PDA

View Full Version : Scots Independence Poll

ducati
11-Jan-12, 08:55
Lots of interest and threads now, so, as some don't trust Alex the Fish's polls, let's have our
own.

The simplest of questions and use the comments to describe your demographic if you like.

Catagories:

Fully paid up, red bearded, claymore wealding, kilt wearing Scotsman/woman

Wishy washy Scotsman/woman who rarely wears the kilt and only with boxers or Y fronts

Incomer

RecQuery
11-Jan-12, 09:12
Shouldn't you have three options, one for more parliamentry powers? I'm for full independence anyway, but I'm just saying.

ducati
11-Jan-12, 09:14
Shouldn't you have three options, one for more parliamentry powers? I'm for full independence anyway, but I'm just saying.

Yes, but this is just reflecting the Orgers current mood from the discussions going on now.

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 09:44
Two options is the best test, there may be some who would like to see the current assembly dissolved, why cloud the issue?

tonkatojo
11-Jan-12, 10:17
I voted out as I am sick n tired of the issue, My heart says the opposite but the issue will be the same next year if ii wins (my heart).

squidge
11-Jan-12, 11:58
I voted out just now but i am far from committed to this decision. I have more, much more work to do on this. My status...... Incomer. The rest of my household looks like this

Husband- Fully paid up, red bearded, claymore wealding, kilt wearing Scotsman definitely out , in fact spent last night running round the house in his kilt baying for the blood of englishmen!

21 year old son- Interested, opinionated but not well informed
.....yet.

16 year old son- absolutely IN. IN IN IN. Spectacularly sneering at the
possibility of independance and has cultivated a frightfully so english
accent.

22 year old son - Oh is there going to be a referendum?

The above is a slight exaggeration but it might mean an interesting
couple of years at the Dinner Table.

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 12:46
Ok, close the poll now. Out is ahead by 16 - 15. Thats it, we're outta here! Oh wait, have any 16 year olds voted? Or any over 60's?

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 13:04
At least 16 mentally challenged have;-)

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 13:10

Typical unionist. No real argument, so resort to abuse. :)

tonkatojo
11-Jan-12, 13:13

Steady lad, some are fed up with this subject coming to the fore every few years, lets get it over with and abide by the decision In or Out. And this is from 62 year old DeHaviland that has lived in Scotland 40% of his life the remainder in England.

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 13:13
Gies a break DeHavnotaLand, twas only my attempt at humour ;-)

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 13:26
Gies a break DeHavnotaLand, twas only my attempt at humour ;-)

So you failed to see my smiley?

Oh, and we're winning 19 - 16. Give up yet?

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 13:40
My blinkers got in the way, surrender? NEVER!

ducati
11-Jan-12, 13:51
Ok, close the poll now. Out is ahead by 16 - 15. Thats it, we're outta here! Oh wait, have any 16 year olds voted? Or any over 60's?

Whoops!I intended to put a timer on. I'll close the poll soon, probably Friday to give everyone interested the chance to vote. It's a close call now though, I wonder what sort of majority will be needed in the real thing to constitute a result?

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 13:52
........ surrender? NEVER!

Oh no, here we go with the religious overtones ;)

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 13:58
Think you are confusing politics and religion!

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:21
24 - 18! Can all the non-Scots please have their passports ready for inspection ;)

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:23
Whoops!I intended to put a timer on. I'll close the poll soon, probably Friday to give everyone interested the chance to vote. It's a close call now though, I wonder what sort of majority will be needed in the real thing to constitute a result?

Courting controversy Ducati? If we wish to consider ourselves a Democracy, then a simple majority is sufficient.

golach
11-Jan-12, 14:28
24 - 18! Can all the non-Scots please have their passports ready for inspection ;)

Oh no, not another cost, a new Scottish Passport, Driving License, will the costs never end? Who will pay for the Scottish NHS? [disgust]

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:30
Oh no, not another cost, a new Scottish Passport, Driving License, will the costs never end? Who will pay for the Scottish NHS? [disgust]

Its ok Golach. In my Utopian Independent Scotland, everything is free. Go on, fill your boots laddie, you know it makes sense.

golach
11-Jan-12, 14:34
Its ok Golach. In my Utopian Independent Scotland, everything is free. Go on, fill your boots laddie, you know it makes sense.
I worked for the UK Government, hope they will continue to pay my massive Civil Service Pension.

