PDA

View Full Version : Halloween madness

Kenn
31-Oct-06, 20:45
Having had a few Trick or Treaters of the young persuasion at the door, all beuatifully dressed up and supervised by two adults I must admit to passing out a few treats despite abhoring this mixed up imported custom.
I magine my horror when a few minutes later as they climbed the hill behind the house I heard the shout of "Trick" and two foreworks were thrown at them.These were 3 to 5 year olds.
Fortunately no one was hurt but what should have been a piece of innocent fun has left these children very frightened and distressed.
Need I say more!

cuddlepop
31-Oct-06, 20:49
Just back from walking the dog or should i say running.Someone wee bliter let off a firework and away my poor doggy went.The wee kids scattered and everyone screamed.Not impressed.[evil]
Hope there's no more but I doubt it.5th of November seems to start mid October.The co op are even selling them buy one get one free.[disgust]

porshiepoo
31-Oct-06, 20:52
Luckily we don't get them. No one dare walk the dark lane that leads to the house, besides we leave the dogs loose on this night. lol

emszxr
31-Oct-06, 21:13
im lucky i live in the middle of no where, so we dont get fireworks, my collie hates them

cuddlepop
31-Oct-06, 21:16
Thinking of buying mine ear muffs:lol: Emszxr!

Mr P Cannop
31-Oct-06, 21:20
Just back from walking the dog or should i say running.Someone wee bliter let off a firework and away my poor doggy went.The wee kids scattered and everyone screamed.Not impressed.[evil]
Hope there's no more but I doubt it.5th of November seems to start mid October.The co op are even selling them buy one get one free.[disgust]

is that the small co-op in spring park ??

brandy
31-Oct-06, 21:22
we had a really good night tonight. took the kids out at 6 got back at 7 there were 3 adults.. and 4 kids.. aged 2-4
my 3 year old.. had a blast!
his poor little arms were having a hard time carrying his bag but he was having none of it .. when we offered to carry it for him.. he did let us co-carry it eventually!! *G*

cuddlepop
31-Oct-06, 21:31
Mr Cannop,its over on Skye.:eek:

Fraser Macleod
31-Oct-06, 21:43
im suprised fireworks are not yet banned, with some of the ridcoulous restirctions that the goverment imposes these days

emszxr
31-Oct-06, 21:55
i a bad mummy as i wouldnt even take my 2 year old out as i wouldnt let her eat the sweets. i would have to eat them for her :lol:

kani
31-Oct-06, 22:21
Our son and 4 other chums, accompanied by 3 adults have just had a great time in thrumster village, I think he's got a couple of carrier bags worth of goodies

brandy
31-Oct-06, 22:25
im trying to get my two to settle
one has but the two year old is wound tighter than a spring!
hes in bed but i hear him bouncing!!
please go to bed mummy wants to go!
and i need to get off the polish thread !
im gonna dream about it!

mccaugm
01-Nov-06, 12:13
Having had a few Trick or Treaters of the young persuasion at the door, all beuatifully dressed up and supervised by two adults I must admit to passing out a few treats despite abhoring this mixed up imported custom.
I magine my horror when a few minutes later as they climbed the hill behind the house I heard the shout of "Trick" and two foreworks were thrown at them.These were 3 to 5 year olds.
Fortunately no one was hurt but what should have been a piece of innocent fun has left these children very frightened and distressed.
Need I say more!

I was not aware "guising" as it should be called was an imported custom. I went guising as a child not trick or treating up until I was about 11 or 12.

peedie
01-Nov-06, 12:21
i was out last night for halloween in aberdeen not guising, nearly every pub had something on fantastic costumes and everyone enjoyed themselves i didnt see any trouble so it all went well here, didnt get any ppl round (and i did have sweets and apples at the ready) which was a shame! but i s'pose living in a flat its different? anyways lots of chocolate for me now !! [lol]

DrSzin
01-Nov-06, 12:57
I was not aware "guising" as it should be called was an imported custom.That's because guising isn't imported - it's home-grown Scottish.

