PDA

View Full Version : Doing your bit for the Planet

bekisman
09-Jan-12, 00:51
I want to cut down to the minimum the amount of energy I need. The more energy efficiency; the less power has to be generated; and that's good for all of us. And it saves money.
Over 40 years ago I had my walls cavity filled when in the midlands; cost me over £400 (then).. a few years ago I had my cavity wall filled here in the North; cost me nothing, it was done through British Gas (We're out in the sticks and on Propane)..

Over the years I've done other measures to help conserve energy. ALL my incandescent bulbs were changed many years ago - when the first energy-saving bulbs came out; big heavy thick glass that flickered for a minute before taking five minutes to brighten up (remember them?). Many people complain that the present energy bulbs are too dim. In my lounge I use 150w (uses 30w) got 'em from Morrison's.. My floor is insulated, there are no drafts in my house.. My Boiler is "getting more efficient" I'm told by the Engineer from Forss..
My other walls are croft (Rubble) walls, which were insulated over many years; a bit at a time. These were sealed with a vapour barrier, a stud partition with CLS, with 4 inches of rockwall insulation. (This stuff is now subsidised by the Government and is from £2 a roll upwards..)
If this work is spread over time it is not too expensive..
More recently the walls both cavity and solid have been upgraded further. My floors, roof, doors, windows are fully insulated..

I've measured my (cavity) wall thickness;
4" Block
4" Cavity Wall (insulated)
4" Block
Vapour barrier
4" Mineral wool Insulation
Half inch foil-backed plasterboard
half inch Timber tongue+grove cladding
2" Polystyrene sheet
half inch foil-backed plasterboard (Making a total wall thickness of some 20 inches, because of earlier 'thickening'..) some call it 'overkill' I call it warm. Plus very good ventilation..

It CAN be done cheaply if done over time, of course nowadays various building regulations may be observed..
I've mentioned it before, but many old croft houses, simply have, against the inside walls, battens upon which is nailed plasterboard - no wonder it's bloody freezing.. Recently my DIY building friends were planning to help an old lady.. the cost of replacing plasterboard was too prohibitive, so the plan was to cut a small (8") square hole, with a Stanley knife; across the eight inches, down each side and lever the 'square' out from the top, having a hinged piece of plasterboard hanging down.. this was repeated around the walls. Mineral wool insulation was then pushed through the holes and prodded into place with a piece of wood, until the wall was full of mineral wool behind the plasterboard.

Next a piece of hardboard was put through the hole - with a piece of string in the middle. This wood had no-more-nails around the edge, and when pulled against the inside of the plasterboard was allowed to 'set'. Then the 'hanging down' plasterboard was lifted up and into the hole against the hardboard, which had waiting glue on it.. the application of polyfiller was smeared around the edges and it looked fine.
OK not best building practice, But it certainly made one hell of a difference to the temperature in that room!

Oh and upstairs dormer windows, many years ago I poked small holes through the side plasterboard and put the nozzle through from expanding foam (£4.50 from Whatsits) and emptied a couple of cans into it.. dulled the wind noise and cut the cold.

Years later, getting refurbishment done, the plasterboard was taken down and the voids were filled very nicely with the set foam, so had worked very well..

Come on folks what things can you think of to save energy and money?

God is that the time? I'm off to my bed;)

ducati
09-Jan-12, 09:16
Turn the computer off

tonkatojo
09-Jan-12, 12:42
Just wondering, how can your boiler be "getting more efficient" ?, i am not nit picking just curious.

bekisman
09-Jan-12, 12:57
Just wondering, how can your boiler be "getting more efficient" ?, i am not nit picking just curious.
That's a fair enough question tonkatojo, when we were told that, we didn't believe it either..

Every year we get our oil boiler fully serviced by Forss Engineering.. they also run a test on it (they seem to poke a 'probe' or something through a small hole they drilled in a part of the outlet immediately above the boiler).

He gets a printout and for the last few years it has shown our boiler getting more efficient,showing less and less CO2 he's shown us the printout, which is then clipped onto our service log-book.. no idea why - like me getting better with age!?
But burners are replaced, which helps a lot I suppose

David Banks
09-Jan-12, 17:37
In my lounge I use 150w (uses 30w) got 'em from Morrison's.
My floors, roof, doors, windows are fully insulated..

You are to be highly commended for your actions.

I have a couple of (serious) questions.

1. If your light bulbs are compact fluorescents, is there a recycling programme for them?

2. Tell us more about your windows and external door(s).

Thank you.

George Brims
09-Jan-12, 18:17
One of the simplest things you can do is turn off your computer when you're not using it. And of course the monitor. Not just standby or sleep mode - OFF!

bekisman
09-Jan-12, 18:34
You are to be highly commended for your actions.

I have a couple of (serious) questions.

1. If your light bulbs are compact fluorescents, is there a recycling programme for them?

Thank you.1. If your light bulbs are compact fluorescents, is there a recycling programme for them?I don't really know as I've had these 150w (30w) ones for 8 years!, but will take 'em to the recycling centre on way to Thurso when they do eventually fade.

Windows are PVCu - get mine from here http://www.sinclairwindows.com/windows.htm (they had to be built as not standard sizes) got 'K-glass stickers on them, and double spacers inside

My external door is a Georgia Hardwood, double glazed this is to an inside porch - which is lined with four inches of insulating material - which has another door (Georgia) double glazed into the hall.