PDA

View Full Version : Charity shops

spurtle
15-Jan-12, 12:35
Recently I've noticed charity shops are getting more and more expensive, in Homeaid they were selling books for more than the printed price and it wasn't even rare out of print ones. What's going on, it always used to attract those that wanted to find a bargain, now you're more likely to save money by going to Lidl or factory shop!

emmz
15-Jan-12, 13:02
I bought a glass table with 2 chairs down in Glasgow for £40 brand new, in home aid they had the exact same table no chairs second hand for £50! still doesnt stop me going in incase theres a bargain tho they are getting harder and harder to find!

Kodiak
15-Jan-12, 13:44
It is down to TV Programmes like Flog It where they show people who have bought something from a Charity Shop for a £1 and then go on to sell it at Auction for £500.

So they are putting their prices up and up and if they carry on they will price themselves right out of the market. Charity Shops need money I know but they should also remember that since everything is donated everything they get for an item is 100% Profit.

pumkin
15-Jan-12, 14:03
It's also to do with the fact that the town is painstakingly quiet.

& also, greed. I donated a large item that needed collecting from the Home Aid van. The item was in Princes St. (the same street the Home Aid shop is on) & they charged me £5 for this pick up! I'm talking around 250 yards from their shop to the pick up point, & they charged me £5! The van driver was obviously mortified that he had to ask for the money, but it's not his fault.

I later passed the shop, about a week later, to find the item selling for £300.

Kevin Milkins
15-Jan-12, 14:04
Charity Shops need money I know but they should also remember that since everything is donated everything they get for an item is 100% Profit.

Once they have taken away the running costs.

Gronnuck
15-Jan-12, 14:05
We have a free market economy and charity shops operate no differently, they sell whatever they have at the price they think they can get for it. Shoppers can always haggle if they wish. There is nothing more dispiriting than selling something to someone for them to immediately put it on their stall at a car boot sale or on eBay with a starting price much more than they paid for it. So charity shops are wising up to the fact that a fair proportion of their customers are in fact traders.

Gronnuck
15-Jan-12, 14:09

& also, greed. I donated a large item that needed collecting from the Home Aid van. The item was in Princes St. (the same street the Home Aid shop is on) & they charged me £5 for this pick up! I'm talking around 250 yards from their shop to the pick up point, & they charged me £5! The van driver was obviously mortified that he had to ask for the money, but it's not his fault.

You might have considered advertising the item (with a picture) and selling it yourself. Then you could have donated a proportion of your proceeds to a charity of your choice, simples*.

rich62_uk
15-Jan-12, 14:18
From what I understand they do not charge a pick up fee now for Home Aid.

Kodiak
15-Jan-12, 14:47
Once they have taken away the running costs.

It is still 100% Profit for the likes of HomeAid as they get all their running costs paid for from Grants. Even the wages they have to pay are paid from a Grant.

I am quite sure that other charities have access to the same grants that HomeAid do. Even if they dont all charity shops get a very large discount on their rates as they are a charity.

spurtle
15-Jan-12, 15:57
It doesn't matter what people do with it afterwards, whether they keep it or sell it on it's all part of the reason people do it and the charity gets money too - but when you see chipboard bookcases and whatever being sold £40 + You think- I could get a better deal elsewhere . Am I right to say charity shops are not required to pay tax? and do they not get cheap business rates etc? It's just something I've noticed since the last two years or so.

pumkin
15-Jan-12, 16:34
From what I understand they do not charge a pick up fee now for Home Aid.

Really? This must be something they started in 2012 as I know they were charging for pick up/delivery in late November 2011.

Carole
15-Jan-12, 16:48
Really? This must be something they started in 2012 as I know they were charging for pick up/delivery in late November 2011.

I donated a lot of furniture 18 months ago and wasn't charged for collection. I may have thought twice about it if they had asked for money.

Gronnuck
15-Jan-12, 17:11
Consider this. Highland Council charge a flat rate of £15 for the collection of up to three items during a single visit (e.g. sofa and two chairs), and £30 for the collection of four to a maximum of six items during a single visit. You want to donate your furniture to HomeAid or some other charity but who’s to say it is suitable? Does your soft furnishings carry a label confirming its fire retardant properties? If not it cannot/should not be passed on to another user. Is it damaged or dirty because you shoved it in the garage when your new suite arrived? If it’s not suitable guess who has to take it to the tip. It is not unknown for charities to be used as a means of disposing of bulky household items under the guise of ‘donations’.

Carole
15-Jan-12, 17:19
Consider this. Highland Council charge a flat rate of £15 for the collection of up to three items during a single visit (e.g. sofa and two chairs), and £30 for the collection of four to a maximum of six items during a single visit. You want to donate your furniture to HomeAid or some other charity but who’s to say it is suitable? Does your soft furnishings carry a label confirming its fire retardant properties? If not it cannot/should not be passed on to another user. Is it damaged or dirty because you shoved it in the garage when your new suite arrived? If it’s not suitable guess who has to take it to the tip. It is not unknown for charities to be used as a means of disposing of bulky household items under the guise of ‘donations’.

From my recollection, I was asked about the fire retardant labels on the phone and, personally, I would not have considered donating items which ought to have gone to the skip. I was a frequent visitor to the skip at that time - taking stuff which could be recycled and / or was destined for landfill.

You may well be right about people using charities as a means of disposal. 'Tis sad.

Gronnuck
15-Jan-12, 17:35
Unfortunately not everyone is as diligent as you Carole. Some people think that because it’s a charity they are duty bound to pass on any old rubbish. The recycling of donated goods is governed by the same rules that apply to everything else. For instance, electrical goods have to be tested and certified as safe for use by a qualified tradesperson before they can be passed or sold on; that can be costly unless they are prepared to give their time and expertise for free.

pumkin
15-Jan-12, 19:06
I donated a lot of furniture 18 months ago and wasn't charged for collection. I may have thought twice about it if they had asked for money.

After reading this I really am peed off. I had to pay for a collection & as I stated the collection was on Princes St. The same street Home Aid is on!

