PDA

View Full Version : Wick location query

Dusty
31-Oct-06, 22:44
Can anyone tell me where Oal's Close was/is in Wick?
I have an 1897 death in my Family History and the place of death is given as Oal's Close but I can't find it on any of the maps I've consulted.

martin macdonald
31-Oct-06, 22:47
is it not oags close:roll:?

Dusty
31-Oct-06, 22:57
I thought it might have been Oag's Close but I'm fairly certain that it was Oal's Close.
That's not to say that the registrar misheard or the person who gave me the info misread it of course.
Oag's Close was the closest (no pun intended) match I could find on the map.

trinkie
02-Nov-06, 10:02
Hallo Dusty,

I have never heard of Oals.... This might well be a case of bad hand-writing.
However, if you look at the top of the Genealogy page - a Thread by Bill Fernie, giving various address, I suggest you ask either Highland Archives at the top of the list or Caithness Family History Socy and the end of the list.
Good luck,
Trinkie

Dusty
02-Nov-06, 13:28
Thanks for that Trinkie, I'll follow up on those leads

Dusty.

Dusty
18-Nov-06, 15:18
I've been informed that Oal's Close ran from the north side of Louisburgh Street opposite Oag's Lane but was substantially lost during re-development of the area.
I've had a look at some old maps and Admiralty Charts and although it's not marked as Oal's Close, there is definitely the remains of a thoroughfare running north from Louisburgh Street in that position.
I'm told that today, the remnant is the access to the side door of a private property.
Thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions...much appreciated.
Dusty.