PDA

View Full Version : jobs

bilbobaggins
18-Jan-12, 16:36
Iam looking for a job and am not having any success I did work at mm millers for 6 month iam 19 years old if any one has room for me to work please pm mi thanks billy

david
18-Jan-12, 18:15
Iam looking for a job and am not having any success I did work at mm millers for 6 month iam 19 years old if any one has room for me to work please pm mi thanks billy

Good luck-you'll need it. I've been looking for months and applied for loads of jobs-most of the employers advertising don't even bother to reply back. Sign of the times I guess!

Alrock
18-Jan-12, 19:35
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/291/9/1/welcome_by_dual_shock.gif
To the club

Just wish the Jobcentre would wake up & smell the coffee, with unemployment at a 17 year high they still seem to think the only reason anybody is unemployed is because that they are work shy fops / dole scum & that there is a job out there for everyone if only they tried a bit harder.

Gronnuck
18-Jan-12, 19:56
Surely you don't expect the Job Centre to help you find a job do you? In my experience the staff ask inane questions, fill out reams of paperwork and fob you off for about six months after which they they might, just might send you on a "training" course to re-write your CV. They should have been closed down years ago.

Corrie 3
18-Jan-12, 20:00
C'mon Boys....think Big!!
Get a one way ticket to London, put yourself about a bit and you will surely find a job in a matter of days!!
Failing that, get on a ferry and end up in Germany, they have plenty of work!
But if you are waiting here at home for a job to come to your doorstep then you are going to be disappointed!!!
There is no work in Caithness and never will be, you have to move away and see some of the world and how others live, you will be amazed!!
Good luck to all of you, I had to do the same some 40 years ago and nothing has changed!!

C3.................:eek::roll:;)

teddybear1873
18-Jan-12, 20:12
I would say It's extremely tough to find a job in Caithness, even for the experienced worker. Very little opportunity for the younger generation. If you want to find a job in Caithness, my advice is to talk to many people as you can, walk into shops,factory's,offices. Make sure you update your CV, get references etc.

Good luck on the job hunt. It's hard out there, but be determined and you will get something in return.

chocolatechip
18-Jan-12, 20:25
I'm unemployed and it's so tough!! I understand totalay where everyone is coming from!! The jobless number has gone up yet again!! It's gone uo 1.6 million people on JOBSEEKERS ALLOWANCE!! I have handed out CVs and asked people if there is any jobs going an they always say leave your details and we'll be in touch but they never do!! Yes I do find there is always loads of paper work to do in the job center but I suppose it's got to be done!!!

pumkin
18-Jan-12, 20:41
I feel that C3 is right on this one, there's no opportunity here in Caithness, & I very much doubt that there is going to be any opportunity in the future.

In saying that, much of Scotland is pretty much the same, with the exception of Glasgow. Glasgow is thriving at the moment, especially with the Commonwealth Games just around the corner.

bilbobaggins, I feel for you here, but if your luck doesn't improve soon, maybe you should look further afield.

All the best in your job quest!

david
18-Jan-12, 22:15
At the risk of sounding anti English-which I'm not, I am amazed at how many local folk are overlooked in favour of our friends from South of the border. Take our local Posties for example-not one of them are from Caithness or even Scotland. Now that can't be right can it? Or have Caithnessians got a bad rep?

starfish
18-Jan-12, 22:27
At the risk of sounding anti English-which I'm not, I am amazed at how many local folk are overlooked in favour of our friends from South of the border. Take our local Posties for example-not one of them are from Caithness or even Scotland. Now that can't be right can it? Or have Caithnessians got a bad rep? its the same for everyone english or scottish there just is not the jobs.I over heard 2 girls talking both went to uni got into debt now working part time in tesco . they studied to be a teacher and a nurse if they is no jobs at the end of they uni course why encourage the youngsters to go to uni . I know they can use it later in live but they were really dis hearten.its the same down south as well

theone
18-Jan-12, 22:32
At the risk of sounding anti English-which I'm not, I am amazed at how many local folk are overlooked in favour of our friends from South of the border. Take our local Posties for example-not one of them are from Caithness or even Scotland.

