PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Lanterns should be banned!

Liz
10-Jan-12, 19:45
Please, please, please if anyone is considering using these then reconsider!

They may look beautiful but they can cause such pain and suffering to wildlife, livestock, marine animals etc. This link shows one of it's casualties. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-15439322

Balloons are another bugbear, even if they are biodegradable. :(

spurtle
11-Jan-12, 12:05
Please please refrain from using your car as so many animals are killed with these, also birds flying into windows -get rid of them.We must also remove all overhead wires as so many swans are killed by these, - sorry just a point

pat
11-Jan-12, 12:19
Chinese Lanterns

To me the main reason these should be banned is the chance of these being mistaken for a flare, causing search and rescue crews callout and endangering their lives unnecessarily.

Blackbird
11-Jan-12, 12:42
To me the main reason these should be banned is the chance of these being mistaken for a flare, causing search and rescue crews callout and endangering their lives unnecessarily.

Had that here too plus they have set fire to fields and hedges in the past.

I also think they have been mistaken for UFO's [lol]

Liz
11-Jan-12, 13:53
Please please refrain from using your car as so many animals are killed with these, also birds flying into windows -get rid of them.We must also remove all overhead wires as so many swans are killed by these, - sorry just a point

I understand your point but cars, windows and overhead wires are a necessity whereas chinese lanterns aren't. Also it is driving the car at speed which causes most accidents, you can get stickers to put on your windows to avoid bird strike and I believe there are gadgets which can be put on overhead wires.

Liz
11-Jan-12, 13:54
Chinese Lanterns

Another very good reason.

brandy
11-Jan-12, 15:26
while i do feel for the animals.. at the same time.. i have to think.. how far is everything going to go? it is already to a stage.. that no one can do anything.. for fear of offending some one else. i have never personally used a lantern .. but im kinda on the circle of life stand here.. ie.. everything lives everything dies. its just a pet peve of mine.. things like peta and green peace, go on and on about the poor animals.. while at the same time are intensely aggressive towards their fellow man. things should be done in moderation.. and as i think Chinese lanterns are used with a lit lamp inside.. it should be used responsibly and in the right conditions. there's is always pros and cons for everything.. and as for the high speed bird hit thingy.. i was coming back from thurso.. about 60 mph.. and about 50+ birds flew from a field into my car.. it was not nice .. and very lucky i did not crash and kill my family.

TAFKAL
11-Jan-12, 18:40
A friend south of the border had her barn and house burned down after on landed in the hay! Barn went up and the went through to the house :(

Liz
11-Jan-12, 19:33
Brandy, this has nothing to do with 'offending' someone but causing suffering to animals which we should do everything in our power to avoid. I am fed up with people thinking they have a 'right' to do anything they want without considering the consequences.

Of course death is part of nature but we have a duty of care to the animals we share this planet with and this includes not littering our land and seas.

I'm not sure what you mean by the likes of PETA and GreenPeace being 'aggressive' towards their fellow man? I am passionate about animals and am not afraid to speak up for them as they have no voice but ours. However, I have enough compassion to care about every living being and would speak up for vulnerable people as well.

I'm glad you and your family are okay and it must have been very scary for you but I stand by my comments about most wildlife being killed due to speeding. Thankfully, what happened to you is very rare and it sounds like something may have frightened the birds causing them to fly into the path of your car?

Rheghead
11-Jan-12, 19:40
its just a pet peve of mine.. things like peta and green peace, go on and on about the poor animals.. while at the same time are intensely aggressive towards their fellow man.

Greenpeace is a pacifist organisation, it isn't or shouldn't be aggressive to any human. Yes, individuals may have acted aggressive and the populist media have blown that out of proportion and given Greenpeace a bad name but as sure as ice melts, those individuals are no longer members of Greenpeace.

Liz
11-Jan-12, 20:19
A friend south of the border had her barn and house burned down after on landed in the hay! Barn went up and the went through to the house :(

So it shows that animals aren't the only ones at risk! :(

Dog-eared
11-Jan-12, 20:22
while i do feel for the animals.. at the same time.. i have to think.. how far is everything going to go? it is already to a stage.. that no one can do anything.. for fear of offending some one else. i have never personally used a lantern .. but im kinda on the circle of life stand here.. ie.. everything lives everything dies. its just a pet peve of mine.. things like peta and green peace, go on and on about the poor animals.. while at the same time are intensely aggressive towards their fellow man. things should be done in moderation.. and as i think Chinese lanterns are used with a lit lamp inside.. it should be used responsibly and in the right conditions. there's is always pros and cons for everything.. and as for the high speed bird hit thingy.. i was coming back from thurso.. about 60 mph.. and about 50+ birds flew from a field into my car.. it was not nice .. and very lucky i did not crash and kill my family.

