PDA

View Full Version : Charity Collectors round the doors

poppett
21-Jan-12, 11:13
It would appear that there are a group collecting cash round the doors allegedly for McMillan cancer charity. Sadly they are bogus and if they do come a calling please alert the police to help catch them in the act.

Scunner
21-Jan-12, 11:32
I had a bedraggled girl calling on Thursday, and wondered why Mcmillan would be collecting round the houses.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jan-12, 12:55
Anyone desperate enough to be out knocking doors today deserve a contribution.

pumkin
21-Jan-12, 15:12
Sadly they are bogus and if they do come a calling please alert the police to help catch them in the act.

How do you know they are bogus? I'm not accusing you of lying, I just want to know how you know for sure that these people are bogus.

poppett
21-Jan-12, 16:48
Because the police asked us to be alert when they attended last night due to my car being vandalised.

Knowing my husband has fought two cancer battles they knew it would be a cause the neighbourhood would be likely to donate to.

Bazeye
21-Jan-12, 16:55
I had a bedraggled girl calling on Thursday

Lucky you.

unicorn
22-Jan-12, 00:34
I had a guy at my door on Thursday night, back of 8 at night supposedly from Macmillan, wish I had seen this sooner, gave them nothing as I never do to unless it is a collecting tin.

lisagrace
22-Jan-12, 01:31
I had two girls at my door this week but I was on my way out and had my kids in the car so didn't give them anything but spoke to them. They looked to me like they were wearing logos on their tops and had clip boards etc. I haven't had door to door collectors in a long time - have charities stopped doing this?

poppett
22-Jan-12, 11:51
Any snippett of information about these fraudsters will help the police to catch them.

Swannie
23-Jan-12, 00:03
Macmillan do collect door to door in the area in early summer. However all collectors have a 'Macmillan' collecting tin, Macmillan stickers and an authorisation card. They collect only on one specific week (which is authorised by Highland Council, I think).

billy5000
23-Jan-12, 01:43
watch out for a spate of breakins as this could be a precurser to a more serious crime and by knocking on your door they can tell if your out or if you answer it they may see inside!
so keep those keys clear of your front doors and lock up well!

not saying they are those type but it never hurts to think the worst that way your prepared or have done everything that police recommend you do to secure your home etc!
abit like hiding your pin at a cash point!(looking in your door etc)

im not scare mongering or trying to sound OTT but you cannot be too carefull these days and its a desparate economic time with thieves stealing damn wiring/monuments/plaques/manhole covers/etc etc

all im saying is be aware and dont let them take you for a mug!
for all we know these guys/girls could casing your place under the (charity card)so later some nasty heartless scum can break in and steal your stuff!!(it happens)

unicorn
23-Jan-12, 10:10
They wanted monthly donations, so I assume bank details

DragonBornsFury
23-Jan-12, 10:58
They do take bank details as someone close to me recently had this done to them. They are very convincing & appear to have all of the propor documents that look legitimate.