PDA

View Full Version : Total heating total control

kev bev
16-Jan-12, 22:09
Does the 24 hour heating supply be charged at a cheaper rate, then the same rate as the off peak heating supply at night, how often does the off peak water supply come on and much does the offpeak water supply cost to run?

Nick Noble
16-Jan-12, 22:20
your storage heaters, water, and other fixed heaters should all be on the low rate, anything else is at the higher rate.

And unlike say economy 7 or economy 10 the lower rate only applies to those specific things. (Economy 7 you would get all you electricity at lower rate between 0000 and 0700)

Hope that makes some kind of sense, just ask again if not and I'll try to clarify.

kev bev
16-Jan-12, 22:22
your storage heaters, water, and other fixed heaters should all be on the low rate, anything else is at the higher rate.

And unlike say economy 7 or economy 10 the lower rate only applies to those specific things. (Economy 7 you would get all you electricity at lower rate between 0000 and 0700)

Hope that makes some kind of sense, just ask again if not and I'll try to clarify.

Yea i understand what you mean thanks. but does the 24 hour heating supply tariff= cheaper rate than the domestic supply rate, then when the off peak rate starts everything on including the 24 hour heating supply are all charged at the same cheaper rate is that correct aye?

Nick Noble
16-Jan-12, 22:25
(24 hour heating supply = storage heater rate = water heating rate) = cheaper rate at all times

(electric cooker = electric sockets = electric lighting) = higher rate at all times

kev bev
16-Jan-12, 22:28
(24 hour heating supply = storage heater rate = water heating rate) = cheaper rate at all times

(electric cooker = electric sockets = electric lighting) = higher rate at all times

ah ok then, so the rate of the off peak doesnt drop cheaper then at night??

Nick Noble
16-Jan-12, 22:35
correct :)

About the best description I know of for THTC is on this factsheet www.scarf.org.uk/factsheets/523.pdf

Ignore the costs, they are way out of date, but the details of how THTC works is spot on.

kev bev
16-Jan-12, 22:37
correct :)

About the best description I know of for THTC is on this factsheet www.scarf.org.uk/factsheets/523.pdf (http://www.scarf.org.uk/factsheets/523.pdf)

Ignore the costs, they are way out of date, but the details of how THTC works is spot on.

ah thanks,
i always thought the rate dropped over night for the storage heaters and that??

Liz
16-Jan-12, 23:39
ah thanks,
i always thought the rate dropped over night for the storage heaters and that??

You're on the cheap rate all the time for this so need for it to drop. :)

Kodiak
17-Jan-12, 13:08
I have THTC and I find it rather expensive. Right now I am paying about £50 a week for a 2 bedroom house and I do not have all the storage heaters on. If I did switch on all the Storage Heaters then I would not be able to buy any food. I would change it if I could but seeing that I live in a council house I have no alternative.

My advice look for something cheaper and better.

Nick Noble
17-Jan-12, 13:17
Totally agree Kodiak, I've actually stopped using the storage heaters and started using small electric heaters when and where I need them. Even with the rip off price we pay for the standard (non fixed heating) tarif I am finding it cheaper than the totally inefficient storage heaters the council provide.

It really is high time the council got a new strategy in place regarding heating for the huge number of all electric households in the highlands.

Liz
17-Jan-12, 14:00
We've had THTC for a couple of years and absolutely love it!

It has saved us a small fortune as it only costs about £25 per week (average), for a 3 bedroom house, and the heaters are on all day at the highest setting during winter months. Whereas our coal fired central heating cost in the region of £60-£100 during the really cold, and windy, weather. Also we are toasty warm day and night all through the winter which we weren't with the coal fire as the radiators would go cold when there wasn't enough coal on the fire or it was banked down for the night.

When I was researching what heating to install I was told that THTC was best as long as the house is well insulated which it is as we got new doors and windows and there is loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.

So Nick and Kodiak I'm not sure why you're finding it so expensive and inefficient to run unless the older models weren't as good or your houses aren't well insulated? Kodiak I take it £50 per week is for all your electricity so could there be somethinge else which is using a lot?
We had a faulty freezer would gobbled up electricity!

Kodiak
17-Jan-12, 14:26
We have had fitted Double Glazing and the house has been fully Isulated aas well as having a layer of exterior Insulation as well.

I only have 4 Storage Heaters, 1 in Living Room whicI have on, 1 in the Kitchen which is off, 1 in the Hall which is off, and 1 in the bathroom which is off. If I have all the storage heaters on then my weekly cost goes yp to to a minimum of £80 a week and I can not afford this on my Pension.

As it is I am paying £50 a week and sometimes it is difficult to pay that. This is just for Hot Water, Light, Cooking, TV and to keep One room warm. OK I admit I am PAYG but the Hydro now say that it costs the whether you are on PAYG or a Credit Meter. Since they stste this it must be true, like yeah.

I have no idea how you can only pay £25 a week to heat a 3 bedroom house as it costs me that for Electric during the summer when we have no heating on at all.

Liz
17-Jan-12, 14:39
Kodiak, the £25 I quoted was for heating only and is an average amount. It's difficult to give an accurate figure due to our ever changing weather. Last winter I had them on high setting all the time but, of course, when the 'better' weather arrived this went way down and sometimes off completely.
All I know is it's a lot cheaper than coal, the house is much warmer and cleaner and, of course, no standing out in the cold filling pails of coal. :)

We have two storage heaters in the kitchen (one big one small), one small one in the lobby which also heats the bedrooms as well as we leave the doors open, one in the living room and all these are always on at varying heat inputs according to the weather. We have one in the bathroom which is rarely used and then convector heaters in the bedrooms which, again, are rarely used.

We pay £160 pm by direct debit for all the electricity but on the last bill we were in credit of £250.

My neighbours also have THTC and are really happy with it.

I did see mobile heaters on Ideal World but can't remember the name. Enviro something. They seemed to work on the same principle as storage heating but you just plug them in until you get the required heating so I think they would be pretty inexpensive to run.

Crackeday
17-Jan-12, 17:49
We have had fitted Double Glazing and the house has been fully Isulated aas well as having a layer of exterior Insulation as well.

I only have 4 Storage Heaters, 1 in Living Room whicI have on, 1 in the Kitchen which is off, 1 in the Hall which is off, and 1 in the bathroom which is off. If I have all the storage heaters on then my weekly cost goes yp to to a minimum of £80 a week and I can not afford this on my Pension.

As it is I am paying £50 a week and sometimes it is difficult to pay that. This is just for Hot Water, Light, Cooking, TV and to keep One room warm. OK I admit I am PAYG but the Hydro now say that it costs the whether you are on PAYG or a Credit Meter. Since they stste this it must be true, like yeah.

I have no idea how you can only pay £25 a week to heat a 3 bedroom house as it costs me that for Electric during the summer when we have no heating on at all.
Think you need to contact the council. We had "old" storage heating and it was very expensive and they were ancient. They installed new ones on THTC and our bills halved and the house is also warm. We have 2 in the living room, 1 with fan in kitchen, 1 at foot of stairs, 1 at top of stairs and 1 in the bathroom. They are Always on at the mo and we are 50.00 a week, before the re-fit we were 80 for only 2 heaters.We do have alot of appliances running as well so thats pretty cheap,its worth giving them a call as storage heating has a "shelf life" when they become less efficient and more expensive!!

kev bev
17-Jan-12, 19:08
Think you need to contact the council. We had "old" storage heating and it was very expensive and they were ancient. They installed new ones on THTC and our bills halved and the house is also warm. We have 2 in the living room, 1 with fan in kitchen, 1 at foot of stairs, 1 at top of stairs and 1 in the bathroom. They are Always on at the mo and we are 50.00 a week, before the re-fit we were 80 for only 2 heaters.We do have alot of appliances running as well so thats pretty cheap,its worth giving them a call as storage heating has a "shelf life" when they become less efficient and more expensive!!

Can the off peak storage heaters be on alot during the day as well at the moment with the weather being cold outside? or does the hydro still switch them off early?

Liz
17-Jan-12, 19:30

I was actually wondering whether this might be case as ours is only a couple of years old. I wonder when this would need to be replaced? Hopefully, not for a long time. I was told that the fronts could be removed so that dust and fluff could be vacuumed out. Mind you with the Caithness weather we haven't been able to turn them off long enough to do this! ;(

Also contact the Hydro to make sure you're on the best tariff. We have ours on Better Plan at their recommendation and a fixed rate. Also get a discount for paying by direct debit and a small saving using paperless billing.

We saved a lot of electricity by stopping cooking in the 'big' electric cooker and using a wee halogen oven instead and hardly using the tumble dryer. Then there are the usual switching off unnecessary lighting, never leaving the telly on standby, using applicances with good energy ratings and not leaving mobile phones on charge etc. It all adds up over time.

Crackeday
18-Jan-12, 12:26
Can the off peak storage heaters be on alot during the day as well at the moment with the weather being cold outside? or does the hydro still switch them off early?
There on a "tele switch" which they switch on and off depending on the weather.It seems to be on at the right times as i cant feel the cold at the mo!!!!

Crackeday
18-Jan-12, 12:28

Plus I belieev there a scheme where as a pensioner you can get a reduction on your heating costs if you fall into "fuel poverty" not exactly sure how it works but google would know!!!

Kodiak
18-Jan-12, 13:18
Plus I belieev there a scheme where as a pensioner you can get a reduction on your heating costs if you fall into "fuel poverty" not exactly sure how it works but google would know!!!

Fuel Poverty Help

It Used to be if you spent more than 10% of your total income then you received a 20% reduction on you Electricty Costs for 2 years.

This has now stopped and what happens now is that if you are in Fuel poverty the Electric Company gives you a credit of £120 as a one off payment sometime in March. This is assessed once a year and should be applied for each year.

This is not much use as you need it when it is coldest, ie during the Winter.

Also, since I am spending an average of £2000 a Year on Electric I would have received a £400 a Year reduction, whereas now I will only get £120 sometime in March.

The cost of Electric has gone up but the Fuel Poverty Payment has gone down. I fully expect that next year it will completely abolished and there will be no Fuel Poverty payment at all.

c'est la vie