PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on Christmas?

willowbankbear
01-Nov-06, 09:48
As its the 1st of November, the shops will be starting to think about stocking up with xmas decorations, toys & goodies for all the family for December 25th, Some shops already have the xmas decor on sale in Wick!!

How much do you spend on christmas ? Do you go ott & get a bank loan or are ye canny with your money? Or are ye just plain miserable & dont spend very much at all?

How much would ye say was an acceptable amount to spend on xmas prezzies? And I asked this last year, what would you like from Santa this year?

porshiepoo
01-Nov-06, 10:04
We only spend what we can afford to spend and have never, ever got out a loan to pay for it.
When the girls were younger we probably spent about £300 on each of them but thats because they're happy with cheap stuff at that age, now we probably tend to spend more along the lines of £500 each - but seem to get less for our money Hmmmmm!

We also probably spend at least that amount on each other and a couple of hundred more on family and friends.
I know people that spend a whole lot more and the whole thing can get really scary when you tot up what you've spent.
Our kids are pretty good in that they're xmas list will probably consist of one or two things, it's us that go overboard not the kids expecting it.

Just remembered your question about what I want: Well heres my list Santa if you're looking in:
My niece to recover from cervical cancer, A laptop, Theres a human in my throat book, freelance photographers handbook 2007, Martina coles new book, practical photography subscription - all I can think of at the mo but I'm sure there'll be more.

golach
01-Nov-06, 10:12
Too much!!!!!!.........I dont mind spending my pension on my Grandaughters, and Mrs G....(what do I get the woman who has everything?) Its their Parents who are earning more money than me that I grudge.....but Mrs G disagrees, as for the presents I get from them.....I am fed up of scarves and tee shirts that are too beeg for me. I keep asking for Old Spice smelly stuff, but to them thats too old fashioned to buy.....so I end up smelling like the perfume counter in Jenners sitting in a tee shirt a family of Polish Immigrants could use as a tent. [lol]

paris
01-Nov-06, 10:25
Never spent loads on xmas, as long as everyone has something and we all have plenty to eat that does us just fine. Its about all being together and no arguments and watching all thoes old films and just chilling out.
For xmas i would like ............A house in caithness, :roll: ha ha ha x jan x

saxovtr
01-Nov-06, 10:53
i spend what i can afford,last xmas i never had a girlfriend so things mite get expensive:lol: but i dont mind to be honest,even though i complain about xmas until the day arrives its not a bad day i guess just sick of the repeats on tv does my head in [lol] for xmas im looking for a new mobile nothing to fancy(mines is about 6years old!)a new pc would be great this 1 is working(just lol) lifetime supply of beer would be good to! i dont ask for much as i have what i want i just need upgrades lol,your rite willowbankbear shops will be throwing the halloween theme out and xmas decorations will be up 'sighs' fun fun fun

Rheghead
01-Nov-06, 11:00
I usually send my mam a xmas card. I often give family and friends wee presents as tokens of friendship, some of us don't have to wait for a religious festival to show our appreciation of other people.

emszxr
01-Nov-06, 11:13
as someone already said christmas is all about getting together and having a nice time.
i have done all my shopping for christmas already apart from the food. i have spent £165 on all the christmas presents i need and that includes hubby and the kids. i would like series 5 of monarch of the glen, but i have everything i have always wanted, a wonderful husband and 2 beautiful kids.
we will probably be having venison for christmas dinner as that comes free, thanks to hubbys job. i have already bought all the drink too, so all together for christmas i cant see me going over £300 for everything.

golach
01-Nov-06, 11:37
as someone already said christmas is all about getting together and having a nice time.
i have done all my shopping for christmas already apart from the food. i have spent £165 on all the christmas presents i need and that includes hubby and the kids. i would like series 5 of monarch of the glen, but i have everything i have always wanted, a wonderful husband and 2 beautiful kids.
we will probably be having venison for christmas dinner as that comes free, thanks to hubbys job. i have already bought all the drink too, so all together for christmas i cant see me going over £300 for everything.
EMSZXR, you sound so organised I wish it was like that in my household......and can I come for Xmas to you......pleeez :lol:

Piglet
01-Nov-06, 11:41
Christmas gee whiz - i dinna really want to calculate that one. :roll:

Probably about £200 on each child then another £150 on other rellies, hubby & i don't give each other pressies - we always buy something for the house instead.

