- People born before 1946 were called
The Silent generation....

- People born between 1946 and 1959 are called
The Baby Boomers.

- People born between 1960 and 1979 are called
Generation X,

- And people born between 1980 and 2010 are called
Generation Y,

Why do we call the last group Generation Y?

Y should I get a job?
Y should I leave home and find my own place?
Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?
Y should I clean my room?
Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?
Y should I buy any food?
And now Y should I pay for your pension?

But a cartoonist explained it very eloquently below....

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2678c3ef4a&view=att&th=134c3b8203bd1946&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw

billmoseley
09-Jan-12, 20:05
o so true good post

RecQuery
10-Jan-12, 10:51
Because Y comes after X, we prefer to call ourselves Millenials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y) actually or 'the generation - along with X - that has to fix the mistakes of others'

Obviously this is a generalisation but:

The baby boomers squandered every advantage that their parents provided for them, and yet they have the nerve to complain that we're not in the same position they were. They sat by and did nothing while the economy got screwed for what they perceived as their own personal gain. Yes, let's continue slashing taxes even though our education and infrastructure is lagging behind other industrialized countries. Let's allow home values to become artificially inflated so we can take out equity we have no means of repaying. Let's outsource all our jobs so that we can pay 10% less on goods that are half the quality. Let's completely violate core our principles because we don't like gays and communists (although a lot of the blame for that lies with the so-called 'greatest generation').

To put it another way all our elders complain about how bad Gen-Y is. But Gen-Y isn't the problem. These baby-boomers are the most spoilt, self centred people I've ever seen. They all grew up in the post-war economic boom. They had luxuries and technology, free education, cheap housing - the world was their oyster. They are the ones running our governments, our business, the entire world. They've known fossil fuels were a liability for 40 odd years or more. We could all be driving electric cars, but they're greedy, complacent and lazy and now we're stuck with exorbitant oil prices and the looming disaster of climate change. They had their cheap housing, they've bought up all the good properties, inflated the housing market. They had their free (or at least extremely cheap) education too. They told their children they can't have jobs without a degree, then they force them in to 5-figure debts to get jobs that don't even exist. They control our banks and governments and together they have royally messed up the European and US economies because of it. People wonder why Gen-Y are so disenchanted, well, this is why. They've screwed up the environment, our education system, our government, our economy and they've simply shrugged and said "Oh well, we got ours and remember you lot, you've still have to pay for our retirement" and heaved the burden on to us. I'll be glad once they start to die off, because then we can work at making a better and sustainable future.

http://i.qkme.me/358jrh.jpg

gleeber
10-Jan-12, 13:27
Because Y comes after X, we prefer to call ourselves Millenials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y) actually or 'the generation - along with X - that has to fix the mistakes of others'

The baby boomers squandered every advantage that their parents provided for them,

An excellent post and I have little defence my lord.
It wasnt squandered though. It was new to us and we didnt know how to handle it although theres plenty did and remained honourable and are still hanging in there. It was an evolutionary process and a big one if you want to view it from that angle. Every civilisation makes its mistakes but sometimes we dont learn from it. I recognise a new mindset in the millenials and although it frightens a baby boomer like me I know they are only trying to be the best they can be. Best of luck. Youll need it.

RecQuery
10-Jan-12, 14:49
An excellent post and I have little defence my lord.
It wasnt squandered though. It was new to us and we didnt know how to handle it although theres plenty did and remained honourable and are still hanging in there. It was an evolutionary process and a big one if you want to view it from that angle. Every civilisation makes its mistakes but sometimes we dont learn from it. I recognise a new mindset in the millenials and although it frightens a baby boomer like me I know they are only trying to be the best they can be. Best of luck. Youll need it.

Massive generalisation like I said, and obviously upbringing and culture have to be factored into it.

Edit: On a side note Gen-Y/Millenial/Generation Next/Net Generation/Echo Boomers - whatever you want to call it, consists of those born between the 1st of January, 1982 and the 31st December 1993. Though some people use 1980 to 2000 as a catch-all. It's not the 30 year range indicated by the OP.

theone
10-Jan-12, 16:47

The baby boomers squandered every advantage that their parents provided for them, and yet they have the nerve to complain that we're not in the same position they were. They sat by and did nothing while the economy got screwed for what they perceived as their own personal gain. Yes, let's continue slashing taxes even though our education and infrastructure is lagging behind other industrialized countries. Let's allow home values to become artificially inflated so we can take out equity we have no means of repaying. Let's outsource all our jobs so that we can pay 10% less on goods that are half the quality. Let's completely violate core our principles because we don't like gays and communists (although a lot of the blame for that lies with the so-called 'greatest generation').

