PDA

View Full Version : Early reader books??

Dadie
17-Jan-12, 23:31
Im fed up with the Biff, Chip and Kipper books.
Can you reccomend something different?
A progressive reading series that will appeal to a 5 yo girl who loves being able to read her own books.
She can read level 3 on her own and level 4 with some help ..you know splitting words down like read-ing ...etc.
But some books that she can read at home and not get as a reading book at school later on would be great..school has the P1s on level 1.
She has become something of a bookworm......and cant get enough of books...she has attempted to read some really tough books I wouldnt have given her to try from the bookshelves, and, I dont want her to get scared that she cant do it.
Any suggestions that are constructive are very welcome!
Odd request I know, but, I am stuck on ideas!

Nick Noble
18-Jan-12, 10:20
Hi Dadie

Having had the same situation with 3 children so far and with 4 different schools over the years I would suggest speaking to the teachers at school and get them to give more appropriate books for a start, and get them making the extra effort to support your daughter at her reading level.

One size fits all is a good policy for teachers and bad for the children!

Other than that just look for books that you think will appeal, and don't worry about repetition later on. I've never yet met a child that finds books interesting only once. If anything repeat reading instills a great sense of confidence, and if or when they no longer appeal to the child they will just move on.

Provided you avoid the schools reading scheme there should not be too many problems.

RecQuery
18-Jan-12, 10:30
I read a lot, but have little to no experience with books for children. I do remember a discussion on a book forum mentioning http://us.dk.com/static/cs/us/11/childrens/intro.html (http://us.dk.com/static/cs/us/11/childrens/intro.html) as a good publisher

Other things mentioned were:

Dr Seuss stuff - Don't let the Pigeon stay up late! or Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!
Frog and Toad
Richard Scarey
Flat Stanley

EDIT: It's a bit US centric but http://www.arbookfind.com/UserType.aspx may be worth a look also.

Nick Noble
18-Jan-12, 10:46
Bill will be cross with me sending traffic away from this site, but for real good advice on this I would be tempted to take a look on mumsnet.com it is the sort of subject they debate endlessly

Sandra_B
18-Jan-12, 12:16
There's a site called www.thebookpeople.co.uk that have a good range of childrens books for all ages and quite reasonably priced.

newweecroft
18-Jan-12, 12:31
The letterland series, taught our now 8yr old to read on these. Plus there is a letterland magazine which provides a fun extra.

newweecroft
18-Jan-12, 12:35
Plus we still have the full set which you are welcome to borrow for 6mnths.

Kodiak
18-Jan-12, 13:25
Nip along to Tesco in Wick and there you will find lots of Suitable Books.

Dadie
18-Jan-12, 14:05
I already buy from the book people as the books are good....and cheaper than elsewhere....
Could I have a sneaky peek at the letterland books Newweecroft please.
Its not like a story book Kodiak which im willing to pick up anywhere to read to the kids..its books that she can read herself without too many difficult words in...kids story books can have some really difficult words to read in them ...

canuck
18-Jan-12, 20:38
As RQ has suggested, Richard Scarey books are fab. I think I loved them as much as my kids.
Another favourite author in our household was Robert Munch. They are Canadian, but they are available in the UK.

Bill Fernie
18-Jan-12, 22:33
I would suggest speaking to the librarian at your local library. You will get advice on children's books and they will even order up books you never knew they had in the system if needs be. Once your child goes regularly to the library she wil soon get the hang of finding books she enjoys and at her level. Best of all you can have unlimited reading FREE of charge.

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-12, 22:52
I would suggest speaking to the librarian at your local library. You will get advice on children's books and they will even order up books you never knew they had in the system if needs be. Once your child goes regularly to the library she wil soon get the hang of finding books she enjoys and at her level. Best of all you can have unlimited reading FREE of charge.I thought you were closing most of the libraries in Highland. :cool:

Dadie
18-Jan-12, 23:00
She does go to the library van when it comes, but as its done through the school I never know what she will get....so far its all (baby)board books as she chooses for Euan...
But I would love to have the reading system/series at home as with 3 kids I reckon I would get my monies worth out of the books.
Iona can read the books Lauren gets at level 1....and Euan will be following Iona hopefully in catching the reading bug!....but he needs more words yet before then...then once my kids are past them I would pass the books on to someone else!

The Happy Humanist
20-Jan-12, 19:53
Lots of good advice here:)
All 4 of mine read early and enthusiastically, but I am a now a great believer in reading tons at home and sticking with your peer group in school. One of mine shot ahead and the school supported it, but it brought its own problems. It's not much fun being the only one on a scheme or level and having no-one to join in with, mind you in smaller schools that might not apply so much as in the bigger ones... and I suppose its not much fun being bored if you don't mind working alone.
However I love, love, love the Magic Key stories, so I don't mind having been with Biff Chip and Kipper for nearly 10 years now LOL!! Eldest did Letterland in Edinburgh when we lived there and I don't think it made any real difference, just as good as Magic Key, its a personal taste thing for individual kids maybe.
Oh and Canuck, my cousins from Canada brought a pile of Munsch books over and they are great.. totally wacky, definitely get some of them if you can, Dadie.:D