PDA

View Full Version : Home Birth?

ob1
12-Jan-12, 16:40
Hi just out of interest, has anybody had a home birth up here in the past 3 years, as I have not been able to arranging one for both of my pregancies due to staff shortages?

AliciaMackinnon
12-Jan-12, 19:06
I haven't had one but I'm planning one for my next pregnancy! Any info would be much appreciated! Btw I had a section with my first.not sure if I'd be aloud a home birth now!!! :(

poppett
12-Jan-12, 19:33
If you happen to go into labour and are at home if there are no complications then that is surely a "home birth" .... Seriously I hope you get what you want, but don`t hold your breath.

emszxr
12-Jan-12, 19:35
i asked about a home birth for my 2nd after my first being a section and was told not a chance. esp being over an hour away from a hospital. can see their point. may be different for different woman depending on their circumstances for section.

ob1
12-Jan-12, 21:10
Well I had asked for my first, and was told no but had a natural birth in hospital, with second got all the way to about 37 week then told I would have to go in to hospital again. Again I did have a natural birth, but I happen to be pregant again, I would really like to have a home birth this time.
I found out some info to help me achive this, I had been looking at birth video online on 'my birth tv', and came across someone who was told they would not be able to have a home birth as they are high risk, but contary to that she had a home birth and she mentioned she had support from an association called AIMS which helped her to achive it, so I search and had a look and it gives loads of advice an info needed to be able to get a home birth if the midwives are not to helpful.
Also if you have had a section, have a look at 'my birth tv' there are some women on there that have had a home birth. hope this helps.

billmoseley
12-Jan-12, 21:35
i would never have one to scared and i'm a man lololol

squidge
12-Jan-12, 21:49
I briefly explored the option of a home birth until my husband turned white and had to have a sit down. I was also told it was unlikely as I was 43 and a fat lady even though I had three easy natural lovely births in hospital previously. As it turned out the wee man was very distressed and we needed an emergency section. I was quite glad I had gone to hospital and opted for an elective section when at 45 I had my wee girl. Despite that there is part of me that wishes I had had the opportunity to have a home birth - it would have been a lovely thing to do. Not much chance of that now despite the fact that my husband describes me as "ever Hopeful" I rather think I am past it!

Anyhow I think your have a "right" to request a home birth but staff shortages are a fact of life in the Highlands. If you are flush then maybe you could hire a private midwife - way out of my pocket but you never know. I wish you luck and I would be really interested to know how you get on.

Carole
12-Jan-12, 21:56
I briefly explored the option of a home birth until my husband turned white .............

When living in Kintyre I also explored the possibility but it was the midwife who turned white. As it happened, baby decided to arrive early and we were flown to Southern General instead.

cptdodger
12-Jan-12, 23:34
I had a home birth with my third child, not through choice because I was high risk, believe it or not I did'nt realise I was in labour, as all the pain was in my back. At this point, my husband was collecting my two older children from school, so I was on my own. The first midwife turned up at 10 to 4, second one at 4pm, they turned my living room into what resembled an operating theatre. My son was born at 4.22pm with the cord wrapped round his neck, but thankfuly he was fine. I then proceeded to go into shock, it was about 30 degrees outside (this was in Kent in the summer) and they were wrapping me in duvets!!. When I had my fourth child, the midwife turned up and said I could have my daughter at home if I wanted to, but I refused. Although I only lived 10 mins away from the hospital at the time, I decided it was'nt worth it, there is so much that can go wrong, and quickly go wrong, I decided not to take the risk. I really do'nt like hospitals, but they are the safest place to be when giving birth.

mums angels
13-Jan-12, 10:34
I had a planned home birth in Thurso 3 and half years ago and as far as I'm aware it was one of the last planned ones as they didn't have the staff . For a home birth you need to have 2 midwifes on constant call for almost 2 weeks . We debated for along time over to have one or not but since I had had 3 children's prior with no birthing problems , very quick labours and 3 other kids at home to get sitters for we didn't think we would make it to the hospital anyway - turns out we would have been right . We were given all the equipment that they would have at the hospital 10 days before the due date and if I needed an emergency section that would be put into action whilst we would be on our way to wick anyway so id probably still be there before a section was ready so all that put my mind at rest . I found a home birth much less painful , was more relaxed and most defiantly a very special experience . I just wish I'd been brave enough to have asked with the other 3 . My daughter was born quick so only one midwife made it through which was nice as I knew Rona very well through previous pregnancies , I felt comfortable with her , it was much easier than when I'd delivererd I'm the past with midwives I'd just met . My other kids were delighted when the woke in the morning to find there sister in her crib .

If a homebirth is a planned one then they do account for all possibilities , and from experience the hospital is not always the best place to have a baby . It really all depends on how planned it is and how happy you are with yor decision and of course your past history . I probably wouldnt recommend one for a first child

Sun Circle
13-Jan-12, 15:00
Hi,

I had a planned home birth in Castletown with my wee boy who is now 22 months - they had staff shortages then too, but the community midwives were very accommodating and really did their best to help. In the end they gave me a timetable of hours when they could attend a home birth and the hours when they couldn't - eg if I went into labour on Tuesday morning that would be OK, Tuesday evening would have to be hospital, Wednedsay 9-5 Home, Wednesday overnight hospital... etc, etc.