Most of the posties in Thurso are local born. All of them live local. Where they grew up is irrelevant.

pumkin
18-Jan-12, 22:33
It's all about experience starfish. Employers want experience. But then, how on earth can young folk gain experience if employers are unwilling to take them on?

These girls you speak of who went to uni & are now working part time due to not finding work in their field is not an uncommon story. I spoke to an elderly woman during the summer who told me that her grandson studied to be an archaeoligist. After graduating, the guy could'nt get any work. He's now working part time in a call center to pay off his student debt.

It's sad...

theone
18-Jan-12, 22:34
.......................... if they is no jobs at the end of they uni course why encourage the youngsters to go to uni .................

Because if they're not at uni they'd be unemployed and adding to the jobless figure.

Politicians love education schemes to keep the unemployment figures down, even if it only works in the short term.

pumkin
18-Jan-12, 22:39
Because if they're not at uni they'd be unemployed and adding to the jobless figure.

Politicians love education schemes to keep the unemployment figures down, even if it only works in the short term.

This about sums it up. If kids aren't at uni, then lecturers are unemployed. If kids aren't at uni, then there's no uni debts.

Only rich people succeed in uni, I don't mean only rich people graduate, I mean only rich people come out of uni with no or little debt.

david
18-Jan-12, 22:42
Most of the posties in Thurso are local born. All of them live local. Where they grew up is irrelevant.

Quite, where they grew up is irrelevant, but as you say the Thurso posties were born local and live local, the posties we have weren't local born. About 10 years ago all the posties that worked around here were locals, now there are none for some reason.

MrChow
18-Jan-12, 22:53
I know how you're feeling Billy.

I've got a job but absolutely hate it. Only reason I haven't quit yet is because there is not a lot else to do up here.

C3 probably has the right idea. Often thought that I might have a better chance down in Glasgow or further a field. It's a scary thought moving away though, especially when you don't know what to do.

bilbobaggins
19-Jan-12, 02:21
Yes it would be scary moving from a small town in to a busy city it doing my head in as I want to work but I can't as no jobs I hand every thing I got out and they look at it and set it aside and forget about it I tried the army can't as got asma I probley couldn't get off side as I have asma and fail the medical its just sad man I'm trying my best but its a waste of my time

Aaldtimer
19-Jan-12, 04:38
bilbo, if you hand out "everything you got" out in the same fashion as you post here then I'm not surprised that is the reaction that you get. Try punctuation and spelling correctly!

Trajan
19-Jan-12, 11:07
Have yee tried ringing norscot, heard they were taking on some men, a few weeks back, be advised they were looking for poles, work ethic me thinks,

mi16
19-Jan-12, 11:22
Why dont you offer to work for a company unpaid in order to gain some vital experience in the working life.
If you are lucky enough to get a break then its head down bum up all day long, be keen and respectful to your boss' and maybe you would get a shout at a job.
You havent mentioned what you want to do, what your previous experience is and what qualifications you have.

gerry4
19-Jan-12, 11:50
The one place which is still booming and has one of the best employment rates in the UK is Aberdeen. With the continuing investment in the oil it will be booming for years to come. I would much prefer living there than Glasgow. Parts of Glasgow have the highest poverty & unemployment rates in the UK

mi16
19-Jan-12, 12:31
this is true gerry, I drive up and down there every week.
Most oil industry firms are after experience though

ducati
19-Jan-12, 12:37
If we have a group of young keen unemployed people in Caithness, try this; Get together a few of you and have a look at the skills/talents that you have and can pool, also any resources like transport, computers, tools etc.