From Rampant Scotland (http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_halloween.htm):

In Modern Times
By the end of the 19th century Hallowe'en had become very much a festival for children. Dressing up and going "guising" is a tradition which has lasted to the present day. The original idea was to dress as spirits of the dead but options have widened over the years. When money was tight, dressing up in some old clothes from grandparents was all that was required. But witches (with broomsticks, cloaks and pointed black hats) have always been popular, with blackened faces harping back to the pagan days when the Druids may have smeared their faces with ash from their bonfires. Long before "trick or treat" children went round the houses and had to perform a poem or a song or tell jokes before receiving nuts, apples, sweets (candies). In recent years, concern about child safety has reduced the amount of "guising" and the children who do go out seem to think they should get something without having to do a "party piece".

The American "Trick or Treat" is the imported version. Guising was popular in Thurso in the 60s & 70s; I'd never heard of trick-or-treating until I moved to the States in the 80s.

JAWS
01-Nov-06, 15:48
Oh Dear, Dr S, I think you will find the People of Pendle in Lancashire would dispute that matters concerning Hallowe'en started in Scotland.

http://www.lancasterukonline.net/visitors/v-tour/lancashire_witches.htm

In Lancashire we called it "Mischief Night" and, if I remember rightly, there was no thought of blackmailing people into giving you a "Treat" to escape, nobody was going to get off that lightly. (OK, so we were just plain evil :lol: )

The mischief was mainly harmless (or should have been) minor things and nothing which would cause damage.

Going up Pendle Hill in search of witches and ghosts (Souls) is a long standing tradition going back centuries.

The origin lie in the Celtic Festival of Samhain (Celtic - Summer) which was to mark the end of the Harvest and the start of the Celtic New Year on the First of November. The Romans later incorporated their Pagan celebration of the passing of the dead, which occured in late October.

The whole thing is a corruption of a Pagan Festival from the time when Christianity failed to stamp out the old ways and simply put a Christian Spin on it.

On All Hallows (Old English - Bless or Consectate) Eve, the Souls of the dead were released from Pergatory to walk the Earth for 48 hours. In the times of serious superstitions you can imagine the effect that would have on people.

The nearest Scottish Link was with a certain King James, who, possibly as a result of his childhood education, could see witches anywhere and everywhere.
It was to satisfy the poor chaps delusions that the "Witches' Scene" was inserted into the "Scottish Play".

These Scots really do need an eye kept on them or they'll try and claim anything which comes anywhere near them!
No wonder Hadrian built a wall or they would claim they ran the Roman Empire. :Razz

Happy New Year to all you Wiccans out there!

mccaugm
01-Nov-06, 15:53
That's because guising isn't imported - it's home-grown Scottish.

From Rampant Scotland (http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_halloween.htm):

In Modern Times
By the end of the 19th century Hallowe'en had become very much a festival for children. Dressing up and going "guising" is a tradition which has lasted to the present day. The original idea was to dress as spirits of the dead but options have widened over the years. When money was tight, dressing up in some old clothes from grandparents was all that was required. But witches (with broomsticks, cloaks and pointed black hats) have always been popular, with blackened faces harping back to the pagan days when the Druids may have smeared their faces with ash from their bonfires. Long before "trick or treat" children went round the houses and had to perform a poem or a song or tell jokes before receiving nuts, apples, sweets (candies). In recent years, concern about child safety has reduced the amount of "guising" and the children who do go out seem to think they should get something without having to do a "party piece".

The American "Trick or Treat" is the imported version. Guising was popular in Thurso in the 60s & 70s; I'd never heard of trick-or-treating until I moved to the States in the 80s.

Thank you for your clarification of my earlier point.:Razz

krieve
01-Nov-06, 16:15
im lucky i live in the middle of no where, so we dont get fireworks, my collie hates them
My dog usually hates the fireworks and tries to hide from them...but this year she seems to like the fireworks. :eek:

DrSzin
01-Nov-06, 16:30
Thank you for your clarification of my earlier point.:RazzYou're welcome. :)

Oh Dear, Dr S, I think you will find the People of Pendle in Lancashire would dispute that matters concerning Hallowe'en started in Scotland.
JAWS, why have you flown off on a tangent? You're the last person I'd expect to try to rubbish a claim I most definitely didn't (or wouldn't) make. You're slipping old chap...

Furthermore, neither your link nor the text you quoted are about the Scottish tradition of guising. From what you wrote, "Mischief Night" sounds more akin to "Trick or Treat". Traditional guising doesn't involve any element of trickery.

sharon
01-Nov-06, 17:05
:~( last year my then 2 year old was so scared she climbed out of the cot 4 times head first..... she was so good at going to bed she used to go to bed at 7pm now we are lucky if shes goes before 11pm and thats a year on.

and the dog runs around the house barking, i get so mad when people are still putting them off at after 10pm as the kids are in bed and they go on for about 4-5 nights sometimes, some people dont have any consideration for there neighbours with young families or pets.

i do like watching the fireworks but at organised events. :roll:

katarina
01-Nov-06, 17:19
When we went guising we had to perform a song or a poem, then we got our 'treat' The equivelant to 'trick' was called kick-ee-doorie, which did not, as the name implies, stop at kicking doors. All sorts of tricks were put down to just plain devilment, and it happened the night before halloween, so no one escaped.
So why have we changed the name to 'trick or treat?' Have we got to follow America in everything?

Cattach
01-Nov-06, 17:32
When we went guising we had to perform a song or a poem, then we got our 'treat' The equivelant to 'trick' was called kick-ee-doorie, which did not, as the name implies, stop at kicking doors. All sorts of tricks were put down to just plain devilment, and it happened the night before halloween, so no one escaped.
So why have we changed the name to 'trick or treat?' Have we got to follow America in everything?

I have lived in many places throughout Scotland and around also Caithness and only came across kick-ee-doorie night in the Wick area. Seems to me like an excuse for annoyance and damage and certainly in my time in Wick while there might have been some innocent fun there was a hell of a lot of pure badness.

the charlatans
01-Nov-06, 17:34
Correct me here, but wasn't 'kick e doorie' night the night before halloween? i don't remember it being the same night. but i do remember the Hillhead primary teachers telling us in no uncertain terms that if we were caught doing it we were well in for it.

of course i was a good girl and i never took part in it. ;)
willowbankbear did, he was a right rotter when he was little. mamabear despaired.....

danc1ngwitch
01-Nov-06, 18:45
Tap door run was always fun, but there was never any hurt or harm in it ( unless u picked a door that contained a mad-man Lol ).
i think tho that these days children have to much money to purchase fireworks etc...

Sporran
01-Nov-06, 21:34
Wikipedia has some interesting information on Halloween and its origins, including how it's celebrated in a few different parts of the world. It's quite a lengthy article. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween) Enjoy!:cool:

funky-dunky
01-Nov-06, 22:30
no paul its the one down the street as the small co op does not sell fireworks.

i hope no one got hurt after these fireworks.

i dont know if su1 metioned this but sum 15 or 16 year olds can pass for an 18 year old and do stupid things with them.
why do some mums buy these things and give them to thier kids anyway?
I am pregnant with twins and i can asure you when my twins get older they wont be holding anything apart from a sparkler as long as am thier. the only way they will get to see a firework is if they go to bonfire or fireworks display or the babys dad lights them.
Who agrees with this????

Saxo01
01-Nov-06, 22:36
Wish everybody was as sensible as you, Unfortunately its the same every year animals hurt or at the least distressed, Mail boxes ruined by fireworks etc canna see it changing for a while tho :(

lauraspetportraits
01-Nov-06, 23:32
I was just reading in the P&J about a poor cat (in Edinburgh) that had fireworks taped to it then lit, poor thing was terrified, burnt and covered in tape, makes me so bloody mad [evil] , i'd like to get hold of the people that did it and do the same to them - wouldn't be so bloody funny then would it??

About the trick or treaters the few we had were really sweet and dressed up really nicely, the first lot scared me half to death, they crept up the driveway and stood looking in the window at us without knocking the door, I looked up from eating my tea and there were 3 little skeletons looking in the window at me :eek:. I gave them sweeties though, so they had no excuse to do any tricking!!

Laura
--x--

golach
01-Nov-06, 23:41
I was just reading in the P&J about a poor cat (in Edinburgh) that had fireworks taped to it then lit, poor thing was terrified, burnt and covered in tape, makes me so bloody mad , i'd like to get hold of the people that did it and do the same to them - wouldn't be so bloody funny then would it??

