PDA

View Full Version : Postal Scam

tip top
01-Nov-06, 09:16
Got this in an email - don't know if it has been posted before.

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail.
The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or
ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at www.icstis.org.uk (http://www.icstis.org.uk/)

paris
01-Nov-06, 09:34
WOW ! thanks for the warning Tiptop, me being gullible would of phoned it had i received it. jan x

DrSzin
01-Nov-06, 11:57
Could people please do some checks before posting spammed emails of this type? It only takes a few seconds on Google.

Most of these things are hoaxes and cause unnecessary concern. Indeed, I think this is the first apparently-genuine one I've ever seen on this forum. Look here (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp) for a summary.

The Snopes web page states that access to the advertised 090 number was removed on December 29, 2005. Note, however, that it was last updated on April 8, 2006.

tip top
01-Nov-06, 12:04
Ah wise words from the doc.

I did check this on the ICSTIS web site before posting - here's the info:

This is what we know about the number you entered (09066611911).

We have the following information about this number.

This is a card posted through your letter box from PDS Parcel Delivery suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and to call the premium rate number in question. This service costs £1.50 per minute from BT landlines (Higher rates may apply if the call is made through a different phone network).
This service is under investigation by ICSTIS.We also have contact details for the company that provides this service. If you have any queries about it, please get in touch with them to find out more.

Studio Telecom
studiotelecom@gmail.com
1 Mapp Street
Belize
Belize City
Central America

danc1ngwitch
01-Nov-06, 19:01
people suck sometimes... thank you 4 the tip