PDA

View Full Version : school uniforms!!!

danc1ngwitch
30-Oct-06, 18:22
maybe teachers should wear a uniform too... after all maybe we are secretly teaching our children double standards ( rolls eyes ). Its like saying to my boy as he strolls along the corridor " cough, cough take that hat of " but a few minutes before a teacher strolled along the corridor wearing a similar hat and he/ she never got pulled up... Tut, Tut.
Ah just a thought,

Piglet
30-Oct-06, 18:26
Agree with you there. If pupils are suppost to be wearing a uniform teachers should have to were them aswell.

brandy
30-Oct-06, 20:39
i thought teachers would have had a dress code?
dont know thought just assumed!

Piglet
30-Oct-06, 20:43
Nah they can turn up in jeans if they want.

unicorn
30-Oct-06, 21:45
why on earth should teachers have to wear uniforms, they should be in a position of respect and not lowered to the same level as the children they teach, there are enough problems with disrespecting elders without making the children and adults in schools on the same level surely.

brandy
30-Oct-06, 21:48
not uniforms exactly.. just dressing as suits a teachers position i would have thought.
i may be showing my age.. umm still in my 20's hanging on with nailed dug in though!
but our teachers were well dressed in buisness casual... never jeans and tees.. and never ever hats or caps in a building!
but then again.. if a guy wore a hat indoors where im from.. some matron might just slap it off with her hand upside the back of his head *grins*

danc1ngwitch
30-Oct-06, 22:32
why on earth should teachers have to wear uniforms, they should be in a position of respect and not lowered to the same level as the children they teach, there are enough problems with disrespecting elders without making the children and adults in schools on the same level surely.

A word springs to mind, let me see ( illiberal ).. Not lowered to the same level.. wow these children are our future and they are lower.. ops i better hush afore i offend.. monkey see monkey do.. ..

Piglet
30-Oct-06, 22:50

Have to agree with you on this one danc1ingwitch.

These kids are our future - they should not be told or made to believe that they are lower than teachers or any other person. If the children ar brought up properly they will know to respect there elders.

Teachers can turn up in whatever they want to wear but the pupils have to adhear to a dress code surely the kids should have to lead by example.
Why should they be made to wear a uniform if the teachers can wear what they like.

I am all for uniforms for kids but i think the teachers should have a similar dress code - i don't expect them to wear the same uniform!

Ok rant over. Sorry if i have offended but this is my opinion. :roll:

Tristan
30-Oct-06, 22:52
[QUOTE=danc1ngwitch;153860]A word springs to mind, let me see ( illiberal ).. Not lowered to the same level.. wow these children are our future and they are lower.. ops i better hush afore i offend.. monkey see monkey do.. .. [/QUOTE

They spend around 5 hours a day under the care of the school the rest of the time under the care of their home. If there is a problem of monkey see monkey do it is obvious where the most influence lies.

Teachers do not need to wear a school uniform to be smart and professional. In all factions of society different people have different uniforms and dress standards that suit their intended purpose. Schools are no different.

elaine
31-Oct-06, 01:05
As far as I can see teachers dress smartly (it's an unspoken rule!).

Personally, I would LOVE it if we had a uniform - it would save a whole lot of time and money!!

Anything but a cape...................on second thoughts, bring on the capes! Long swishy ones! YEAH!

Scaraben1976
31-Oct-06, 01:39
I was actually having a similar conversation with a friend, who is a primary teacher from one of the Wick schools, and she think that teachers should have a dress code.

She remembers when she first started teaching, the feeling she got was that if females didn't wear a skirt, it was very frowned upon by the headteacher. Even know she wears a shirt or top in school colours and a pair of dress trousers. The only days she waers different is last day of term, sports day and other days of those kind.

Even whe I was at school (and that ain't all that long ago, teachers generally wore "business dress" as it were, the only exemptions being the art teachers and one or two of the science teachers.

JAWS
31-Oct-06, 02:18
It sounds like things have started to come full circle. When I was at school I don't think a teacher would have dreamed about turning up other than being dressed fairly smartly and the pupils too.

When My sons went to secondary school I was horrified to see how scruffy some of the pupils in their last year were allowed to dress. Then I discovered, to my horror, those were some of the teachers. (It was the modern trend, you see).

It would seem now that teachers are becoming expected once again to set an example for the pupils instead of pretending to be "One of the Boys".

I accept that things change, but for a time they certainly didn't change for the better. Hopefully that situation is once again being reversed.

Jeid
31-Oct-06, 02:58
Have to agree with you on this one danc1ingwitch.

These kids are our future - they should not be told or made to believe that they are lower than teachers or any other person. If the children ar brought up properly they will know to respect there elders.

