PDA

View Full Version : Energy Companies.....be alert.

poppett
20-Jan-12, 14:55
Phone callers and doorsteppers trying to save you money on energy bills. Be aware that now many of the companies who offer what appears to be savings on fuel, once they entice you on board say the direct debit will have to be substantially more than first agreed to ensure first year bill(s) are covered. When you decide to stay with existing provider they say there is a monsterous cancellation charge. Also new companies have a tie in to a contract for 12, 18 or 24 months.

Please don`t get caught out, and don`t make rash decision you may regret.

They are canny too setting up the direct debit as until they take first payment it doesn`t show as being live to your bank account. Once they have the first payment you are tied into the contract time and the cancellation fees, so you are unable to cancel the first payment, far too cunning for my likeing.

Kodiak
20-Jan-12, 16:11
I would never even contemplate signing up for anything at the door let alone over the telephone. Even if I did I couldn't as I do not have the facility to pay for anything by Direct Debit.

poppett
20-Jan-12, 16:40
I like to see paperwork before I agree to anything, and am very happy with my energy supplier, however I know a number of folks who have been caught out with this recent push to transfer customers and thought it worth warning others.