PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

hobbes1962
01-Nov-06, 14:31
Has anyone sold a car recently which has a disabled taxation class on it?

I will hopefully be selling my private car towards the end of next week (due to arrival of my motability car) and I currently have the taxation class on my existing car as disabled. However I can't sell the car with this tax disc on it.

I have spoken to the DVLA to get advice as to how to change the taxation class which is reasonably simple enough however, if I were to change it and add six months tax on it, I would get the disc pretty quickly but would have to wait four weeks for the new registration certificate to be sent out (which I can't sell the car without).

What do you guys reckon about selling the car with no tax disc? At least this way, the registration certificate is with the car and the new owner could drive away the vehicle in a few days.

Anybody had to do this recently?

emszxr
01-Nov-06, 14:40
i would just sell it with no tax, so the new owner can arrange to get it done.

i once bought a car that had a disabled tax disc on it, i drove it till the tax disc expired then had to pay for a new disc, tut tut

hobbes1962
01-Nov-06, 15:12
i once bought a car that had a disabled tax disc on it, i drove it till the tax disc expired then had to pay for a new disc, tut tut

Tut tut indeed:lol:

Thanks for your reply though, I think it is going to be easier all round if I just sell it with no tax disc

young
01-Nov-06, 17:34
my friend recently bought a car that had a disabled tax on it and he had to go to Inverness office there and everything was changed over the same day

peedie
01-Nov-06, 18:13
when i got my car it had a disabled tax disc still on it, you have to go to the office in inverness but they change it on the same day

hobbes1962
01-Nov-06, 19:42
Yes, I know I need to go to the Inverness officer, although as I can't drive there it can be done by post. The problem is though is that if I did this, I would not have the registration document for the car for a month and I can't sell the car without it.

young
01-Nov-06, 20:03
when you sell the car you take your tax from it sign over the registration documents to them and explain to the buyer that to tax it they will need to go to Inverness themselves with the car to get the tax disc for it. Thats what my mate done

moose and Lindsay
01-Nov-06, 20:22
All u do is take the V5 to the post office change the taxation class on the V5 to PLG and fill in a tax disc form and u will get tax straight away and the post office will send the V5 to DVLA for u .......simple as that :lol:

Sell the car with no tax and take the price of the tax off the price u want for the car

Gogglebox
01-Nov-06, 22:50
Changed mine at the start of October and they did the whole thing in Thurso Post Office and sent the registration forms away too
Ths is a new service before you had to go to Inverness
You could give the reg docs to the buyer and he can go to PO and get tax that day
Remember and take off your discabled tax disc - -you can get into trouble if the buyer has it and uses it instead of normal tax

hobbes1962
02-Nov-06, 11:58
All u do is take the V5 to the post office change the taxation class on the V5 to PLG and fill in a tax disc form and u will get tax straight away and the post office will send the V5 to DVLA for u .......simple as that :lol:

After speaking to both the DVLA and the Post Office you can no longer change the taxation class from disabled to PLG, it has to be done at Inverness.

You can change the taxation class from PLG to disabled at the Post Office though as far as I am still aware although I don't need to do this!