PDA

View Full Version : Nurseries or Cemetery Grass!

Cattach
31-Oct-06, 08:43
See the councillors, or is it Richard Guest, saying that Nurseries must close to ensure Wick and Thurso can have weed free streets. David Flear wants cemeteries to have a good 'haircut' - is this grass on the dead being more important than the future generation? Also suggested grass cutting in some more open areas around towns and villages should be curtailed. It has been so poor in such areas this past year that there cannot be much saving there. On checking I find that other towns around the highlands sprayed weeds at an early stage this year but in Caithness we got all sorts of H and S excuses.
Apart from weeds I have never seen our Thurso streets so littered. We want to improve our ecomomy and yet the powers at be deter tourists with their neglect of our environment. If attractions like the Thurso River walk, and others around the county, are allowed to disappear due to non-replacement of the river bridge and the neglect of the river area less people will see the town and county as a worthwhile place to stop.

willowbankbear
31-Oct-06, 09:09
Its on another thread, but how come they can afford(allegedly)to give the councillors a pay off but no cut the grass? Surely somebody in the cooncil office is smoking grass, to try & pull the wool with that one.

As for weeds, kids are more important than certain cooncil officials(not all, I may add)so Kids over weeds every time. I wont be alone on this , Im sure

Mister Squiggle
31-Oct-06, 09:19
It's a bit hard to understand the "you can't expect to have public amenities AND decent nurseries" argument, when you consider how much council tax is paid. I also recall reading quite recently that a 2.5% increase is on the cards. It just makes me spit!

I know, I know, the powers that be will argue the funds are needed for all kinds of schemes and not enough money comes from Inverness etc etc, but perhaps we could channel some of the Councillors' retirement packages into keeping the grass down, rebuilding the foot bridges AND (gasp!) keeping our nurseries open.

Shocking idea, I know. Next thing you know, we'll be calling for a republic and building guillotines in Market Square.:) YEEHA!

Moby
31-Oct-06, 09:21
Hmmm.......Cllr Flear v the nurseries....already!

Maybe there could be a cost cutting exercise from the amount of expenses certain Councillors claim per annum.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4BBBAFAE-EBAC-4B02-98EF-6DF523928BEE/0/membersexpenses200405.pdf

They were looking to save around £35K earlier this year by closing 3 nurseries - Roughly the same amount as Cllr Flear's expenses.:roll:

Ricco
31-Oct-06, 10:28
If these Councellors are paid so well perhaps they should volunteer one day a week to go out and drive a grass cutter / hedge trimmer as part of their work for the community? Show some physical evidence that they are putting something into the community that elected them into their posts?:confused