Anyway, it has happened, & it was a long time ago. My favourite charity shop in the town is the Red Cross at the end of the precinct. Friendly staff make all the difference in a shop.

golach
15-Jan-12, 20:10
After reading this I really am peed off. I had to pay for a collection & as I stated the collection was on Princes St. The same street Home Aid is on!
Why are you peed off, you were helping a charity with your old furniture were you not? Or were you looking for a profit of some kind?

pumkin
15-Jan-12, 21:21
Why are you peed off, you were helping a charity with your old furniture were you not? Or were you looking for a profit of some kind?

Profit? Hardly!

If you read the full post, Golach, you would've read that Carole donated furniture & never got charged for collection. Whereas, I had to pay for collection, even though the pick up point was approximately 250 yards from their shop. I donated my item, which had an asking price of £300 & they demanded £5 for pick up.

That, to me, sounds greedy. Would you not say so?

lisagrace
15-Jan-12, 21:45
Profit? Hardly!

If you read the full post, Golach, you would've read that Carole donated furniture & never got charged for collection. Whereas, I had to pay for collection, even though the pick up point was approximately 250 yards from their shop. I donated my item, which had an asking price of £300 & they demanded £5 for pick up.

That, to me, sounds greedy. Would you not say so?

I agree entirely that homeaid in particular is greedy, I have seen items in there costing more than the buy new price (eg wardrobe from argos that cost £90 and they were asking £120). I think it can be assumed that most people shopping in a charity shop, like me, don't have much money and obviously i would rather buy things new than second hand. I also think with homeaid that as they were originally started to provide homeless people with the things they needed to start a new home that people may assume this is where their donated items are going. Even the people who qualify for homestart have to pay a 'minimum fee' per item and delivery. As for running costs I think there are about 3 staff in the Thurso shop who are paid and everyone else is there voluntarily and probably subsidised by grants etc.

pumkin
15-Jan-12, 22:02
I agree entirely that homeaid in particular is greedy, I have seen items in there costing more than the buy new price (eg wardrobe from argos that cost £90 and they were asking £120). I think it can be assumed that most people shopping in a charity shop, like me, don't have much money and obviously i would rather buy things new than second hand. I also think with homeaid that as they were originally started to provide homeless people with the things they needed to start a new home that people may assume this is where their donated items are going. Even the people who qualify for homestart have to pay a 'minimum fee' per item and delivery. As for running costs I think there are about 3 staff in the Thurso shop who are paid and everyone else is there voluntarily and probably subsidised by grants etc.

I love shopping in charity shops. You never know what you're going to come across. I go mainly for books, there's many a book I've bought from the shops in Thurso. Any town I go to, I always go to their local charity shops.

I know with Home Aid, they go to the skip to look for items to sell, I have been told this by volunteers who have worked there in the past.

My only problem is that I had to pay for my collection. I knew the item had worth & I wanted it to go to the Home Aid shop as the other charity shops in Thurso don't have room for large items, but when I had to pay for the delivery, I haven't been back since. & I've donated a lot in that shop over the years.

If someone is kind enough to give their possessions to charity, why should they pay for collection? Especially when the pick up point was 250 yards away & the item had value.

It's quite simply put, greed. No other word for it.

chocolatechip
15-Jan-12, 23:59
I went in to two of the the local chairty shops this week and got two great deals!! One was a 12 piece tea-set (4 cups, 4 tea plates, and 4 sandwhich plates) £2 for the 12 pieces a bargin and in another was 2 raditor hangers for washing and they were a £1 for the two! So I just reckon you got to be in at the right time to pick up a bargin!! But I went into one chairty shop and there was a dinner set for £25 and that was too expensive so I reckon right place right time!! And you got to search for a bargin!!!

unicorn
16-Jan-12, 00:04
ouch, that is some mark up, I often thing the the furniture in home aid would sell a lot better if they ran a wet cloth over it before selling it.

billy5000
16-Jan-12, 13:57
Ive noticed that homeaid is charging allot more than before and this is getting really annoying since its supposed to be a charity shop!
If there were more carboots around id go there instead but as there isnt then homeaid was the next best thing but not so much now!!

and no point going to oxfam or any of the others as they are even worse with pricing!

Homeaid had steadily got worse and worse and from what ive been told its down to people that price the items up as they start high knowing that sooner or later some mugg will pay the listed price!!
and also it doesnt help when management likes to continue to broaden there cirtificates of abilitys and this paper costs money and does little to help the shop but more the person and getting profesional help from outside sources about how the shop should look and what profit margins they should be taking is outside help they DIDNT need!!

and again this help has cost money thus prices go up to reimburse the loss!!!

please homeaid dont run before you can walk and keep to the original size boots you started with!!

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 17:29

As Home Aid have not charged for a pick up of an item for 2 years if your pick up was in this time you really should let the shop know, as obviously one of the employees has been less than honest.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 18:09
As Home Aid have not charged for a pick up of an item for 2 years if your pick up was in this time you really should let the shop know, as obviously one of the employees has been less than honest.

Well they have charged for an item within the last two years, they charged me.

I've stopped supporting them because of this, & the fact that their prices have rocketed over the course of 6months.

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 18:17
Yes you have said this before... However as I said before why not pop into the shop and have a word with them ?

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 18:40
Yes you have said this before... However as I said before why not pop into the shop and have a word with them ?

Well, tbh, I feel that I've made my point to them by not going back. I would shop there between 3 - 4 times a week for a number of years & would always buy something. I don't want to complain, knowing fine I'm not going to go back & shop there.

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 18:46
Your complaining on here. Wouldn't it be better to find out where your money went ? I know if I was running a shop and someone in my employ was stealing then I would like to know.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 19:02
I know if I was running a shop and someone in my employ was stealing then I would like to know.

You're presuming that one of the employee's took my £5, we don't know this & I'm not pointing the finger at any individual for stealing.