About the trick or treaters the few we had were really sweet and dressed up really nicely, the first lot scared me half to death, they crept up the driveway and stood looking in the window at us without knocking the door, I looked up from eating my tea and there were 3 little skeletons looking in the window at me :eek:. I gave them sweeties though, so they had no excuse to do any tricking!!

Laura
--x--
And the little towrag, is out, pending bail[evil]

Kenn
01-Nov-06, 23:50
I just checked the link you posted Sporran and then cross referenced the above.I had to chuckle.
Allantide is a name that would not be recognised by most Cornish although it was an old form of Harvest Festival that like so many pagan things got hidden amongst the Christian Festivals. It was the apple festival when we finished clearing the trees and set the cider to ferment and like all country folk we always enjoyed a good party.
Hallow 'een is an altogether different thing, it's the night when spirits can cross into our world and the faerie folk are abroad I can't find or remember the old Cornish name for it but we had alot of customs that went with it.
Some of these customs may amuse you, a saucer of cream left outside the door and a pat of butter in the dairy and the milking parlour.This to prevent the faeries making your cows run dry and the cheese not set. Also to placate the cat who was the familar, often called Greymalkin.
The lanterns with the grotesque faces made from magels were placed in the windows to scare away the boccas and the spriggins.
Doors sealed with a hair taken from a virgin.
Peeling fruit and tossing the peel over your left shoulder if you were unmarried, the peel should land in the form of a letter that would start the name of the man you would marry.
A piece of iron nailed to the door.
Every one in bed before the stroke of midnight.
These are just some that I readily remember.

This is the prayer for the night.

From ghoulies and ghasties an' long leggety beasties an' things that go bump in the night may our god protect us.

Bobinovich
02-Nov-06, 00:03
Taking our two (4 & 6 y.o.) kids out last night, along with another 5 who are of primary school age, I must admit to feeling that those in high school are really getting to the point of being a bit old for it all.

I'm sure some might disagree, but we actually ran into more high schoolers than those of primary school age. From what we (and Mrs Bob back at the homestead) saw & heard, very few of the older ones were doing any jokes, etc. and were just expecting to get their sweets for doing nothing other than (in some cases) dressing up in their school uniform!

I will admit to being a miserly so and so at the start of the night though. A group of 5 kids arrived prior to us setting off, and I answered the door. There were two older teenage lassies and 3 lads of around 9 - 10. I asked "Trick or Treat?" to which I got back 5 blank stares, so I simplifed it to "OK has anyone got a joke?". One of the young lads told a joke which was actually too rude to repeat to the adults in front of the children in the sitting room! However as he had tried I gave him one of our pre-made packages. None of the others offered anything so I sent them on their way [evil] !!

Mrs Bob was mortified and shoo'd me out of the door with the kids lest I answer it to anybody else!!!

Thankfully we didn't get egged! :D

young_fishin_neep
02-Nov-06, 00:06
did you not aprove off mine and lisas efforts? we took all day to think off that and do it all lol. and we even cooked then dinner lol. the kids were great and so cute aswell lol

kaz xxx

Bobinovich
02-Nov-06, 00:12
Kaz - you and Lisa did gr8. I was talking about the hoards of other teenagers roaming around who put next to no effort into their outfits, did very little in the way of "trick or treats" but still expected to have their goodie bags like all the little ones who really did put the effort in (even if it was with parental help!).

young_fishin_neep
02-Nov-06, 00:19
i know what u mean. but thats some kids for ya. me an lisa just did it for e crack we got realy bored lol. hope you didnt get to cold last night anyone who went out, i was freeing when i went out !

kaz xxx

JAWS
02-Nov-06, 01:10
You're welcome. :)

JAWS, why have you flown off on a tangent? You're the last person I'd expect to try to rubbish a claim I most definitely didn't (or wouldn't) make. You're slipping old chap...

Furthermore, neither your link nor the text you quoted are about the Scottish tradition of guising. From what you wrote, "Mischief Night" sounds more akin to "Trick or Treat". Traditional guising doesn't involve any element of trickery.My apologies, I really must study Scottish Traditions more closely. Once again my attempts to start the next Anglo-Scots Wars have come to nought.

Ah well, I'll just have to take heed of a good bit of old Lancashire advice and "Go in and shut my door!" I were gooin t' say "mi gob" but tha might not get th' meanin' o' that.

Can't help it, I'm English! [lol] Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!