PDA

View Full Version : Did you miss Wikipedia?

secrets in symmetry
19-Jan-12, 22:19
Did you miss Wikipedia during its self-imposed 24 hour shutdown yesterday?

I did. I was surprised how often I missed its "probably correct" explanations, definitions and information.

golach
19-Jan-12, 22:26
Nope, I never missed it at all, found the correct answers thatI was looking for the old fashioned way.

secrets in symmetry
19-Jan-12, 22:30
What is your old-fashioned way, golach?

golach
19-Jan-12, 22:35
Nope, I never missed it at all, found the correct answers thatI was looking for the old fashioned way.

The before the days of Wikipedia method, scrolling through the answers.

Bazeye
19-Jan-12, 22:37
No, just asked the wife. She knows everything.

secrets in symmetry
19-Jan-12, 22:39
The before the days of Wikipedia method, scrolling through the answers.The "answers" from a Google search?

Kodiak
19-Jan-12, 23:42
I always thought the real "Old Fashioned" way was to go to a Library and do some "Old Fashioned" Research using Books.

Phill
19-Jan-12, 23:57
I missed Peter Dow (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?167486-Satirical-video-quot-Devo-Max.-No-to-separation-quot)!
:)

pumkin
20-Jan-12, 01:04
Did you miss Wikipedia during its self-imposed 24 hour shutdown yesterday?

I did. I was surprised how often I missed its "probably correct" explanations, definitions and information.

I didn't realise they had a shutdown until today, therefore I never missed it. Wikipedia is a great thing, I normally use it to read about people I'm interested in, their biographies & such like. Make no mistake about it, it's explanations are "probably correct" but only a fool would live by it.

It's everyday people such as yourself, SIS (aka TIT), that contribute to articles within that site. Thinking that the information your typing is "probably correct" & then your ego bursts thinking your better than me, members of the org & everybody else for that matter.

What information were you looking for? The fact that the Sun is getting larger & closer to earth perhaps?

ducati
20-Jan-12, 01:14
No, I knew everything I needed to today, I almost never use it anyway.

RecQuery
20-Jan-12, 13:39
It wasn't a proper block there were about 5 alternative ways to access content, which lead to me cringing at people calling themselves 'hackers' for using one of those ways.

gingernut
20-Jan-12, 15:25
I didn't realise they had a shutdown until today, therefore I never missed it. Wikipedia is a great thing, I normally use it to read about people I'm interested in, their biographies & such like. Make no mistake about it, it's explanations are "probably correct" but only a fool would live by it.

It's everyday people such as yourself, SIS (aka TIT), that contribute to articles within that site. Thinking that the information your typing is "probably correct" & then your ego bursts thinking your better than me, members of the org & everybody else for that matter.

What information were you looking for? The fact that the Sun is getting larger & closer to earth perhaps?

LMAO :lol:

achingale
20-Jan-12, 16:18
I missed it, but my children missed it more for homework!

teddybear1873
20-Jan-12, 16:43
When someone adds a page on Wikipedia, where do the editors check it for validity?

brandy
20-Jan-12, 17:37
i did! was looking up babe ruth! and said aha wiki! but no! so had to find a page with his biography on it instead **G**

Corrie 3
20-Jan-12, 17:39
When someone adds a page on Wikipedia, where do the editors check it for validity?
If it's from S-i-S (aka T-i-T ) they don't check it because they know whatever he writes will be correct as you would expect from one so perfect!!!!
Now if it's his sock puppet writing then yes it will be checked because Rheghead isn't so perfect as S-i-S (aka as T-i-T) and sometimes struggles to keep up with S-i-S (aka T-i-T)!!
It must be sooooo nice to be perfect in every way possible!!!!

C3............:eek::roll:;)

Mystical Potato Head
20-Jan-12, 18:34
Never even knew it was down for the day,shows how much i use it but then i'm not one of the scientific
Zig and Zag double act.

pumkin
20-Jan-12, 21:13
If it's from S-i-S (aka T-i-T ) they don't check it because they know whatever he writes will be correct as you would expect from one so perfect!!!!
Now if it's his sock puppet writing then yes it will be checked because Rheghead isn't so perfect as S-i-S (aka as T-i-T) and sometimes struggles to keep up with S-i-S (aka T-i-T)!!
It must be sooooo nice to be perfect in every way possible!!!!

C3...........

I'm am, literally, laughing my T-i-T's off!:lol:

secrets in symmetry
21-Jan-12, 00:18
It wasn't a proper block there were about 5 alternative ways to access content, which lead to me cringing at people calling themselves 'hackers' for using one of those ways.I wasn't desperate to access Wikipedia, so I didn't investigate further.

As a matter of interest, what were the alternatives?