Is it just me, or is this a contradiction? It could be me, it is late.

The way I see it is, kids respect people who respect them. I think that works for people of all ages. There's nothing worse than people belittling you because they think they are older and deserve more respect. People should be treated equally as far as I'm concerned.

Piglet
31-Oct-06, 08:46
Is it just me, or is this a contradiction? It could be me, it is late.

The way I see it is, kids respect people who respect them. I think that works for people of all ages. There's nothing worse than people belittling you because they think they are older and deserve more respect. People should be treated equally as far as I'm concerned.

Well yes Jeid i do agree children well everyone should respect everyone else not just those older than them.

Fraser Macleod
31-Oct-06, 09:19
As a school student I agree with Piglet and Jeid, its important for the pupils, especially older students in high schools, to be respected by their teachers and to respect the teachers in turn; it sends a very negative message to young adults if they feel like they're being treated as children because they're made to dress in a uniform when the adults that teach them are allowed to wear what they want. If you think its disrespectful to make teachers wear a uniform then maybe you should also consider its wrong and direspectful to put students in uniforms.

henry20
31-Oct-06, 09:37
I like the idea of school uniforms and we tried to bring them in when we were at school - although ours was going to be relatively casual - rugby tops and smart trousers. As I can understand it, the kids are able to put their own slant to it - or it certainly looks that way when they are down the street. I don't think its got anything to do with making them feel inferior to teachers. Seeing kids nowadays (and wasn't that much different in my day) they expect the latest jeans/tops/trainers/designer wear and I personally feel that having school uniforms will take a lot of pressure off parents to provide them with the latest trend.

Ricco
31-Oct-06, 10:23
Dress code for teachers depends very much on the school and the district. In most schools staff are expected to dress as if for the office (mind you, THAT has slipped these days!) but there is a disparity between male and female staff. At my school men are expected to wear suit and tie, except PE staff, but the women can wear just about anything as long as its decent.

The 'uniform' is based on smart business apparel. The uniform for children is something designed to identify the school they go to and (hopefully) be hard-wearing value for money. What is demeaning about school uniform? The children could always be asked to wear suitable business apparel as well - expensive and not so long lasting considering the janks that kids get up to.

The point, I think, is that pupils and staff alike should not be given the opportunity to dress however they please - just like it is in the business world. Can you picture the same youngster truning up to work in a hoodey, slashed jeans, fashion trainers and sporting piercing? I didn't think so. ;)

Shadow
31-Oct-06, 10:37
I think that the teachers should have to wear uniform aswell, as one of the reasons for introducing the uniform was to show pupils how they're expected to dress for work and by the teachers not wearing a uniform of any sort, it makes the pupils less likely to think thats how they're expected to dress.
And another thing, the uniform was introduced to make the school look smarter, but the teachers coming to school in whatever lowers how good the school looks.

Ricco
31-Oct-06, 10:40
I think that the teachers should have to wear uniform aswell, as one of the reasons for introducing the uniform was to show pupils how they're expected to dress for work and by the teachers not wearing a uniform of any sort, it makes the pupils less likely to think thats how they're expected to dress.
And another thing, the uniform was introduced to make the school look smarter, but the teachers coming to school in whatever lowers how good the school looks.

I quite agree with you Shadow. Some schools have let their staff standards slip. See my post above.

Sandra_B
31-Oct-06, 11:49
I was recently back in Thurso and saw pupils leaving the high school at lunch time and have to say I think the uniform is a joke. They were not neat and tidy in any way, every one was just wearing black...it looked like a funeral.

I don't think teachers should have to wear a uniform.

danc1ngwitch
31-Oct-06, 12:22
Black can be very elegant, My 14 year old girl said she feels like when they go down the street they look like a pack oh penguins...lol... They are allowed to wear red to, but it has been limited now. Rules are rules! My children will abide by the rules but i know that there are teachers who wear jeans...This then causes the children to say oh this is not fair... We no matter how young are individual and some children may Play with the uniform. Ah just a thought thats all...

wifie
31-Oct-06, 17:42
Have to say teachers at my local school are always reasonably smart. I thing it sets an example. Jeans are too casual. Uniform for the children is a great idea especially when they are on trips, etc as they are much easier to recognise. Primary doesn't seem too bad but high schoolers seem to take too many liberties with uniform. Individuality is fine but looking a joke is no joke. I have seen girls in cities who look like St Trinians tarts not a great image to encourage. As a parent uniform takes a lot of headaches out of what to wear for school - remember it has to take quite a bashing not to mention paint and glue, etc.

JAWS
31-Oct-06, 22:11
Religion, Race, Football, Politics, anything's safer than discussing school uniform.