David from Stockport
01-Nov-06, 11:42
I spend less now than i did when my son was little ( hes 16 now) i spend about £150 on him , with people like parents i usualy spend about £30 each at christmas but i prefer to buy gifts through the year than at xmas . At xmas you end up buying for the sake of buying even if they propaly not have any use for it, i like it say if im out shopping in may and see something say my mum would like i just buy it and give it them then.
Xmas is my favorite time of the year as i work in a big store in the Trafford Centre Manchester and there is a real buzz, we only get xmas day off but as im on my own thats ok by me.
If santa is reading this id like a house in Caithness (just like Paris) also id like a nice woman and ive always fancied having my own little card shop, if santa is not reading this i suppose il have to keep working 7 days a week!!!!!!!!
On a more serious note happy xmas to all you orgers and may you all get lots of happiness regardless of what santa brings. x

trinkie
01-Nov-06, 11:47
Fearing it's rather vulgar to speak about what you spend on a gift, I must add something !
P'Poo ------- Do you really spend SO much at Christmas ? I'm amazed.
You obviously feel it's necessary!
Gollach ------ I agree with you !
R'Head ----- I must agree with you too!

We exchange small tokens with adults (Lots of secondhand books ) and a little more for the Grandchildren.

We buy extra food and several treats for everyone to share.
We give generously to Charity.... cash and time !
We gather round and exchange stories and family news, how I love that, never forgetting the Reason for it all.
We have a pretend Tree and the decorations are over 40years old now plus what the grandchildren have recently made!

I write or phone many old friends and make a huge effort to keep in touch.
It's a wonderful time of year for that reason alone - and great that it comes in the winter!

May you all have a Happy Time - each in your own way.

Best Wishes
Trinkie

porshiepoo
01-Nov-06, 12:19
[quote=trinkie;154761]Fearing it's rather vulgar to speak about what you spend on a gift, I must add something !
P'Poo ------- Do you really spend SO much at Christmas ? I'm amazed.
You obviously feel it's necessary!

Well I ain't a ruddy liar! Paris can probably confirm xmas at our house. lol.
We spend what we can afford. We never borrow and we never get in debt to do it, if it came to the point where we caouldn't afford to do it, we wouldn't. We don't feel pressure at xmas to have to spend what we do and theres actually quite alot of people out there that spend a whole heap more.

Gollach ------ I agree with you !
R'Head ----- I must agree with you too!

We exchange small tokens with adults (Lots of secondhand books ) and a little more for the Grandchildren.

We buy extra food and several treats for everyone to share.
We give generously to Charity.... cash and time !
We gather round and exchange stories and family news, how I love that, never forgetting the Reason for it all.
We have a pretend Tree and the decorations are over 40years old now plus what the grandchildren have recently made!

Sounds perfect! Although I like our xmas, I must admit I'd love a xmas like that.:)
We do all the usual stuff of games, films etc and although the tree is quite new we do have some decorations of a sililar age to yours.
Hmmm! Guess that blows out my theory about not being under any pressure at xmas.

I write or phone many old friends and make a huge effort to keep in touch.
It's a wonderful time of year for that reason alone - and great that it comes in the winter!

I know cool eh! Imagine xmas in the sun in Australia or somewhere - it just wouldn't feel right would it? Salad and a walk on the beach in a bikini.:confused

obiron
01-Nov-06, 12:50
this year been working out my sums and my youngest wants 3 things which will cost £105. looking for stuff for my oldest now got the man u top he wanted. now he wants scotland top. got most of my other shopping i need. i stick to adults £15-20 and the kids £5-10 this works out fine for me. think i only need 4 vouchers and then its just my lot.
me and the hubby dont spend much on each other. usually its a cd/dvd and a tin o celebrations for him and 2 cd/dvds for me .
ideally i would like a new phone been hinting about a motorola v3 (put it up to hint again) or an i-pod.:lol:

krieve
01-Nov-06, 13:14
Wbb what are you doing bring up the C word... It's only the 1st of november....It's far to early to be worrying about Christmas , I have 3 birthdays this week to get past lol. actually this year i have stared my Christmas shopping which is not like me, I can usually be seen at 2mins before the shops close on Christmas eve trying to get the last of my presents. [lol] I don't really have a set amount just really what we can afford.:D

Whitewater
01-Nov-06, 13:28
We spend far too much at Christmas, and have done since we were married sometime in the distant past. The children have now grown up and married, plus the grand children, all extra presents. The circle gets bigger slowly, but having said that, its a time of the year we all love. Christmas day is always a great occasion with all the family around, both young and old, sometimes as many as 20 round the tables (we alternate dinner each year between ourselves and sister in law). Nice pressies to open, good food, good wine and pleanty of good malt whisky to sip throughout the day. It's a wonderful time.