To put it another way all our elders complain about how bad Gen-Y is. But Gen-Y isn't the problem. These baby-boomers are the most spoilt, self centred people I've ever seen. They all grew up in the post-war economic boom. They had luxuries and technology, free education, cheap housing - the world was their oyster. They are the ones running our governments, our business, the entire world. They've known fossil fuels were a liability for 40 odd years or more. We could all be driving electric cars, but they're greedy, complacent and lazy and now we're stuck with exorbitant oil prices and the looming disaster of climate change. They had their cheap housing, they've bought up all the good properties, inflated the housing market. They had their free (or at least extremely cheap) education too. They told their children they can't have jobs without a degree, then they force them in to 5-figure debts to get jobs that don't even exist. They control our banks and governments and together they have royally messed up the European and US economies because of it. People wonder why Gen-Y are so disenchanted, well, this is why. They've screwed up the environment, our education system, our government, our economy and they've simply shrugged and said "Oh well, we got ours and remember you lot, you've still have to pay for our retirement" and heaved the burden on to us. I'll be glad once they start to die off, because then we can work at making a better and sustainable future.

That is the best post I ever read on this forum.

So very, very true.

Alrock
10-Jan-12, 17:02

That is the best post I ever read on this forum.

So very, very true.

I'll second that

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/021/9/d/devil_ok_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif.

ducati
10-Jan-12, 17:54
I'll second that

Really? I think he's talking bottox as usual. :lol:

gleeber
10-Jan-12, 18:03
I'll second that
Calm down chaps. it's a good post but it's not very very true. :eek: It's partly true. Generalisations are snapshots of bigger pictures. Lifes not about blaiming someone else although it seems to be an engrained quality in human behaviour. I'm encouraged when I listen to younger people discussing their world although it's tempered with youthful idealism. Another 30 years and the whippersnappers will be running things. It'll be interesting times and the proof of the pudding will still be in the eating.

ducati
10-Jan-12, 18:06
Calm down chaps. it's a good post but it's not very very true. :eek: It's partly true. Generalisations are snapshots of bigger pictures. Lifes not about blaiming someone else although it seems to be an engrained quality in human behaviour. I'm encouraged when I listen to younger people discussing their world although it's tempered with youthful idealism. Another 30 years and the whippersnappers will be running things. It'll be interesting times and the proof of the pudding will still be in the eating.

Yeah, everyone will be off their heads on Crack and the Olympics will be played on a DS. [lol]

Corrie 3
10-Jan-12, 18:21
But Y doesn't the World owe us a living ? I think you will find it does and don't argue with me.

But Y do I have to get out of bed before 2.00pm?

Y of course I expect a car to be delivered to my door as soon as I have passed my test, taxed and insured of course and capable of 150mph with a loud exhaust!!

Y cant you just hurry up and snuff it so that the house will be mine all mine?

Y of course my Generation hasn't been brought up on greed and consumerism!!

C3..............:roll:;)

Alrock
10-Jan-12, 18:53
But Y doesn't the World owe us a living ? I think you will find it does and don't argue with me.

Correct... It does.... & this is why.....

Nobody asked to be born....
Once born you have just as much right to a life as anybody else....
The life you have is governed by rules you have little choice over....
Because of these rules it is neigh on impossible to totally opt out.... Why?
You can't just live where you want to, all land is owned by somebody so that would be trespass....
Even if you did find a piece of land to live on you can't just build yourself a house what with planning permission & a raft of building legislation to get round....
Even if you managed to get yourself a piece of land & a house you can't feed yourself of the land, that would be poaching & as for water to drink that would almost certainly be polluted so clean drinking water needs to be provided....

So... Since there is no way to totally opt out meaning that you have no choice but to live under societies rules then by default society has an obligation to take care of you to a standard that society deems to be normal.

weezer 316
10-Jan-12, 19:15
I'll second that

And third. Hes bang on!

Corrie 3
10-Jan-12, 19:40
Y ....of course I am entitled to a degree at other people expense !!!!!!!

C3............:eek:

squidge
10-Jan-12, 20:32
Y ....of course I am entitled to a degree at other people expense !!!!!!!C3............:eek:Absolutely you should be!!! Its hardly handed on a plate is it? Doing an OU degree whilst working must be so hard. Many of us generation xers got degrees at public expense. Do we want to return to the days where bright intelligent articulate young people like my mother cant go to university because they or their parents cant afford it? I hope not.

Corrie 3
10-Jan-12, 20:46
Absolutely you should be!!! Its hardly handed on a plate is it? Doing an OU degree whilst working must be so hard. Many of us generation xers got degrees at public expense. Do we want to return to the days where bright intelligent articulate young people like my mother cant go to university because they or their parents cant afford it? I hope not.
Your Mum must have been a baby boomer then Squidge............"These baby-boomers are the most spoilt, self centred people I've ever seen. They all grew up in the post-war economic boom. They had luxuries and technology, free education, cheap housing - the world was their oyster" was Recquery's views on our generation!!!
Luxuries? No, unless you call a sugar mouse and an orange at Xmas a luxury!! Technology? No, unless you call a game of snakes and ladders technology. Free education? Yes, up to the age of 15 then it was off to work we go!!! Cheap housing? ...not sure were that one came from as only Bank Managers could get mortgages in those days! World was our Oyster????.....I didnt step on a plane until I was 40 yrs old, my Oyster up until then was a week at Dornoch !!!

C3................:eek::roll::roll:

Alrock
11-Jan-12, 00:40
Cheap housing? ...not sure were that one came from as only Bank Managers could get mortgages in those days!

