PDA

View Full Version : Immigrants wrongly paid benefits

teddybear1873
20-Jan-12, 02:22
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/immigrants-wrongly-paid-benefits-005803530.html

I'm big on fair is fair. I am a UK Citizen who paid to come to the USA. I don't know out of the top of my head how much it cost me, but it was well over 3000 quid and I still haven't naturalized. I can't get my head round how immigrants come into our country and get paid benefits (tax paying money)

I don't get diddly from the US government, and I don't intend or want any, unless I become a US Citizen, then things change for me. I think it is absolutely scandalous that the UK tax payer have to pay these people who come to our country.

Why can't we just deport these people who are here illegally?

TAFKAL
20-Jan-12, 11:46
Illegal immigrants can't claim benefits, only legal ones can.

Nick Noble
20-Jan-12, 11:59
A very interesting blog on this matter here (http://notthetreasuryview.blogspot.com/2012/01/migrants-benefits-and-public-services.html)

katarina
20-Jan-12, 14:27
Why should immigrants get any money even if they are legal? Why should they be allowed to come unless they have a job and enough to keep them for a year in case they lose that job? They have paid nothing into the system. And illegal imigrants are claiming benifits - illegally, but they slip through the net. Watch that program on benifit cheats. No wonder our country is in the mess it is. If the government doesn't act now - we are going to end up with anarchy. Hard working people and those who genuinely cannot get a job are fed up with this nanny state.

Nick Noble
20-Jan-12, 14:34
If someone comes to this country and works they also pay taxes, and NI contributions. That being the case they do pay into the system and should then be allowed the benefits to which they are entitled.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-12, 15:11
Oh here we go again its always the same old story lets blame it all on the immigrants and migrant workers if it werent for them this country would be in a far better state than its ever been. All the perfectly law abiding upstanding would never claim a benefit wrongly citizens are being downtrodden by these foreigners. Lets put up the barricades and make Britain just for the British..............................yeh right !!!! Where would some of our establishments be that need these workers as we cannot produce them ourselves ?

'migrants impose less than proportionate costs on the state'.

Of course the above statement which can be found in Nicks blog link will never make headline news will it sheesh :roll: !!

Its so hard being married to someone from another country who comes over here works his rear off everyday because he wants to, pays his taxes without complaint adapts to our ways and yet will never be accepted in this society his words not mine. My husband once told me that he feels he has to give 150% in his job just to be accepted on a level plain as British colleagues who may or may not have the same work ethos as him.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-12, 15:14
Theres a good saying

Its the minority who spoil it for the majority

I believe that, and it goes for everything right down to the bleeding foreigners who come over here and milk the system the same as many of our own milk the system.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-12, 15:20
Why should immigrants get any money even if they are legal?

Why because we are a caring, humane, society that's why.

The system is in place in this country to care for people. If they are entitled to claim then who are we to stop them. The system we have in place may be flawed that's why its then its up to the government to address it and tighten it.

squidge
20-Jan-12, 15:44
Here is an article about the same thing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16643677 which points out some of the more positive things that Alice mentions. IT also says that some of these people may be british citizens and therefore entitled. It goes on to say that there are about 125 people who may not have a right to benefits and will need to be examined.

Still you only need mention immigrants and benefits in the same breath for people to start muttering darkly!

Bazeye
20-Jan-12, 15:48
[QUOTE=Nick Noble;921816]If someone comes to this country and works they also pay taxes, and NI contributions. That being the case they do pay into the system and should then be allowed the benefits to which they are entitled.[/QUOTE

What, like the Romanian woman who's selling the Big Issue and can therefore claim housing benefits etc because some numpty decided that she was now self employed.

squidge
20-Jan-12, 17:18
which one Bazeye?

Rheghead
20-Jan-12, 18:25
It doesn't seem a lot to get in a big fuss about, 5000 out of 371,000? So 1.3% are scamming us, so what? Yes, go after them but it is not enough to get all anti-immigrant over it which I'm sure one or two political parties would like.

Phill
20-Jan-12, 18:56
Why can't we just deport these people who are here illegally? That's generally what happens.
.......... because some numpty decided that she was now self employed.So it's the system that appears to be at odds, not the migrants. Generally it seems to be OK to be a benefit cheat as long as yer white!

shazzap
20-Jan-12, 19:10
That's generally what happens. So it's the system that appears to be at odds, not the migrants. Generally it seems to be OK to be a benefit cheat as long as yer white!

Phil, some immigrants, are white.

david
20-Jan-12, 19:14
If someone comes to this country and works they also pay taxes, and NI contributions. That being the case they do pay into the system and should then be allowed the benefits to which they are entitled.

Been paying taxes and NI contributions for 24 years-my benefit entitlement is zero!

George Brims
20-Jan-12, 21:50
I don't get diddly from the US government, and I don't intend or want any, unless I become a US Citizen, then things change for me.
If you've been paying your proper deductions, and you stay more than 10 years, then you will be eligible for US pension benefits (confusingly called Social Security in the US). Citizenship is NOT required, though you have to be here legally. Those benefits (the amount depends on how much you were paid and how many years you contributed) will be payable to you wherever you live, even if you move back to the UK. You have to wait until age 67 (for men) until you get your full benefits, or lesser amounts if you ask to have it sooner. You would also be entitled to disability payments if you can't work.