PDA

View Full Version : The Ethics of Voluntary Human Extinction

Rheghead
31-Oct-06, 23:43
I have been surfing the internet out of boredom and I came across VHEMT (http://www.vhemt.org) which is a movement of people who selflessly want to persuade us to stop reproducing and having babies because they think the world would be better off without any humans on the planet. This 'society' is not a mickey-take, they are serious.

So, I know this may be impossible for some of you, but have a look at their website, read what they have to say about themselves, keep an open mind, and post back on here and discuss them.

Personally, I see their logic but I daren't say so to the missus...:Razz

golach
31-Oct-06, 23:57
I have been surfing the internet out of boredom and I came across VHEMT (http://www.vhemt.org) which is a movement of people who selflessly want to persuade us to stop reproducing and having babies because they think the world would be better off without any humans on the planet. This 'society' is not a mickey-take, they are serious.

So, I know this may be impossible for some of you, but have a look at their website, read what they have to say about themselves, keep an open mind, and post back on here and discuss them.

If I had known this 43 years ago I might have been a richer man, but where would my Grandaughters have come from then [lol]

Kenn
01-Nov-06, 02:33
With the various threats that the human race is facing and the forcast that several million will die in the poorer countries over the next few years, largely due to the fact that their governments are in denial about HIV/Aids and the fact that the birth rate is declining in The Western World..just WHAT are they advocating?
Not to mention the effects of climate change, which again will hit the poorest nations first.
Where do these people come from and what is their arguement? I have serious reservations about what I would call "The Lunatic Fringe."
China has had a policy of only 1 child for several years now but still their population increases so that hasn't worked either.
I do worry as to what sort of world my grandchildren will inherit, it will certainly be a poorer place uinless we give up our selfish attitudes.
The world belongs to all of us, we should cherish it. protect it and make sure that it is there for our descendents.

DrSzin
01-Nov-06, 02:52
Hmm... It's the sort of self-indulgent pseudo-intellectual crap I post on here when I'm bored and desperately trying to be funny but failing miserably. But these silly sods have produced a whole movement out of it. :roll:

But I've seen worse. Hast Du FW?

canuck
01-Nov-06, 03:41

Well I gave it a read. And guess what, this group cites religion as the cause of over population!

I didn't read beyond the first page so I haven't figured out if the people involved have children of their own. I suspect that they do not. My experience of becoming a parent was one that really helped me to better connect with the planet. Whether it was the responsibility of being a mother or the fact of a parent-child relationship (as opposed to the child-parent relationship with my own parents) I don't know, but there came to me a heightened sense of human purpose, of place, in the order of nature.

But Rheghead, I am not going to try to talk you out of this if it is something you want to pursue.

Rheghead
01-Nov-06, 10:48
Well I gave it a read. And guess what, this group cites religion as the cause of over population!

I didn't read beyond the first page so I haven't figured out if the people involved have children of their own. I suspect that they do not. My experience of becoming a parent was one that really helped me to better connect with the planet. Whether it was the responsibility of being a mother or the fact of a parent-child relationship (as opposed to the child-parent relationship with my own parents) I don't know, but there came to me a heightened sense of human purpose, of place, in the order of nature.

But Rheghead, I am not going to try to talk you out of this if it is something you want to pursue.

I think you have failed to grasp their point that the Earth was able to thrive and recover after various extinctions yet now that humans are here, the world is unable to spring back. The Earth is set to die with humans rather than live on after them.

Yes, religion is probably a factor in over population, 'Go forth and multiply' springs to mind, do you think God fearing folk will ignore the advice of God?

canuck
01-Nov-06, 14:24
I think you have failed to grasp their point that the Earth was able to thrive and recover after various extinctions yet now that humans are here, the world is unable to spring back. The Earth is set to die with humans rather than live on after them.

Yes, religion is probably a factor in over population, 'Go forth and multiply' springs to mind, do you think God fearing folk will ignore the advice of God?

I thought that the issue around human presence had to do with a sense of being outside of the natural order rather than one with it. My point was that parenting gave one a sense of being part of the order and thus a greater concern for maintaining a survivable balance.

I don't want to start a quotation match, but I can assure you that faithful, God fearing folk are the most concerned people on the face of the planet when it comes to anything affecting the survival of creation. The multiply issue was to produce thinking caregivers, not exploiters and wasteful, irresponsible hoarders of the earth's resources.

Rheghead
01-Nov-06, 14:28
God fearing folk are the most concerned people on the face of the planet when it comes to anything affecting the survival of creation.

George W Bush et al being a classic example...:roll:

canuck
01-Nov-06, 14:43
George W Bush et al being a classic example...:roll:

Two issues here:
1) I didn't say "all"
2) I must be kind and not question other people's definition of God fearing. The thread on org changes has reminded me of the need to be tolerant of other people's opinions.

porshiepoo
01-Nov-06, 14:44
Oh Dear!!!!!! Don't know what to say really! I didn't read the whole thing but still...........

I thought this thread was about human euthanasia, how wrong could I be? and yet so right. :eek:

It's absolute tosh! Not esactly a realsistic out look on life in general and the whole meaning of the word 'life' eh?

danc1ngwitch
01-Nov-06, 15:17
one thing i have got is an open mind and iv always said the world would be a better place wea out us lol.. i am of ta look at the web site

Ricco
01-Nov-06, 20:38

I had to laugh at this, Canuck. I guess they are a poor bunch of eunuchs who possess no sex drive and therefore think that religion is the blame for people having babies! What a sad lot! Personally, I'm behind the LJOTE cult based in the islands of Norway - their solution will be much quicker than just not having babies. ;)

danc1ngwitch
02-Nov-06, 15:33
guess this old world would be a better place wea out us...lol

Rheghead
03-Nov-06, 19:54
Here is an article from the Newscientist which is written independently of the VHEMT which discusses that the disappearance of the human race overnight is not quite a bad thing. It would certainly render jabberwocky's fish stocks back to healthy numbers...

A World without humans (http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19225731.100-imagine-earth-without-people.html)

percy toboggan
03-Nov-06, 20:03
Oh Dear!!!!!! Don't know what to say really! I didn't read the whole thing but still...........

I thought this thread was about human euthanasia, how wrong could I be? ?

About as wrong as that!
I'd have thought the term 'human extinction' would have been a clue :roll:
Never mind, we all mess up from time to time. And I should know:~(

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Nov-06, 23:24
Here is an article from the Newscientist which is written independently of the VHEMT which discusses that the disappearance of the human race overnight is not quite a bad thing. It would certainly render jabberwocky's fish stocks back to healthy numbers...

A World without humans (http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19225731.100-imagine-earth-without-people.html)

Jabberwockys fish stocks.Now this does ring a bell.We humans think that we rule the world,but we don't.Douglas Adams thought it was the white mice that ran the world.He was so close.

Its goldfish.They swim in their bowls looking at us going about our business,as they do theirs.Then the minute the fish fancy a wee bit o' hanky-panky a human comes up to their bowl and looks in for a few hours.

The fish think,"Ye think its gonnae happen wi that face lookin in"