PDA

View Full Version : Typical Right-Wing Press witholding the truth

Rheghead
05-Jan-12, 18:55
Just to demonstrate that the we only get fed a load of lies from these newspapers. The Sunday Times has attempted to bury all references to an online poll amongst its readership due its editorial stance that showed that 56% supported wind farms. A similar poll in the Daily Mail showed the same result.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/12/sunday-times-wind-farms

bekisman
05-Jan-12, 19:12
Just to demonstrate that the we only get fed a load of lies from these newspapers. The Sunday Times has attempted to bury all references to an online poll amongst its readership due its editorial stance that showed that 56% supported wind farms. A similar poll in the Daily Mail showed the same result.

Your very personal point is?

billmoseley
05-Jan-12, 19:17
the truth about all this is probably blowing in the wind

bekisman
05-Jan-12, 19:41
the truth about all this is probably blowing in the wind
Very witty!

Corrie 3
05-Jan-12, 19:47
How stupid.............of course a high number of people will support wind farms. The reason being they haven't got them near to where they live!! You try and stick a wind farm in their backyard and then watch them squeal!!!!!
This happens in England all the while!!

C3............[disgust][disgust]

John Little
05-Jan-12, 20:36
How stupid.............of course a high number of people will support wind farms. The reason being they haven't got them near to where they live!! You try and stick a wind farm in their backyard and then watch them squeal!!!!!
This happens in England all the while!!

C3............[disgust][disgust]

Sigh.

http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/google.asp

Corrie 3
05-Jan-12, 21:01
Sigh.

http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/google.asp
Why the sigh John?
You only have to Google to see how many windfarms are challenged in England, people just don't want them near to them but don't mind others suffering them!!!

C3................:roll:

John Little
05-Jan-12, 21:15
Completely different to Scotland then.

Corrie 3
05-Jan-12, 21:26
Completely different to Scotland then.
I think it is in so much as the Protesters seem to have more success in England than we do up here! (that is my own personal view based on news reports read over the last 10 years!)!

C3............;)

theone
05-Jan-12, 21:30
I don't think the newspaper is "feeding us lies" at all.

Choosing not to publish the results of a poll is hardly lying.

There's not many "politically minded" or "scientifically minded" people on here who would offer evidence AGAINST their viewpoint in a debate. Does that make them liars?

There's no such thing as a neutral newspaper. They all have world views and agendas based on, amongst other things, their ownership, editorial team and their readership. Each paper will spin the news to suit their own opinions. Most them won't even try to hide it.

billmoseley
05-Jan-12, 21:35
do what i do read the news from several different sources then take your own view. except what i read on here as i know that is all true.

Gronnuck
05-Jan-12, 21:50

This type of poll is hardly democratic or scientific and ignores many other issues.
People living in a metropolitan sprawl are hardly going to notice a few wind turbines parked on their doorstep among a myriad of other tall, unsightly structures. They might actually enjoy having these structures on their skyline. Whereas people living in a scattered rural community with big skies and open countryside are certainly going to notice an ugly scattering of monstrous metal towers.
While I appreciate the need to stop using fossil fuels and the need for renewable energy I'm very much against the desecration of our countryside at the behest of the moneymen. There has to be another way. Why not arrange them off the coast on the continental shelf where the only people to see them will be ships that pass?

billmoseley
05-Jan-12, 22:03
maybe we should take a pole on what people think of poles

Rheghead
05-Jan-12, 22:08
This type of poll is hardly democratic or scientific and ignores many other issues.
People living in a metropolitan sprawl are hardly going to notice a few wind turbines parked on their doorstep among a myriad of other tall, unsightly structures. They might actually enjoy having these structures on their skyline. Whereas people living in a scattered rural community with big skies and open countryside are certainly going to notice an ugly scattering of monstrous metal towers.
While I appreciate the need to stop using fossil fuels and the need for renewable energy I'm very much against the desecration of our countryside at the behest of the moneymen. There has to be another way. Why not arrange them off the coast on the continental shelf where the only people to see them will be ships that pass?

