PDA

View Full Version : Ship Captains' Egos

David Banks
19-Jan-12, 18:00
We (probably all of us) have egos that we "show off" at some time or another (how fast can we drive from Thurso to Castletown?).

I remember, many years ago, a ship's captain from Dunnet took "his" large passenger ship into Brough bay east of Dunnet head. We could see the enormous ship easily from Scarfskerry pier. There were ooh's and aah's, and we all knew the captain's name - although I cannot remember it now.

Then, there was the time the Brittania came close to shore near the Castle of Mey when "someone" was in residence - this show of bravado was for the locals to see.

So, I am not really surprised by the recent actions of that Italian cruise liner's captain.

Any other memories of ships close to shore ?

golach
19-Jan-12, 18:24
This is a very sweeping statement, I was at sea for a few years, and was always glad when the Captain managed to get close to shore, especially if it was a port renowned for a good run ashore [lol]

gleeber
19-Jan-12, 18:30
The captains name was captain MacEnzie. He used to take the ship into Thurso bay too. It was one of the first big tankers. He never hit any rocks though and neither did the Brittania.

golach
19-Jan-12, 18:39
The captains name was captain MacEnzie. He used to take the ship into Thurso bay too. It was one of the first big tankers. He never hit any rocks though and neither did the Brittania.

Was Captain McKenzie the Harbourmaster at Scrabster?

gleeber
19-Jan-12, 18:48
I dont think so Golach although it may have been the same macEnzies.

pumkin
19-Jan-12, 21:25
Aye, ye see them down at the boating pond with their fancy wee rowing boats & all the bairns running up wanting to jump on. Painted bright colours with bright stickers & such like.

What some folk will do for attention.

GLENELG
19-Jan-12, 22:32
Was Captain McKenzie the Harbourmaster at Scrabster? No, but Captain Mckenzie's son owned the licenced grocers on the main street in Thurso which is still run by his wife and son i think.

Phill
20-Jan-12, 00:22
Then, there was the time the Brittania came close to shore near the Castle of Mey when "someone" was in residence - this show of bravado was for the locals to see.
Wasn't that actually a few miles out and with a very specific reason, as in the "someone" was actually quite a lot of "someone's" and they were doing stuff.

ducati
20-Jan-12, 01:26
I keep sayin' if you take the words "Watch This" out of the language, the world would be a safer place!

George Brims
20-Jan-12, 21:57
Our cruise captain when we went to Alaska took us *really* close to the Hubbard Glacier. He apparently has a reputation for taking his ship further in than the other cruise captains. Was thinking about that in relation to the disaster in Italy. The attached picture shows how close we were - it's with my camera zoomed to the *widest* view. 11741

peter macdonald
21-Jan-12, 00:02
The Captain Mackenzie mentioned had a tremendous reputation and an unblemished record in wartime and in peace..He also had the job of taking any new builds away on first trip or trial