PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing Flagstone

octane
30-Oct-06, 20:24
Evenin folks, what can i use to degrease my flagstone path because its as slippy as hell. I was thinking of boiling water and bleach but im not to sure. I need to get it done cause im no wanting the bairns to slip on it, and me for that matter!!

George Brims
30-Oct-06, 20:32
Try using laundry detergent (powder style not those wee tablets!). I know that works for taking car oil off a concrete driveway. Sprinkle it on when the flags are slightly damp
and let it sit for a while. Needless to say, don't walk on it until you've rinsed it off or the rain has done the job for you.

Buttercup
30-Oct-06, 20:38
Don't have flagstone myself but I used Cillit Bang (out of desperation) on a concrete path and it came up super. Sprayed it on and left it till I came home from work. Scrubbed it with hot water then sprayed it with bleach and left it to dry. That was about 4-5 weks ago and it's still lovely and clear. I did buy weed killer for it but it needs a couple of dry days after applying and there's no chance of that! :roll: Someone has since told me that Jeyes Fluid is supposed to be good.

Rheghead
30-Oct-06, 21:05
Caustic soda or a boiler chemical called trisodium phosphate will remove grease. You could try a solvent like turps or white spirit but it will just disperse the grease to a stain.

If it is algae that has made your flagstone greasey then there are commercial path cleaning detergents or a jetwash is what I use.

jacktar
30-Oct-06, 21:14
whatI found the best was Slime buster from caithness chemicals.

unicorn
30-Oct-06, 21:25
I used washing powder and bleach mix

octane
30-Oct-06, 21:28
cheers for the ideas folks, i used a bucket of boiling water with a bottle of cillit bang and two scoops of washing powder. Used a hard bristled brush and it all seems to have done the trick for now.

It seems to be algae thats on the path, ill buy a pressure washer it'll come in handy.

captain chaos
31-Oct-06, 11:37
After having tried many different chemical mixes on our flagstone path the easiest and cheapest I have found is, Lidl 4 litre bleach (about 99p for the big white plastic container)

Have tried various other makes of bleach but none as good at cleaning the path.

Just glug it onto the path when its wet and a quick brush over with a stiff bristle broom and leave to work, being lazy and having a lot of flag path I usually let the rain wash it away!.

Cleans the slippery algae no prob.

Just remember to be careful with the bleach or your trousers and shoes will stain

clash67
31-Oct-06, 13:40
Evenin folks, what can i use to degrease my flagstone path because its as slippy as hell. I was thinking of boiling water and bleach but im not to sure. I need to get it done cause im no wanting the bairns to slip on it, and me for that matter!!

You can't beat the power washer. Removes every trace of lime build up.