PDA

View Full Version : Weatherseal Warning

lisagrace
15-Jan-12, 22:08
Just thought I would let everyone know about a recent experience, as some of you may know weatherseal have been doing a phone sales bombardment in caithness recently. My dad who is disabled and very vulnerable had 5 phonecalls from them despite agreeing to them doing a quote during the 1st call. He let me know about this and I agreed to him getting a quote (out of interest more than anything) and said to him that I would arrange for a local company (SID roofing who I couldn't recommend highly enough!) to also do a quote. I got the shock of my life today when i visited him and he said that he had signed an agreement for them to do the work - replace 16m of guttering and 16m of fascias for wait for it £3,500! (I was recently quoted £90 to do 8m of guttering on my own house). He also paid a deposit by cheque. I immediately phoned the sales rep who agreed over the phone that he would cancel the order and replace the deposit, however when reading the contract that my dad signed it clearly states that orders must be cancelled IN WRITING within 7 days, I think this salesman is assuming that people are too dumb to read the small print. Anyway just wanted to warn people about this - definately think this company are preying on the elderly and vunerable and their prices are beyond ridiculous!
Once I ensure this order is definately cancelled I am going to get a like for like quote and contact trading standards

Neil Howie
17-Jan-12, 22:43
Be careful that they do not contact your dad again in a few weeks or months with an 'improved' offer.

I would agree their tactics are high pressure, old school sales.

I had a visit from them, flyer guy rings doorbell - "we're taking names when we're in the area will we add you to the list, then we'll get our sales team to contact you?"

Me - "uh ok" [first bad move]

Two minutes later salesman knocks on the door ! Nothing better to do, let's see what he has to say.... [second bad move]

Also, salesman makes out he is on the phone to manager for special offer - out loud - "I've NEVER SEEN US DO THIS BEFORE .... Can we go that low??!"

I look outside window, see man in car on phone, presumably his 'manager'.

I almost laughed at how fake he phone call was, but put up with the presentation for my own good. Went to kitchen and did a quick Google, 1 star on reviewcentre told me all I needed to know.

Unfortunately the visit was not the end of it, and we got phone calls for a weeks afterwards with "one off" deals, and "improved offers", e.g. "I'm the manager and I can give you a better deal than the salesman" .

But yeah, they're prices were sky high, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard about Weatherseal before (in a bad way)! Definitely one to avoid.

I sincerely hope you get things sorted out and your dad's money back.

lisagrace
17-Jan-12, 23:07
thanks for that, i have not heard back from the company directly although someone contacted me on here and says he works for them and would sort it out on my behalf but i am still waiting to get an email from weatherseal to confirm it has been cancelled.

Bill Fernie
17-Jan-12, 23:15
Well to start, I will repeat my late mothers rule she hammered into us -
"Never buy anything at the door or on the phone" -
her reasoning being you had no time to think about it and you probably never wanted whatever they are selling in the first place.

I expanded that rule to - "Never buy anything at the door on the phone by fax or email if they contact you first."
Same reasoning my mum taught me for all first contacts. If you want anything, better to research it yourself and only deal with sales persons after you are armed with information and take time to get a few quotes for anything that involves larger sums of money.

And to add to the thread as started. A few days ago I had a phone call which went along these lines and you will see my latest way to cut it short -

Phone rings
Bill - "Hello"
Sales Person " I am calling on behalf of a local company. Are you the owner or tenant of the property?
Bill "I am not prepared to answer that"
Sales Person then asked another similar question.
Bill " I am not prepared to answer that"
Sales Person hung up.
Length of call maybe 60 seconds - fastest I have got rid of them yet.
The person I spoke to was obviously trying to set up leads for a sales person to call later.

So as ever I recommend always say NO on the phone to whatever it is being sold. You will almost always save yourself trouble or money and perhaps both.

Neil Howie
17-Jan-12, 23:26
OK cheers,

best to make sure everything is in writing, do not trust them an inch, check the small print, do a google of Weatherseal or Weatherseal complaints.

lisagrace
17-Jan-12, 23:31
Weel to start I will repeat my late mothers trule she hammered into us -
"Never buy anything at the door or on the phone" -
her reasoning being you had no time to think aboutit and you probably never wantyer whatever they are selling in the first place.

I expanded that rule to - "Never buy anything at the door on the phone by fax or email if they contact you first."
Samee reasoning my mum taught me for all first contacts. If you want anything better to research it yourself and only deal with sales persons after you are armed with infomration and take times to get a few quotes for anything that involves larger sums of money.

And to add to the thread as started. A few days ago I had a phone call which went along these lines and you will see my latest way to cut it short -

Phone rings
Bill - "Hello"
Sales Person " I am calling on behalf odf a local company. Are you the owner or tenant of the property?
Bill "I am not prepared to answer that"
Sales Person then asked another similar question.
Bill " I am not prepared to answer that"
Sales Person hung up.
Length of call maybe 60 seconds - fastest I have got rid of them yet.
The person I spoke to was obviously trying to set up leads for a sales person to call later.

So as ever I recommend always say NO on the phone to whatever it is being sold. You will almost always save yourself trouble or money and perhaps both.

I agree totally, I'm ex directory so don't have too much of it apart from the people that call and ask you to confirm who they are speaking to! what is that about, I always try to be polite but not to them.
Anyway some people are vulnerable and easily persuaded which is where I think these companies should be brought to account. I had a look around the house today and think the gutters need cleaned not replaced but they were going to say they needed done as soon as he invited them in. AND the guy left my dad's back door unlocked

lisagrace
17-Jan-12, 23:38
oh i've done the googling, they also have different branches under different names. The thing is I think they can charge what they like if people are able to make an informed decision but i just feel that my dad was identified as an easy target and pressurised. I've been emailing them so have proof from my end but if they try to persue him I am going to take it much further

Dog-eared
17-Jan-12, 23:43
I just say " I don't own this property " .

lisagrace
17-Jan-12, 23:48
I just say " I don't own this property " .
If you've got time it is quite funny to keep them going, i had a mate that always got a conservatory company calling so one day she kept them on the phone for ages going through all the details before telling them she lived in a 3rd floor flat and why could she not have it when they said she could lmao

Dadie
18-Jan-12, 00:01
Done that one too..2nd floor flat ...Pentland housing as well as well.....
Darn I was so hoping for the extra living space too..
But on a serious note these people do not let up when they come across a "vulnerable" person as they are seen as an easy target.
Get as much as you can..get them to sign the contract..what they cant read the small print..all the better!
Its a good job you are looking out for your Father as Im sure many elderly people will have been cold called and some would have felt pressurised into buying without knowing as well!

Beat Bug
18-Jan-12, 00:25
An elderly friend once had a cold call from a stair lift company. He's a bit of a wag, so kept them on the phone for ages, asking all sorts of questions. He even went so far as to make an appointment for them to come and give him a quote. Then his last remark to them was 'Tell me, how do you fit a stair lift in a bungalow?' The phone went dead!

badger
18-Jan-12, 16:09
Sadly I bought a house with Weatherseal windows and every winter have to go round replacing the draught proofing to stop the wind whistling in round them - they seem to be warped. They are still under guarantee but the guarantee is linked to the purchaser, not the house, so useless. Seems they can do this which seems mad to me.

So when I had the call from Weatherseal I took great pleasure in telling them their windows were rubbish - and they still asked if I wanted a quote to replace them !! Their salesmen must be under huge pressure to get results, made more difficult by their bad reputation.

teddybear1873
18-Jan-12, 16:32
Wasn't Weatherseal under a different name a number of years ago? I'm sure my sister had windows put in by them a number of years ago and had to replaced. They were the worst windows I have ever seen if it was them.

millwood
18-Jan-12, 20:21
Register your Phone number with the Telephone Preference Service , and when they "Cold Call" you , advise them that you are registered. There are huge fines involved for companies that ignore this. Please note however, only marketing calls are generally excluded. Market research calls are not , but you can tell them once that you will not and do not entertain market research calls.

www.mpsonline.ork.uk

millwood
18-Jan-12, 20:25
www.tpsonline.org.uk

lisagrace
18-Jan-12, 20:30
www.tpsonline.org.uk (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk)
thanks for that

katarina
18-Jan-12, 21:35
Be careful that they do not contact your dad again in a few weeks or months with an 'improved' offer.

I would agree their tactics are high pressure, old school sales.

I had a visit from them, flyer guy rings doorbell - "we're taking names when we're in the area will we add you to the list, then we'll get our sales team to contact you?"

Me - "uh ok" [first bad move]

Two minutes later salesman knocks on the door ! Nothing better to do, let's see what he has to say.... [second bad move]

Also, salesman makes out he is on the phone to manager for special offer - out loud - "I've NEVER SEEN US DO THIS BEFORE .... Can we go that low??!"

I look outside window, see man in car on phone, presumably his 'manager'.

I almost laughed at how fake he phone call was, but put up with the presentation for my own good. Went to kitchen and did a quick Google, 1 star on reviewcentre told me all I needed to know.

Unfortunately the visit was not the end of it, and we got phone calls for a weeks afterwards with "one off" deals, and "improved offers", e.g. "I'm the manager and I can give you a better deal than the salesman" .

But yeah, they're prices were sky high, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard about Weatherseal before (in a bad way)! Definitely one to avoid.

I sincerely hope you get things sorted out and your dad's money back.

I't's unbelievable that they are still using that line. The I'LL CALL MY MANAGER, followed by, I'M GIVING UP MY OWN COMMISSION TO GIVE THIS DEAL or REALLY CAN WE DO THAT? . WE'VE NEVER CONE THAT LOW BEFORE is so yesterday! A kitchen salesman tried that trick with me 20 years ago. They must think we're really in the backwoods if they think we've never heard it before! It's laughable really.

teddybear1873
19-Jan-12, 03:19
I't's unbelievable that they are still using that line. The I'LL CALL MY MANAGER, followed by, I'M GIVING UP MY OWN COMMISSION TO GIVE THIS DEAL or REALLY CAN WE DO THAT? . WE'VE NEVER CONE THAT LOW BEFORE is so yesterday! A kitchen salesman tried that trick with me 20 years ago. They must think we're really in the backwoods if they think we've never heard it before! It's laughable really.

Lol, reminds of Magnet Kitchens who came to my house about 15 years ago. He was there for about 6hrs trying to get a deal out of us and trying the " I have never done this before" bull. He looked deflated when he left and didn't get us to sign.

Scunner
19-Jan-12, 12:45
Another phone call from Weatherseal this morning - usual garbage and 'we've got a scrap window scheme just now, up to £2000 for your old windows, maybe sometime in the future'. sick of their phone calls

Trajan
19-Jan-12, 12:57
same here scunner, just tell them its a council hoose, and yee have no plans to buy it,, they are gone in 6 seconds,,lol

benji
19-Jan-12, 13:42
We have now be called twice within the space of <8 weeks by Weatherseal.

Our number is registered on both the TPS and is ex-directory. I use my mobile number for deliveries and so it is (to my knowledge) only our family and friends who know what our landline number is.

The first call came from their sales centre in East Kilbride and their second from Dundee. I made a complaint to them via e-mail and got a response from a real live person. i am still waiting for them to confirm that they have removed my number fromm their system. Happy to share the e-mail address if anyone feels they want to write to Weatherseal (PM me).

badger
19-Jan-12, 15:55
Same story as benji. I checked I was registered with TPS and I was. I too have been called twice by Weatherseal so have registered a complaint about them on TPS website. Fortunately second call details were still on my phone which helped. Maybe if more people complained to TPS ?? Don't have much faith in Weatherseal noting a complaint.

poppett
19-Jan-12, 20:20
The way they get numbers is even older than Weatherseal`s selling tactics.

They know a real Thurso number to be 01847 89 57 ##. It doesn`t take a genius to work out that past the 89 any random four numbers has a chance of ringing and being answered. Therefore being registered with TPS etc., will make no difference. Same as dialling a wrong number and finding someone nice to speak to!!

transit
20-Jan-12, 19:47
my mum and dad got windows from weather seal wait for it yup crap stay clear pure cowboys same old story kept calling so i told em come give quote to repace there crap front door although still under warranty etc then got my brother to come into the house with a chainsaw say to sales rep u weatherseal yes right gona sort you guys out now well fastest ever departure ever the guy pure white in the face nearly cried and never had any more knocks on the door lol with regards to the calls still get them from time to time just use the tin whistle on them after few times and sore ears they seem to go away

fraz
20-Jan-12, 22:50
The guy that phoned me thought Thurso was in the Aberdeen area.DOH

achingale
23-Jan-12, 15:54
The guy that phoned me thought Thurso was in the Aberdeen area.DOH
Love it! :lol:

bluelady
24-Jan-12, 01:23
The easiest way to get rid of these type of callers- window replacements/builders/decoraters etc is to tell them the house is council or private rent, then they dinnae want to ken. They say, "ok,thank you" even if they say, "oh, sorry I thought you were the houseowner, just say "no, Just renting" then off they go. Then when you need these things, go on internet or word of mouth for good ones- never an idea to take up these offers without a through check and never commituntil your sure. For other salespersons, just tell them your unemployed or on debt collection schemes and that works too- especiallyif your someone that finds it hard to just say No thanks and cut them off- I found it also stops further phone calls as they cross you off their lists !

dx100uk
24-Jan-12, 02:16
get a truecall box

never another unwanted call again!

dx