Still, here goes, I love living dangerously. Teachers should be expected to, at the least, adhere to some kind of acceptable dress code.

Uniforms for the pupils, definitely. Having said that, before they reach for their battle-axes, no, I'm not talking about Blazers, straw-boaters for the girls and caps for the boys.
I'm sure that something more in keeping with current clothing could be found.
Don't ask me to make any suggestions but I'm certain somebody who is more in touch with what is acceptable for today's youngsters might have some ideas. Unless, that is, blazers and caps are the latest "with-it" fashion! :D

Mr_Me19
03-Nov-06, 23:02
I was recently back in Thurso and saw pupils leaving the high school at lunch time and have to say I think the uniform is a joke. They were not neat and tidy in any way, every one was just wearing black...it looked like a funeral.

I don't think teachers should have to wear a uniform.

Well i think this is an extremely unfair comment. I am a pupil in THS and i wear a plain white shirt everyday and usually a tie also. Not all pupils are like that. The black is mainley because of the jumpers because in case you haven't noticed it is approaching winter and it is cold. So we can freeze or dress in white? I no this isnt the point on the thread but i wanted to get my own point across. Moving back to the topic in hand, the male teachers all wear a shirt, tie and plain black trousers (with the exception of the PE teachers) but the female teachers wear whatever they please. I think it is degrading for the pupils. Why should we be forced to wear the uniform where as the female teachers are free to express themselves by wearing what ever they want?

celtic 302
03-Nov-06, 23:31
I go to WHS, and like mr me19 said about THS, the female teachers dress in whatever they like, whereas most male teachers wear a shirt and tie. At WHS pupils arent forced to wear uniforms, but there is one for anyone brave enough to wear one, and we get along perfectly all dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. When they teach you about free speach in school, i assume it means free-to-dress-as-you-see-fit aswell. What people wear expressess the personality of most people, so trying to make eveyone into a neat set of matching dolls is very undermining. As for teachers wearing a school uniform... I may be a pupil, but the school is a teachers work place, and so they shouldnt have to dress up like they were back in primary one. However, if teachers stuck to wearing shirt and tie for men, and blouse and what not for women, i think it would be better.

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Nov-06, 23:34
Don't kid yourselves, folks - everyone is wearing a uniform of some kind.

celtic 302
03-Nov-06, 23:42
even if we are, i'd like to think (even if it is false thinking) that i made the choice of what i wear.

Tristan
04-Nov-06, 08:19
even if we are, i'd like to think (even if it is false thinking) that i made the choice of what i wear.

My understanding is the pupils and parents were consulted on the Uniform at THS and it was the pupils who opted for the blazer etc.
It can't be that bad I have seen pupils walking down the street in their uniform long after school is out.

Mr_Me19
04-Nov-06, 10:22
Well consulted is mabey a bit strong. We were given a sheet of paper and told to vote for what we wanted. After asking almost everyone i know i found out that only 4-5 people had voted for the uniform we now have. I was told from others who had done the same thing that they had a similar number of people of whom they had asked that had voted for the uniform we have. I think there is something a bit fishy about how we got our uniform. According to a certain teacher, who does not like the new rector (I wont give any names), she binned half the ones who voted for normal casual wear and claimed they never voted. Im not sure who to believe but it is definately something for us pupils to think about....

Cazaa
21-Nov-06, 23:31
I notice that other workers for the Highland Council are supplied with a nice uniform. Blazer, skirt, trousers, blouse (just like in banks and supermarkets). Perhaps they might want to look into this.

Of course, it would put our Council Tax up wouldn't it, but at least we'd all be happy here at the Org. Another box ticked.

There is no dress code for teachers. How many of them at THS or WHS do you know who don't dress smartly? Mmm? Any jeans at WHS of which we should be made aware?

Piglet
21-Nov-06, 23:41
Not all the Highland Council Staff are supplied with a uniform.

Cazaa
21-Nov-06, 23:50

Yeah, I know - teachers aren't. I kinda thought that was the whole point of this thread?

rfr10
22-Nov-06, 18:04
As ususal, I could make lots of comments on this thread but better not. However there is one comment which I noticed that's annoying me that makes it sound as though young people have a bad name for themselves and that teachers should not be like them. Teachers should not be respected any more than anyone else. Everyone should be treated equally. Glad to see that some teacher in the school are setting a good example by wearing the uniform. If some can do it, why can't others. I think what was also discussed at a Pupil Council Meeting is that if pupils had to wear uniform then they would want to have a say in the way it was designed themselves.