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 19:06
So you gave your £5 to someone passing by in the street ? If they got in the van then they are an employee. You wouldn't have to point any fingers as like any other shop I am sure that Home Aid will have paper work tracking back the item from the shop to your address. They will see on the paper work who took your £5.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 19:15
So you gave your £5 to someone passing by in the street ? If they got in the van then they are an employee. You wouldn't have to point any fingers as like any other shop I am sure that Home Aid will have paper work tracking back the item from the shop to your address. They will see on the paper work who took your £5.

Now lets not get sarcy here rich62_uk. You're the one pointing the finger at stealing, not me. I never EVER thought that the van driver stole my money, nor do I think it now.

Maybe you work in Home Aid, rich62_uk?

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 19:24

I was not being sarcy ... Can if you want ? I would happily tell you where I work if you tell me where you work then we would be even agreed ?

You clearly state above that it was the van driver who asked for the money he is an employee not someone passing by.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 19:36
I was not being sarcy ... Can if you want ? I would happily tell you where I work if you tell me where you work then we would be even agreed ?

You clearly state above that it was the van driver who asked for the money he is an employee not someone passing by.

Read the post, the driver was mortified. I never said it was someone passing by on the street. I think it's completely wrong to presume that someone is stealing. Whether it's this situation or any other situation, you can't just presume that someone is stealing. I've had items delivered to my house where there's a hidden charge. I don't agree with it, but hidden charges are everywhere.

So, you're saying you can be sarcy with me? Go on.

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 19:41
Cant you go to bed ? I am getting bored now as this is not worth my time I WAS only trying to make you do the right thing and be nice about it. Running a company down in public but not having the bottle to actually go into the shop and tell them to their face is not nice. If someone took your £5 and it was within the last 2 years then yes they was stealing as Home Aid has not charged for pick up in the last 2 years simple. Also they should have paper work tracing who was the driver on the day and then returning you your £5. Then you can go back into the shop with a smile rather than go on a public forum and run them down.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 20:00
Cant you go to bed ? I am getting bored now as this is not worth my time I WAS only trying to make you do the right thing and be nice about it. Running a company down in public but not having the bottle to actually go into the shop and tell them to their face is not nice. If someone took your £5 and it was within the last 2 years then yes they was stealing as Home Aid has not charged for pick up in the last 2 years simple. Also they should have paper work tracing who was the driver on the day and then returning you your £5. Then you can go back into the shop with a smile rather than go on a public forum and run them down.

There's many folk on this thread running down your shop, why don't you PM them all & make them do the "right thing". & as for me "going on a public forum & running them down", I was replying to a thread where your shop was already heavily run down.

Fact is this, your shop is FAR too expensive, & according to you, has got thieves being made to work there. After all, the "volunteers" are from Community Service & the Brew. I've never known anyone (in this particular shop) to work there voluntarily.

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 20:08
My shop ? Wow now I own a charity shop arnt I the lucky one ! No one was actually specific about MY shop in anyway (apart from the the silly comment about running a wet cloth over the items) As for PM I have not sent one to anyone about this thread so I fail to see where you are coming from ? Running down a shop is easy when hiding behind a computer I wonder how many of you (including you) will now actually go to the shop and say it face to face ? And the thieving ? Again it was you who indirectly accused them of it I just put a name to it for you rather than you implying or hinting anymore, you really should read what you post before you post more on here. Why not go in (yet again) and ask them how many actual volunteers they have rather than go by who or what you have ever known.

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 20:20
I never accused anyone of stealing, you did. I don't think anyone stole my money, never did think it nor will I ever think it. Why am I going to shop in an overpriced shop?

It's greed, sheer greed.

Do you think, rich62_uk, reading what other posters have posted, that Home Aid aren't greedy in their pricing? Do you think, rich62_uk, that Home Aid are well within their rights to overprice on the original RRP on items? Do you think, rich62_uk, that Beckham will make the Olympic Team?

rich62_uk
16-Jan-12, 20:23
You are off the plot you really are lmao. I am going...

Alrock
16-Jan-12, 21:06
After all, the "volunteers" are from Community Service & the Brew. I've never known anyone (in this particular shop) to work there voluntarily.

Sorry... been trying to stay out of this debate but I do take great offence at this remark seeing as both myself & my partner both do voluntary work with Homeaid. We are not on Community service & are not being forced there by the Broo. We give up our time because we enjoy the work & helping those in need.

Yoda the flump
16-Jan-12, 21:13
Well I lol'ed at this thread.

Complaining about charity shops raising money to support their work in the local community, come on people!

If you don't like the prices then don't part with your money or haggle, simples.

Home Aid do not charge for collections, but do charge £5.00 for delivery to cover costs.

As for the going to the skip, they have an area set aside at the Recycling Centres for donations that they cannot take in store.

As has been pointed out there are many items that they cannot accept and some do require testing before being sold or donated to the less fortunate in the community, and this does obviously cost money.

So come on folks, get a grip.

unicorn
17-Jan-12, 00:11
What is silly about it, it is not difficult to give an item a quick clean if you want to sell it.

My shop ? Wow now I own a charity shop arnt I the lucky one ! No one was actually specific about MY shop in anyway (apart from the the silly comment about running a wet cloth over the items) As for PM I have not sent one to anyone about this thread so I fail to see where you are coming from ? Running down a shop is easy when hiding behind a computer I wonder how many of you (including you) will now actually go to the shop and say it face to face ? And the thieving ? Again it was you who indirectly accused them of it I just put a name to it for you rather than you implying or hinting anymore, you really should read what you post before you post more on here. Why not go in (yet again) and ask them how many actual volunteers they have rather than go by who or what you have ever known.

Beat Bug
17-Jan-12, 00:55
Well they have charged for an item within the last two years, they charged me.

I've stopped supporting them because of this, & the fact that their prices have rocketed over the course of 6months.

