PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Creatures.

cuddlepop
30-Oct-06, 11:20
:~( Did anyone watch this last night?
I've known this was going to be on a while ago and was looking forward to watching this portral of living with an adult that has Asperger's/Personality disorder.
Being in a familular place I could relate to the mothers predicament and all it entailed It was difficult to watch as it confirmed what I know already know;Your on your own with this condition,they've no box they can put you in.
If you knew nothing about this condition,what conclusion would you come to after watching it?
I feel very sad and alone this morning It would have been best if I hadn't have watched it.My workmates who dont know my daughter will have a very negative view of this condition,there are positives they just weren't shown.:~(

Bakerbhoy
30-Oct-06, 11:30
My heart went out to the parents, they were trying their best for their daughter but no one would help them. I can only imagine how hard it is living with someone with that condition and getting no help from anywhere.

badger
30-Oct-06, 12:00
It was very sad although at the end it appeared they have achieved some way of living that is at least possible, if not ideal. Certainly made you realise how "the authorities" can make completely wrong decisions about people with problems and actually make the lives of them and their families much worse. I did wonder though why the parents kept funding their daughter's excessive spending. Her problems really started apparently aged 8 and any child who finds that throwing tantrums is going to get them what they want will continue to use this. The one time I agreed with the hospital staff was when they said she needed boundaries and I could not believe the way her mother kept giving her everything she wanted and undermined the hospital by secretly giving her daughter money every day. Since indulging her all the time didn't seem to stop the tantrums, why did they continue to do it? And why take her to the most expensive shops and restaurants? Surely this would turn any "normal" child into a monster? If the mother had always been on her own I could understand that saying No would be very difficult but her husband would obviously have supported her.

cuddlepop
30-Oct-06, 12:56
It is difficult and it is lonely.Sometimes its so much easier giving into the demands as the consequences of not can be life threatening.They can if allowed be very manipulative which you as the parent do not see.
This condition is a time bomb which is ticking away in childrens sevices,adult sevices are not ready for this influx in the next few years.There are no easy answers just lots of tolerance,understandig and support from the service providers and the community in gereral.
Thank you Squige for your pm it was much appreciated:D