You said " and as i think Chinese lanterns are used with a lit lamp inside.. it should be used responsibly and in the right conditions.".

I'd be interested to learn what form that responsibility might take, and what you consider to be the right conditions, seeing as once the lantern is alight and released into the wind, there is no control over it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with other posters - chinese lanterns are unnecessary and do harm to wildlife through ingestion ( that's eating bits by mistake ) or getting the wire caught around limbs.

Out of sight, out of mind does not help the environment.

golach
12-Jan-12, 09:46
This is what these lanterns do
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-15439322

Iffy
12-Jan-12, 10:16
I don't bother posting on here much these days....but I feel strongly enough about this thread to make an exception .

I completely agree with Liz in all that she has said. Wildlife is something to be treasured and protected wherever possible. Chinese Lanterns give a few moments of delight to a human, but can destroy an animal/bird's life forever....or as TAFKAL posted, even destroy the livelyhoods of families.

"Of course death is part of nature but we have a duty of care to the animals we share this planet with and this includes not littering our land and seas."

Very well said Liz !

Thumper
12-Jan-12, 18:16
Chinese lanterns look pretty dont they? Not so pretty wrapped around a birds neck though are they! For a moment of pleasure we have robbed a bird that has so much beauty of its life! Balloons are no better,they choke animals,obstruct their bowels etc and make for a slow and agonising death!While we are at it,plastic bags are another dangerous thing to leave lying about,people throw them out of car windows,or the are blown off tips and then birds and other wildlife get stuck in them,or swallow them and cause serious harm and death! Mammals in the sea suffer too,I have seen seals with balloons in the stomach,whales try to eat plastic bags thinking they are squid,the list is endless.....and it is all because of human selfishness! x

Margaret M.
13-Jan-12, 20:03
What joy can any reasonable human derive from watching a silly, unnecessary object that may cause death and destruction? It is sad that some show so little consideration for other life forms sharing our planet.

Torvaig
13-Jan-12, 23:23
But us humans are of a higher order than everything else and if we want to do something for fun we can do it. After all isn't drinking and making a nuisance of ourselves or driving our cars at great risk to others happening all the time so why should we care about harming nature, setting fire to vegetation or causing the lifeboat etc., to be mobilised as long as we are having fun, fun, fun?

Kenn
14-Jan-12, 00:15
Humans a higher order!
If we are then we should show a little more respect not only for each other but our surroundings both of which require very little effort and can be very rewarding.

closer
14-Jan-12, 02:10
Have you got some comments on hunting?
Should hunting be banned? If yes, then raise some appeals. If not, please think about what you are saying. The difference between human and animals is not only about who can speak, but also who can think. The latter is more important, in my opinion.

Aaldtimer
14-Jan-12, 04:25
Should hunting be banned? If yes, then raise some appeals. If not, please think about what you are saying. The difference between human and animals is not only about who can speak, but also who can think. The latter is more important, in my opinion.

Curious post closer. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Your opinion is that animals don't have the capacity of thought I presume?

Just wondering, can you expand?:confused

Liz
14-Jan-12, 13:25

Yes I am against hunting as it is outdated and cruel and do appeal against it. However, this thread isn't about hunting but Chinese Lanterns.

Do you honestly believe that animals can't think? I think we humans underestimate all animal life and are egotistical to think that we are the most 'important' species.
Yes we can speak but don't often have anything worth saying!lol

We are all part of a huge eco system and depend on each other. We upset this balance at our peril. :(

I think the main word I would use is respect. We should respect all life, both human and animal, and also the planet we live on.

closer
18-Jan-12, 13:49
Honestly, I do believe that most of animals can't think. You probably needs to be asked by yourself the difference between "think" and "natural reaction". For instance, when some animals feel hungry, they find food to eat. When you are hungry, you want to eat. However, you need to chec the circumstance where you are to see if you can eat. For example, when you are in an important meeting or a bus, you can't just simply eat. That is what we call "think", but animals cant do that. What most of animals can do is "natural reaction".
What I am saying doesn't mean I don't respect animals. In contrast, because I respect them, I study and learn from them. This gives me a proper view toward them, neither over-right nor over-left. You mentioned the word "respect", when you were writing this post, did you consider other people' feeling? Did you respect other people when you are thinking about animals?
Indeed, this is not a post about hunting. However, 4 animals may be killed by Chinese lanterns per year while 40000 animals may be killed by hunting each year for instance. So, which one is more urgent? Again, think, before you speak, please.