We never take out loans, just spend as much as we can afford.

As usual looking forward to this Christmas, will probably be smaller this year as one of the family is going to the inlaws, it is their turn, but we will them have them for New Year.

paris
01-Nov-06, 14:19
[quote]

Well I ain't a ruddy liar! Paris can probably confirm xmas at our house. lol.
We spend what we can afford. We never borrow and we never get in debt to do it, if it came to the point where we caouldn't afford to do it, we wouldn't. We don't feel pressure at xmas to have to spend what we do and theres actually quite alot of people out there that spend a whole heap more.

Sounds perfect! Although I like our xmas, I must admit I'd love a xmas like that.:)
We do all the usual stuff of games, films etc and although the tree is quite new we do have some decorations of a sililar age to yours.
Hmmm! Guess that blows out my theory about not being under any pressure at xmas.

I know cool eh! Imagine xmas in the sun in Australia or somewhere - it just wouldn't feel right would it? Salad and a walk on the beach in a bikini.:confused

Yes i can confirm PP house at Xmas is a bit like santa's grotto,,,, and there is no expense spared ! They do have the best of what they can afford and i might add share what they have aswell. They have invited us up for Xmas but im afraid this year we are staying put..... but thanks anyway PP. jan x

squidge
01-Nov-06, 15:19
Im with you porshie - I spend what i can afford IM usually skint in January but hey its only a month.

I love christmas - I had one christmas without the kids and sulked all week - It took me til March to get over it but my parents are coming over from France this year the boys are with me, the Bruce's parents are coming too and some friends in the evening so altho there will be a hint of disappointment in the days leading up to Xmas I am hoping for a great great day again

MGB1979
01-Nov-06, 15:46
I find you can save a fortune at Christmas if you start thinking early and are receptive to the inevitable hints. Folk appreciate getting something unspectacular they really need rather than some pricey tat they don't really want. This obviously only works on adults.

Unfortunately pickings are extra slim this year so Tiny Tim's getting no more than a clip round the ear, and he'll be thankful too.

angela5
01-Nov-06, 15:54
The dreaded 'c' word :eek:
Feel sorry for a lot of parents put under pressure by their kids wanting all the expensive gadgets. I spend what i can afford and would'nt take on any debt for just one day.
Anyone notice that the new ps3 due for release in march is around £600.:eek:

krieve
01-Nov-06, 16:02
The dreaded 'c' word
Feel sorry for a lot of parents put under pressure by their kids wanting all the expensive gadgets. I spend what i can afford and would'nt take on any debt for just one day.

£600 :eek: omg

henry20
01-Nov-06, 16:58
I spend WAY too much and every year I say I'm cutting back, but end up spending more :roll:

Never mind, I'm going to spend less this year ;)

I can't wait for Xmas once I have kids, but that won't be for a while yet.

Billy Boy
01-Nov-06, 17:09
The dreaded 'c' word :eek:

i say i say i say £600 lol and how much for the games on top of that..omg

Kingetter
01-Nov-06, 17:12
I spend WAY too much and every year I say I'm cutting back, but end up spending more :roll:

Never mind, I'm going to spend less this year ;)

I can't wait for Xmas once I have kids, but that won't be for a while yet.

Why not try some reverse psychology - say you're going to spend more this year? See if you do.

the charlatans
01-Nov-06, 17:15
What do you want for Christmas this year Willowbankbear?

I normally spend about £40 on my niece/nephew and £20 on everyone else, £50 on hubby and the dog gets a new frisbee.

But this year i've got baby Charlatans and i'm not working so i've had my Christmas present early and the dog can whistle......

sharon
01-Nov-06, 17:17
Every year i say i am cutting back but never manage to with 4 kids my christmas bill is well over £1000, i sometimes get the highstreet vouchers but didnt this year and boy am i glad with the hamper company going bust.......havent thought about it yet kids are aready starting their list, they wanting new laptops, mobile phones, but my youngest want nothing!!! so easy to please but i think santa may just give her baby annabels pram and cot.:Razz

henry20
01-Nov-06, 17:19
and the dog can whistle......

Your dog can whistle? Thats amazing! Mine just whines :lol:

katarina
01-Nov-06, 17:23
We only spend what we can afford to spend and have never, ever got out a loan to pay for it.
When the girls were younger we probably spent about £300 on each of them but thats because they're happy with cheap stuff at that age, now we probably tend to spend more along the lines of £500 each - but seem to get less for our money Hmmmmm!