We donated some items of furniture to Home Aid nearly 4 years ago, and weren't charged for collection!

katarina
17-Jan-12, 02:46

I had stuff picked up twice and didn't have to pay for it.
If I had been asked I'd have given it to Blytheswood as I know they don't charge.

lisagrace
23-Jan-12, 12:26
sorry to start this thread off again but here is a perfect example I found today, homeaid are selling a 'corona' coffee table all scratched and cup marks for £50, you can buy this new from Jim's carpets for £69. I hope no-one buys it cos they will be getting ripped off!

Gronnuck
23-Jan-12, 14:45
sorry to start this thread off again but here is a perfect example I found today, homeaid are selling a 'corona' coffee table all scratched and cup marks for £50, you can buy this new from Jim's carpets for £69. I hope no-one buys it cos they will be getting ripped off!

Homeaid will continue to make these gaffs unless you challenge them. You really should point out the error to them and let them respond. If they don't offer an adequate explanation or respond appropriately then is the time to complain.

smithp
23-Jan-12, 23:17
I've no real problem with charity shops, but if I was a local shopowner I might. At the last auction one of the charity shops was buying up furniture, which I saw later for sale in the shop. Surely this is bordering on 'trading' and not what we all to perceive charity shops to be about.

bluelady
24-Jan-12, 01:11
I have had many large items picked up over e years and never been charged. I often buy bits of furniture in their sales then a year or so when I feel like a change, I call them to collect or drop small items off and so continue to recycle items if they are in good nick. I also when I have a good clear out,fill boxes with all sorts and take it to various charity shops. Sometimes broken or damaged items can be easily prepared so I always ask them if they want it first as they may be able to use all or some of it for repairs and if its no good,I dump it myself. Odd bits like Xmas decs,Halloween dec setc may be of use for window decoration/displays so I put almost everything in and then they can sort it out and dump what they dinnae want. The delivery cost is reasonable if you think what it would cost to go there,pick itup and back again and struggle with heavy items. They even bring e items in and position them where you want them too.Id willingly pay a fiver to anyone who comes and picks up something heavy and transports it for me, if it was a neighbour/friend, I'd offer them something to do it, save me doing it and if they made money on it, then allgood on them. As its been said, HC charge per item and has also been said, you dinnae have to buy it and they often accept any reasonable offer made. And lastly maybe check with e shop, if its a new driver,he could have simply been mistaken and got mixed up with delivery/collection being paid for. Either way - youve saved yourself £10 if HC had to pick it up

shazzap
24-Jan-12, 01:29
Charity shops, arn't the same as they were years ago. They used to be for people, who found it hard to buy new. But as a lot have said in thier posts, the items now cost as much, or even more, than new.

Squeak.x
24-Jan-12, 23:49
All the goods are donated by people who feel they are doing a good turn. Likewise the many people who volunteer to give their time for free obviously feel that it's worthwhile job.

Most of the charity shops make a point of checking eBay before they mark the goods. Most of the shops admitted this and 87% of charities say that sales from the internet will increase over the coming years.
In 2010 UK charities amassed £4.6m selling goods on the web - an 123 % increase since 2011.

Quality furniture donated by good willed folks sometimes doesn't even reach the shop floor! Outside deals with several furniture shops take place, for obvious reasons it's kept quiet by unscrupulous insiders.

The managers get a very good salary and many drive around in expensive cars with personalised number plates

Holidays are no problem for them, often three times in a year.

Cancer cure has been known for years, it's a scam and is being withheld, except for the super rich.
Last year Oxfam's stores made a profit of £20.9 million in the UK. I don't know if this figure includes the books which are donated by the public too. Just where exactly does ALL that money go?

It's all too much like a business that rakes in BIG money!

Quote:

"I have even seen a designer shirt for sale in a Red Cross shop that was more expensive than a new version from a store. Charity books can be the same price as brand new ones". Endquote

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-387195/The-great-charity-shop-con.html

Trajan
25-Jan-12, 01:10
IMHO ,I've no real problem with charity shops either,,:cool: but since the rise of them everywhere,and not just one or two, per small town,and they are a business,not a charity per say, all the local auctions have closed , wick and thurso, coghills in wick and macgregors in thurso, peeps losing their jobs etc,,
all that is left is quoybrae and only the livestock saved them. how can any small business compete against free labour, or forced labour ,if your unlucky enough to be on the broo for any length of time, and reduced rates , reduced taxes,etc etc etc , charity shops take more from a community than they ever give back, while the heads of these charities sit back and take very large salaries, and i dont mean the managers on the ground,,who seem to be the only people getting a wage out of it ,and how much stuff , ie antiques and collectables goes out the back door, too the so called experts who value the stuff free for said charity shops, ohh ill take these couple of boxes of items for my valuable time ,,;)
nothing wrong with charities, but when it wipes out local business and prohibits start up businesses it cant be a good thing in the long run.
how many charity shops in caithness anyone please.
and how many a decade or so ago. they all seem to have arrived with all the indian takeaways ,the chinese take aways, the pakistani doctors, do we not train our own doctors these days,,or do they just work for less dosh.
More british soldiers are killed and maimed by pakistanis in afganistan than afgans, how ironic,
glasgow used to have a wonderfull doctors college /uni, where do they all go too im pretty sure its not pakistan:grin:
In the state this country is in, im afraid its time too look after our own,,, charity begins at home,, they say,, all i see is charity going abroad when it is needed here more than ever.british jobs for british people, yeah right,
more like british jobs for anybody but british people,
wee rant over for the mo,,

