PDA

View Full Version : deliver charges

wicker8
18-Jan-12, 13:21
i have placed a order for a new two seater sofa,sale price 789.00.but i got a phone call saying it would be 105.00 deliver charge on top ,is this normal ?,i was going to pay it by a bankers draft now im unsure about buying it at all any one else had the same problem the sofas from dfs inverness

mi16
18-Jan-12, 13:27
only the river runs for free I am afraid.
hire a van and pick it up yourself

starfish
18-Jan-12, 13:30
i would tell them to stick it and go local i am sure you could get one for nearly a grand here its there loss they lost a sale

YummyMummy
18-Jan-12, 13:32
That is outragous. I always order online with Asda, Tesco, Argos, John Lewis, M&S, Debenhams - whose delivery charges are standard for furniture. I buy appliances from the Coop as they deliver for free.

My husband got a call the other day to advise that it would be an extra £30 for the delivery of 2 filing cabinets. When he said just to cancel the order, they immediately cut it to £15. Maybe worth a try getting back to ask if there is any negotiation (surely they deliver to the north regularly and could combine delivery with others to make it worth their while?) An extra £105 on top of an already expensive sofa is unreasonable in my opinion.

Good luck with it!

wicker8
18-Jan-12, 13:59
hi yummy mummy,i was thinking off cancelling my order,going to give them a ring and see how i get on thanks for your advise

wicker8
18-Jan-12, 14:00
hi there ,just about to ring them,see what happens from there thanks for your advice

poppett
18-Jan-12, 15:11
Even our mailorder catalogue just charges 20quid for furniture delivery. Good luck with getting a reduction. The poor quality of DFS sofas would make me buy locally.

A & D Thurso and Wick not only have a huge range in their showrooms but can order from catalogues too. My last settee and recliner + storage stool to match came from Alstons in Cumbria. Came two weeks earlier than expected and made in UK by quality craftsmen, and didn`t have to pay for delivery with an arm or a leg. Alstons also have a webpage but the furniture I wanted was cheaper through their local agent.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jan-12, 15:20
We ordered ALL our furniture for our new house around four years ago now from Reids furniture, the whole lot was delivered for £35.

Kodiak
18-Jan-12, 15:35
£789 for a two seater sofa and then and extra £105 for delivery...................Tell them where to go and buy elsewhere.

Personally I would not pay a penny more than £400 for a two seater sofa and I would would be looking for either free delivery or a maximum of £20.

As an example from Argos a nice chocolate coloured leather sofa for £279.99 and their delivery charge is only £8,95. Argos have loads of sofa's on sale right now, 50% off, and well worth a look.

mi16
18-Jan-12, 16:46
£789 for a two seater sofa and then and extra £105 for delivery...................Tell them where to go and buy elsewhere.

Personally I would not pay a penny more than £400 for a two seater sofa and I would would be looking for either free delivery or a maximum of £20.

As an example from Argos a nice chocolate coloured leather sofa for £279.99 and their delivery charge is only £8,95. Argos have loads of sofa's on sale right now, 50% off, and well worth a look.

You get what you pay for Im afraid.