PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules about sock puppets on this forum?

secrets in symmetry
12-Jan-12, 20:57
Does anyone know whether the management permit sock puppets on this forum? Before anyone asks...I've asked Bill Fernie by email a couple of times, but I didn't get a reply on either occasion.

Most forums have an "unwritten" rule that sock puppets aren't permitted, but very few state this explicitly in their published rules. This one is no exception in not displaying a formal policy on sock puppets.

I've noticed a number of pairs of sock puppets on this forum. Some (I think) follow the paradigm of "one for business use, one for private/non-serious use", which seems fine to me. However, there are one or two pairs that are clearly classic sock puppets - the puppet backs up the "original" poster when the former posts something contentious (or vice versa). Is this behaviour tolerated on this forum? If it is, then...fine - that's the prerogative of the forum owners and their moderation team - but I would like to know what the actual policy is.

For those who may be wondering how I recognise sock puppets....

I have run a large forum for a number of years (using vBulletin), and I know most of the tricks these people use. I was watching one on this forum last night - the "original" member logged on as soon as the puppet logged off. That probably means the two were using the same IP address, and would therefore be easily detectable by the admin.

ywindythesecond
12-Jan-12, 21:56
Does anyone know whether the management permit sock puppets on this forum? Before anyone asks...I've asked Bill Fernie by email a couple of times, but I didn't get a reply on either occasion.

Most forums have an "unwritten" rule that sock puppets aren't permitted, but very few state this explicitly in their published rules. This one is no exception in not displaying a formal policy on sock puppets.

I've noticed a number of pairs of sock puppets on this forum. Some (I think) follow the paradigm of "one for business use, one for private/non-serious use", which seems fine to me. However, there are one or two pairs that are clearly classic sock puppets - the puppet backs up the "original" poster when the former posts something contentious (or vice versa). Is this behaviour tolerated on this forum? If it is, then...fine - that's the prerogative of the forum owners and their moderation team - but I would like to know what the actual policy is.

For those who may be wondering how I recognise sock puppets....

I have run a large forum for a number of years (using vBulletin), and I know most of the tricks these people use. I was watching one on this forum last night - the "original" member logged on as soon as the puppet logged off. That probably means the two were using the same IP address, and would therefore be easily detectable by the admin.

Don't know what current rules are but some time ago my wife tried to register from the same computer as me and was rejected. Lots of houses have two computers so the rule is probably not enforceable. Wouldn't care to name and shame would you?

golach
12-Jan-12, 23:16
SiS, this is a bitty old but this was the rules a few years ago, not sure how you get over it.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?8095-Sock-Puppets-Multiple-Accounts-Shared-PCs-Amnesty&highlight=sock+puppets

Rheghead
12-Jan-12, 23:47
ok I confess, I'm Bekisman, fred, DrSzin, and squidge and I'm doingmynut :)

changilass
12-Jan-12, 23:51
SIS if you think folks are sock puppets just to reinforce thier own views then just report them, they can then be checked and if action needs to be taken I am sure Nial will oblige.

Moira
13-Jan-12, 00:23
Does anyone know whether the management permit sock puppets on this forum? Before anyone asks...I've asked Bill Fernie by email a couple of times, but I didn't get a reply on either occasion. <snip>

Maybe your best bet would be to email or PM Niall Fernie instead of Bill.

IIRC Bill claimed in a recent post that the site is paid for by advertising via Google. The real reason he can do whatever he wants because it's his ball, and he can kick yours into touch if you step over the line.

I still think it's a poor show on his part, and a poor show for a site that includes the word "Community" in its title.

Replace the name Bill with the name Niall and you'll be more accurate.

secrets in symmetry
14-Jan-12, 00:21
Thanks everyone for the information, and for the advice.

I assume the forum uses the same plugin as I do for detecting sock puppets. It's not difficult to get around this if you know what you're doing, but I won't explain how to do that because I don't want to encourage the pests! Hiding your IP address when serial posting is more difficult - the amateur sock puppets will always get caught out, and those who use proxies are just as easy to catch if you know what you're doing.

Moira, I emailed Bill before Niall posted his reply, and, anyway, I think I have my answer now. Thank you.

I won't name and shame the sock puppets in public. There are better ways of dealing with them - as every experienced forum admin knows.

I'm still trying to work out who doingmynut is! :cool:

Moira
14-Jan-12, 00:31
No problem, secrets in symmetry, you are welcome. Happy posting. :)

bekisman
14-Jan-12, 01:05
ok I confess, I'm Bekisman, fred, DrSzin, and squidge and I'm doingmynut :)
Oh no you're not, I'm Bekisman! (honest)

golach
14-Jan-12, 01:10
Oh no you're not, I'm Bekisman! (honest)
I am Bekisman!!

Tilly Teckel
14-Jan-12, 01:33
I am Bekisman!!

I'm Spartacus!

(sorry, feeling a bit left out...)

Mystical Potato Head
14-Jan-12, 11:09
However, there are one or two pairs that are clearly classic sock puppets - the puppet backs up the "original" poster when the former posts something contentious (or vice versa). Is this behaviour tolerated on this forum?

Yes i'm sure some have noticed certain pairs who agree on everything.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/shari-lewis.jpg

Corrie 3
14-Jan-12, 11:29
I am Bekisman!!
I am "Secrets-in-Cemetery".

C3...............:cool:;)

sorghaghtanibeki
14-Jan-12, 11:58
I am Bekisman!!
I am not старая дева I am his supruga so you must go away..!!

secrets in symmetry
14-Jan-12, 15:47
No problem, secrets in symmetry, you are welcome. Happy posting. :)Thanks Moira.

An interesting by-product of this sort of thread is that it changes the behaviour of sock puppets. Their login patterns and posting habits often change when they realise they might have been rumbled. :cool:

Crackeday
14-Jan-12, 16:14
Thanks Moira.

An interesting by-product of this sort of thread is that it changes the behaviour of sock puppets. Their login patterns and posting habits often change when they realise they might have been rumbled. :cool:
Im glad you have the time to monitor peoples log ins!!! I barely notice people coming or going on here :)

Alrock
14-Jan-12, 17:03
Of course, the easy way to avoid the login/out issue is to use multiple browsers.

DeHaviLand
14-Jan-12, 18:19
I am not старая дева I am his supruga so you must go away..!!

hello Mrs Bekisman, its been a while.

DeHaviLand
14-Jan-12, 18:21
I am "Secrets-in-Cemetery".

C3...............:cool:;)

I'd be more worried if you were Secretes-in-Cemetery

sorghaghtanibeki
14-Jan-12, 19:25
hello Mrs Bekisman, its been a while.пожалуйста!
I look and Fred is here not? there are little change, so many peoples, but still some the speak the rubbish I see!

My man works better the Org. I away to much in Eastland, more learn must I do.

bye

billmoseley
14-Jan-12, 19:36
i have some sock monkeys they travel the world with us