See if you can identify a needed service that you can offer locally or further afield. I'm sure you will find local business people who would be willing to advise (for free) on setting up a small business or co-op or just a group of self employed individuals.

gerry4
19-Jan-12, 12:53
when we had our shop in Tomintoul, our suppliers in Aberdeen could not get good staff. They did not want experience just someone with at least half a brain. Youngster there seemed to have a choice of jobs and so would not stay long.

mi16
19-Jan-12, 13:06
you do not need to be a star to shine in Aberdeen, bust most firms require oil industry experience

changilass
19-Jan-12, 13:09
If you are willing to move further afield, I know the scottish prison service are still taking folks on.

mi16
19-Jan-12, 13:24
one thing is for sure, work will not come and find you.
Get your CV written properly, get a suit, decent shoes and a shirt ands tie then get out there knocking on doors.
Caithness is probably the wrong place to be looking these days also.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
19-Jan-12, 14:53
Yes as someone that is offering a Modern Apprenticeship at the moment the CV is crucial - if anyone wants any tips or pointers as to what an employer is looking for in an application letter / form or CV please don't hesitate to get in touch!!

bekisman
19-Jan-12, 15:21
Whoops, my mistake - seems you've had asthma and would have be disqualifed from the Forces.. sorry about that...

david
19-Jan-12, 16:09
I'm being serious, but have you considered The Forces?, not sure if you have family responsibility or not, but give 'em a ring in Inverness: Tel: 01463 231 520.
It's not as dangerous as you may think; me and my three sons have / had over 60 years service and in spite of serving in all the Active Service areas none of us was injured - although Tim (just coming out after 22 years) was known as 'mortar magnet' in Iraq, Afghanistan..

I'm sure there's ex-squaddies on here who would advise
Full details here:

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/21357.aspx (http://www.army.mod.uk/join/21357.aspx)

Think the OP has a problem with asthma if you read-or are able to read his posts through!

Tilly Teckel
19-Jan-12, 16:28
If you'd like someone to check through the spelling and punctuation on your CV feel free to get in touch with me. I'm a proofreader and would be willing to help you without charge. Things really are tough these days, but keep on trying!

spaceshipone
19-Jan-12, 17:19
i go to the jobcentre and its just a waste of time, but keep your eyes peeled, theres always something somewhere

Carole
19-Jan-12, 17:24
Yes as someone that is offering a Modern Apprenticeship at the moment the CV is crucial - if anyone wants any tips or pointers as to what an employer is looking for in an application letter / form or CV please don't hesitate to get in touch!!

It was great to see your post elsewhere looking for applications for the Modern Apprenticeship - but sad to note that you are looking for someone with experience.

Hopefully there will be other employers following in your footsteps and giving the youngsters a start with this scheme. Good luck.

bekisman
19-Jan-12, 17:42
Think the OP has a problem with asthma if you read-or are able to read his posts through!
Ah I see - "I tried the army can't as got asma" 'fraid not read through all the posts - thanks David for pointing it out to me (I'm sure you didn't mean if 'I' can read!).. narrows his options down quite a bit...

david
19-Jan-12, 17:53
Ah I see - "I tried the army can't as got asma" 'fraid not read through all the posts - thanks David for pointing it out to me (I'm sure you didn't mean if 'I' can read!).. narrows his options down quite a bit...

Correct-I think the OP could do with sharpening up his writing skills. At least he was willing to try the forces.

Sandra_B
19-Jan-12, 19:23
There's a job centre in Thurso?

Bazeye
19-Jan-12, 23:02
Bae in Barrow are taking on apprentices in September. Only thing is, you'd have to move here. Another thing, on any CV, put down that you'll donate your first weeks pay to a charity of their choice, you may be surprised. Good luck.

Sgitheanach
19-Jan-12, 23:21
Sent u a pm with a number for a job that won't be advertised

bilbobaggins
20-Jan-12, 05:23
Correct-I think the OP could do with sharpening up his writing skills. At least he was willing to try the forces.sorry abot spelling not my problem am dislexric and I can't spell or that I did try my best

rob murray
20-Jan-12, 15:21
check out Numax advert in vacancies as we now offer an accelerated training programme targted at unemployed people 18 pkus c 13 weeks unemployed. This is a genuine training opportunity.

Carole
20-Jan-12, 18:43
sorry abot spelling not my problem am dislexric and I can't spell or that I did try my best

For someone with dyslexia, your spelling is not that bad so please don't be downhearted. Unlike many, you know where to put an apostrophe too.

Have you thought about approaching the Adult Education folks to brush up your writing skills? You may find it will help you obtain work - the courses are free and they are geared to the individual needs of the clients.

Sgitheanach
26-Jan-12, 10:15
Good luck at your new job