PDA

View Full Version : Runrig:Another triumph - belated appreciation

percy toboggan
29-Oct-06, 18:16
I fianlly caught up with the 'Wheel in Motion' DVD. I got it yesterday from Amazon. I'd never seen Donnie Munro head the band although I bought 'The Big Wheel' album back in the early nineties, so most of this music was familiar.

It took a while to get used to Munro - he's not yer typical rocker. I could not get his new political career out of me head for a while. However he grew on both of us here. The tour footage was mixed splendidly with scenic shots of the isles and beyond. As momentum built and they delivered 'Flower of the West' to rapture then my goose bump count multiplied. We wanted, no, needed to be in Scotland! Out on the wets coast watching a fiery sunset. All we could do was dig out the photos later ! :~( :D

The band made a good choice when they replaced Donnie with the Guthro guy. My knowledge is scant of band history but I've always listened out for their music. Buying the 'day of days' film and this one has proved to be most rewarding. What a fnatastic anti-dote to hip-hop and much of the modern tripe.

All I need now is the Levellers 'Chaos Theory' to further beef up me collection before Christmas.
Anyway...just how big are Runrig amongst the good people of Caithness?

aileenmac
29-Oct-06, 18:27
I love Runrig. I have been to see them a few times including the Loch Lomond gig (my name actually appears as one of the thousands of 'backing singers' on the CD and , I think the video). It was the best. I also saw them at The Royal Albert Hall and in Southampton. I have been listening to them since the 80's and loved Donnie, although the new guy has grown on me too. One of my favourite tracks is Gabriels Sword, from the Proterra album - I love the line 'beautiful sky'. I wish I could see the again soon.:D

willowbankbear
29-Oct-06, 19:08
Where are they now? I went to Kirkwall to see them in 1990, but I was more impressed with the support band , they were from Orkney & more entertaining

caithness import
29-Oct-06, 19:21
saw runrig in inverness during millenium celebrations. not impressed. dull, melancholic and downright miserable for the occasion. only seemed to be supported by fanatics.

as where are they now. arent half playing at politics and the other half on the sex offenders register.

far better lesser known trad/scottish/folk bands out there.

willowbankbear
29-Oct-06, 19:33
This thread should be on the music forum, If jokes are moved so should this.
Petty yep, I didnt start it though[evil]

sapphire
29-Oct-06, 19:39
This thread should be on the music forum, If jokes are moved so should this.
Petty yep, I didnt start it though[evil]

You've hit the nail on the head here WBB!......I couldn't agree more...

caithness import
29-Oct-06, 19:40
petty and droll.

just like a runrig tune

percy toboggan
29-Oct-06, 20:30
far better lesser known trad/scottish/folk bands out there.
Go on then...shout a few out. I'm always eager to learn.
Wolfstone? I've sampled them and they seem pretty good. Any more??

percy toboggan
29-Oct-06, 20:34
Two mistakes in one night!! Sorry. I didn't know there WAS a music section.
Please delete this and do not bother to re-post it anywhere:confused

willowbankbear
29-Oct-06, 21:11
Naw, I was jesting post whatever you want bud, If its humourous even better. But you see my point, lots of folk dont bother with the othe forums , just this 1

Ann
30-Oct-06, 00:20
Runrig performed in Dominoes in Wick during the eighties I think.

Scaraben1976
30-Oct-06, 01:26
I fianlly caught up with the 'Wheel in Motion' DVD. I got it yesterday from Amazon. I'd never seen Donnie Munro head the band although I bought 'The Big Wheel' album back in the early nineties, so most of this music was familiar.

I used to be a RUNRIG fan inthe early - mid 90's but I grew out of it!

Interesting fact is that my brother appears in the video bit shot at Loch Lomond. At the start of "TEAR DOWN THESE WALLS" they do a wee pan of the crowd nfront of the stage, and you can see him wiping/scratching his nose!

Apart from appearing in an appeal with Jimmy Logan as a kid, that is his main claim to fame! Sad person he is! lol

goldenguernsey
30-Oct-06, 01:29
Runrig were at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh Dec 7th last year and we'll be seeing them again at the Blas Fest in 2007
Absolutely brilliant!
GG

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Oct-06, 03:05
Runrig also played Thurso High School once upon a time.

Malcolmdog
01-Nov-06, 01:26
Absolutely love them. Originally heard their record at a Burns Supper, an addict ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=runrig Check out this link for the guys on video!

Wish they would play in Ontario.. front row seats are me!!

willowbankbear
01-Nov-06, 09:41
Caithness Import wishes they`d move to Ontario, lol .