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 14:35

DeHaviland = Alex Salmond!

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:36
I worked for the UK Government, hope they will continue to pay my massive Civil Service Pension.

In a society where everything is free, why would you need a pension?

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:37
DeHaviland = Alex Salmond!

Damn, caught out!

golach
11-Jan-12, 14:40
In a society where everything is free, why would you need a pension?

Because I worked long and hard for it, in this Utopia will Cannabis and heroin and ither drugs be free also?

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 14:49
Because I worked long and hard for it, in this Utopia will Cannabis and heroin and ither drugs be free also?

If thats what it takes to make you happy Golach, I can arrange that for you. And there was me thinking that you were dead set against drugs. Trix has obviously made you see the error of your ways.

ducati
11-Jan-12, 14:58
Courting controversy Ducati? If we wish to consider ourselves a Democracy, then a simple majority is sufficient.

Sorry, didn't mean to. Just wondering out loud.

If, as typical, at least 30% abstain and of the other 70%, 49% vote one way and 51% the other is that a result?

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 15:17
Sorry, didn't mean to. Just wondering out loud.

If, as typical, at least 30% abstain and of the other 70%, 49% vote one way and 51% the other is that a result?

Of course it is. Thats how democracies work. If the vote was 51% against a split, I'd have to accept that, so it has to work the other way too. Unless we're going to go down the road of forcing everyone to vote, then you have to accept the will of those who vote voluntarily.

ducati
11-Jan-12, 18:00
Of course it is. Thats how democracies work. If the vote was 51% against a split, I'd have to accept that, so it has to work the other way too. Unless we're going to go down the road of forcing everyone to vote, then you have to accept the will of those who vote voluntarily.

Bang on 50/50 now :eek:

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 18:03
50/50 is what I would have expected Ducati. And I think it will still be close to 50/50 when the referendum is held.

scotsboy
11-Jan-12, 18:18
65 for UK
35 for independence, best you could hope for.

golach
11-Jan-12, 19:54
Trix has obviously made you see the error of your ways.

Aye Right!!!! Me listen till a self confessed junkie, that will be the day, I would rather lie in the same bed as Fat Eck!!!!! [lol]

But that may be the Scot Nats next ploy to get votes, free drugs for all school bairns over 12. Who knows.

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 20:00
Aye Right!!!! Me listen till a self confessed junkie, that will be the day, I would rather lie in the same bed as Fat Eck!!!!! [lol]

But that may be the Scot Nats next ploy to get votes, free drugs for all school bairns over 12. Who knows.

I hope you're sure of your facts there Golach. That seems like a very damning statement!

tonkatojo
11-Jan-12, 20:23
I hope you're sure of your facts there Golach. That seems like a very damning statement!

Read his post "Golach" again he has not stated one fact to be damned for, is this another see you in court type thing.

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 20:34
Read his post "Golach" again he has not stated one fact to be damned for, is this another see you in court type thing.

He has called another forum member " a self confessed junkie". Thats the fact that I think he should check. Where does the court come in?

tonkatojo
11-Jan-12, 20:39
He has called another forum member " a self confessed junkie". Thats the fact that I think he should check. Where does the court come in?

I have not read a name in that post, an other thread was making " a sure of facts type of damning " threat not sure of the poster now there are that many threads on the same subject to read.

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-12, 21:10
I have not read a name in that post, an other thread was making " a sure of facts type of damning " threat not sure of the poster now there are that many threads on the same subject to read.

Read the whole bloody thread man, or I'll be forced into calling you a pedant.

bekisman
11-Jan-12, 21:34
I don't think the question is whether or not Scotland could sustain itself financially, the question is how hamstrung we are with the policies that are currently foisted upon us.

You don't have to look far to find examples like Denmark and Ireland, we can follow suit.

Things change!...
(Boozeburglar. Scottish Independence Thread 2007)

redeyedtreefrog
11-Jan-12, 21:49
I'd like to know enough about this to be able to make an informed decision.. Does anyone have any links to relatively unbiased information handy?

tonkatojo
11-Jan-12, 21:57
Read the whole bloody thread man, or I'll be forced into calling you a pedant.

Call me what you want man, personally I don't give a toss what I'm called I left the play ground behind me decades ago.