Different social values then, no obsession with owning your own home, renting was easy & affordable....
For those who did buy, in 1952 (adjusting for inflation) average price was £40000, now average price is £164785, over 4 times the amount.
For those who waited until the 80's then prices where still half of what they are now.

secrets in symmetry
11-Jan-12, 00:52
Calm down chaps. it's a good post but it's not very very true. :eek: It's partly true. Generalisations are snapshots of bigger pictures. Lifes not about blaiming someone else although it seems to be an engrained quality in human behaviour. I'm encouraged when I listen to younger people discussing their world although it's tempered with youthful idealism. Another 30 years and the whippersnappers will be running things. It'll be interesting times and the proof of the pudding will still be in the eating.Lol! I see what you mean about you using humour to diffuse situations between those that disagree - and you're rather good at it. Diffusing RecQuery when he goes "off on one" is not easy - because he's nae bad at it too. :cool:

Freeeeeeeedom!

squidge
11-Jan-12, 02:28
Your Mum must have been a baby boomer then SquidgeC3................:eek::roll::roll:Nope, the silent generation Corrie. Mum was born in 1935.

ducati
11-Jan-12, 08:47
As a schoolboy, I decided the way the world was going and resolved to never have children. After a few flings (er not many at all really, therealducati :eek:) I met a girl who felt the same way and the rest is history.

If it was up to us, there would not have been a Generation Y. :lol:

RecQuery
11-Jan-12, 09:31
Lol! I see what you mean about you using humour to diffuse situations between those that disagree - and you're rather good at it. Diffusing RecQuery when he goes "off on one" is not easy - because he's nae bad at it too. :cool:

Freeeeeeeedom!

I don't think I ever get angry online, maybe I just haven't noticed it. I'll reply and complain but there's no actual anger behind it

secrets in symmetry
11-Jan-12, 22:19
I don't think I ever get angry online, maybe I just haven't noticed it. I'll reply and complain but there's no actual anger behind itWe seem to be using different meanings of "off on one", and (evidently) yours is the standard one. My intended connotation was an extended monologue (that may or may not be listened to by anyone else!)

Perhaps I just made up that meaning - apologies for any offence caused.

The Music Monster
12-Jan-12, 00:21
I'm sorry so many of you seem to have a problem with we poor souls that happened to be born after a certain date, I wasn't aware that I - or the 3 out of 5 of my siblings who were born in this bracket - had done anything to offend you. I really think that most of this attitude is to do with the role that media plays in portraying all of us post 1980 babies as moaning and begrudging layabouts. As a teacher and having taught a decent percentage of the age range you are describing here (1991 onwards), I can tell you that most of the young people I have come across do not have an attitude that begrudges the older generations of anything. It's just a shame that, as usual, it is the outspoken and rude minority that ruin it for the majority of us.

RecQuery
12-Jan-12, 09:43
I'm sorry so many of you seem to have a problem with we poor souls that happened to be born after a certain date, I wasn't aware that I - or the 3 out of 5 of my siblings who were born in this bracket - had done anything to offend you. I really think that most of this attitude is to do with the role that media plays in portraying all of us post 1980 babies as moaning and begrudging layabouts. As a teacher and having taught a decent percentage of the age range you are describing here (1991 onwards), I can tell you that most of the young people I have come across do not have an attitude that begrudges the older generations of anything. It's just a shame that, as usual, it is the outspoken and rude minority that ruin it for the majority of us.

Yeah, not buying it, that demographic runs the media. I didn't realise how much I disliked them - once again in general - until I was in my early 20s.

Crackeday
12-Jan-12, 10:56
What difference does it make when you were born? Its not WHEN you were brought up but HOW you were brought up that matters.
Theres been good and bad throughout the centuries and when you were born will make no difference.
Some have grown up in extreme hardship and gone on to make a decent life for themselves wheras others have gone down the wrong road.
I think its more of a case of WHERE you were born, that has a bigger influence on your life.
For example if your born in a third world country your lifespan is going to be drastically shorther that say someone born in the highlands, thats been like that for centuries and cant see it changing.

You will always get the older generation saying that youngsters are lazy, useless, we had it harder etc but there parents probably said the same about them!!!!
Once you get over that youll see that every generation has had its fair share of hardships.

ducati
12-Jan-12, 12:32
What difference does it make when you were born? Its not WHEN you were brought up but HOW you were brought up that matters.
Theres been good and bad throughout the centuries and when you were born will make no difference.
Some have grown up in extreme hardship and gone on to make a decent life for themselves wheras others have gone down the wrong road.
I think its more of a case of WHERE you were born, that has a bigger influence on your life.
For example if your born in a third world country your lifespan is going to be drastically shorther that say someone born in the highlands, thats been like that for centuries and cant see it changing.

You will always get the older generation saying that youngsters are lazy, useless, we had it harder etc but there parents probably said the same about them!!!!
Once you get over that youll see that every generation has had its fair share of hardships.

ee when I were a lad...........Insert line from Monty Python

Crackeday
12-Jan-12, 13:06
ee when I were a lad...........Insert line from Monty Python
you ate SPAM!!!!!!!! :eek