Liz
18-Jan-12, 14:13
Honestly, I do believe that most of animals can't think. You probably needs to be asked by yourself the difference between "think" and "natural reaction". For instance, when some animals feel hungry, they find food to eat. When you are hungry, you want to eat. However, you need to chec the circumstance where you are to see if you can eat. For example, when you are in an important meeting or a bus, you can't just simply eat. That is what we call "think", but animals cant do that. What most of animals can do is "natural reaction".
What I am saying doesn't mean I don't respect animals. In contrast, because I respect them, I study and learn from them. This gives me a proper view toward them, neither over-right nor over-left. You mentioned the word "respect", when you were writing this post, did you consider other people' feeling? Did you respect other people when you are thinking about animals?
Indeed, this is not a post about hunting. However, 4 animals may be killed by Chinese lanterns per year while 40000 animals may be killed by hunting each year for instance. So, which one is more urgent? Again, think, before you speak, please.

Well to be honest I'd be banned if I told you what I 'think' of your post!

I will say that it comes across as very arrogant and that your 'proper view' is the correct one and the rest of us are wrong. I don't know what other people's feelings has to do with my post? I am merely making a plea for people to stop using Chinese Lanterns as they pose a risk to both animals and property.
Many farmers want a ban as well as you can see from this link. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/7127935/Farmers-call-for-ban-on-Chinese-lanterns.html

I don't know where you get your statistics for the number of animals killed by Chinese Lanterns? For someone who respects animals I find it strange that you think it would be okay for any to be killed by something which isn't necessary?

Your last sentence is so condescending! May I suggest you take your own advice?

Corrie 3
18-Jan-12, 14:38
Mmm!!
Closer seems like a Member to watch out for. Two posts, one very strange and one very condescending and rude.
Never mind, it takes all sorts I suppose!!

C3.............:eek::roll:

Liz
18-Jan-12, 14:42
Mmm!!
Closer seems like a Member to watch out for. Two posts, one very strange and one very condescending and rude.
Never mind, it takes all sorts I suppose!!

C3.............:eek::roll:

Methinks you are right! :D

lisagrace
18-Jan-12, 15:37
I think that with all the bad publicity particularly from farmers (just mean they probably get more respect that animal rights activists) shops will feel obliged to stop selling them and ignorant people who think an animal suffering is irrelevant to their fun will not have a choice.
On a lighter note and with no disrespect I think a ban would be in the interest of Caithness considering the 'UFO sightings' which managed to make it into the paper for 2 weeks.

closer
18-Jan-12, 15:40
I realise that the logic we think is totally different. I don't see any point to carry on the debate.
Okay, you go for your campaign.

closer
18-Jan-12, 15:47
Curious post closer. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Your opinion is that animals don't have the capacity of thought I presume?

Just wondering, can you expand?:confused

Sorry didn't see your post...but the better thing I would do is keep silence now. ohterwise I'll be blamed. Thanks for your notice. Thank you.

jlumsden
18-Jan-12, 16:14
In all honesty, I had never given this ubject much thought! Though reading through the posts and links I am shocked! I will definitely refrain from using them in the future.

However, if we are going to talk about animals getting hurt, I think we need to focus on the unnecessary littering that goes on, especially around our coastlines!! I don't know how many times I have had to kick glass out the way of my dog, or pull tin tops out of his mouth! We have just been so lucky so far that nothing serious has happened to him! That's a pet, and I dread to think the harm that would come to wildlife if there is no-one there to help them!

J x

Liz
18-Jan-12, 19:24
In all honesty, I had never given this ubject much thought! Though reading through the posts and links I am shocked! I will definitely refrain from using them in the future.

However, if we are going to talk about animals getting hurt, I think we need to focus on the unnecessary littering that goes on, especially around our coastlines!! I don't know how many times I have had to kick glass out the way of my dog, or pull tin tops out of his mouth! We have just been so lucky so far that nothing serious has happened to him! That's a pet, and I dread to think the harm that would come to wildlife if there is no-one there to help them!

J x

I am really glad that you've decided not to use these in the future. :)

I totally agree with you re litter both on land and at sea! As I said in an earlier post I hate this as not only does it look awful but poses a threat to all animals. Why oh why do people think this kind of behaviour is okay? :(

Liz
18-Jan-12, 19:26
I realise that the logic we think is totally different. I don't see any point to carry on the debate.
Okay, you go for your campaign.

I have no problem at all with us thinking differently or having a debate. I do, however, have a problem with rudeness!