You are missing the point, the fact is the right wing press are burying articles which don't meet their editorial stance. If it was the other way around then it would be front page news.

bekisman
05-Jan-12, 22:26
Oh you are silly Reggie it seems that the right-wing press is not the same as a right-wing government?
"The Chancellor and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury today visited Nigg on the Cromarty Firth, where they announced around £100 million of additional funding for Scottish renewable energy," Duh

The Express: Right
The Mail: Right
The Telegraph: Right
The Evening Standard: Right of centre
The Sun: Right of centre
The Times: Moderate right of centre
The Independent: Left of centre
The Mirror: Left
The Observer: Left
The Guardian: Left

theone
05-Jan-12, 22:35
You are missing the point, the fact is the right wing press are burying articles which don't meet their editorial stance.

And the left wing press bury the opposite.

I don't understand the issue.

Gronnuck
05-Jan-12, 22:42
You are missing the point, the fact is the right wing press are burying articles which don't meet their editorial stance. If it was the other way around then it would be front page news.

Maybe, just maybe the right wing press realised the poll had more holes in it than a colander and decided not to publish!

Rheghead
06-Jan-12, 00:01
And the left wing press bury the opposite.

I don't understand the issue.

When it comes to climate change and renewable energy then the left wing press do not bury the facts and truth, so the beef is really with the right wing press.

ducati
06-Jan-12, 00:55
When it comes to climate change and renewable energy then the left wing press do not bury the facts and truth, so the beef is really with the right wing press.

I didn't know it was a left or right issue.:confused

Errogie
06-Jan-12, 10:25
I really would like to observe the reaction to a planning application for a wind turbine on Arthur's Seat and a couple more along the edge of Salisbury crags. How would Eck play it?

golach
06-Jan-12, 10:33
I really would like to observe the reaction to a planning application for a wind turbine on Arthur's Seat and a couple more along the edge of Salisbury crags. How would Eck play it?
Holyrood Park where Arthurs Seat and the Crags are located is a Royal Park, wee fat Eck, does not have any jurisdiction there.[lol]

fingalmacool
06-Jan-12, 12:29

The bird survey would put paid to this venture:confused

I want the job of looking at birds for £200 a day, I'm sure there are lots of ways to expand this quote but I will show restraint:confused

PantsMAN
06-Jan-12, 12:41
Oh you are silly Reggie it seems that the right-wing press is not the same as a right-wing government?
"The Chancellor and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury today visited Nigg on the Cromarty Firth, where they announced around £100 million of additional funding for Scottish renewable energy," Duh

The Express: Right
The Mail: Right
The Telegraph: Right
The Evening Standard: Right of centre
The Sun: Right of centre
The Times: Moderate right of centre
The Independent: Left of centre
The Mirror: Left
The Observer: Left
The Guardian: Left

So, only southern Britain editions of the papers then and no Scottish papers.

Anglo-centric view of the fourth estate?

ducati
06-Jan-12, 13:51

Anglo-centric view of the fourth estate?

You know that all the Scottish papers are owned by the English don't you?

bekisman
06-Jan-12, 19:30

Anglo-centric view of the fourth estate?That's Pants, Man, the original poster was talking about The Sunday Times ! - so I was showing it in relation to the 'English Papers' (Know ANY right wing papers in Scotland?)

PantsMAN
06-Jan-12, 20:16
You know that all the Scottish papers are owned by the English don't you?

What about the Aussies?

PantsMAN
06-Jan-12, 20:20
That's Pants, Man, the original poster was talking about The Sunday Times ! - so I was showing it in relation to the 'English Papers' (Know ANY right wing papers in Scotland?)

And the longer we can keep the right-wing out of Scotland the better for us all!

The right-wing, as represented by the Tories, are unelectable in Scotland - something that is rapidly becoming reality for the poor old Lib-Dems. Oh dear Cleggy really did sell the party out didn't he?

PantsMAN
06-Jan-12, 20:22
Anyway, it's all just bollocks...

Rheghead
06-Jan-12, 21:52
I suppose the gripe about right wing press should not be restricted to their editorial stance on renewable energy and Climate Change. The Daily Mail has been championed this week for exposing the murderers of Stephen Lawrence in 1997. Excellent piece of journalism, but, it took it was a major transformation. For the previous 4 years, the paper had resisted any investigation into the murder and even slammed Nelson Mandela for highlighting the campaign to bring his killers to justice!

Errogie
07-Jan-12, 22:39
Golach, should her majesty or the crown estate commissioners decide the royal coffers needed a plug the Scottish Government would determine any appeal against planning permission by the local authority or if above 50 megawatts output they would be the planning authority so I guess he would be in the frame.

