PDA

View Full Version : Smilie Restriction

JAWS
30-Oct-06, 15:37
Does anybody find the restriction on the number of Smilies allowed in a Post is causing them problems and, if so, in what way?

Jeid
30-Oct-06, 15:38
Yup, I certainly do. For example, when quoting posts and there is two smilies in the quoted post, you can't put anymore in your one. It's easy enough to delete the smilies out, but meh, I'm lazy!

MGB1979
30-Oct-06, 15:43
Yeah it's rubbish and I can't think of a single reason why it's so low.

danc1ngwitch
30-Oct-06, 15:56
Wow!!! to be honest, without covering up... ( peels back the invisable black curtain that hangs in the org ). Give more *Freedom*. Allow *US* to play, I am sure even the youngsters of the org would use em proper... And if i use a wrong smilie so what ??? If yer that sensitive then.... well say no more...:cool: Ops..lol

Ricco
30-Oct-06, 15:57
I think it might be because it helps to relieve the strain on the org server? :~( Also, if you cannot say what needs to be expressed within the restriction perhaps the content needs re-thinking? ;)

JAWS
30-Oct-06, 16:00
Yup, I certainly do. For example, when quoting posts and there is two smilies in the quoted post, you can't put anymore in your one. It's easy enough to delete the smilies out, but meh, I'm lazy!Can't disagree with that. It's one that occasionally makes me jump up and down in frustration, especially when I couldn't sus what I'd done the first time it happened to me.

Kingetter
30-Oct-06, 16:01
'A picture paints a thousand words'
Meaning:
A picture tells a story as well as a large amount of descriptive text.

Though the original quotation is, "One look is worth a thousand words"; Frederick R. Barnard in Printer's Ink, 8 Dec 1921 - retelling a Chinese proverb.

What restricts, inhibits.

Ricco
30-Oct-06, 16:07
'A picture paints a thousand words'
Meaning:
A picture tells a story as well as a large amount of descriptive text.

Though the original quotation is, "One look is worth a thousand words"; Frederick R. Barnard in Printer's Ink, 8 Dec 1921 - retelling a Chinese proverb.

What restricts, inhibits.

Speaking of pictures, Kingetter... where'd your avatar go? Oh, its there now.

:roll: - this picture is saying what?

Kingetter
30-Oct-06, 16:11
Sorry Ricco - can't get into a long thread here - it will likely get moved and I may not find it again.:roll:

Ricco
30-Oct-06, 16:17
Sorry Ricco - can't get into a long thread here - it will likely get moved and I may not find it again.:roll:

That's why i over-abbreviated it. ;)

canuck
30-Oct-06, 16:23
Yup, I certainly do. For example, when quoting posts and there is two smilies in the quoted post, you can't put anymore in your one. It's easy enough to delete the smilies out, but meh, I'm lazy!

Can't disagree with that. It's one that occasionally makes me jump up and down in frustration, especially when I couldn't sus what I'd done the first time it happened to me.

I lost two nice long well written, complicated, thought out responses to posts because the quotes had too many smilies in them. Then I had to recreate what I had written and that was a pain. So, I have learned to remove the smilies from quotes.

My real problem with smilies is that I don't understand the jargon they are trying to convey. And I sure don't use them because I don't know what they all mean. :eek: And my "more" function on the smilie list doesn't work either.

Bobinovich
30-Oct-06, 16:23
Yes I too would like to see the amount of smilies increased, but not unlimited. I remember posts made up almost entirely of smilies which I found really annoying [evil].

Surely an increase to 6 or 8 within the reply text (i.e. not taking into account any in the quoted text) should be ample for most posts.

In an ideal world there would be a limit of per X words, per paragraph, or something, but that would be WAY to much to expect!

Dreadnought
30-Oct-06, 16:24
It isn't a smiley restriction. It is an image posting restriction, which includes smileys. Either way, it is irritating, and this is the first forum I've ever seen where this restriction affects smiley use.