Kevin Milkins
25-Jan-12, 10:26
IMHO ,I've no real problem with charity shops either,,:cool: but since the rise of them everywhere,and not just one or two, per small town,and they are a business,not a charity per say, all the local auctions have closed , wick and thurso, coghills in wick and macgregors in thurso, peeps losing their jobs etc,,
all that is left is quoybrae and only the livestock saved them. how can any small business compete against free labour, or forced labour ,if your unlucky enough to be on the broo for any length of time, and reduced rates , reduced taxes,etc etc etc , charity shops take more from a community than they ever give back, while the heads of these charities sit back and take very large salaries, and i dont mean the managers on the ground,,who seem to be the only people getting a wage out of it ,and how much stuff , ie antiques and collectables goes out the back door, too the so called experts who value the stuff free for said charity shops, ohh ill take these couple of boxes of items for my valuable time ,,
nothing wrong with charities, but when it wipes out local business and prohibits start up businesses it cant be a good thing in the long run.
and how many a decade or so ago. they all seem to have arrived with all the indian takeaways ,the chinese take aways, the pakistani doctors, do we not train our own doctors these days,,or do they just work for less dosh.
More british soldiers are killed and maimed by pakistanis in afganistan than afgans, how ironic,
glasgow used to have a wonderfull doctors college /uni, where do they all go too im pretty sure its not pakistan
In the state this country is in, im afraid its time too look after our own,,, charity begins at home,, they say,, all i see is charity going abroad when it is needed here more than ever.british jobs for british people, yeah right,

Have you any strong views on climate change, I blame the China man for burning to much coal.;)

spurtle
25-Jan-12, 11:02
I don't quite understand the link from charity shop to "coming over here and taking all our jobs" type of rant.

Squeak.x
26-Jan-12, 21:54
The bulk of the cash made by charity shops won't reach the needy. Fact! Trajan you are right 'charity' does begin at home, and should be exercised within the family.

Crackeday
28-Jan-12, 07:24
I think quite alot of what goes into SOME (not all) of the Charity shops will never see the light of day in a shop as there "wheeled and dealed" by so called Volunteers who think nothing of making a few pound for themselves rather than for the charity they pretend to represent.
If I want to give to a charity I would do so by donation but only to charities that actually ensure the money goes directly to who needs it, not lining other peoples pockets.

Yoda the flump
28-Jan-12, 20:52
all that is left is quoybrae and only the livestock saved them. how can any small business compete against free labour, or forced labour ,if your unlucky enough to be on the broo for any length of time, and reduced rates , reduced taxes,etc etc etc , charity shops take more from a community than they ever give back, while the heads of these charities sit back and take very large salaries, and i dont mean the managers on the ground,,who seem to be the only people getting a wage out of it ,and how much stuff , ie antiques and collectables goes out the back door, too the so called experts who value the stuff free for said charity shops, ohh ill take these couple of boxes of items for my valuable time ,,;)
glasgow used to have a wonderfull doctors college /uni, where do they all go too im pretty sure its not pakistan:grin:

Well, slightly off topic but this is the type of xenophobic trash that gets the BNP elected and causes so much trouble for this country

fee
29-Jan-12, 23:40
The prices in there seem fine to me sometimes you get a bargin sometimes you dont.
I recently made £300 selling some comics i bought there (donated some profit back to them) and today i asked if they could knock any money off an item of furniture and they discounted it by £15 so its worth trying to haggle.

secretsquirrel
03-Feb-12, 16:11
i must be honest i used to buy a lot of old books from "local charity" shops but eventually it actually became cheaper for me to buy from ebay (and pay postage) or from the second had book shop in Thurso and still they are cheaper than i can buy in a "local charity shop". The only decent priced "charity shop" locally i consider to be Tyler's Trust in Wick. Which i support by donating the books to when i am finished with them.

I must agree with some of the comments about items being handed into charity shops then staff getting the first chance of items this i know from a friend who used to work in one.

Mentioning no names but a certain local charity shop has pictures in its windows, priced at at around £10-£12. About 17 years ago when i had my first house i bought the exact same pictures in a 99p-£9.99 for 99p - better have a hunt to find them and make some money!!!

Alice in Blunderland
03-Feb-12, 17:51
the pakistani doctors, do we not train our own doctors these days,,or do they just work for less dosh.

Yes we do in his country train 'our own' doctors however for some reason there are not enough doctors coming out of training to cover the positions that are vacant. We do not have enough skilled doctors to fill the positions so where are you suggesting we magic them from .....MARS would that be acceptable to you?

And they are all paid the same scale set out across the country no cheap labour.

glasgow used to have a wonderfull doctors college /uni, where do they all go too im pretty sure its not pakistan

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and many other cities still do have excellent medical schools and the doctors who graduate are free to travel anywhere they desire to further their career whether its in this country. Pakistan, America or MARS once space flight allows it.;)

In the state this country is in, im afraid its time too look after our own british jobs for british people, yeah right,

Oh here we go again lets bang the British jobs for British people drum. That would be all good and well if we had the skilled people within this country to fill all the vacant positions. What if we don't as I have already explained ? We sadly have a lack in this country in certain fields and need to recruit from abroad. FACT.

more like british jobs for anybody but british people, wee rant over for the mo,,

Let me see as a good example I shall offer up our very own Caithness General. Now how many British doctors born and bred are currently working there maintaining services out of the let me see 12 consultants and how many junior doctors hmm ? How many British doctors are running North to take up these positions some of which are at present still vacant.

Sorry dont want to drag this away from the charity debate but felt I had to answer those points.

golach
03-Feb-12, 18:39
they all seem to have arrived with all the indian takeaways ,the chinese take aways, the pakistani doctors, do we not train our own doctors these days,,or do they just work for less dosh.
Glasgow used to have a wonderfull doctors college /uni,more like british jobs for anybody but british people,
Edinburgh Uni is the more famous for educating surgeons, and going back to the 1800's had the most enterprising Medical Students, who went around graveyards stealing fresh corpses, sold them to Dr Knox the head teacher, for approx £7.00 each. But two infamous Irish navvies William Burke and William Hare, did not like digging up graves, so they turned to murder, they murdered 17 victims, Hare turned Kings Evidence, and William Burke was hanged. If you wish to see the skeleton of Burke, go to the Royal College of Surgeons its on show there.
And without the Italians we would not have had the Cardosi's ice cream in Thursa, and I love Indian and Chinese take aways, and Turkish Kebab shops.

billy5000
03-Feb-12, 23:41
I went into homeaid the other day, and i do this everytime i get into town! which is only once or twice a week due to petrol costs etc! and i have steadily noticed that prices are creeping up on the many varied things they stock(given)

Many of the things i wouldnt take to a carboot! let alone stick in a charity shop and stick an inflated price tag on it, with the (someone will pay that price sooner or later )attitude!!

I asked the steven why things were getting silly prices stamped on them, he just grinned and said "you should have seen it years ago it was much more expensive"
now sorry i know you can haggle but this is just an excuse and a bad one at that!....

The reason this sort of attitude annoys me is because i used to go to a shop on orkney almost daily and it was a very popular shop because they believed in being cheap and providing a service for people that had limited income and they understood that they ran the shop on DONATED goods! they were not only doing thier bit for recycling but also helping those that had very little money and they cared more about customer bonds and friendlyness and word of mouth from this customer relationship.

if you wanted a shirt for instance,man/women/child etc then it was a standard £1 and no more! they realise that these are SECOND hand clothes and those that brought them did so because they couldnt afford NEW!!,but lots of charity shops are only just undercutting NEW clothes prices! and some ive seen can be as much as £5-6 and the same with boots/shoes!!(the charity shop on orkney)£1!!!!!!

I like homeaid dont get me wrong! and i get along with almost everyone in there but the person who prices things up needs to be given proper guidance and not just guidance in profit!!!

The reason the orkney shop was good was because they showed that they were caring and non greedy! and im sorry to say but homeaid(on some things)is just plain greedy! they are seeminly aiming at people who are going there because they cannot afford new items ,so they price things afew quid below so it looks like the customer is getting a good deal, when infact they are not! and haggling is fine but you wouldnt have to if things were priced fairly! and to go in there and haggle only points out that either your a cheapskate or prices are alittle off!!!!..

I love haggling and its great but if i see an item i think is fairly priced i dont even think about haggling so isnt that pointing something out!!!

I wont be going there for much longer as i think its just getting rediculous! and if they are doing it because the town charity shops do then they will also see a sharpe decrease in sales as the ones in the centre most likly have done!!!.

Its mostly carboot items in there anyway, and sometimes you may find something you like the look of and these days if you do its usually priced overly high! dispite being able to haggle which allot of people dont like doing since its supposed to be a CHARITY SHOP!!!!.

please sort it out michelle!!!lower the inflated prices and watch people come back in droves!!have a good look round and put yourself back in normal peoples shoes and imagine your on a budget, and not being paid silly money to wipe off used goods and mark them up high untill someone is stupid enough to pay for it!

This will lead to your profits becomming stale and you will soon find yourself paying what little overheads out of your own money! because the money from the sales has dropped when it should be (in and out sales)and not sitting idle untill they are brought after several weeks, ive seen many charity shops and allot of the items dont stick around for more than a day or two! where as your shop i can see the same items week after week!!!..

whatever happens i dont see many going back there for long as ive seen stupid prices for too long! and if you want my advice!get someone else on pricing!!!

But thats my opinion! and they dont listern to customers (friendly yes)but excuses dont help,il stick to ebay i think!its cheaper......

I do wish homeaid goodluck! and hi to everyone there, its not personal but you really need to listern! as its not about PROFIT! well it never used to be and they all managed to make a tidy sum back then with prices low!!

never mind!!

blueboy
03-Feb-12, 23:56
wheres the like button...well said billy5000...:)

lisagrace
04-Feb-12, 02:06
Billy that was some rant but well said (i think) i've only started using the org to sell stuff and apart from getting a bit of cash in my own purse its quite good fun, i'm not going to give my stuff to homeaid anymore because they are completely overpriced, not thinking about their customers and forgetting the stuff they are selling has been donated, probably by people who want to see it going to a good home rather than making a huge profit. (tesco photo frame for £7 WTF?)

caithnessmw
04-Feb-12, 03:22
I myself used to work for Caithness Glass in Wick. I go in to Home Aid, Highland Hospice, British Red Cross and other charity shops around the country. I seen Caithness Glass vases and paperweight is all of these shops.

The price they are charging is more than what they cost brand new when the factory was still open and made by locals. For example, a small Flamenco vase, about 4 inch tall, we paid about £7 in 2003, Homeaid was wanting £10. I asked why they were charging so much, I was told that it was a collectors item. I know for a fact that only the limited edition hand blown vases and paperweights are collectors items.

I do know what I am talking about as I worked at CG for 20+ years

billy5000
04-Feb-12, 03:43
I know what you mean!

its even the little things that are !pretty! that get a high mark up and thats because its a women doing the markups!!
If you look around in there you can see many OLD things going at high prices!

I was just looking about and saw a bathroom cabinet (wood) which has old emulsion slapped on it and looking bitten around the edges and they were asking between 3-5pound

i know that doesnt sound much but for what it was is stupid!
i have a bathroom cabinet and its glass and chrome and i brought that from ikea for under a fiver!!!!(designer looking)

kids stuffed toys get between 50p to £1 tags and these at carboots would be considered 10-20p items!

im sure you could spend all day and find things in there that are priced on the basis that they are collectors when there not or because they are in good condition but that doesnt mean that its NEW! or worth anymore than 20-50p or maybe afew quid!

a travel cot for 30-35 pound(in home aid) in its carry bag! which can be brought new for 35pound!!

I picked up 4 place mats with flower pictures on them from homeaid and these were marked up at 50p EACH!!!(a matching set)which i thought was odd being mark separatly!
i said to the lady that id be happy to give them 20p each for them or a pound for the lot but i got stiffed for £1.50 for a set and these where worn and chewed around the edges but i wanted them for wall art in the bathroom!

but its an example of the sort of things they think they can get away with!and these people cannot even get the lift going again with all the money they extort from there high prices and having prams makes it very tricky as me and the misses takes turns going in there while the other stays in the car with the kids!!

not anymore ive wasted enough time getting fed up with greed

dellboy rings a bell!!!

im not even going into the amount of counterfiet dvds they have had over the last 1-2months which i did point out to them as i didnt want someone buying it and finding it to be a really bad copy and NOT what they thought they were paying for!!!but i got the "yeah i know we have got a couple"
and they were not even that good replicas as the printer that printed the dvd covers where low quality prints and OBVIOUS!!!!

so beware of the dvds that look faded!!you may find yourself watching someone getup during you movie and not in your own house but in the cinema it was copied in or you may find green artifacts twitching across your movie!!

and these !!!yep the same price as original dvds!!!

down south thats illegal so no idea here?

also take a look at the prices of the lamps and light shades:0

and these people have volunteers that dont get paid! they must be mad considering they are being laughed at while the head takes the money and they get nothing and i have a good friend that helps without pay and he travels 40+miles and gets nowt and it cost £10 per way to and from(atleast in my car it does)£1.52+per litre

Yoda the flump
04-Feb-12, 12:32
I think the one thing some are forgetting is that the Homeaid shop is only one facet of the charity, one that is there to raise money.

The 'over priced' items do not provide profits for shareholders, but rather providing a better standard of living for the less well off in the community.

Problem?

billy5000
04-Feb-12, 12:45
yeah actually!

by overpricing how is it helping the less well off??(why else would one shop there if they could afford the luxuries of the affluent fat cats/shareholders around!!

that comment is contradictory in itself/(but rather providing a better standard of living for the less well off in the community.)

Yoda the flump
04-Feb-12, 13:43
You have a problem with them providing house hold goods for the less well off the a £5 delivery charge?

billy5000
04-Feb-12, 13:54
no i dont have a problem with the delivery charge as i find £5 is pretty reasonable the problem i have is the overpriced goods in the shop which you clearly admitted doesnt go to the shareholders so it must go to the head of the shop then?

as you did admit (overpriced) and to have shareholders implies the company has worth!
so if its got a good value why doesnt the shop reflect that in fair prices as it once did which is how homeaid got to the position of wealth in the first place!!!

i take it your an employee:)and like i said i have no problem with the employees just the prices!,but i guess you think its still doing a service to the less well off!!

well i guess you must be right and everyone ive talked to is wrong (even an employee)!!!

Yoda the flump
04-Feb-12, 15:49
My main point Billy is that the shop, whilst an important part of the charity is not the main purpose of the Homeaid charity.

The shop is there to help raise funds so that Homeaid can provide further help to those in need.

I do not, and have never worked for Homeaid.

billy5000
04-Feb-12, 17:33
where are these people in need?

they are the ones that use homeaid are they not?and the ones who pay through the nose!

i mean a sofa for £2-300+!!i can pick a new one up for pretty much that albiet it wouldnt be a very good one(abit like those in the shop) so again its no real saving!

you cannot retract from the fact that homeaid is stinging the ones who pay wages and enables shares and help the needy (which isnt just homeless folk)everyones struggling in someway or another and i thought homeaid started off cheap to make it easier for poor folk like myself to get afew usefull bits and pieces!

they are not cheap anymore and its getting worse and that is a fact and im not obviously the only one thats noticed!!

at this rate they will have to dig in their own pockets to help the (really needy) and all i was doing was pointing out a clear fact and hoping they come to there senses!

Yoda the flump
04-Feb-12, 18:42
Maybe this will help you Billy http://www.homeaid.org.uk/page4.html

If you are buying from the shop you are not the direct target of the charity.

billy5000
04-Feb-12, 19:38
qoute:: Buying an item, be it for 50p or £5.00 will help us to continue to provide the service to people on a low income.

so if its not for the charity where is it going!!!

and 50p to £5 LOL keep going ++++++++

whats the point of the link?ive read it and to be honest its all about who they have helped and who are still waiting!!! so what!!,the figures look like a gross exaggeration and going on these figures they must have refurnished almost every home in scotland!!

firgures are figures but considering (and acording to the qoute)every little helps!,so if i buy something whats it being spent on !or am i just a pocket filler as the charity seems to have more than enough money that they look upon the shop sales as meagre!

for someone that has no employment (in homeaid)and never has, you seem to have a vested interest to protect the shop, when the facts speak for themselves! and its got nothing to do with what they have done, and what sort of god im supposed to see them as!! its about PRICES!! and what is meant to be cheap for low income familys to browse around and pick up a bargain!!!isnt!!

i dont care about stats! i just stated that they are getting ahead of themselves in the pricing ,and alot of people say the same !and its only you that seems to take offence to that !and that doesnt sound like someone that hasnt got thier fingers under the till of homeaid!!!

just my observation you understand!!!

im not arguing about whos got the biggest weiner and whos done what! im saying and stating a pure fact!!! and throwing this drivel link(its a brick a brak shop and??! is an obvious tactic to remain silent on the reason why things are getting expensive!!!:)

sorry for the rantr im eating my dinner so im not going to fiddle around with the layout!!!

they say they would like donations and you say im not the target for the charity well of course i am!!! im on low income and struggling!!!!

phil_moonbeam
06-Feb-12, 11:15
Homeaid is a charity it helps people in many ways by providing items for low income people and families , And they providw training and help unemployed people get back to work it can be working in the shop or office or at the wharehouse i no i was unemployed for a few years and due to ilness found it a struggle gettin back to work even after been on one of the 13week courses i stayed on as a volenteer and quite enjoyed it you dont get paid (but they do pay your bus fares ) its a worthwhile cause i support homeaid the whole way yes some items they sell are pricey but remember they do have 2 vans and 3 buisness premises to run heat light and fuel is not cheap today so dont run them down if you see items overpriced speak to a manager or someone on the shop floor they are there to help and most off them are volrnteers who dont get paid and give up there time freely and long may homeaid be here

pat
06-Feb-12, 11:44
If Home Aid have all these premises and vehicles why do they not find one larger building, probably run by less staff, less heating and lighting, less overheads, they may then be able to reduce the prices of items.

Alrock
06-Feb-12, 11:54
If Home Aid have all these premises and vehicles why do they not find one larger building, probably run by less staff, less heating and lighting, less overheads, they may then be able to reduce the prices of items.

So who would lose their shop, Wick or Thurso?
One large building? Probably would have to be on an Industrial estate somewhere, would they get the customers needed being so out of the way?

billy5000
07-Feb-12, 00:13
pats right!

if they managed thier systems better they wouldnt need to raise prices because they are overstretching thier abilitys and from what i see they WERE doing pretty well before the expansions etc

run before walking rings a bell!!!

why should the people they are helping pay through higher prices to keep them afloat when they are abviously doing well enough to have SHAREHOLDERS,they would do better getting back the customers that are giving homeaid a wide berth because of the prices rather than pricing people away!!

since its those customers that are on low incomes that shop thier unless im missing something!!

ive seen plenty of units on industrial estates doing very well down south and if i remember one was called something like (homestart/furniture warehouse)

Kodiak
07-Feb-12, 01:50
HomeAid.

HomeAid do have a store in the Ormlie Industrial Estate, had it for years.

HomeAid has no shareholders. What they have is a Board of Directors who are Non Paid, not even expences.

The expanding into the shop in Princes was paid for by serveral different grants. So HomeAid did not pay for it out of funds. In other words they did not over stretch themselves.

The Vans were also bought from several different Grants as is some of the running costs for them. Not only that there are I believe 4 paid staff now and all their wages are paid for from grants as well. Unfortunately they do however have to pay for repairs, insurance, Road Tax and Fuel for the Vans.

No Money raised by the sales of goods is paid out in Wages, Running costs of Vans, or the Running costs of Buildings etc. It all goes back into the project, Getting donated items repaired to the correct standard, Electrical items checked out and repaired if necessaery. etc.

The perople who they are helping do not pay for the item they need. That is the point of HomeAid. A Person is referred to HomeAid, this can be done from several different organisations, ie Social Services, Doctor, Job Centre etc etc. Then that person can get whatever they require from HomeAid for Free, like a new suite, Cooker, Fridge, TV or wharever. I have seen a whole house refurnished to a needy Family, right down to knives, Forks, Spoons, Cups & Saucers and even Salt & Pepper. The cost to the Family, ZERO, nothing at all as it is a Charity so it is completely Free for those in Need.

The goods for sale in the dhop are not for people in need thay are surplus stock and are sold off to purely to raise funds to help run HomeAid. Most customers who buy from HomeAid are not on Low Income. If someone is on a Low Income they can get referred and get what they require for Free.

I write this from knowledge as I am a ex-Director of HomeAid and no I never ever received a penny as a matter of fact HomeAid cost me quite a bit of money.

billy5000
07-Feb-12, 04:57
at last a voice of expieriance!!:)

BUT!!!

Again i ask! or wonder!,if the money from sales goes into the project of which is propped up by several grants, then why are they so flippant with pricing!
you can pickup some items new for afew quid more!?
These are donated items and second hand! (some being very obvious) so why,if they are subsidised with grants do they feel the need to repulse regular customers with obvious and cheeky price delusions!

I was in there the other day and it really does make you feel angry that they think some of this surplus(not useful or not good enough quality) for thier waiting list members is good enough to try and flog off to non waiting list members at an inflated price !

Like i said before, its not the shop i have a problem with! its the idea that some of the goods are worth nearly what you would pay new! and some being not the best quality but thats the point! you pop in there to see if you can pick up a CHEAP bargain and at the expected CHEAP charity shop price and in that you dont expect it to be immaculate!.

but this pricing is just creeping up! and ok you can haggle but wouldnt it be better to just treat the goods as they were intended,cheap,donated,surplus!!!!
Its a great project yes!but its starting to look like they are just out to make a nice slice of non grant profits! and it really needs to remember that some of the people that shop there might not be on thier lists, but that doesnt mean we are not poor or hard up,or old..

just not poor enough to get on the list!
in my house im living with a sofa thats older than most carehome sofas 20-30 yrs ago, a cooker that really should be put down! and the rest of the house was left to run down over the years and the owners made no effort to sort it out,with carpets that came from skips and floor laminet that moves when you do !

just because im not on the list doesnt mean i have enough money to get taken the royal #*** out of! and by doing it they are effectivly treating you like morons that dont know you can pick up the same items new! for a very small amount more but with less cup marks on it!!!

if they get grants then why dont they stick to the basics of a charity shop! and be thankfull for what they get(which is what we would do,and except the conditions)but they are clearly trying to get as much for thrown/donated items as they can! and it just looks greedy,which is what i was saying as i left the shop! as well as saying that at this rate(prices)i wouldnt find it viable to bother comming in anymore,to which steven replies "oh im sorry to hear that"

makes you feel really valued as a REGULAR customer who had spent allot in there! and gets on with most of the people in there and they know me well!!!

whatever happens i hope they take heed and start to realise that they run the real risk of pushing PAYING friendly custom away !!!

thats all i can really say as its just getting boring now and all i was trying to express was that things are getting silly but as yet i have seen no change so no matter how good they are to list members they are obviously treating everyone else with money eyes and cash cows!

good luck to them!

Alrock
07-Feb-12, 09:02
in my house im living with a sofa thats older than most carehome sofas 20-30 yrs ago, a cooker that really should be put down! and the rest of the house was left to run down over the years and the owners made no effort to sort it out,with carpets that came from skips and floor laminet that moves when you do !

Sounds to me like that you are in privately rented accommodation?
If so that is an issue you should take up with your landlord & if no luck there then try the CAB as there are standards that private landlords must adhere to & I believe that you do have a legal right to withhold rent until things are sorted or even pay to get them sorted yourself & take the money from the rent...
Basically though, that is an entirely different topic: Why can landlords get away with filling a property with the crappiest (cheapest) furniture they can find & charge an inflated rent due the property being "furnished"? I do know that in some other countries that would be viewed as the landlord storing their furniture in your home which would mean a lower rent than if it was unfurnished.

Kodiak
07-Feb-12, 20:17
To become a charity in Scotland you must apply to OSCR (Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator) for charitable status.

You can search the OSCR Register at the link below :-

http://www.oscr.org.uk/search-charity-register/