PDA

View Full Version : Rumster rally

snowgoose
31-Oct-06, 19:52
Ok does anyone know who used to be in charge of organising the anual rumster forset rally?and if so is there any way to contact them ? Im only asking because im gonna try and get it up and running again so post your thought about it , good or not here please lets get it running again.

Cheers

Snowgoose

Kirdon
31-Oct-06, 20:14
Rumster Hill climb as it was called was organised by the Caithness Car Club

MadPict
31-Oct-06, 20:20
Aaah, fond memories of Rumster Hill Climb. The cars, the noise, the rain....

Somewhere in my slide boxes are pics taken at Rumster. Great time....

snowgoose
31-Oct-06, 20:35
so how many of us caithness'ers would like to see this come back into action because i definatly would its great.

motopitcrew
31-Oct-06, 21:09
rumpster hill climb the memories have any of you been up thair reicently the road would need a lot of work before you could race thair

snowgoose
31-Oct-06, 21:37
yeah i was up there the other day but as long as 4 x 4's are used its easily done

MadPict
31-Oct-06, 22:00
I take it you're not talking about the tarmac access road that used to go up to the transmitter mast then?

JonHend
31-Oct-06, 22:40
I think the hillclimb had ended due to the deteriorating state of the road that was used. The trees along the road have been stripped away in recent years and the heavy machinery used has further deteriorated the already aging road.

I have fond memories of Rumster as both my parents were very much involved in the running of it during the eighties when I was a kid. My Mum was involved in the time keeping and my Dad was the Head Marshal for a few years.

What I don't miss about the hillclimb is the midges!

smokey_joe
01-Nov-06, 13:06
Thats a shame the road has deteriorated so much

I would be very Interested in seeing the hill climb up and going again as i have kit car and looking for events to take part in.

MadPict
01-Nov-06, 16:48
If I get a chance (and if anyone is intersted of course) I'll see if I can dig out and scan some slides from the 70's Hillclimb events.

snowgoose
01-Nov-06, 17:28
yeah that sounds great i would love to see what it was like in the 70's

i have also emailed caithness car club asking if it would be possable with enough interest to re-start it

DrSzin
01-Nov-06, 17:41
If I get a chance (and if anyone is intersted of course) I'll see if I can dig out and scan some slides from the 70's Hillclimb events.That'd be great. I too used to enjoy watching the hill climb in the cold, the wind and the rain - and the mud too. I always seemed to be covered in the stuff by the time I got home - irrespective of the weather.

How do you scan slides anyway? I know there are several ways, but which would you recommend? I have boxes of the things from the 80s.

jimag
01-Nov-06, 19:42
Rumster was indeed a great event attended by many from all over the north as well as being supported by many champions. The event of course continues, albeit in a slightly different format, at Littleferry, Golspie.
Smokey Joe - hope you get the kit car active and look forward to seeing you at Littleferry next year.
MadPict - how about putting your slides on a CD and selling them to raise funds towards a redevelopment fund for Rumster. Andy Sutherland did this for the CCC 50th anniversary last year. Perhaps Caithness.org would help with the marketing. Either way, put me down for copies of your slides.

MadPict
01-Nov-06, 20:44
Dr,
I managed to pick up a "PrimeFilm 1800u Slide Scanner" via Jessops at half price - it does a reasonable job.
You can also get adaptors for some flatbed scanners - my CanoScan LIDE 500F has a neg holder and it is possible to scan slides but its a bit fiddley....

canuck
01-Nov-06, 20:51
I don't want to change the subject. I am all for car rallies. But can I ask a question? While we are on the subject of mud flying and making old photos digital: MadPict, what is your avatar all about?

Okay, back to the Caithness Car Club.

MadPict
01-Nov-06, 21:01
It is how not to play paintball....

check your PM...

canuck
01-Nov-06, 22:29
Thanks for the PM.

I just noticed MadPict's count. One post away from 1K orger status!

MadPict
18-Nov-06, 20:44
As promised....
May 1978
http://www.pbase.com/pixel_eye/image/70401633.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/pixel_eye/image/70401635.jpg

Want to see some more?.... (http://www.pbase.com/pixel_eye/rumster)

jings00
19-Nov-06, 00:48
Sutherland's chemist in Thurso can do copies of slides.
My brother got a scanner that scans negatives, bearpaw i think the make is. cost him bout 60snots i believe. Not sure where from though.