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 17:09
Well well, I can say I'm not surprised but I would have thought the weather should be immune from the right-wing press' fiction but it appears not. The weather forecasters that are used by the Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Daily Express and the Sun seem to be completely bogus or non-existent. :eek: :lol:

You just couldn't make it up. Mail order bride? Russian blonde?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jan/26/weather-forecasters-daily-mail

Corrie 3
26-Jan-12, 17:24
seem to be completely bogus or non-existent. :eek:

The same as our Scientists on the .Org then? :eek:

C3..........:roll:

mi16
26-Jan-12, 17:27
Well if you dont like the press you have available to you, either A)Dont read them. or B)Start your own newspaper.

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 19:00
The same as our Scientists on the .Org then? :eek:

C3..........:roll:

but not as bogus as the opinions of our anti-scientists on the Org. :eek:

Corrie 3
26-Jan-12, 19:25
but not as bogus as the opinions of our anti-scientists on the Org. :eek:
My opinion of our "Scientists" on the .Org is neither bogus or false.....I just don't believe that the one's that proclaim to be scientists are telling the truth. Still, if it makes them feel good and makes them feel high and mighty where is the harm eh Rheggy?

C3.............:eek::roll:

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 19:39
My opinion of our "Scientists" on the .Org is neither bogus or false.....I just don't believe that the one's that proclaim to be scientists are telling the truth. Still, if it makes them feel good and makes them feel high and mighty where is the harm eh Rheggy?

C3.............:eek::roll:

You probably just don't understand the science. Not everyone can so don't feel inadequate with yourself.

Corrie 3
26-Jan-12, 20:35
You probably just don't understand the science. Not everyone can so don't feel inadequate with yourself.
Nah, I understand the science ok .......it's the disturbed people who think they are scientists when they clearly aren't that I have a problem with!!

C3.........:roll::roll:

Rheghead
26-Jan-12, 20:46
Nah, I understand the science ok .......it's the disturbed people who think they are scientists when they clearly aren't that I have a problem with!!

C3.........:roll::roll:

Yes I would also have a problem with someone who says they are something when clearly they aren't.

bekisman
26-Jan-12, 21:08
Yes I would also have a problem with someone who says they are something when clearly they aren't.
Pleased you think that too Rheghead..

Kasper King
31-Jan-12, 13:50
Before the hunting ban was introduced the pro hunting protest brought London to a stand still. Was it reported by the un-biased BBC?
Not a chance!
So any more list or left/right media should have them at the very top.

Neil Howie
31-Jan-12, 23:21
Freedom of the press is an oxymoron. The 'right' and 'left' both serve their vested capitalist interests. (But of course).

I don't think I can sum it up better than Media Lens' criticism of George Monbiot in the post "George Monbiot as Don Quixote: Tilting at safe targets" and the excerpts from Monbiot's own article:,

As he launched into a recent article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/12/britain-press-fighting-class-war) under the stirring title, ‘The corporate press are fighting a class war, defending the elite they belong to’, it looked like readers were in for something special:

‘Have we ever been so badly served by the press? We face multiple crises – economic, environmental, democratic – but most newspapers represent them neither clearly nor fairly. The industry that should reveal and expose instead tries to contain and baffle, to foil questions and shut down dissent.’

Monbiot continued:

‘The men who own the corporate press are fighting a class war, seeking, even now, to defend the 1% to which they belong against its challengers. But because they control much of the conversation, we seldom see it in these terms. Our press re-frames major issues so effectively, it often recruits its readers to mobilise against their own interests.’

‘It's not just Rupert Murdoch and his crooks,' we were told. ‘All the corporate barons who corrupted our political system must be unmasked.’

And – alas - there was the fatal flaw in his approach. Perching on a horse and pointing a blunt lance at ‘corporate barons’, while overlooking the systemic failings of the whole corporate media system, is symptomatic of many a failed quest. The knight-errant Monbiot is no different in this regard from a multitude of other commentators writing for the corporate press.

Thus, Monbiot was happy to make jabs at the Mail, Express and Telegraph newspapers for their puff pieces on celebrities and pathetic attacks on the weak in society. And he was keen to hurl deprecations at the weekly Spectator magazine for its ignorance on climate change. These are all easy right-wing media targets. But with just a passing comment about the BBC, and nothing at all about the supposedly ‘liberal press’ - not least his own paper, the Guardian – the valiant adventurer missed the most important targets.