It kept on changing depending on the staffing situation, but with incredible luck and every trick in the book I was lucky enough to go into labour at 6am on the one overnight slot that was available. My baby was born at 9:30am with no need for any drugs, not even gas - it was the best ever experience of my life.

I truly believe that because you are so much more relaxed at home and don't need to worry about travelling during labour it is easier to have a wonderful birth experience than the stress of going to hospital. I would recommend Ina May Gaskin's book "Guide to Childbirth" which is a fantastic book to build confidence in your own ability to birth naturally, whether in hospital or at home.

I had my first son at home too, but that was Fife six years ago and staffing was not an issue there.

Good luck - private mail me if you want to chat. I'd also recommend getting in touch with Mary Burnside who is the lead midwife for the north CHP and she organises all the staffing issues. She is very supportive of home birth, although staffing can be a stumbling block. I'd be happy to help campaign for your right to home-birth in Caithness - Mary is definitely the best starting point to get things changed if you are not happy with the service you are getting.

Good luck!

Southern-Gal
13-Jan-12, 17:35
We are in Lancashire and my sister had a home birth until the baby was in massive distress, couldnt be delivered then had to be rushed to hospital waking all the family up in the process to look after the other little one :(
With all the mod cons in hospital and all the risks involved I wouldnt even consider it for me or my baby! I cant see the attraction at all, let the hospital have all the mess to clear up and take advantage of all the painkillers and staff on offer I say.
And thats without being in a really remote part of the world where a hospital is a long way away. Each minute you cant get there is another minute closer to a baby ending up brain damaged or with other defects that can be avoided. Plus I dont like pain either!

Corrie 3
13-Jan-12, 18:09
My Son was born at home but what a stressful time for all, he got stuck halfway and a Doctor had to be called to assist the 2 Midwives. He was big mind you and the Doctor said he didnt need a bottle but roast beef and Yorkshire puds.
I also remember having to fork out for a new mattress and having to dig a hole to bury the afterbirth.....If you ask my advice, well it's hospital everytime!!!!

C3...............:roll::roll::roll:

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-12, 20:05
I have never considered a home birth for any of my children although I have a friend who did have a home birth. My first three deliveries were fine no problems however my last two were a nightmare the fourth labour ended up in me having an emergency c section almost six weeks early. You can never tell how things are going to go.

Good luck tot you in your wish to have a home delivery I hope staffing levels allow this if this is your wish.

Sun Circle
13-Jan-12, 21:41
We are in Lancashire and my sister had a home birth until the baby was in massive distress, couldnt be delivered then had to be rushed to hospital waking all the family up in the process to look after the other little one :(
With all the mod cons in hospital and all the risks involved I wouldnt even consider it for me or my baby! I cant see the attraction at all, let the hospital have all the mess to clear up and take advantage of all the painkillers and staff on offer I say.
And thats without being in a really remote part of the world where a hospital is a long way away. Each minute you cant get there is another minute closer to a baby ending up brain damaged or with other defects that can be avoided. Plus I dont like pain either!

That's the trouble up here - Inverness is too far away - Henderson Unit in Wick needs to be able to cope with any eventuality. It needs the staff and it needs the equipment. When I was due to give birth they were so short staffed they threatened to have to close Wick for a couple of days. Now, Inverness is 2 and a half hours away in a fast car, much longer if you have to muster and ambulance and staff before the journey. Many mothers labour for less than 3 hours, especially if its not their first baby. I guess you saw the story in November about Lee MacPhee who had her 7th baby on the A9 after being transferred from Wick due to being "high-risk". NHS Highland was lucky that the complications never materialised or she could have bled to death in the ambulance. We really need a maternity service in Caithness that can deal with complications, otherwise high-risk women are being put at even higher risk by being told that they must travel to Inverness whilst in labour.

I was 20 minutes away from Kirkcaldy hospital when I had a home birth in Dunfermline, and I was 20 minutes away from Wick when I had a home birth in Castletown. So we are not really any more remote here than in the Central Belt. I have confidence that Henderson Unit in Wick has all the necessary facilities to stabilise a mother and baby - if that is not the case then there should be serious questions being asked about why our facilities are being eroded to the point of endangering mothers and babies.

Personally I'd rather take my chances and have a home birth with attending midwives and all the necessary equipment than give birth in a layby on the back seat of a car on the way to Inverness.

Sun Circle
13-Jan-12, 21:52
My Son was born at home but what a stressful time for all, he got stuck halfway and a Doctor had to be called to assist the 2 Midwives. He was big mind you and the Doctor said he didnt need a bottle but roast beef and Yorkshire puds.
I also remember having to fork out for a new mattress and having to dig a hole to bury the afterbirth.....If you ask my advice, well it's hospital everytime!!!!

C3...............:roll::roll::roll:

Maybe I've been lucky, but for both my home-births the midwives were magnificent and cleaned everything up so it was spotless. My hubby put the sheets on to wash, but they have those disposable bed mats over everything so the sheets washed fine. We did have a waterproof cover on the matress as a precaution - only sensible - but I don't think it was even necessary.

And of course the midwives took the placenta away and disposed of it as clinical waste - surely environmental health would have a thing or two to say about burying it in your garden! I never even saw the afterbirths, the midwives took care of it all, I only had eyes for my babies by that stage!

For anyone hoping to have a home-birth in Caithness - I don't think you'll have to worry about any mess, the community midwives here are great and do a fantastic job.

Southern-Gal
14-Jan-12, 17:37
Do none of the earth hugging home birth types not want to munch their way through their afterbirths then?

Corrie 3
14-Jan-12, 17:47
Maybe I've been lucky, but for both my home-births the midwives were magnificent and cleaned everything up so it was spotless. My hubby put the sheets on to wash, but they have those disposable bed mats over everything so the sheets washed fine. We did have a waterproof cover on the matress as a precaution - only sensible - but I don't think it was even necessary.

And of course the midwives took the placenta away and disposed of it as clinical waste - surely environmental health would have a thing or two to say about burying it in your garden! I never even saw the afterbirths, the midwives took care of it all, I only had eyes for my babies by that stage!

For anyone hoping to have a home-birth in Caithness - I don't think you'll have to worry about any mess, the community midwives here are great and do a fantastic job.
How things have changed, I am talking about 1971 when you didnt have a choice. All 2nd and subsequent babies were born at home unless there were problems with the first! But of course in those days they had loads of midwives. As regard the afterbirth, I was given a choice, burn it or bury it! This is in the days before recycling or it could have gone in the blue bin...lol (only joking)!!
My advice Ladies..have your babies in hospital !!

C3...................:roll:;)

Sun Circle
14-Jan-12, 19:21
How things have changed, I am talking about 1971 when you didnt have a choice. All 2nd and subsequent babies were born at home unless there were problems with the first! But of course in those days they had loads of midwives. As regard the afterbirth, I was given a choice, burn it or bury it! This is in the days before recycling or it could have gone in the blue bin...lol (only joking)!!
My advice Ladies..have your babies in hospital !!

C3...................:roll:;)

Ah, those were the good old days - I was born in the Dunbar Hospital in Thurso in the seventies... when it closed all the new babies were born Wickers! Now mums are lucky if they have a Caithness baby at all - more than 1/3 of Caithness mums are recommended to go to Inverness rather than Wick. How 1/3 of mums can be high-risk is beyond me!?!

At this rate it won't be long before everyone is giving birth in state-of-the-art ambulances on the A9 with a midwife videoconferencing in from Raigmore! ;)

How things have changed... not all of them for the better!

Koi
15-Jan-12, 12:51
I know a woman who had home births with her 3 as she hasa terrible phobia of hospitals and can't be in one for more than an hour. The midwives were understanding and allowed her to have her low risk babies at home as there was no way she was going to the hopsital. Her phobia is really bad and she faints and has major panic attacks. not the best thing to be feeling and doing when having a baby!! Anyway she was fine and was much happier at home.
I had my son in wick hospital and he came really quickly, only made it to the hopsital and no more and he is my first. I'd much prefer to have other babies at home or in wick as a last resort.

lisagrace
18-Jan-12, 22:56
I had a terrible experience with Wick hospital when I had my second baby, my waters broke at 33 weeks and the community midwife sent me through there for assessment. One midwife treated me like dirt and basically said I should not of come as there was no way they could deal with it. I was told to get myself to Raigmore immediately as I was about to go into labour (apparently) however I was told that despite it being an 'emergency' I could not get an ambulance as there were only two in the county that day. I think if I had of gone into labour in the car my baby would of died as when he was born he wasn't breathing and had to be ventilated. However it turned out my labour didn't start til 35 weeks and I was in the fantastic care of Raigmore for 2 weeks. Incidently when I arrived in the maternity ward I met a girl from Wick who had just arrived in one of the 'two' ambulances for a routine induction because she was overdue! I wouldn't trust wick to deal with emergencies and if i have any other babies I will be opting to have them in Raigmore. Likewise if the threat of closure arises again I think I would possibly support it and put the resources into the ambulance service.
Sorry I know this post is about home births and i've gone off subject but my feeling is that I would have babies in a hospital as you never know what is going to happen.

ob1
29-May-12, 17:11
Hi just to update you guys, I did have a home birth, It went really well, although the midwives didn't make it, as we were caught a bit by suprise. Thanks to the people who responed to my post. The midwives, were very helpful, and supportive for the Homebirth.

buzzard
31-May-12, 10:03
Congratulations!!! Thanks for the update, and good to hear that the midwifes were supportive! I'm also planning a home birth here in Caithness. I had my first child at home in Aberdeenshire without any problems, very good midwife support there.