Bobbyian
22-Nov-06, 21:03
My feeling is, although I had to wear school togs as a Youngster , now I think that making students and or Teachers wear uniform doesn`t make them any more or less respected because respect is earned by what you set out as an example and if teachers don`t do that then no amount of uniforms and badges can give them respect. in the forces one learns to submit to superiors not respect them respect have most often people who go out of their way to help others..

crashbandicoot1979
22-Nov-06, 21:54

Only the Service Point staff are supplied with uniforms. Some of the manual workers get stuff and some of the staff who are out and about get jackets, but thats it. I'd love it if my department had a uniform. It would save having to fork out for work clothes.

As for teachers, I agree that if the pupils should have a uniform then so should the teachers, or at least they should have a dress code. I would have HATED to be made to wear a uniform when I was at school, but now I'm seeing it from the point of view as an adult, I think its a good thing.

danc1ngwitch
25-Nov-06, 20:58
Thurso High did have a dress down day on a Friday and the children were so happy about it and charity did well too... A pound to dress down... do we get to hear what charity gets the money made form this???

angela5
25-Nov-06, 21:20
Thurso High did have a dress down day on a Friday and the children were so happy about it and charity did well too... A pound to dress down... do we get to hear what charity gets the money made form this???

Children in need, many schools took part in this.

Cazaa
25-Nov-06, 23:49
I still don't get it though. Were the teachers dressed differently before the introduction of the dress code (NOT uniform)? Are they really so badly dressed that their teaching is being impared? Is the pupils' learning improved as a result of the dress code?

And which teachers are wearing jeans around the knees and huge chains hanging from the hips? Oh and which ones are wearing low-cut tops and midrif revealing shirts and thongs half way up the back?

How do Universities manage to take students to degree, Masters and PhD level when there isn't a dress code in place?

As the Highland Council cannot enforce this then it is up to the parents to refuse. As I believe things are going well for THS (and good for them) then I don't see what the problem is. You could always send your kids to another school.

And what a terrible way to ask a question "do we get to hear what charity gets the money made form this???" did you learn no manners at home (or at school?) Are you implying that they kept it for themselves?

Tristan
25-Nov-06, 23:57
maybe teachers should wear a uniform too... after all maybe we are secretly teaching our children double standards ( rolls eyes ). Its like saying to my boy as he strolls along the corridor " cough, cough take that hat of " but a few minutes before a teacher strolled along the corridor wearing a similar hat and he/ she never got pulled up... Tut, Tut.
Ah just a thought,

So many pressures so little time.
Teachers should dress smart, they should dress in the same uniform, pupils should be treated the same as teachers, teachers should be treated the same as pupils.

Like it or not, adults are different than children: the rights and laws are different, their responsibilities are different. An adult can be held responsible for things children cannot.
Should teachers wear the same uniform as children? No!
Should teachers dress smart? Where appropriate, yes!

Children should be encouraged to think for themselves, express themselves etc. but until they take FULL responsibility for themselves they are are under the guidance of adults such as teachers but more importantly parents. Children are the way they are because of their parents!

sweetpea
26-Nov-06, 00:00
I've been reading some of this and whilst I don't really believe in uniforms in schools as being all dressed the same I think there is a place for people being clean and tidy and dressing to suit circumstances. A teacher could be going out for the day with pupils so may dress casually or meeting with parents so dress smart. I have a job like this and dress to suit the occasssion. The one thing I will say is that if you teach people to dress to suit the culture they are in then it may not offend so many people. I find that some young people leaving school and trying to impress employers still do things like wear baseball caps and trackie bottoms or be resistant to wearing gear for health and safety because they think they look silly. Being adaptable and reaching a compromise is more preferrable. Don't get me wrong I know some scruffy individuals in the teaching and other professions this is just my take on it.

tiggertoo
26-Nov-06, 00:17
One good thing about kid wearin uniform is that there all the same and not the kid with all the designer gear or the kid with the charitie,jumble,hand me doons who'd be probably be picked on and left to play with the rest of the poorer families kids and that is creating two groups but kids shouldnt be catogerised, should be treated as a one ,hence the uniform

danc1ngwitch
26-Nov-06, 20:37
I really beleive that if u dressed a group of us meer mortals in all the same gear and popped us in a large room you will probably find that we would group according to who we are comfortable with... clothes make little difference in SOME case's unless the children are previously bashed by parents that think they are up market and really NONE of US are in control... we all the SAME... xx

the nomad
27-Nov-06, 13:03
I found out when I moved from Caithness that schools can't enforce the wearing of a uniform, they are simply not allowed to do it. If the school gives the impression it's mandatory, it's not, generally it's driven by the school itself.

They can't send anyone home for not wearing it either.

Common sense should prevail, smart and tidy and I would agree with no football colours or dodgy brand names.

It can't however be enforced apparently that would be illegal.