Rheghead
11-Jan-12, 23:48
Too many independence threads going on but...

Any separatist voter must be heartened with this result despite that just 55% of a microcosm website's community (which incidentally has largely benefited from UK-driven energy and defence policies) seems to want to stay in the Union.

Birons
12-Jan-12, 00:20
I had a reporter come calling on all the shops in Wick yesterday and he was asking for quotes and opinions on the "in or out" saga.:eek:

I told him that I didn't think I was intelligent enough to give him a well informed answer, and he left very quickly.:confused

I hope he doesn't quote me on that.;)

trix
12-Jan-12, 02:14
I worked for the UK Government. as a pretend policeman!! :roll:

Aye Right!!!! Me listen till a self confessed junkie, that will be the day, I would rather lie in the same bed as Fat Eck!!!!!

what??? ye cana say 'at!! :eek:

a "self confessed junkie" - ye need til check yersel dude...i think 'at mite be libel even, goin til hev til speak til ma lawyer friend aboot ye, golach!

what is'ed wi' ye? yer always speakin aboot me lately....he's golly got a wee crushy, i wonder? do ye think aboot me all 'e time, golach?

an' who the hell is fat eck?? is 'at no oer wullie's pal? 'e little gadgie? a little boy golach? 'ats a bit much....! :confused

golach
12-Jan-12, 11:20
what??? ye cana say 'at!! :eek: a "self confessed junkie" - ye need til check yersel dude...i think 'at mite be libel even, goin til hev til speak til ma lawyer friend aboot ye, golach!
what is'ed wi' ye? yer always speakin aboot me lately....he's golly got a wee crushy, i wonder? do ye think aboot me all 'e time, golach?
Trix, I do apologise about my choice of words, I take back the term "junkie" and can I replace it with the term " advocate of the use of Cannabis".
As for having a crush on you, I have told you before, I am fed up, not hard up!!!! And Oor Wullie's pal is Fat Boab!!

PantsMAN
12-Jan-12, 11:36
Why is it that a proportion of the 'contributors' to any thread can only manage to denigrate each other while adding nothing to the topic in question?

Should we request a sticky called 'I can't stand you cause you're white/black/English/Scottish/tall/small/thin/fat/clever/stupid', then all other threads might actually consist of decent debate.

'Cause this personal nonsense is really tedious.

pmcd
12-Jan-12, 16:17
Can't help noticing there's quite a gap in this poll, and this after the Buffoon of Brigadoon has pleased the baser instincts of his electorate by raising spectres of Bannockburn, the ever hated "toff tory boy" attempting to "dictate" (UK law, actually") to the not- too- much -longer -to -be oppressed citizens of Neverendum Land, and the spectre of Perfidious Albion trying to short-change Caledonia of more than a few groats having ravished her for nearly a millenium........

Before the "local" opposition had a chance to get a word in edgeways.

Which they now have. Eye-wateringly, crunchingly, grounded and solid - making the Buffoon's posturings look positively Pictish. Woad and willie-waving all round!

First on stage, the redoubtable Johann Lamont. Four square, no-nonsense, takes no prisoners. Cold, forensic, incisive - no flouncing for her. She casts a steely eye upon the Squidgy Porage-Gobbler and warns thus:

Scotland, she says, has "a responsibility to ensure that no-one can question that the referendum is fair and free, and, whatever happens, we accept the result." There will be more to come from this lady.

Even the Tories, who are up there with the Banshee in terms of folk popularity, fielded a self-assured Ruth Davidson, who gave her own Cassandrine warning "The ground upon which the debate will range (is) not whether Scotland CAN be independent, but whether it would be better off alone."

But, surprisingly, the "quote of note" goes to Will Rennie of the Lib Dems "The SNP's mandate is for a referendum: let's remember it is NOT for independence."

REF "Ad Hominem" remarks - accusations of ad hominem tend (I've noticed through this forum) tend to be proferred, rather like "point of order!" interruptions in Parliament and the worst-run councils, by people who would rather engage in protocol than progress.

ducati
13-Jan-12, 09:35
Well, that is 99 votes in and a majority of 54 and a halfish % in favour of remaining in the UK.

Pretty convincing :lol: and a very representative sample.

I'll send the results to Alex and Dave and they can forget the whole thing, save us a fortune.

I'll close the poll about midday to give any slackers a chance to vote.