat.