PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treat!!!

danc1ngwitch
31-Oct-06, 20:39
Wow !!! just got back in from the whole Trick or Treating and its so cold... Now I wanna cry as i gotta clean up ma 2 youngest face's LoL.. To the ones who open doors and welcome the wee monsters a big thank you... to the ones who opened the doors and said ( what u want ) then closed doors etc. etc.. well thank you too, what would we do wea out people like you..LoL. Nature takes its coarse and oh how mean people can be.... Kids had fun dispite the cold...

mama2
31-Oct-06, 20:54
I'm also just back from trick or treating in Castletown and lucky for you that they actually opened the door!! Many just didn't bother.

paris
31-Oct-06, 21:00
I brought a bargain bucket of sweets for the kids who come to my house, made up 10 bags with 20 or so packets in each but only 2 kids have come.....neighbour told me its cos i haven't got a pumpkin in the window. Oh well i suppose i will have to eat them all now,,,,,what a shame ! On my 3rd bag and feel quite unwell already ha ha ha ha . jan :lol: x

unicorn
31-Oct-06, 21:01
I think it's really sad not to give the kids (that make an effort) anything on a night as cold as tonight. Sadly I only saw about 25 kids lots of sweets left here.

Piglet
31-Oct-06, 21:15
I only seen 10 kids tonight but it was so cold i think most of us were all out at the same time - when it was dry. :D

I still have loads of bags left over but i dare say it will last my 3 til xmas now. lol

MadPict
31-Oct-06, 21:32
...to the ones who opened the doors and said ( what u want ) then closed doors etc. etc.. well thank you too, what would we do wea out people like you..

Maybe they feel that what the kids are doing is nothing short of doorstep blackmail? With extra police being drafted into many areas to cover this year and many old people sitting in the dark with doors locked one has to question fun of the practice.

My local constabulary has actually produced a poster (http://www.cambs.police.uk/images/newsitem/download/tricktreat.pdf) for residents to put in their windows - a good idea and hopefully the gangs of kids will respect this wish to not take part in the yearly rampage of extortion....

Dreadnought
01-Nov-06, 00:28
Maybe they feel that what the kids are doing is nothing short of doorstep blackmail? With extra police being drafted into many areas to cover this year and many old people sitting in the dark with doors locked one has to question fun of the practice.

My local constabulary has actually produced a poster (http://www.cambs.police.uk/images/newsitem/download/tricktreat.pdf)for residents to put in their windows - a good idea and hopefully the gangs of kids will respect this wish to not take part in the yearly rampage of extortion....

Quite right. I don't remember anyone going 'trick or treating' (or as I call it, doorstep begging) on Hallowe'en when I was a kid (through the 60s and 70s). It seems to be another recent crass import from the US, to match baseball caps and junk food, and designed to be a money spinner. But like all imports from there it has been usurped by the mindless here. We get damage done to cars, eggs thrown at non-participants homes, rubbish stuffed through letterboxes etc. etc. If trick oir treating was outlawed I would not miss it one little bit.

oldmarine
01-Nov-06, 00:37
Wow !!! just got back in from the whole Trick or Treating and its so cold... Now I wanna cry as i gotta clean up ma 2 youngest face's LoL.. To the ones who open doors and welcome the wee monsters a big thank you... to the ones who opened the doors and said ( what u want ) then closed doors etc. etc.. well thank you too, what would we do wea out people like you..LoL. Nature takes its coarse and oh how mean people can be.... Kids had fun dispite the cold...

I remember years ago when I had to go through that situation with my children. Now it's my grandchildren but that's not my responsibility. I leave it to their parents to handle. I live in a gated facility for senior citizens and probably won't see too much of that, but will still miss it all the same. We still have a few hours to go here in Tucson, Arizona, USA as it's only 16:37 here. Our time will soon be here.

Malcolmdog
01-Nov-06, 01:09
I was an avid Halloween treat dispenser.

UNTIL>>> year after year we had a run of children with bad manners, rude behaviour and no respect for the property of others. I was tolerant - figured the children were over exhuberant, the weather was too cold etc.

The last straw was a few years ago. After "serving" many children, none of which was able to utter a simple "thank-you" - but many were able to say "finally you answered the door - we have many houses do visit." I was apologizing all over the place - I didn't realize Halloween was an Olympic timed event - sorry.

One child, in front of both parents had the nerve to ask me "Why our treats were so cheap?" I had given him 6 chocolate bars and a can of soda!! The parents stood there grinning like fools! I dumped the whole lot into his pillow case, and asked him if he was happy now?? they were speechless. I put out the porch light ( thankfully they made it down the stairs without falling and suing me)and have never "shelled out" since.

I give candy to the children of friends, which I deliver to their homes, and that is the end of it for me.

Really, how much abuse is someone supposed to take from those under 4' tall??

Fran
01-Nov-06, 01:15
I only had three kids at the door which was a shame as I had my mask on and lots of treats to give out. Have lots left, I haven't eaten them all, so will give them to kids I know tomorrow. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/F/0/215p.gif (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/talking_preview.jhtml?i=F/0/215&partner=ZSzeb075_ZN)http://imgfarm.com/images/smileycentral/imbuddy/hear_me_talk.gif (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/talking_preview.jhtml?i=F/0/215&partner=ZN)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZN (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZN&utm_id=7922)

Big Jean
01-Nov-06, 05:29
We had about 70 children come to shell out tonight and I have to say every one said thank you. Some came in groups of 7 or 8 and you heard thank you over and over again. They were all well behaved and polite. I don't know about other areas but the parents of these children can be very proud . It hasn't always been like this, so this was nice to see - and hear .

newpark
01-Nov-06, 09:22
I also had the werewolf, the witch and the ghoul at the door, they were so polite and my wee one started crying at the warewolf and without me needing to ask he took his mask off to show my wee one he was only a boy and she was then delighted. I had a few but loads of sweets left over will do me tongiht for watching tv lol.

golach
01-Nov-06, 10:29
Never saw or heard a single Guiser .....I refuse to call it Trick or Treat, Guising has been a traditional Scottish Custom for centurys. Gusing did not contain a threat of a trick, Guisers knocked on doors and politely asked "Anything for the Guisers?" Then they had to perform for a gift of money or sweets. Halloween is a Celtic Pagan festival celebrating the end of Summer and the coming of the new Winter, and its Neeps no Pumpkins that we use in Scotland.

Sheeze what will they do to the tradition on Hogmanay, is that going to be the next one to be Americanised?
Phew I feel better after that rant [lol]

peedie
01-Nov-06, 12:16
i was never a trick or treater i always went Guising and i also had to do a turn before we got anything, or you could got the apple that u manage to dook for etc, didnt just knock on doors!!!!!

Woolie
01-Nov-06, 12:17
My son went trick or treating and i would like to say thank on his behalf to all the lovely peeps who made him welcome and gave him sweets thank u all so very much by the way he was dressed as a ;)knight

porshiepoo
01-Nov-06, 12:28
I always went trick or treating but I have to admit to being left feeling quite ashamed over the last couple of days.
When I was doing it (18 years ago) we used to have tricks at the ready. I've learnt that up here it's usually a joke or something but we used to throw the egg at a person or throw flour. I know you don't need to say it!
We never vandalised houses with it and we were never nasty with it and we never ever did it to older people (I know, no excuse) but we honestly didn't think we were doing anything wrong.
The worst of it is that when my kids said they were doing it this year I automatically told them to take the eggs and flour :( , they were mortified - luckily! They ended up not going anyway but it seems my kids are now teaching me a thing or two.

Ashamed of myself is an understatement! :~(

sharon
01-Nov-06, 12:31
i was surprised at the amount of kids on the go i made up 30 bags of sweets and ran out..... lucky for the kids i had a big bag of lollys to give them, [lol]

danc1ngwitch
01-Nov-06, 18:51
Im sat crying as I have a whole big bag of treats left that I sat and bagged up individually for the children. Must have made up about 50 bags and have only seen 5! :( Maybe some will come out tomorrow night if the weathers better! I love seeing them all dressed up! Was that your three little darlings danc1ingwitch........the werewolf, the witch and the ghoul??? Theyre lovely kids! You put a lot of effort into dressing them up they were lovely! :D

Yep, Yep, and Yeppers !!! They were so cold and still i kept remindin them to say thank you..lol... thank you for the kind words.x

danc1ngwitch
01-Nov-06, 18:57
I also had the werewolf, the witch and the ghoul at the door, they were so polite and my wee one started crying at the warewolf and without me needing to ask he took his mask off to show my wee one he was only a boy and she was then delighted. I had a few but loads of sweets left over will do me tongiht for watching tv lol.

Wow thank you, We went to a few more house's just the reg's and then straight home lol... I have shown ma children these kind words they are happy that thier manners were recognized..again thank you x

_Ju_
01-Nov-06, 19:57
I had a great time with my lil'un at home opening the door and dispensing candy and juice, untill..... some idiotic 13/14 year olds came by. They made a grab for the candy with no thank you, were rude after getting the sweets and after I closed the door, poured mayonaise onto my car and the next door neighbours front door. Next years I'll just visit friends and swap treats with them.[evil]