Well call me a bad mother, but I never spent as much as £300.00 each on my children at christmas! And I still don't - nowhere near. In fact this year I am going to buy them all a goat, which will go to a family in the third world. (alternative gift)

the charlatans
01-Nov-06, 17:25
:lol: Doggy Charlatans is very talented Henry20.

Last night he went out guising dressed up as the wolf from little red riding hood and whistling was his party trick. He came home with the three little pigs, billy goat gruff and little bo peeps sheep, and a few bonios.

its all he's got now as he's not getting his usual 'new ball, new frisbee and new chewy bones' from Pet Smart for Christmas. If you see a wee black dog sitting outside the new store whistling the tune of 'money money money', have pity on him.
:lol:

henry20
01-Nov-06, 18:16
If I do, I'll be sure to buy him a frisbee :D

aileenmac
01-Nov-06, 18:33
I love giving at Christmas and I still make up stockingsfor my two 'children' (aged 24 & 19!) They still love them! As we are not working as we used to we will only be able to give what we can afford this year, but I will be happy just us all being together.

Ricco
01-Nov-06, 20:34
I don't have any kids so I love to spoil my neices. We have cured the excessive gifts to friends and family by going for that Oxfam Unwrapped thing. Great idea - those in need benefit, the friends and family get a nice card from Oxfam explaining where their 'gift' will be going.

willowbankbear
01-Nov-06, 20:51
What do you want for Christmas this year Willowbankbear?

I normally spend about £40 on my niece/nephew and £20 on everyone else, £50 on hubby and the dog gets a new frisbee.

But this year i've got baby Charlatans and i'm not working so i've had my Christmas present early and the dog can whistle......

You mean what would I like? Well, Christina Aguillera for a start,Just gear for fishing off the boat. Not much really, what about you?

caithness import
01-Nov-06, 21:35
You mean what would I like? Well, Christina Aguillera for a start,Just gear for fishing off the boat. Not much really, what about you?

Stuff for me to go fishing off me boat wi the bear. The charlatans to give the bear stuff for fishin off a boat that I can pinch when I lose all ma stuff on the weed.

Kelly Mellua for when I've lost all of mine and the bears fishing tackle.

And I'll give the wife a few quid to everyone elses prezzies

henry20
02-Nov-06, 09:16
I love giving at Christmas and I still make up stockingsfor my two 'children' (aged 24 & 19!) They still love them! As we are not working as we used to we will only be able to give what we can afford this year, but I will be happy just us all being together.

My Mum still gives us a stocking and our husbands! She's got no grandkids to spoil!!Enough reason not to have kids if you ask me!! :lol:

My sisters, their husbands and my husband are all in their 30's and I'm 26, but we're all big kids at heart! I hate to think what my folks spend on Xmas. :eek:

angela5
02-Nov-06, 10:27
i say i say i say £600 lol and how much for the games on top of that..omg

Real steep eh? How many parents are going to give into the demand of their wee darlings and pay that amount. £55 per game.:eek:

Ann
02-Nov-06, 10:32
I usually send my mam a xmas card. I often give family and friends wee presents as tokens of friendship, some of us don't have to wait for a religious festival to show our appreciation of other people.

That's one more than me! Seriously, I like your sentiments.

Ann
02-Nov-06, 10:42
Well call me a bad mother, but I never spent as much as £300.00 each on my children at christmas! And I still don't - nowhere near. In fact this year I am going to buy them all a goat, which will go to a family in the third world. (alternative gift)

My Mother and Father got a cow from my daughter last year! You should have seen the look on Mother's face; I think she thought she would have to keep it in the back garden! :lol:

martin macdonald
02-Nov-06, 19:03
i spend zero. last year i said to friends and family" i am not sending cards nor giving presents". i was sick to the ears of all the hipe etc.
the strange thing was, all of us agreed it was just a question of who would make the suggestion first. :Razz we all had a great xmas. no pressure phew! same this year.

henry20
06-Nov-06, 12:14
I have just realised why I spend so much on Xmas - its not what I buy for others, its all the stuff I see for myself. This year I am economising and just emailing my sister a 'wish list' each time I find something I like :D Hopefully she'll pass the ideas on to the rest of the family and I'll get all the things that I want like :)

cuddlepop
06-Nov-06, 16:45
One of the best christmas buying sprees we've had was when we bought loads of presents in the £1 shop.we bought loads of silly wee presents that expressed a bit about that person.It was fun,which is what christmas to us is about.:) Kids have christmas 24/7 now and have lost the appreciation of a gift.:~( no matter how cheap it is.