MadPict
30-Oct-06, 16:25
vBulletin's image system is used to manage avatars, post icons, and smilies. While two per post may be too low I would limit it to no more than five - more than enough IMO bearing in mind that images include use of smilies AND any use of the vB code [img] tag.

One thing I hate are posts with strings of animated smilies as happens on forums where there are no limits.... [lol] x 50

candyfloss
30-Oct-06, 16:32
I feel the same too, i'd be quite happy with even 3 or 4 more smilies:) :)

cuddlepop
30-Oct-06, 16:50
I've lost post's because I've forgotton the restrictions.
Never seem to type the same response twice,its so annoying:roll:

Tiger Jones
30-Oct-06, 16:57
I've lost post's because I've forgotton the restrictions.
Never seem to type the same response twice,its so annoying:roll:Think you need to click the BACK button to access the previous page, getting your message back. Holding down the Alt key and pressing the left-pointing arrow does the same.

JAWS
30-Oct-06, 16:59
And my "more" function on the smilie list doesn't work either.If you are using a "pop-up blocker" then that could be the cause. (Guess who found out the hard way yet again):roll:

cuddlepop
30-Oct-06, 17:36
Thanks Tiger Jones,I've learnt more on this forum then any of the courses I've been on.:)

Sporran
30-Oct-06, 18:00
Does anybody find the restriction on the number of Smilies allowed in a Post is causing them problems and, if so, in what way?

There have been quite a few times I've wanted to add a smiley or two of my own, when quoting someone else's post, but can't because of the image restriction. And I don't think it's appropriate to get around it by deleting the smilies in the other person's post. Yes, it can be a bit annoying when you see a post with a long string of smilies in it - but some sort of happy medium has to be reached!

scrapydoo
30-Oct-06, 19:49
Only being allowed to use two is total rubbish[disgust] why just two? :rolleyes: and why can't there be a choice of more than 27.

Piglet
30-Oct-06, 19:58
Yeh good idea more smilies. [smirk]

PLEASE :grin:

Kaishowing
30-Oct-06, 20:02
Be nice to have the option to add more if wanted...and perhaps a few more to choose from!
Baaaaad Org! http://bestsmileys.com/whipping/1.gif LOL

Oddquine
30-Oct-06, 22:36
I noticed someone said there are image restrictions as well.

I have a page of smilies on my own website to which I link on forums, but have been reluctant to use them because I wasn't sure if they were allowed or how many I can use in a post if they were not the forum's own ones (which are rather boring, like all generic ones.) :~(

golach
30-Oct-06, 22:43
I hate smilies :mad: [evil]

canuck
31-Oct-06, 02:26
If you are using a "pop-up blocker" then that could be the cause. (Guess who found out the hard way yet again):roll:

Masterful moderator, I've juggled pop-up blockers for half an hour and still cannot get the "more" function to work.

If you need a relative to feel part of the mod clique I'll be your 3rd cousin, not that I am a mod. But at least I have met you and cedric has bowed in allegiance to you. Cedric and I aren't related either, but we could arrange to be 4th cousins by marriage if that would help with your mod status in any way.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
31-Oct-06, 02:40
Masterful moderator, I've juggled pop-up blockers for half an hour and still cannot get the "more" function to work.

If you need a relative to feel part of the mod clique I'll be your 3rd cousin, not that I am a mod. But at least I have met you and cedric has bowed in allegiance to you. Cedric and I aren't related either, but we could arrange to be 4th cousins by marriage if that would help with your mod status in any way.

Bowed in allegiance.4th cousins.....canuck have ye been smokin that jungle stuff again!!!:lol:

aileenmac
31-Oct-06, 11:50
Sporran, by the way, love your fairy picture:)

Sporran
31-Oct-06, 16:54
Sporran, by the way, love your fairy picture:)

Thankyou, aileenmac! And I love your flying witch picture!! :cool: